The Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant: June 3, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Artemisia said:
Oh, there are a lot of pictures of Lady Louise and James; I just hadn't realised they weren't posted here.
- Sophie and little James
- Lady Louise

Is Sophie's dress a repeat from her recent trip to Monaco? Looks like repeating outfits immediately is a new trend with the royal ladies.

Is Sophie's dress a repeat from her recent trip to Monaco? Looks like repeating outfits immediately is a new trend with the royal ladies.
It is. Sophie wore the dress during one of the Monaco Grand Prix events.

Thank you so much! James must have been freezing in those shorts. I love Louise's dress. It pays tribute to all those who came from all over the world to pay respects to her Granny.
You are welcome. :)
The kids were not on the same barge as Sophie so they didn't really stand in freezing cold. Still, the poor things were probably really cold.

The kids were not on the same barge as Sophie so they didn't really stand in freezing cold. Still, the poor things were probably really cold.

I think just walking from the car to where they were going to be watching the pageant was enough for them to get a bit chilled. I'm glad they had sweaters on.

It is. Sophie wore the dress during one of the Monaco Grand Prix events.

I'm surprised Sophie chose that particular dress for this occasion. I was also surprised that Catherine didn't wear a coat. I guess that is why we didn't see more of her on deck. I hope the kids were warmly below, too.

Very cute picture of Beatrice and Louise!! :)

Downloading the BBC HD coverage!! - the coverage probably started about a half hour before my PVR started recording :( , so I'm glad to have this!.
Queen Penelope can you help me out where did you find the BBC HD coverage? :flowers:

ghost_night554 said:
Queen Penelope can you help me out where did you find the BBC HD coverage? :flowers:

Pirate Bay. You need to have a bitorrent client (like bit comet or utorrent) to download from the site, but other than that, you're good to go! You can download Prince Charles's tribute and the Armed Forces tribute as well :flowers:

Louise and James were inside a boat which is probably heated and i suspect their nannt had coats for them. Louise's dress was so cute! I would have loved and image of James with his cousins, but one of Louise is good enough.

Everyone looked like they had such fun despite the weather and the Queen looked thrilled!

I oly can said, ESPECTACULAR! simply magic. the queen, princess anne, york family, wessex family charles wiliam and catherine are perfecto, so so perfect! at last we see the wessex family in a royal event! I am so so so happy, I am fan of diana since my 14 years I have 29 today and this is the most beatiful royal event I see, william's wedding apart.
in st paul when is?

Has anyone seen a copy of the programme that was on ITV the other night called Prince Charles - The Restoration Prince? It was all about Charles's work with Dunfries House and it was truly fascinating. Camilla's sister Annabel is in it quite a lot as she was the interior designer for a guest house on the estate. My mother and I watched it and all Charles's inspirational work over several years was shown, which we hadn't see much mention of in the media before. Well worth a look if you can find it.

This is my favourite picture of the day:

The Thames Diamond Jubilee River Pageant | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Also, today's pageant has entered the Guiness Book of World Records as the biggest parade of boats ever.

I oly can said, ESPECTACULAR! simply magic. the queen, princess anne, york family, wessex family charles wiliam and catherine are perfecto, so so perfect! at last we see the wessex family in a royal event! I am so so so happy, I am fan of diana since my 14 years I have 29 today and this is the most beatiful royal event I see, william's wedding apart.
in st paul when is?

Happy birthday, Corazon, what a great way to celebrate your birthday! Take a look at this schedule of events for the next few days, the service is on Tuesday.

A slightly different perspective of Canaletto's view from several centuries ago, but some of those boats could have fit right into today's river parade.

Last edited:
How nice to see images and clips of the day. Amazing how two octogenarians can still stand for 3 1/2 hours! Nice to see the family, esp. when the boat with the Wessex & Yorks passed by & started waving at HM. Esp. the duke of Edinburgh seemed to be in a very good mood.

Just the weather was a bummer, it would have been much nicer without all the greyness, London along the Thames isn't an attractive sight with sunny weather, but the greyness really made all the 70-ties and 80-ties real estate look even more depressing than usual.

Apart from that, the BBC coverage was beyond hilarious, everything was 'glorious', 'magnificent', they talked about 'writing history' (this isn't the battle of Midway or such) and more extremely pompous terms and the guy who explained the history of the Thames was so 'funny'/irritating that I switched to the German ARD where the ever reliable Rolf Seelmann-Eggebert did not refer to the Queen as 'Royal Highness', as the BBC .

Last edited:
I don't see it posted already so this article has photographs of most of the royals - including Lady Louise and Viscount Severn

There seems to be no photographs or mention of Prince Edward at all - did he actually attend today does anyone know? I know he was meant to be on the boat with the Countess, Prince Andrew and the York girls, but there's no pics at all.

In your grouping - or was it another one - I did see Edward, once alongside Sophie and another he is at the railing of a boat. Later: Found it!

Edward at the Railing of a Boat

Picture of Lady Louise

Picture of Viscount Severn - wouldn't you say he's the image of his father - a very cute boy.

On another thread comments were made at how cold it was - and that Sophie made a comment to a journalist that she was freezing. I am wondering about the Queen and Phillip being out in the open under such conditions - especially Phillip given his obvious frailty these last months.

Then I saw this picture - with Charles placing his hand on his father's arm, having a talk - was he trying to get Philip to do something? Maybe sit down? Or go to the back to warm up?

Philip and Charles in Conversation

It cannot be easy to be monitoring such a strong willed person's health. It's a shame the weather turned so cold and nasty. Cannot have been good for anyone exposed out on that barge - even the singers. They were being drenched but they sang on gamely. But I am wondereing about 90-something lungs in that dampness, cold and wind, not to mention 80-something lungs, too.

Last edited:
Thank you all that have posted links and photos of this extraordinary day. Truly a celebration that will be hard to top.

Just curious if anyone has Sky's coverage or ITV's coverage of the pagent? I have only come across the beeb's coverage and would like to see the other's as well.

I couldn't get over CBC calling the Duchess "Kate Middleton" and CNN calling the DOC, "Camilla Parker Bowles" Who chooses these people like honestly! Also drove me nuts they kept mixing up the names of the Gloriana and Spirit of Chartwell.
My dad even told me to hurry up and get my journalism degree so I could fly out there and whoop their butts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I was better off watching NBC's silent coverage online to have avoided all that drivel!:lol: I'm just glad I got sound in time for the grand musical finale.

And with your knowledge, Ghost, I'm sure you can easily run rings around these so-called commentators who can't do their basic homework and research.

Last edited:
Happy birthday, Corazon, what a great way to celebrate your birthday! Take a look at this schedule of events for the next few days, the service is on Tuesday.

A slightly different perspective of Canaletto's view from several centuries ago, but some of those boats could have fit right into today's river parade.

oh no no my friend, today don't is my birthday, is in may 6. I am diana and family fan since that I was a girl of 14 years old and now I have 29 and this is the most espectacular event royal I see! willim's wedding apart.

My apologies, Corazon, sorry for the mixup; I realize now what you meant!:flowers: Happy belated birthday, anyway!:D

I couldn't get over CBC calling the Duchess "Kate Middleton" and CNN calling the DOC, "Camilla Parker Bowles" Who chooses these people like honestly! Also drove me nuts they kept mixing up the names of the Gloriana and Spirit of Chartwell.
My dad even told me to hurry up and get my journalism degree so I could fly out there and whoop their asses.

I guess it's not so bad that I didn't catch CNN's coverage then, because I would have been throwing :hammer: :bang: the entire time. Very sloppy journalism, in my opinion. Wish these people would do their research before going on worldwide television and embarrassing themselves and their country. You'll be a great journalist. You do such a great job here, and I bet you would run circles around these morons that get the big bucks for their blatant carelessness.

