The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Diamond Jubilee 2012

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Aristocracy

Comparing Canadian Involvement in Queen Victoria's and Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilees

Canada and Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian

Old 06-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Currently watching Prince Charles's tribute to the Queen on BBC One, and it is truly fascinating. All the tiaras and jewels are twinkling amazingly in all the colour footage from the coronation. We've just seen some wonderful footage of Winston Churchill at Balmoral with the RF too. Definitely worth a watch if possible.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Commoner

awsome tribute by Prince Charles. Really rare footage from royal private archives and photo albums. Young Prince driving his electric car in Balmoral - excellent !
Old 06-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Currently watching Prince Charles's tribute to the Queen on BBC One, and it is truly fascinating. All the tiaras and jewels are twinkling amazingly in all the colour footage from the coronation. We've just seen some wonderful footage of Winston Churchill at Balmoral with the RF too. Definitely worth a watch if possible.
I'm so jealous you have the chance to watch it!
Hoped BBC World might be showing it, but no luck.
Hopefully, the full film will later be available somewhere online later.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

It really was incredibly touching. I'll be honest - I had tears in my eyes on a couple of occasions. There was some never before seen footage of the Queen on the flight back from Kenya after her father had died and the look on her face was haunting. Also, Charles was visibly upset watching footage of Mountbatten's funeral.

Overall, the impression was one of a family having fun together in their private time. It was lovely to see footage of a young Princess Margaret playing with Charles and Anne. Prince Philip taking part in all the children's escapades.

There was also new footage of the Queen holding a very small Prince Charles, while George VI and the Queen Mother looked on, as proud as punch. There was footage of the Queen walking arm in arm with her parents on the same occasion. You could really sense the love and the loss; Charles said he wished he could've known his grandfather.

If you all can find some way of watching this tribute, I would strongly recommend it. One of the most touching programmes on the royals I've ever seen.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Aristocracy

Is anyone able to upload the program (possibly through youtube), for those of us here in the US, since we are not able to watch BBC videos?
Old 06-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sure it'll end up on YouTube shortly. I'd have a go at uploading it but I completely forgot to record it.

The Telegraph have a screen grab from the video on the plane back from Kenya after her father's death. It speaks for itself really.

First footage of Queen after father died released for first time - Telegraph
Old 06-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is this tribute part of The Diamond Queen series or is it something else?
Old 06-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione
Is this tribute part of The Diamond Queen series or is it something else?
The Diamond Queen series only had 3 parts and finished in February. These two shows, one aired on BBC1 tonight and one on ITV are not part of that series.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I'm hoping to pop along and see HM in the flesh for the first time!
Oh, I hope you'll be able to see Her Majesty when she's visiting. How exciting.
Thank you for the pictures. They're indeed lovely. London definitely looks very festive. The nation went all out to celebrate their monarch, who deserves every bit of celebrating for her devotion to her people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
- The Jubilee Crystal Diamond 1 (how stunning is that?)
That diamond is gorgeous.
Quote:
It really was incredibly touching. I'll be honest - I had tears in my eyes on a couple of occasions...
Thank you for giving those of us who are not able to watch this special an overview. I think the public is finding out that the Royal Family is really no different from any other family. They love each other, have fun with each other, share memories, etc. In the BBC video that you posted, it was delightful to see such intimate moments such as Charles' first steps, the tickle fest (and I love that he was giggling about it even now), and the antics in the sand.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Commoner

What I absolutely fantastic programme, great to see the intimate moments shared for us all. Hopefully anyone who couldn't see it will be able to soon online.

