The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Diamond Jubilee 2012

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh she would LOVE the comparison. Every time I see Patricia Routledge (who played Hyacinth) in anything else on TV the first thing that always came to mind is, "the BOUQUET residence the lady of the house speaking!".

Old 05-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Preparations are underway outside Buckingham Palace for The Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations in June (12)
London, England - 24.05.12
WENN Photo Library - Search Results

Old 05-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Oh she would LOVE the comparison. Every time I see Patricia Routledge (who played Hyacinth) in anything else on TV the first thing that always came to mind is, "the BOUQUET residence the lady of the house speaking!".
Oh, yes - that line never failed to crack me up.

Quote:
Bit more on topic. This sort of thing makes me long to be in London right now. London's shops deck out their window displays in honour of the Queen:
Queen's Diamond Jubilee: Patriotic shop window displays - Fashion Galleries - Telegraph
Why did I take my vacation in February? Would give everything to be in Britain for upcoming celebrations.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
yes!!! 7-10pm for me! cannot wait!

I believe Good Morning America is live streaming in association with yahoo.com but if they don't here's the link I use to watch BBC One which is airing it.
tvpc.com - BBC 1
Thank you for the link and all the updated times. I'll be checked CNN.com for a live stream. They did have one for the wedding last year (even if I watched the stream provided by BBC).

Quote:
I'd be awful at any type of sand sculpture so I feel bad about saying this, but, is it just me or does this have shades of Hyacinth Bucket (Bouquet)?
Oh, how priceless is that ? It does look like Her Majesty, but I see a bit of a similarity to Mrs. Bucket .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I think it's a pretty good likeness of the Queen, considering the material.
As for Mrs Bucket - she always aspired to join higher society, so she would be flattered at the comparison.

Off topic, but I LOVE Keeping Up Appearances! One of my favourite sitcoms ever.
That show never fails to crack me up. Too funny.

Quote:
Glad I'm not the only one who finds this line absolutely hysterically funny.

Quote:
Bit more on topic. This sort of thing makes me long to be in London right now. London's shops deck out their window displays in honour of the Queen:

Queen's Diamond Jubilee: Patriotic shop window displays - Fashion Galleries - Telegraph
These are absolutely delightful. I love the big corgi in front of one of the shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Thank you for clearing that up, I was finding it bizarre that they were not going to be with their parents. Lovely that they will be able to see the pageant, even if they aren't participating.
I'm with you here. It's great that they'll be able to watch, but rather sad that they won't be able to actually be a part of the pageant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
They are not even attending, but even so, Peter and Zara are not 8 and 4 years old.
This is another good point. Peter and Zara are grown adults, and they have been there at the Golden Jubilee. Louise and James are very young children, and to them, this is all larger than life, not to mention a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to really celebrate their Granny. A child of their age would be rather disappointed not to be a part of this, like their parents and older cousins. I do hope that they'll get to participate in some capacity in Trooping the Colour. Louise was so excited about it last year, and this year is even more special.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Majesty

Zara will be competing so won't be doing anything much during the Jubilee.

As far as Peter is concerned I have seen no explanation as to why he isn't going to be attending.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Aristocracy

Maybe with the new Baby. Who know he is a grown adult. I guess too they all have to have it in the back of the minds that once Charles is King it will be a different monarchy and if Peter does not bring his children to these events it will not be a lost when it will no longer happens.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Like mother, like daughter: The Queen shows growing resemblance to her mother in new portrait to mark diamond jubilee
Quote:
The same twinkling blue eyes, the same wavy silver hair and the same glowing complexion that defies her advancing years... the Queen looks every inch her mother's daughter in this new portrait to mark her 60 years on the throne. The portrait was drawn by pop artist Sir Peter Blake for a special commemorative cover for the Radio Times to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee. In the portrait, the Queen, now aged 86, bears a striking resemblance to her mother who died in 2002 at the age of 101.
The best of journalism: mother and daughter resemble each other. And I must add, not all that much in those two particular portraits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
Diamond Jubilee: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge given key role in service at St Paul's - Telegraph

This article includes the program for the Jubilee Thanksgiving Service at Westminster Abbey next Tuesday (scroll down). Interestingly, the New Testament reading is the same one that James Middleton read at the royal wedding. HM must have really liked it, assuming she had a role in the planning .
A very interesting article, although somewhat exaggerating the role of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in the celebrations.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Is the Queen racing towards her heart's desire?
Is the Queen racing towards her heart's desire? - hellomagazine.com

