2012 Olympic Games in London

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Bermuda has their own team. The announcers always point out their Bermuda shorts.
You are right - removed reference to Bermuda from my post.

Bermuda has an internationally recognised Olympic committee, and can participate in the Olympics separately. Their Olymppic Committee was created in 1935, and their first Summer Olympics was the following year, the Berlin 1936 Olympic Games. Since then, they have participated in every Olympics bar the 1980 one. This year, they are sending 8 athletes.

Last edited:
thank you both - I seemed to remember Bermuda had its own team which made me wonder about Gibralter.

At the risk of being controversial, isn't it strange that the Spanish government wouldn't allow Queen Sofia to come to London to celebrate the Jubilee because of Gibraltar, yet they've no problem with Spanish royals coming to London to support the Spanish athletic team? It struck me as odd when I saw Infanta Pilar today, suddenly the rules change...

I don't find it strange at all.

The first occasion was a protest against members of the British royal family visiting Gibraltar so the Spanish government made an official protest by not allowing their Queen to attend a celebration of the British Head of State.

This time the Spanish royal family are attending London to support Spanish athletes to do well.

So - no you can't go and celebrate with the British Head of State
but - yes you can go and support Spanish athletes.

So then I assume that Queen Sofia won't be attending the Queen's reception for heads of state and government on Friday then? The boycott of the lunch was entirely counter-productive anyway because it did nothing but strengthen the determination of the Gibraltarians to protect their British identity and thwart Spain's attempts to subvert their right to self-determination.

The Isle of Man athletes, despite the island not being part of the UK per se, compete for Team GB, the most famous of these being the road cycling world champion, Mark Cavendish. There's also an athlete (Shara Proctor) from the Caribbean island of Anguilla competing for the UK because Anguillans are entitled to British citizenship and have no olympic committee of their own.

Big mistake made last night when the south Korean flag was shown when the North Korean womens team came on to the pitch.

And BBC news tells me this morning that there are thousands of tickets still available even for the opening ceremony tomorrow ranging from £20.12 to £2000.12 :)

Also, people who have the "cheap" tickets for events in the aquatic arena are being offered refunds because they won't actually be able to see anything due to the curve of the rough.

Last edited:
Greek athlete thrown out

London 2012 Olympics: Greece athlete Voula Papachristou expelled for racist comment on Twitter - Telegraph

Being half Greek I have a special interest in this.

She is a member and spokeperson for the facist party golden dawn and should have imprinted in her mind:

qoute:
.....The Olympic Charter says that everyone should be able to play sport without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play........

So then I assume that Queen Sofia won't be attending the Queen's reception for heads of state and government on Friday then? The boycott of the lunch was entirely counter-productive anyway because it did nothing but strengthen the determination of the Gibraltarians to protect their British identity and thwart Spain's attempts to subvert their right to self-determination.

Queen Sofia's attendance at the reception is at the calendar of the spanish royal family
Recepción oficial ofrecida por S.M. la Reina Isabel II en honor de los altos dignatarios asistentes a la apertura de los XXX Juegos Olímpicos "Londres 2012". Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España

Different event.

The Jubilee was to celebrate the British Head of State so the Spanish government insisted on her boycotting.

The reception by the British Head of State is given to honour the visiting Heads of State and/or Government whose nations are competing.

The Jubilee was a celebration of a British achievement.

This time it is a chance to show the world Spanish acheivement on a world stage and like other Heads of States the Spanish will be there to cheer on their squad and to attend functions associated with the games - so long as those events aren't a celebration of a personal British achievement - which is what the Jubilee was.

Sorry, Iluvbertie, I think that's a bit of a stretch. Sofia can cheer on Spanish athletes without taking advantage of the Queen's hospitality, but she chooses not to do so. If you're happy to be entertained by the Queen of the UK at her palace for one event, it makes no sense not to do so for others. It's just bad manners.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the Olympic Games are not about politics but more about bringing nations together,I think that was the original idea!

So if Her Majesty the Queen of Spain is there in London as is her sister in law Infanta Pilar and her daughter, its not political and their there in person to support the Spanish Olympic team.

I also think that Sofia may have wished to go to the Jubilee events but was prevented b politicians. Such is the lot of a constitutional monarchy.

I also think the Queen will be very happy to have her.

Isn't Queen Sofia, Prince Phillip's sister? I think she was told by the Spanish government not to attend.Most royal families stay out of international politics. There job is to promote their country, not create controversies.

FanofMonaco said:
Isn't Queen Sofia, Prince Phillip's sister? I think she was told by the Spanish government not to attend.Most royal families stay out of international politics. There job is to promote their country, not create controversies.

Queen Victoria > princess royal victoria > queen Sofia of Greece > king Paul I of Greece > queen Sofia of Spain

Queen Victoria > princess Alice, grand duchess of Hesse and by Rhine > princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine > princess Alice of Greece and Denmark > prince Philip, duke of Edinburgh

So they are family but not brother and sister her brother is Constantine II of Greece, former king of Greece and godfather of the duke of Cambridge but will queen Sofia be at least represented through her son ?

Prince Philip and Queen Sofia are not cousins but they are connect throught the Greek royal house. The personal relations betweek BRF and SRF are quite close because the their closeness to the GRF. If fact, I've read the Charles is especially close the the SRF. I'm sure both houses understand that they have to do as they're told if the government insists. I think this whole business of ill feeling between the families is stuff and nonsense.

Last edited:

No she's King Constantine II sister.

The UK is to host a "hunger summit" on the final day of the Olympics, hoping to use the global sporting event as a catalyst for progress on the issue.
David Beckham has met Prime Minister David Cameron to urge the UK to ensure child hunger remains a global priority.
The ex-England footballer and Unicef ambassador gave Mr Cameron a letter, calling on him to lead the way.
The two men had a "shared determination" to do as much as they could to focus the international community's attention and resources on the issue.
Mr Cameron wanted to use the opportunity of the Olympics to focus minds on the problem and the need to give millions of children a better start in life.
BBC News - David Beckham discusses global hunger plan with PM

Exciting scenes from London's Hyde Park this evening!

The UK is to host a "hunger summit" on the final day of the Olympics, hoping to use the global sporting event as a catalyst for progress on the issue.
David Beckham has met Prime Minister David Cameron to urge the UK to ensure child hunger remains a global priority.
The ex-England footballer and Unicef ambassador gave Mr Cameron a letter, calling on him to lead the way.
The two men had a "shared determination" to do as much as they could to focus the international community's attention and resources on the issue.
Mr Cameron wanted to use the opportunity of the Olympics to focus minds on the problem and the need to give millions of children a better start in life.
BBC News - David Beckham discusses global hunger plan with PM
Thank you for posting this. I didn't know Beckham was a Unicef ambassador, glad to see he's using his celebrity to highlight child hunger.

EIIR said:

The Isle of Man athletes, despite the island not being part of the UK per se, compete for Team GB, the most famous of these being the road cycling world champion, Mark Cavendish. There's also an athlete (Shara Proctor) from the Caribbean island of Anguilla competing for the UK because Anguillans are entitled to British citizenship and have no olympic committee of their own.

The isle of man is a self governing crown dependency .

Someone just said on the news they think the cauldron should/would be lighted by Roger Bannister .

Today I saw the torch. : )

Breaking News: a fire has broken out in Weymouth the location due to host sailing events for the Olympics. News Reporters and VIPs were due to arrive at the site this afternoon as a press conference was being held. This has been cancelled and any onsite staff have been evacuated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom