The Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant: June 3, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now passing the Tower of London, looking like it was just built yesterday!:lol:

They are raising the bridge and looks wonderful!!
It's supposed to be a lucky sign to see the bridge rising, so there'll be millions of lucky people worldwide today. :)
An impressive sight, and I loved the salutes.

The Thrones remain unoccupied though. The seats might have gotten a bit wet from all the rain, which is why the Queen and the Duke stand right behind them.

Artemisia said:
It's supposed to be a lucky sign to see the bridge rising, so there'll be millions of lucky people worldwide today.

Lucky sign to see tower bridge rise?? Wow! That so cool, I've never heard of that before!!

What a great undershot view of the bridge. And hopefully it'll be my lucky day seeing the drawbridge rise.

It's supposed to be a lucky sign to see the bridge rising, so there'll be millions of lucky people worldwide today. :)
I didn't know that. I'll take all the luck I can get at the moment.

One advantage to only having the small boats is that it keeps the scale of this huge pageant very personal and human. It makes it very much a flotilla of Her Majesty's subjects and admirers.
Had there been large ships in the parade, the intimacy would have been a bit lost. I think this is lovely.
Plus one get to see the larger vessels and hear the comments of those on board if you are watching on television. Some of those interviews have been heartfelt.

Unfortunately, I'm watching without any commentary so I'm sure I'm missing a lot of information and these personal interviews.

My, the manoeuvring is impressive.
But I bet there will be sighs of relief when the barge finally docks.

Very impressive parade but I agree that HM looks unhappy because of the cold weather. Don't think that was a stupid comment ....

If there is ever something you can count on, it is the fact that you can never rely of the British weather in the summer.

CBC is playing music at the moment as they show scenes from the pagent....so lovely!!

Very impressive parade but I agree that HM looks unhappy because of the cold weather. Don't think that was a stupid comment ....

No, it's not a stupid comment, it's just an observation. I thought HM looked chilly at times, but at least she's remaining where she is despite the less than ideal conditions.

Thanks, Artemisia, for the new link. I'll try it now.

Last edited:
Apparently, Charles and Camilla weren't the only ones to make a surprise appearance at a Street Party. The Duke of York and Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie attended the Big Jubilee Lunch at All Saints Church in Fulham ahead of the Diamond Jubilee River Pageant.
- Picture

I guess the surprise appearances were for security reason?
Eugenie looked lovely.

Even if Elizabeth is cold she's still standing out there waving and watching all the boats go by, Philip at her side (not bad for a couple who are 86 and 91). I'm sure that means alot to the people participating in the pageant.

Has anybody spotted Lady Louise and Viscount Severn yet?
Louise and James didn't take part in the Pageant. Their parents were on the same barge as Boris Johnson.

I guess the surprise appearances were for security reason? Eugenie looked lovely.
Most probably.
Arranging proper security measures for street parties would have been very hard, not to mention annoying for all those present. Hence the suprise nature of the appearance.

I wonder as well if the suprise visits are partly so that there is no disappointment if a place "only" gets a lesser royal when you know somewhere else is getting someone more senior. Whereas any surprise visit is just a jolly nice surprise.

Louise and James are supposed to be on HMS President with the Camerons - wasn't the royal party mean to be coming off their barge and onto that to watch the finale? Are they running a bit late or maybe they've stayed put because of the weather?

Queen Penelope said:
If I didn't know better, I would have thought that Harry and William were having pictures taken in front of the thrones!!! LOL

Funny I thought the same thing the way the snapped to attention side by side.

Madame Royale said:
Thanks for the confirmation Charlotte, and those who proceeded to respond :)

I noticed she took out her mobile and made or received a call before waving to onlookers again.

You see them at big events but does that not make the Countess look like a "normal" what ever that it. Love this coverage from the BBC make me feel like I am in London. Will some day.

The comments about the Queen looking miserable are totally stupid in my view. The Queen has been in public view for some 3 solid hours by now, and not once has she sat down. It's impossible for anyone to smile and laugh for 3 hours straight. It reminds me that the Queen was accused of looking unhappy on a foreign tour somewhere and she said "my face is sore from smiling".

Add on to that the fact that it's cold, it's raining and she's been on her feet the whole time, only a robot would have a constant smile on its face in such a scenario.

Back
Top Bottom