The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Diamond Jubilee 2012

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Free seats to Jubilee procession to be made available
Free seats to*Jubilee procession*to be made available | Latest celebrity news hellomagazine.com

Quote:
Artisans Work on Royal Barge's Royal Cypher
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Se...roduct=Royalty#

Quote:
Victoria and Elizabeth II of England: queens of queens
http://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_ing...toria-jubileo/

http://translate.google.com.tr/trans...leo%2F&act=url

Old 04-17-2012, 08:25 AM

Windsor Jubilee Celebrations

I impressed my son and daughter in law last week when I took them to see the Long Walk just at the moment Queen Elizabeth was leaving by the back gate. I couldn't have planned it better.

Meanwhile Windsor is looking forward to huge Jubilee celebrations including a parade and muster of 2,500 troops from the army, navy and air force on May 19th. Well worth a visit.

The previous weekend May 10th-13th the traditional Royal Windsor Castle Tattoo is being replaced by a Diamond Jubilee Pageant with the Queen herself attending on the 13th. I have written about it all on the Infobarrel web site.

Windsor Jubilee Parade - InfoBarrel

Old 04-22-2012, 03:47 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Jubilee Thread:

King is exiled from the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee banquet - Telegraph

Queen invites stars of arts to present her gift to the nation - Telegraph

The Queen is a secret fan of Leonard Cohen - Telegraph
Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The Queen
Quote:
Just over half a century later, Queen Elizabeth II ascended the throne on February 6, 1952, not only as Queen of the United Kingdom but also as the Queen of Pakistan (as Pakistan had still not become a republic). She proclaimed that: “I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong”. Since then, Elizabeth II has been a great example of service and strength of character, not only for the countries in which she is head of state, but for a large part of the world.
A lovely article from Pakistan's point of view.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The Queen not to look a Russian gift horse in the mouth
Russian horses at Queen Elizabeth’s coronation anniversary
Quote:
The skills of Russian horsemen will adorn the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II coronation. Horsemen from the Guard of Honour of the Presidential Regiment and the Kremlin Equestrian Riding School have been invited to take part in ceremonies at Windsor Castle devoted to the 60th anniversary of coronation of Elizabeth II.
The Russian team will present a new programme, says an official of the Kremlin Equestrian Riding School, Oleg Gladyshev. “We prepared the “Traditions of Russia” programme especially for the celebrations that includes elements of Russian “Dzhigitovka” cavalry martial arts. We will present our program from the 10th to the 13th of May before the Queen and the Royal family,” Oleg Gladyshev said.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Majesty

Thank you for the links . Very interesting indeed. Very fitting that there's going to be such an extensive Windsor Horse Show this year, since Her Majesty loves anything that has to do with the animals (and riding them). I think she will enjoy watching some of the stunts the Russians will bring to the table.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is for Diamond Jubilee thread

Queen Elizabeth II Archive Footage | ITN Source
Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Jubilee Thread; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dals-eBay.html

So surprised by this.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Quite appalling and disrespectful, in my opinion. Obviously, they didn't deserve the honor if they are treating it as another way to make a few pounds. I'm sorry, but that's disgraceful.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Just when I thought some of my fellow countrymen and women couldn't sink any lower. Shocking.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Heir Apparent

That's pretty shameful and unappreciative of the honor given to them. I can only imagine other potential recipients who would have loved to receive a Jubilee medal and valued it. I guess everything has a price nowadays.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

I'm surprised that someone paid £350 for one. People lose them, innocently or otherwise, so they'll be available for anyone to purchase at a much lower price pretty soon. Here's a genuine Golden Jubilee medal available for £50. I don't believe they're engraved, so someone must have been willing to pay quite a premium for getting one right away.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:48 PM
Courtier

Sign of the times, the economy is not healthy and many people sell desirable items because they need the cash.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
Sign of the times, the economy is not healthy and many people sell desirable items because they need the cash.
The same thing happens to Maundy coins, too. I've heard that coin dealers will actually wait outside the cathedral to make offers as the recipients leave. A few sets always make it on to the market (more than 1400 sets of 4 coins were handed out this year).
Old 04-28-2012, 05:38 AM
Majesty

It is sad that these people feel that it is more important to put food on the table and pay the rent and other bills than wear a piece of medal occasionally but that is the situation for many of them.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It is sad that these people feel that it is more important to put food on the table and pay the rent and other bills than wear a piece of medal occasionally but that is the situation for many of them.
It must indeed be dire circumstances when a medal recipient sells an honor. Speaking personally, I have my deceased dad's WWII medals of which he was inordinately proud and when he came back from the war, he stowed them away in a box and would take them out every so often to tell my sister and me about them. If he never sold his medals because as a war veteran he valued them as a symbol of his service to his country, neither would I in these tough economic times. And believe me, times were also tough for my parents bringing up two children in the post-war years and they could have used every penny they could get. I can't speak for anyone but myself here, of course, and naturally every person's situation is entirely different. One must do what one has to if this brings in needed money to avert hardship, if indeed that's the case, and not because you're looking for a lucrative deal because the Queen awarded you an honors medal in her Jubilee year.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sorry, the people who are receiving these medals - police, firefighters, ambulance crews, serving service personnel - are all likely to be earning well above the average wage in the UK. They enjoy job security and the kind of gold plated pensions that those of us in the private sector can only dream of. A very small minority of them might face redundancy at some stage (although when they need to reduce numbers in the public sector it's generally done through retirements and slowing recruitment), but they will receive hugely generous pay-offs including educational grants and grants for each child they have.

I doubt there are a great many of them who are struggling to put food on the table. These people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
It must indeed be dire circumstances when a medal recipient sells an honor.
I wouldn't assume that. 450,000 of them are being awarded, and most of the recipients get it essentially automatically, so just statistically there are likely to be thousands in the hands of people who are relatively ambivalent about them. For better or for worse, sometimes people just have different priorities in life.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Heir Apparent

As you say, people do have different priorities. If being awarded with a medal ensues a feeling of ambivalence in certain recipients who care nothing for the honor, then it's their decision to do what they want with it. Though that response just leaves me bewildered personally.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent

One would think they would experience some level of embarrassment the next time they are required to appear in full dress uniform and their CO notices they are missing the Jubilee Medal.

Tags
diamond jubilee parade, windsor castle