The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Diamond Jubilee 2012

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-01-2012, 01:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Dig us out, there's a good boy! The moment Charles and Anne were buried up to their necks in sand by Prince Philip as Queen filmed it
This picture is just adorable.
And I love the fact Prince Charles always calls Her Majesty "Mama"; it's a bit weird (for me) but so very sweet.
I cannot wait to see the entire television tribute; by the looks of it, it is going to be at least as delightful as the ones other members of the Royal Family had made.
That picture is beyond precious . I love the expression on the dog's face. It's like he's a little confused as to what the fuss is about . I too love that he calls Her Majesty 'Mama'. It's very sweet and intimate. I remember when he gave a speech after the Golden Jubilee Concert, and his opening line was 'Your Majesty...Mummy'. I thought it was a nice touch. He was letting us know that this woman is more than a monarch; she's a beloved mother as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I loved that article, particularly the image of Charles and Anne in the sand. How very normal and familiar. I look forward to this documentary, I am sure Charles will provide us with lots of information and unseen clips.

Looking at the images, it is striking how much Zara looks like her mother as a young girl. The only difference was Zara had straight hair, whereas Anne has curls. I can see the resemblance between Louise too, but she is more like the Queen than Anne.
That was the first thing that popped into my head. The resemblance to Louise is pretty close. If one didn't know, one would have thought it was indeed Lady Louise (though on a closer look, Louise is more of a carbon copy of her paternal Granny).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMil View Post
Thank you for this video. It made me tear up. Such a tender and touching tribute. His Highness is letting us know that Her Majesty is more than just a head of state; she's a beloved mother who adored spending time with her family.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
The above quote is interesting. So what the polls are saying is that 60% of those polled either want Prince Charles to succeed or have no opinion and the numbers in favour of William succeeding instead have dropped despite he & Catherine never being out of the news in the past year.
I've realised this looks as if I'm having a dig at Prince William, I'm not. I can't see any reason why William won't make a fine King when his time comes but that should be after his father. It was more that over the past year Prince Charles has been comparatively ignored by the media while William has been in the news constantly. In those circumstances I would have expected the number of people wanting William to be the next King to have risen rather than fallen.
I see what you mean, but I wouldn't really read too much into that. There has been polling that shows William is currently the most popular member of the RF, even more so than the Queen. But, Charles and Camilla have had some decent press lately - the Scandinavian tour, Charles's turn as a weatherman and a DJ etc.

Ultimately, though, I think small movements in polls of in and around 5% is really only within the margin of error. I think most polls on this issue will likely have Charles and William each within the 40% area +/- 5% or so, with the remainder as 'don't knows'. It's all moot though, because however much they public might 'prefer' the young, good looking William, they know that Charles will be the next monarch.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:56 AM
Royal Highness

The weather in London is currently looking abit dodgy for the weekend, so I do hope the most we'll get are a few showers and nothing more. But I am worried about the carriage procession! Not wishing to raise the Golden State Coach question again as that has been answered, but I wonder if it will be on standby in case of rain? The 1902 State Landau can be covered, but only has small windows, whereas the GSC has alot of windows!
Old 06-01-2012, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

I think it was said somewhere that in case of rain the Australian State Coach will be used.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 06-01-2012, 03:02 AM
Royal Highness

Oh that makes sense, thanks Stefan! How could I forget all the other carriages available LOL!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen and DoE are visiting Northern Ireland on 26-27 June. They'll be in Enniskillen and Belfast.

This is the first time in the Queen's reign that her plans to visit NI have been pre-announced. Security concerns had previously meant that no one outside the security services knew the Queen was coming over until she suddenly appeared, which has meant it's been very difficult for people here to see her. I'm hoping to pop along and see HM in the flesh for the first time!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
I really wish that! we never see the baby
I'm pretty sure we will see her
Old 06-01-2012, 04:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I'm hoping to pop along and see HM in the flesh for the first time!
Here's hoping you do, EIIR.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I'm glad the situation is now relaxed enough to forego the precautions.
And hope you'll be able to see the Queen; it would be very special, especially this year of all years.

Raining on their parade: Wet weather expected to dampen jubilee celebrations but that doesn't stop military show of force on deserted streets of London as they fine-tune Tuesday's procession
Quote:
Warnings by forecasters that bad weather will dampen the Diamond Jubilee celebrations didn't stop the armed forces from getting up at the crack of dawn this morning to rehearse a spectacular Jubilee parade through the deserted streets of the capital. With the sun barely risen, hundreds of soldiers mounted on horseback tested out the route for the State Procession, which will act as the grand finale to the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations. These photos of the full dress rehearsal give a sneak glimpse of the glorious procession that will be unveiled on Tuesday when the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh attend a service of thanksgiving at St Paul’s Cathedral.
Looks fantastic!
Let me tell you this; if Brits put as much effort into Olympics as they do with the Jubilee celebrations, it will be spectacular.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Intimate pictures of the royal family discovered in attic of unknown photographer set to go on public display for the first time
Quote:
Some of the most intimate photographs of the royal family captured at key moments in history will go view to the public from today. The collection of 40 never before seen photographs, some of which the Mail Online can exclusively reveal here, include a photograph of King Edward VIII thought to have been taken just before his abdication speech, the Queen as a young princess before she came to the throne on pictures taken during her coronation and silver jubilee. The images were only discovered in an attic last year following the death of mysterious photographer W. Jones. His family contacted royal photographer Ian Pelham-Turner, who has included W.Jones pictures in an exhibition of his own images of the royal family, which will go on display at Debenhams' flagship store on Oxford Street over the jubilee weekend before touring the country.
- The Queen's Coronation picture
- The Queen in her Coronation Gown
- The Queen and Prince Philip at the State Opening of the Parliament in November 1952 (her first as a Queen)
- Prince Philip and Prince Charles share a joke as they arrive for the Queen's Silver Jubilee celebrations in 1977