In your grouping - or was it another one - I did see Edward, once alongside Sophie and another he is at the railing of a boat. Later: Found it!

Edward at the Railing of a Boat

Picture of Lady Louise

Picture of Viscount Severn - wouldn't you say he's the image of his father - a very cute boy.

On another thread comments were made at how cold it was - and that Sophie made a comment to a journalist that she was freezing. I am wondering about the Queen and Phillip being out in the open under such conditions - especially Phillip given his obvious frailty these last months.

Then I saw this picture - with Charles placing his hand on his father's arm, having a talk - was he trying to get Philip to do something? Maybe sit down? Or go to the back to warm up?

Philip and Charles in Conversation

It cannot be easy to be monitoring such a strong willed person's health. It's a shame the weather turned so cold and nasty. Cannot have been good for anyone exposed out on that barge - even the singers. They were being drenched but they sang on gamely. But I am wondereing about 90-something lungs in that dampness, cold and wind, not to mention 80-something lungs, too.

That's a good shot of Edward looking out on the flotilla of boats; he looks quite pensive and thoughtful. Louise is getting tall and becoming a little beauty while the little-seen James is really an adorable little boy. And who knows if perhaps Charles was trying to convince his father to rest a bit; I'm sure he had to be concerned about both his parents out in that nasty cold weather for several hours. At least, he may have wanted to give it a try at some point during the occasion.

Last edited:
It was nice to see, the royal barge looked quite lovely on 'deck', and I'm sure we won't see anything like it again but it was no 'Canaletto' as some commentators were suggesting.

I thought there would have been larger vessels (I'm not talking of vessels that had to be moored due to size) take place in the pageant as well. And I was expecting (perhaps a little romanticised by the image of a painting myself) gloriously long banner flags to be flicking the breeze from every direction. There were many flags, I was just anticipating more.

Even though it's probably best due to the weather conditions, I wanted to see a heavier Commonwealth influence than was seen. War ships from HM Oceanic and South Pacific Island nations would have been a marvelous sight. A vessel with Indigenous Australian's playing their instruments of song while our Maori neighbours pronounce their presence and peoples from Tuvalu and Papua New Guinea raptured in song along the way. And what of Native Canadian Indians?

Now that would have been a sight to behold!

Last edited:
none photo with all the family?

I watched it on BBC but had the sound on mute for most of it. I just hate when they cut away from the main pageant to go and speak to what seemed like 500 different presenters and some celebrities. I just wanted to see the actual flotilla.

The main commentary on the BBC was by Paul Dickenson who usually commentates exclusively on sport; he's never done a royal event that I know of. Huw Edwards was sat in the studio, which was a waste because he has commentated on several Troopings and the Festival of Remembrance. He's not perfect but I doubt very much that he would've referred to HM as HRH The Queen.

I think this may have been used as an opportunity to practice for the Olympics. I know the weather was awful, but we still had sound problems as well as jumpy pictures etc. So the Beeb have a bit more work to do.

I watched it on BBC but had the sound on mute for most of it. I just hate when they cut away from the main pageant to go and speak to what seemed like 500 different presenters and some celebrities. I just wanted to see the actual flotilla.
CBC and CNN did the same thing drove me mad :bang: but oh well what can you do I suppose. I just hope they don't do it during the Thanksgiving Service.

ghost_night554 said:
CBC and CNN did the same thing drove me mad :bang: but oh well what can you do I suppose. I just hope they don't do it during the Thanksgiving Service.

BBC (via BBC Canada) wasn't much better, IMO. They usually kill it on big royal occasions like this, but they were sub par this time. The director should not be allowed to do events like this again, and why they had a presenter who does the sports is beyond me. The beeb should do better with the concert and the service (the stuff they've done a billion times), but I might record Sky's coverage...just in case.

Such a shame they had to be out in that rain and cold! I really hope no one gets a cold!
Othewise, I loved watching this, it was a real triumph!

Back
Top Bottom