Quote:
Your complete guide to the Diamond Jubilee Weekend
http://diamondjubilee.hellomagazine....lee-weekend/1/

Quote:
Kate joins the Queen at Buckingham Palace garden party
http://diamondjubilee.hellomagazine....-buckingham/1/

Quote:
Thames Jubilee Pageant: Find out who's on which boat for 'greatest show on earth'
http://diamondjubilee.hellomagazine....istribution/1/

Quote:
A regal tea party that really takes the biscuit
http://www.hellomagazine.com/cuisine...uit-tea-party/
Old 05-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

camilla's son and daugter are invited to the tamesis event?
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Just watching the Katie Couric tv special and can't say I am terribly impressed. It has been on for an hour and they are just getting to the Charles & Diana era after going through the abdication, WWII, her marriage to Philip and then the Margaret-Townsend problem. So far just tidbits with William, Eugenie, Beatrice and Harry. Obviously very geared towards an American audience which may be why so much historical review was needed but I think perhaps the best parts were what was already released in clips and 2 hrs filled with lots of old news clips etc.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yea, honestly the only thing of interest to me this far (and I'm not done watching) is how nice Beatrice's speaking voice sounds.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Courtier

I totally agree!!!! I wish this was done by an British broadcaster. It would have gravitas and be more "current" in the way that you had mentioned (not relying heavily on historical review). I don't mind Katie Couric, but for some reason an american take on a British/Commonwealth institution on such an important occasion just doesn't seem right, IMO.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Well that was 2 hours of my life I will never get back. I don't think we saw or found out anything new at all.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well that was 2 hours of my life I will never get back. I don't think we saw or found out anything new at all.
Indeed! That's why I invariably multitask when "watching" this sort of puffery. But yes, Beatrice and Eugenie did look very nice and spoke very well.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Courtier

Yup, not time well spent. In all fairness, it was geared towards the Americans, who generally don't have much knowledge of the BRF.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Courtier

Not really a fan of Katie Couric, and she did nothing to redeem herself in my eyes.

Did it bother anyone else how touchy feely she was with HM's staff? I don't recall who she interviewed, but she was inquiring about whether or not things got out of control (more my words than hers) the night of the Cambridge wedding celebrations and when there was a denial, she gave the man a bit of a smack on the arm. While that may be a very American thing, it bothered me that she did it to someone so close to HM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Courtier

Yes, the over familiarity bothered me as well!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Commoner

Yes, I did notice that, and was shocked. Very inappropriate behavior, Ms. Couric, and I don't think that was the only occurrence of such. Still, she did drop a nice little curtsy to HM...

Does anybody know where I can watch the Thames flotilla on Sunday? I don't have cable so I can't watch it on BBC America...can I get it on my computer, and if so where?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessRennie View Post
Yes, I did notice that, and was shocked. Very inappropriate behavior, Ms. Couric, and I don't think that was the only occurrence of such. Still, she did drop a nice little curtsy to HM...

Does anybody know where I can watch the Thames flotilla on Sunday? I don't have cable so I can't watch it on BBC America...can I get it on my computer, and if so where?
Refer to the bottom of my post #303. I've provided a link to BBC One where you can watch the Thames River Pageant on Sunday. Along with times and converted times for PST/EST depending on where you are.

Am I the only one who enjoyed the interviews? I thought it was good to hear some things that I've heard from royal journalists over the years finally from the mouths of William/Harry. I also particularly enjoyed seeing Eugenie and Beatrice they looked beautiful. I don't get the denial about the wedding from HM's staff we all know Harry's after party was less then formal ok not wild as Katie was referring to but still anyways...Also really loved re-learning about the Queen. It's easy to forget just how much she's seen/done through her reign.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:28 AM
Courtier

I enjoyed the interviews with the grandchildren. You, or maybe it's just me, never get to hear from Beatrice and Eugenie, so it was really nice to see them. I liked Eugenie's comment that the queen likes to be know what is going on in their lives, particularly the part about her grandkids going to college. That more than other comments seemed to bring home that she is their grandmother.

Tags
diamond jubilee parade, windsor castle