It was very moving seeing the footage of The Queen with Charles and George VI and the Queen Mother. The Prince of Wales seemed very moved when seeing it and speaking about his Grandfather's death. I don't remember seeing a senior royal like Charles speak about his death before but I am probably mistaken.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

thank you Artemesia for all the photos. The one of King Edward is interesting because of the likeness to Prince Harry - just look at that nose.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...83_964x656.jpg

compared with

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen

The Diamond Queen series only had 3 parts and finished in February. These two shows, one aired on BBC1 tonight and one on ITV are not part of that series.
Gotcha. They haven't aired in America yet, but they're showing them this weekend on BBC America. I hope these programs make their way here eventually as well.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post

Thank you for giving those of us who are not able to watch this special an overview. I think the public is finding out that the Royal Family is really no different from any other family. They love each other, have fun with each other, share memories, etc. In the BBC video that you posted, it was delightful to see such intimate moments such as Charles' first steps, the tickle fest (and I love that he was giggling about it even now), and the antics in the sand.
You're quite welcome, Daria. What you mention above is quite spooky, as the first thing my mum said to me after the documentary was almost word for word what you've said here.

Another documentary immediately followed this one, except it was on ITV. It had interviews with Anne, Andrew and Eugenie. Alan Titchmarsh was allowed to see some of the letters between Princess Elizabeth and her mother, and they were so sweet and genuinely loving. It was just after Elizabeth and Philip got married, and they both were so clearly deeply in love as they each wrote to QEQM to tell her how happy their marriage had made them. QEQM responded to her daughter that she and the King already loved Philip like a son.

Anyone who thinks the royals are cold and aloof needs to see both documentaries to see just how wrong they are.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Aristocracy

I was able to watch Charles' tribute to his mother using the following link provided by ghost night554:

tvpc.com - BBC 1

This is BBC1 as it airs so the program is already over, but it may prove useful in the future.

Thanks ghost!!!

I really enjoyed the program as well. Very fun to see all that footage and Charles' commentary was wonderful. The more I see/hear him the more my admiration grows. He was warm and I just loved every time he said "mama".
Old 06-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Can't believe I missed that link.
Thanks for providing it, Ghost; I wish I remembered about it. Any chance of repeats?
Old 06-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Can't believe I missed that link.
Thanks for providing it, Ghost; I wish I remembered about it. Any chance of repeats?
It is being repeated on BBC1 at 13:45 on Monday and then again at 00:40 on Tuesday morning
Old 06-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Goodchild View Post
It is being repeated at 13:45 on Monday and then again at 00:40 on Tuesday morning
Thank you so much for the information, Andrew!
13:45 is 16:45 here, I'll be just back from work, so hopefully, will not miss it.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

The BBC website says that Prince Charles's tribute to the Queen will be repeated on Monday at 13:45 BST, which is 08:45 on the East coast US, 05:45 West coast US, and 14:45 CET. Probably not ideal for those across the pond, unless of course you're taking a day off for the occasion.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

She will never, never abdicate: Queen will serve the country for the rest of her life
Quote:
She has devoted her life, whether short or long, to the service of her people. And on the eve of her Diamond Jubilee celebrations, the Queen’s closest friends say she means to keep that promise, insisting she will ‘never, never, never’ abdicate. Confidantes told the Mail that the Queen is as determined as ever to serve her country for the rest of her life. Her fierce resolve should not be seen as a snub to her son and heir, Prince Charles, they stress, but as a sign of the over-riding sense of duty she has felt since taking her Coronation vows six decades ago.
That much is obvious even to me, without any "confidantes". Even before she became Queen, she made a pledge to serve her realms till the end: "I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong."

It WILL be the Elizabeth Tower: MPs support renaming the tower housing Big Ben after the Queen
Quote:
The tower housing Big Ben will be renamed in honour of the Queen under plans supported by the majority of MPs. David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband are among senior figures from all parties who have backed the proposal to call it the Elizabeth Tower. A total of 331 MPs have now signed up to the campaign. It mirrors a tribute bestowed on Queen Victoria, the only other monarch in British history to have a Diamond Jubilee.
Great news!
This is a lasting honour - and one Her Majesty certainly deserves.

Tags
diamond jubilee parade, windsor castle