The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Diamond Jubilee 2012

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Majesty

I do love Her Majesty's tendency to pay attention to the practicality of the whole thing. She certainly doesn't beat around the bush .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Absolutely, Daria. HM is also very conscious of the fact that many BP staff members live there too and their sleep would be affected by this also. Reminds me that for years the tourism bosses in the UK asked the Queen to light up the Palace at night because in winter you couldn't really see it after about 4pm, which naturally disappointed some tourists. HM only agreed when she was assured that the special lighting wouldn't disturb staff whose bedrooms are at the front of the Palace.

On snother note, all this hot sunny weather is worrying me a bit. Let's hope that it stays this way until after the festivities. Sailing down the Thames in the wind and rain would not be pleasant.

The Union Jacks are back up in central London. This was also done during the Royal Wedding last year:

Britains Union Flags Are Hung Above The Streets Of Central

Old 05-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The streets look lovely!
Can't wait for June; the main Jubilee celebrations are going to be spectacular.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Majesty

Her Majesty is also a very compassionate and considerate employer. I'd imagine that some in her position would be more concerned about pleasing the tourists, but she's showing that her loyalties are with those that serve her and require rest. Not surprising of course, but still, lovely to see/read. I too hope that the nice weather lasts for next weekend's festivities. I'd imagine singing (and sailing) in the rain is fun only in a theatrical production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
the Union Jacks are back up in central London.
More festiveness! Puts one in the mood for next weekend .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 AM
Heir Apparent

I wish I was in London this time of year! The streets look amazing!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

A giant canvas is now displayed along the River Thames showing the Royal Family during the 1977 Silver Jubilee celebrations.
The photograph shows the Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Prince Andrew, Prince Edward, Lord Louis Mountbatten, Princess Anne and Mark Phillips.
- The canvas as seen from across the river
- The canvas from Blackfriars Bridge
- Close up of the Royal Family
- The Queen and Prince Philip
- Gallery from Daylife

And some pictures of the street decorations:
- Regent Street
- Unilever House
- Covent Garden
- Piccadilly (where the Piccadilly Big Jubilee Street Party will take place)

I must say, that's all very impressive and nice.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

You are welcome.

Counterfeit Queen: The latest in Chinese knock-offs sees mock monarch mobbed in Shanghai
Quote:
A Queen lookalike was mobbed on the streets of Shanghai by thousands of Chinese fans who thought she was the real thing. The impersonator sparked a frenzy when she turned up for a surprise tea party designed to give China's biggest city a Diamond Jubilee celebration of its own. The stunt saw shoppers served afternoon tea complete with cakes and cucumber sandwiches, all to the sounds of a Beatles tribute band.
That's actually pretty hilarious. And a bit weird.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Serene Highness

That is pretty funny. I dont think she looks like the Queen but I suppose if you dont really know then it would be easy to think it was her.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

And another double of Her Majesty, this time an "authorised" one.
I always wondered how they manage to organise all of the Queen's engagements so that they run smoothly, without a single issue. This answers some of the questions.

Elizabeth's second! The woman who's stood in for the Queen for 24 years
Quote:
In 60 years, the Queen has never put a foot wrong in public. And for the last 24 of them, it turns out she’s had a secret weapon – the unassuming Ella Slack. The former BBC manager has, unbeknown to anyone except a handful of key advisers, spent the last quarter of a century acting as the Queen’s official stand-in at rehearsals for royal events. The 69-year-old from the Isle of Man has never accepted a penny for her loyal service, considering it ‘a pleasure and an honour’ to ensure that everything runs smoothly for the sovereign.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Majesty

To those who've lost it on what's what and where during the central weekend,a week from today,here's a reminder:

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/central-weekend

And this,Aunt Lillibeth in Sixty Years:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17843109
Old 05-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Huge 100-metre-wide photograph of the Royal Family unfurled by River Thames to mark Queen's Jubilee | Mail Online
Old 05-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I think they should be given a chance, the public apparently have no appetite for them because their mother was Fergie and Beatrice wore a silly hat once. I see no concrete reason to exclude them when we all know that when HM and Philip and the older generation royals pass away, there will be no one but William, Catherine and Harry to pick up the slack.

