The Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant: June 3, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry can't keep still with the hornpipe playing! :D

I noticed that! The orchestra is really outdoing itself with Rule Britannia!

Love the bopping. Also love the Duchess of Cambridge laughing as the Duchess of Cornwall sang along to Rule Britania. Probably wasn't, but looked like she was laughing at Camilla's singing.

Of the royals on the barge, I only saw the Cambridges and Harry sing God Save the Queen. Interesting.

What a rousing finale! One of the best moments in a memorable occasion.

Last edited:
Of the royals on the barge, I only saw the Cambridges and Harry sing God Save the Queen. Interesting.
I saw Charles and Camilla singing too. In fact, Camilla looked like she sang along with every song.

Also, they're going down the stairs in order: HM, the Duke, the Prince, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Cambridges then Harry. They actually waited at the top to get into order!

They looked as if they were just dying to start dancing a little jig there!

William keeps bumping his head on Kate's brolly. I think the Strathearn tartan is lovely with Kate's outfit.

There'll be a few hot baths enjoyed this evening I think. What stamina on the part of HM and the DoE; more than 4 hours standing in the cold wind and rain. They truly are marvels.

The Duchess of Cambridge nearly took her husband's eye out with that brolly!

Does anyone know who the lady in white is who was talking to Kate?

Ha! Camilla is the lady in white. :D I have come in just as it's ending - the last 10 minutes - literally. :p What a delight Camilla is - she was having fun with the Irish Jig - probably would have danced had she been able to. And she did get Kate to smile and laugh.

Must have been tiring standing all that way. Awful weather. :sad: But there you go.

I want to thank TRF for this because no way would I have seen any of this let alone the very end and watched Harry wait at the top of the stairs when disembarking to exit in the proper order. Good chap.

Last edited:
Everything looks AMAZING :rose: :britflag::britflag::britflag:

What makes the weather so disappointing is that we've had really brilliant weather up until now. Last weekend there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the temperature was 25-28C.

Also, living in the northern half of the British Isles, we usually get lots of rain while London and the south east get very little. In fact the south east of England has officially been in drought for a new months now. But, today we've been completely dry and quite bright and London has had awful rain. It almost never happens that way around!

For anyone who is taping BBCA you might want to add at least 15 or more minutes to your recording. I enjoyed it I wish there was less talking and more showing of the pageant.

Last edited:
Ha! Camilla is the lady in white. :D

No, I was referring to a younger woman with brunette hair who was speaking to Kate. If I can't recognize Camilla by now, I'd better hang up my tiara!;)

Kudos to the pageant organizers for putting together such a marvelous and elaborate event, and to all the participants and bystanders who carried forward in the uncooperative weather to make this such a memorable celebration for the Queen and the Royal Family.

Last edited:
What a wonderful celebration! It was the most spectacular thing I have ever seen and to think, the weather was ghastly but everyone pushed on and did an incredible job. Im glad I was able to see it. Catherine looked beautiful in that red dress. I wonder if they are going to have some nice hot tea. I would! ;)

Well this was an awesome display of pangeantry as only the Brits know how to do. I'm glad I caught it, if only the end.

@Nico: We didn't say she is unhappy, but there were enough pictures at the end of the parade where it was visible that she is cold because of the bad weather. Maybe you didn't see these pictures, our national TV station was broadcasting live from London and not via BBC and therefore it is entirely possible the broadcasting differed. These comments are just observations, so calling them "stupid" is not very nice.

This was very interesting. Nice pictures I could see on BBC:

BBC News - Key moments from Thames river pageant

Just one small notice - I felt that the queen looked a little tired. She is definitely walking slower - but she is already 86 and this program is tiresome even for younger people so my deep respect goes out to her for managing all these celebrations with neverending energy.

I agree that the Queen was perhaps flagging a little towards the end, which was entirely understandable. Hopefully the Queen can get an early night, and a restful day tomorrow given the concert doesn't start until evening. Apparently the weather should be a bit better tomorrow, it surely can't get worse.

ATTENTION EVERYONE!
A programme on the Windsor Horse Pageant is on now on ITV1. Here's a link: tvpc.com - ITV-1

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a shame that the rain played such a part, but I think it's a good thing we didn't have the very warm, hot weather we had last week. At least with cold weather you can have a wrap or put on another layer. That weather would have seen so many people sunburnt and suffering from the heat (especially those who were on their feet all day).

Question: at the end the choir and orchestra sang/played the National Anthem. Why didn't Philip, Charles, William, and Harry salute?

thank you ghost nite for posting a link so we could watch it in the US. Our family really enjoyed watching it, the shots of London, and the myriad types of boats. Felt the interviews with some of the veteran sailors quite moving.

The event is reminiscent of those grandeur PR/propaganda celebrations. Patriotism at such events comes across as insincere.

Last edited:
Are there any pics of the other members of the extended royal family besides the main branch?
I think they might have been present on other boats, like were the Middletons.
By the way, didn't Carole Middleton attend as well?
I haven't seen any pics of her.

Yes, the Middleton family were on the Edwardian (I think it was). They were briefly on camera. Glad the media put the focus squarely on HM, as it should have been.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Nico: We didn't say she is unhappy, but there were enough pictures at the end of the parade where it was visible that she is cold because of the bad weather. Maybe you didn't see these pictures, our national TV station was broadcasting live from London and not via BBC and therefore it is entirely possible the broadcasting differed. These comments are just observations, so calling them "stupid" is not very nice.
I agree with you. There were numerous times during the broadcast that the queen was very obviously cold. That does not mean she had lots of fun and thoroughly enjoyed the event. The stamina of the Queen and Duke is very admirable. I hope they got a nice shot of sherry before leaving the barge.

Carole was there; I was quite pleased to see the BBC chose to show the Middletons briefly and then focussed on the RF.

I think there will be photos of the other royals. Given they were scattered over several boats it might take some time for the photos to come through.

I just can't get over his impeccable posture. Straight as an arrow! Wish mine was as good!

He so enjoyed it! I guess HM will have to listen to his impressions of the Pageant for months on end....:flowers: Makes one realise just how much he gave up for her, the Queen of his heart.

Unfortunately, I was only able to watch it intermittently. I'm hoping to find a link that shows the full event. I did see the event at the National Theater and loved how the Queen seemed to call Camilla over, obviously because of their shared interest in horses. Everyone looked wonderful, although I am not a big fan of the style of the Duchess of Cambridge's dress (I liked the color).

I give it to you Brits: You excel at pageantry. No one else does it better.

Was that a War Horse puppet erected at the National Theater? I was watching without commentary at the time and couldn't quite catch that, though I saw HM's reaction.

The event is reminiscent of those grandeur PR/propaganda celebrations. Patriotism at such events comes across as insincere.

Maybe it is in a country that hasn't been a free country for long. England and in a way Scotland, too, were among the first countries worldwide where the nobility forced the king to have a say in all things concerning the country and it moved on from that. So this is purely the wish of the people to celebrate their queen. If they hadn't want it they could have contacted their local MPs and thrown in stone after stone after stone. Si it really was a people's pegeant to say thank you to their souverain.

Back
Top Bottom