- Princess Elizabeth in South Africa in 1947 (lovely picture)
- The Duke and Duchess of York, Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret during George V's Silver Jubilee celebrations
- Queen Elizabeth, King George VI, Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret on a tour of HMS Vanguard South Africa in 1947

- Edward VIII preparing for his abdication speech
- King George VI and Queen Elizabeth with Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain and his wife in 1938
Old 06-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Royal Highness

I saw a fantastic documentary on TV last night about the Queen's coronation. It gave much detail about the planning and included some excellent footage of Queen Salote of Tonga who was 6ft 3in tall!
The preparations in Westminster Abbey meant increasing seating capacity from around 2000 to over 7000. In order to bring in all the heavy stuff to make the extra seats and galleries, a small railway was laid down from the West Door along the aisle.
Because of the heavy rain on Coronation Day during the ceremony, there was a debate about whether there was time for the many thousands of troops to put on their weatherproof capes. It was decided against doing this on the grounds that the public were expecting to see the spectacular, shiney, bright uniforms rather than dull capes. So rain or shine, I think all the events this weekend will be amazing!
The footage shown included some very good quality colour footage and the Coronation Dress was incredible - it shone and sparkled with gold and a myriad of bright colours - it really was completely out of this world!

Not sure whether this should go in another thread, apologies and happy for it to be moved.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Thanks for sharing, Jacknch!
I particularly liked your description of Her Majesty's dress; I have seen colour photographs of it, but not colour footage.

Bruno Peek, Pageantmaster of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Beacons, poses with the Jubilee Crystal Diamond at the Tower of London May 1, 2012.
Queen Elizabeth will use the diamond to light the National Beacon on June 4, during her Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

- The Jubilee Crystal Diamond 1 (how stunning is that?)
- The Jubilee Crystal Diamond 2
- The Jubilee Crystal Diamond 3
Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Gentry

Stunning is an understatement!!!! wow
Old 06-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Nobility

Guest list for royals?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Tea and cake at the remotest Diamond Jubilee party on Earth - on the Queen Elizabeth Islands in the Arctic
Quote:
As the Britain celebrates 60 years of our Queen's reign this weekend, there will be celebrations across the country - and beyond. While plenty will be enjoying street parties, picnics and parades in the UK, a rather chilly celebration will be taking place at the coldest - and remotest - Diamond Jubilee party on Earth. The 'Arctic Jubilee Expedition' team - made up of five Britons, one Canadian and one Inuit - will mark the Queen's landmark reign at the highest point of the Queen Elizabeth Islands in Northern Canada - the remotest part of the Commonwealth realm.

Diamond Jubilee deals: It's a weekend full of perks for anyone named Elizabeth

Quote:
As Jubilee fever bites, companies are begging to give away prizes, discounts and even specially-created cocktails for anyone with a royal first name. In fact, for some deals, Phillips could do as well out of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations as Elizabeths.

A request to Mods: could you open the The Diamond Jubilee Weekend - 2-5 June 2012 thread?
The first event is tomorrow, when the Queen attends Epsom Derby.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
That picture is beyond precious . I love the expression on the dog's face. It's like he's a little confused as to what the fuss is about . I too love that he calls Her Majesty 'Mama'. It's very sweet and intimate. I remember when he gave a speech after the Golden Jubilee Concert, and his opening line was 'Your Majesty...Mummy'. I thought it was a nice touch. He was letting us know that this woman is more than a monarch; she's a beloved mother as well.
The article has now been updated with many more precious picture. Just some of my favourites:

- The Queen playing a game with baby Charles 1
- The Queen playing a game with baby Charles 2
- The Queen playing a game with baby Charles 3

- The Queen reading to little Charles...
- ... Who has a fit of giggles

- Charles playing in sand dunes 1
- Charles playing in sand dunes 2
- Charles playing in sand dunes 3

- The Queen with little Charles and Anne
- The Queen with little Anne

Was Prince Charles adorable as a baby, or what?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Part of that footage with a little toddler Charles where the Queen is tickling him and he's loving every minute of it is just so precious. Grown up Charles was giggling just as much watching it over 60 years later!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Part of that footage with a little toddler Charles where the Queen is tickling him and he's loving every minute of it is just so precious. Grown up Charles was giggling just as much watching it over 60 years later!
Is the footage available anywhere online?
I would just love to see it.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hope very much that this works outside the UK, Artemisia. Toddler Charles starts at about 0:25, ticklish Charles is around the 0:45 mark, with adult Charles giggling in the background.

BBC News - Home videos of Queen's family life revealed
Old 06-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

It works!
Thank you so much, EIIR! I really appreciate your finding this link and posting it here.

Love Charles' first steps, the tickling scenes, and especially how Charles laughs at those precious memories.

Tags
diamond jubilee parade, windsor castle