Anyway on a Concert note;

Queen's Diamond Jubilee: Ear plugs at the ready, Ma'am! Kylie, Tom Jones and Robbie Williams... But who'll be picked to perform God Save The Queen? | Mail Online

Quote:
The Queen’s choice is Sir Cliff Richard, 71, who is going to serenade her with Congratulations.
And the Duke of Edinburgh has apparently requested Dame Shirley Bassey, the diva’s diva who is still going strong at 75. She will sweep into London from the tax haven of Monaco, where she lives.
Sir Paul gets my vote.

And we have some GMT timings for the weekends events;

Quote:
Friday, June 1
Elizabeth: Queen, Wife, Mother, ITV, 9pm
The Queen was just 25 and a young mother when she took the throne, Alan Titchmarsh talks to her family and reveals how she juggled her roles.
A Jubilee Tribute To The Queen By The Prince Of Wales, BBC1, 8pm
In a rare personal broadcast, Prince Charles pays tribute to his mother, with previously unseen footage.
Saturday, June 2
Racing From Epsom: Derby Day, BBC1, 12.50pm
Clare Balding covers the day of the Queen’s visit.
Sunday, June 3
The Diamond Jubilee Thames Pageant, BBC1, 1.30pm
Live coverage of the Pageant, including cameras on board the royal barge.
All The Queen’s Horses: A Diamond Jubilee Special, ITV, 6.30pm
Extravaganza presented by Alan Titchmarsh, in which more than 550 horses and 1,200 people perform to music.
Monday, June 4
Diamond Jubilee Concert, BBC1, 7.30pm
Buckingham Palace’s music festival. Followed by the lighting of the National Beacon at 10.30pm.
Tuesday, June 5
The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, ITV, 8.30am
Phillip Schofield and Julie Etchingham head ITV’s live Jubilee ceremonial day coverage.
Service Of Thanksgiving And Royal Procession, BBC1, 9.15am
Huw Edwards and James Naughtie lead the BBC team.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Royal Highness

I'm so excited for the jubilee celebrations as a friend and I are going to London to be part of the festivities! Has anyone heard if the concert on Monday night will be on big screens anywhere? Maybe in the Mall or one of the parks?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
I'm so excited for the jubilee celebrations as a friend and I are going to London to be part of the festivities! Has anyone heard if the concert on Monday night will be on big screens anywhere? Maybe in the Mall or one of the parks?
I'm fairly certain that there's only the seated area around the Victoria Memorial that's ticketed. So, you could get fairly close to the stage if you're there early enough. Otherwise, there will apparently be big screens along the Mall and in Green Park, St James's Park and Hyde Park (I think).

There's going to be a big firework display after the concert too so it should be a great evening. So jealous you're going to be there!
Old 05-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Mellowing of a Monarch: Andrew used to call her 'Your majesty' but now she has relaxed and become an indulgent granny | Mail Online
Old 05-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Look forward to this documentary, I always enjoy seeing members of the family being interviewed and discussing life with the Queen. Found it amusing at the thought of the children having a pillow fight! It is also lovely to see that the Queen adores being a grandmother, which is evident from all the images of her with her grandchildren. It's lovely to see her more "mellowed" image.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #diamondjubilee the carriage seats William and Kate sat on as Husband and wife post wedding - the 1902 State Landau http://pic.twitter.com/ArXdiGcH
Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal
#diamondjubilee the 1902 State Landau in which the #Queen and DoE will travel to St Paul's on June 5th http://pic.twitter.com/hpfS5O3C
#diamondjubilee 1902 State Landau next to 1 of 7 State Landau to be used by either Prince Charles or his sons http://pic.twitter.com/1ZADluqV
I can't believe it's next weekend! I'm ready got everything hooked up and ready to record and got my new tshirt coming in the mail!

Christ save me how the heck did Gary Barlow get the special Hello Magazine Diamond Jubilee edition front cover?
http://yfrog.com/hsctrfipj
Old 05-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Serene Highness

Nice sand sculputures. Takes alot of talent for that. As for dignitaries on the royal barge, I have to agree, there is no reason for it. This is strictly about Elizabeth and her Jubilee.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd be awful at any type of sand sculpture so I feel bad about saying this, but, is it just me or does this have shades of Hyacinth Bucket (Bouquet)?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I'd be awful at any type of sand sculpture so I feel bad about saying this, but, is it just me or does this have shades of Hyacinth Bucket (Bouquet)?
I think it's a pretty good likeness of the Queen, considering the material.
As for Mrs Bucket - she always aspired to join higher society, so she would be flattered at the comparison.

Off topic, but I LOVE Keeping Up Appearances! One of my favourite sitcoms ever.

Tags
diamond jubilee parade, windsor castle