The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Diamond Jubilee 2012

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2012, 03:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Queen's Diamond Jubilee: Royal memorabilia - Telegraph

James Bond 'to be knighted by Queen' for Olympics - Telegraph

Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books

Thank you, E! Last year, I took off from work and was up at the crack of dawn wearing my faux tiara to watch the festivities. And unfortunately, I didn't think to take a picture of the solar Queen.
Coincidentally, the Telegraph did a list of odd jubilee souvenirs ... And guess what was included
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne....html?image=12

Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
Coincidentally, the Telegraph did a list of odd jubilee souvenirs ... And guess what was included
Queen's Diamond Jubilee: Royal memorabilia - Telegraph
Yes, that was the figurine in all her solar glory! Thank you, Michelle.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Peppa pig meets the Queen! Monarch joins cast of cult children's cartoon for special Jubilee episode
Quote:
She has been immortalised in everything from paint to plasticine and bronze. Now the Queen is set to make a guest appearance as a cartoon character in the phenomenally successful children’s show Peppa Pig. The royal guest star is even seen joining in Peppa's favourite activity, donning her wellies and jumping in muddy puddles – with a tiara on her head.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Funny you should post that Artemisia, as Hamleys (one of the world's largest toy shops) have created a special window display which recreates the Queen's image in Lego. There's also a giant Lego QEII sitting on her throne, complete with Lego corgi. All in honour of the Diamond Jubilee.

I think the Lego Queen bears more resemblance to HM than some of the figures in Madame Tussauds!

Hamleys honours the Jubilee with a Lego Queen | Toy Industry | News by ToyNews
Old 05-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Certainly looks better than some of the dreadful Tussauds creations that are supposed to be the Queen, including the 1969 version!
And while we are on this...

Their Grand-est Day Out: Wallace and Gromit appear in new film to mark Queen's Diamond Jubilee
Quote:
They've solved murders, battled mutant rabbits and evil penguins and even been to the moon. But Wallace and Gromit's latest adventure brings them down to earth, with the popular animated characters preparing for the Diamond Jubilee in a new film created especially for the big event. The clip is only a minute in length but took a 30-strong team of animators from Aardman Studios three months to make.
Can't wait till the full version comes out. I absolutely LOVE Wallace and Gromit!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
...Hamleys (one of the world's largest toy shops) have created a special window display which recreates the Queen's image in Lego. There's also a giant Lego QEII sitting on her throne, complete with Lego corgi.
I agree! :-) this is quite amazing!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Yes, that was the figurine in all her solar glory!
It certainly warrants recording for posterity...

v Solar-Powered Waving Queen Figurine (£17.50)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar-Powered Waving Queen Figurine £17.50.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	285249  
Old 05-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

A really lovely article about Her Majesty.

The unseen Queen: Sir Trevor McDonald on insights he gleaned about Her Majesty while making a documentary for Diamond Jubilee
Quote:
During my career as a television journalist I’ve been privileged to meet the Queen on many occasions and it has often struck me that, behind her formal public persona, she is kind and thoughtful on a very practical level. I remember talking to her in 2007 in Uganda, where she had come to meet the Commonwealth Heads Of Government, and she told me she had arrived at Kampala airport just as daylight had given way to impenetrable darkness. Night falls like a curtain in the tropics. There is no dusk. And as she was driven out of the airport, Her Majesty peered into the blackness of the African night to see the route lined with shadowy forms waving flags.
‘I suddenly realised that all these people had taken the trouble to come and greet me, so I put the light on in the car so I could wave back,’ she told me. These small acts of consideration typify her. We know the Queen has huge affection for the Commonwealth – she regards herself as head of a family of nations. But less well-documented is the almost maternal sense of hospitality she invests in the role.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Majesty

Thank you for the article . I personally love reading these types of stories. They give us a glimpse of Her Majesty that we won't otherwise get. The gesture of putting the light on, so that she could wave to the crowd who came out in the darkness of the night just to greet her speaks volumes to me. This is a woman who has a big, kind and compassionate disposition. United Kingdom should be proud to call her their Queen.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Telegraph have complied a cool round up of the top 20 Diamond Jubilee themed fashion and jewellery pieces from designers including Alexander McQueen, Vivienne Westwood and Topshop. Some are prohibitively expensive, others are much more reasonable.

I personally love the scarf by Liberty and the Topshop bag with all the corgis on it. Either would make a really nice keepsake.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee: Top 20 fashion pieces - Fashion Galleries - Telegraph
Old 05-06-2012, 04:04 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

They are...big.
Two bloomin' lovely (flower pot) heads of state! Giant models of Queen and Prince Philip go on display to promote the Jubilee | Mail Online
Old 05-06-2012, 06:34 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

They also appear to have spent a lot of time in tanning salon.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh, my, Chia Pets on steroids! Prince Philip looks like Julius Caesar from the side as well.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Queen's Diamond Jubilee marked by amazing aerial pictures showing Britain from above | Mail Online

Queen's advisers tell her to drop 'empire' from honours as it's 'inapproriate' in post-imperial Britain | Mail Online

- What's it supposed to be without the E?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Aristocracy

Our diamond years | Mail Online
Old 05-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Queen's Diamond Jubilee: Fed-up Britons decide to flee after Bank Holiday wash-out | Mail Online

The title suggest they're fleeing because of the Jubilee, which is wrong.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

It makes sense when bank holidays are side by side, as they were for the wedding last year, to take a holiday. You'd only have to use a dew days leave and you'd be able to go away for a week or so.

I remember last April my boss was able to take a 2 week holiday, but it only cost him 3 or 4 days of his leave because of the extra day off for the royal wedding. If you're quick enough to book the days before everyone else does it's a no brainer.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Wallace and Gromit bring out the bunting for Queen's Diamond Jubilee
Wallace and Gromit bring out the bunting for Queen's Diamond Jubilee - hellomagazine.com

Quote:
Wallace & Gromit Team Up With The National Trust To Celebrate The Queen's Diamond Jubilee
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Se...duct=Royalty#1
Old 05-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

For the Jubilee thread:

Taser which transmits 50,000 electric volts to guard the Queen during her Jubilee walkabouts
Quote:
Police officers protecting the Queen have been issued with controversial Taser stun guns in the run up to the Diamond Jubilee. The 86-year-old monarch has made clear she wants to meet as many members of the public as possible at events to mark her 60 years on the throne. But her determination to personally greet thousands of well-wishers has, inevitably, brought with it an increased security risk particularly from so-called ‘fixated persons’.
Well, I'll eat my hat! Royal Diamond Jubilee afternoon tea sees THAT Princess Beatrice hat turned into a praline profiterole
Quote:
To mark the Queen's six decades on the throne, The Berkeley Hotel's pastry chefs will be magicking up biscuits, fancies and choux buns in the form of the most memorable hats worn by the Royal Family. And brilliantly capturing the millinary zeitgeist, The Royal Collection will include a praline profiterole inspired by Princess Beatrice's infamous Philip Treacy royal wedding hat. The clever pastry chefs have also rendered in vanilla biscuit form Queen Elizabeth’s legendary Imperial crown, worn for her coronation in 1953, which is adorned with intricate icing and sugar diamonds.
Yummy!

Tags
diamond jubilee parade, windsor castle