The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Some spoilers from the rehearsals were posted on YouTube (most have now been removed).
I didn't watch them because I want to be surprised, but I'm now more positive than ever it's going to be quite spectacular.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes Nadal pulled out last Thursday. He has an undisclosed injury likely related to problems he has been having with his left knee. He was to have been flag bearer for the Spanish team at the opening ceremony. Not sure who will take his place on the team or who will be flag bearer now.

Hopefully this will increase Federer's chance of winning the mens singles and defending his title in mens doubles.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

BBC Sport - London 2012: David Beckham given role in opening ceremony

David Beckham And Muhammad Ali Together On Stage Ahead Of London 2012 Olympics (PICTURES)

Finland's flag bearer is swimmer Hanna-Maria Seppälä, who attends at her fourth Olympic Games. She is the first woman as Finland's flag bearer at Summer Olympics.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Yes Nadal pulled out last Thursday. He has an undisclosed injury likely related to problems he has been having with his left knee. He was to have been flag bearer for the Spanish team at the opening ceremony. Not sure who will take his place on the team or who will be flag bearer now.

Hopefully this will increase Federer's chance of winning the mens singles and defending his title in mens doubles.
Spain´s flag bearer will be Pau Gasol (basketball player)

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Zara and her father Mark Phillips visit. Mark is the trainer for the U.S. eventiing team.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2exc0lh.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/27zgdus.jpg
Old 07-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Commoner

Any speculation on what role Beckham has been given?
Old 07-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithD View Post
Any speculation on what role Beckham has been given?
I imagine it's pretty hush hush and we really won't know until the opening ceremonies.

I can remember what a surprise it was to the crowd when Muhammed Ali stepped out in Atlanta to light the cauldron. The article alludes to Ali and Beckham appearing together during the opening ceremony so I would imagine they're a part near to or actually at the lighting of the 2012 cauldron.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Gentry

I think it will be the queen. She will step out of a helicopter with Daniel Craig being james bond dresses as a shepherdess carrying a cup of tea... In a bone china cup of course .
Old 07-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudur rose View Post
I think it will be the queen. She will step out of a helicopter with Daniel Craig being james bond dresses as a shepherdess carrying a cup of tea... In a bone china cup of course .
That would be the most memorable opening ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I imagine it's pretty hush hush and we really won't know until the opening ceremonies.

I can remember what a surprise it was to the crowd when Muhammed Ali stepped out in Atlanta to light the cauldron. The article alludes to Ali and Beckham appearing together during the opening ceremony so I would imagine they're a part near to or actually at the lighting of the 2012 cauldron.
Not wanting to diminish Beckham's achievements, but there are, in my opinion, far more deserving British athletes to do the actual lighting ceremony.
He, along with Ali, will probably have a significant part - but lighting? Unlikely.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Heir Apparent

ITA. I do think its very very unlikely that Ali would be lighting the cauldron in London as there are far better choices to be had among British athletes. I really don't think Beckham will have the final honor either. My bet would be on Redgrave. And now for something completely different... looking up some information I came across this blog and found it quite amusing. Hope you do too.

Who will light London's Olympic cauldron? - Sports Fans, Teams, Stadiums, Page 2 - Fandom Blog - ESPN Playbook - ESPN
Old 07-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
ITA. I do think its very very unlikely that Ali would be lighting the cauldron in London as there are far better choices to be had among British athletes. I really don't think Beckham will have the final honor either. My bet would be on Redgrave. And now for something completely different... looking up some information I came across this blog and found it quite amusing. Hope you do too.

Who will light London's Olympic cauldron? - Sports Fans, Teams, Stadiums, Page 2 - Fandom Blog - ESPN Playbook - ESPN
That was really funny, especially Mr. Bean and Jason Statham ones.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Champ is in no condition to travel. He is suffering from advanced Parkinson's disease and is said to be in very poor condition.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:59 PM

At the risk of being controversial, isn't it strange that the Spanish government wouldn't allow Queen Sofia to come to London to celebrate the Jubilee because of Gibraltar, yet they've no problem with Spanish royals coming to London to support the Spanish athletic team? It struck me as odd when I saw Infanta Pilar today, suddenly the rules change...
Old 07-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
The Champ is in no condition to travel. He is suffering from advanced Parkinson's disease and is said to be in very poor condition.
Ali is definitely a champion of the human spirit and from this article, it shows how the disease has affected him. He is in London though and has participated in the Beyond Sport awards with Beckham.

"Muhammad Ali, sport's greatest ever personality and David Beckham, the most recognisable sportsman living came together on Tuesday night at the Beyond Sport awards ahead of the London 2012 Olympics.

Both will have a role to play at the London 2012 opening ceremony on Friday night, with Ali having lit the flame at the curtain-raiser for the 1996 Games in Atlanta."

David Beckham And Muhammad Ali Together On Stage Ahead Of London 2012 Olympics (PICTURES)
Old 07-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

He's already in London. He was at an event with David Beckham last night. Muhammad Ali meets David Beckham as A-listers flock to London - Mirror Online

Buckingham Palace have confirmed that the organisers filmed material for the Games at the Palace. I've seen it speculated that they were filming a scene where the Queen (the real one, not an imposter) gives James Bond (Daniel Craig) a knighthood and asks him to undertake one more mission - to open the Olympic Games. Whether this happens, I don't know. Apparently the Queen was involved personally with the filming, as was Daniel Craig, so we'll have to wait and see.

On who will light the cauldron - I saw Sir Matthew Pinsent (4-time gold medalist in rowing) on the news last night who said it definitely wasn't him. He did, however, hint that it may be a non-athlete who does it; my mind immediately went to a serviceman or woman who had perhaps been injured in Afghanistan. He also seemed to suggest that there might be some sort of special mechanism to actually light it. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
At the risk of being controversial, isn't it strange that the Spanish government wouldn't allow Queen Sofia to come to London to celebrate the Jubilee because of Gibraltar, yet they've no problem with Spanish royals coming to London to support the Spanish athletic team? It struck me as odd when I saw Infanta Pilar today, suddenly the rules change...
Maybe its that the Jubilee was celebrating a head of state's 60 years on the throne and the Olympics celebrate the best in athletics from around the world?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I asked the same question at the time, BeatrixFan. I was told by some Spanish posters that because it's the Olympics, it's different. They're not really visiting the UK or the UK's Queen, they're visiting the Olympics.

Just demonstrates how pointless the boycott of jubilee the dinner was really.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Courtier

Does Gibralter compete as its own country at the Olympic games or is it part of GB?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
Does Gibralter compete as its own country at the Olympic games or is it part of GB?
Gibraltar has a (non internationally recognised) Olympic committee, but it does not send separate representatives.
Athletes from Gibraltar can be part of Team GB because, unless I'm mistaken, people of Gibraltar have are British citizens as well.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Serene Highness

I think Bermuda has their own team. The announcers always point out their Bermuda shorts.