The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Diamond Jubilee 2012

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I remember reading a newspaper article from 1901, printed just before Queen Victoria's funeral was to take place. The writer said that the Queen's death was a heavy blow, an end of an era, and that there was a widespread despair because for most people, Queen Victoria was the only Monarch they had known in their lifetime.
I guess it's the same with Queen Elizabeth; she is THE Monarch for most British people (and those from other Commonwealth Realms). In a way, she is Britain. I can't really think of the country without thinking of Her Majesty.

Now, I'm sure Prince Charles will be a wonderful Monarch when the time comes (probably, like Edward VII who came to reign after his own glorious mother), but I also hope will get to see a Platinum Jubilee celebrations.

Thanks a lot for that video, EIIR; I really do love Trooping the Colour ceremony!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

No probs folks, I freely admit to having a real soft spot for Trooping.

Just a quick update on the preparations that are underway around the Victoria Memorial, which will be where the huge Diamond Jubilee concert will be. The whole Mall has been closed to traffic for several days now.

Preparations For The Diamond Jubilee Concert Take Place

Also, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have been given the very rare honour of replacing the Household Cavalry as the Queen's personal body guard and will take part in the Changing the Life Guard ceremony. This is very rare as it's normally soldiers who guard the Queen, not police.

Tourists Watch As Constable Jennifer Mcrae A Member Of The

Another Diamond Jubilee event is being held tonight at BP when the Queen will be meeting hundreds of leading cultural figures at one of the most glittering gatherings of actors, writers and artists the UK has seen.

Guests include Sir Jonathan Ive (British designer of the iPod, iPad and iPhone among others) who was just knighted today, Sir Derek Jacobi, Dame Judi Dench, Sir Paul McCartney, David Hockney, Bono, playwriight Alan Bennett, soprano Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, artist Dame Paula Rego, Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson, Maureen Lipman, Joanna Lumley, Tom Courtenay, Joan Collins, Richard Briers, Martin Clunes, Julian Barnes, Michael Morpurgo (author of War Horse) and Philip Pullman.

There are 850 guests coming along. The Queen will have her picture taken with 30 artistic Dames.

BBC News - Diamond Jubilee: Arts A-list gathers for the Queen

What a lineup. Not many people could get 850 people of that calibre together at the same party. A wonderful tribute to HM.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Queen Elizabeth, the Countess of Wessex, the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra attended a special 'Celebration of the Arts' event and a reception at the Royal Academy of Arts in London today, May 23, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: Queen Elizabeth II Visits The Royal Academy Of Arts **

** dailymail: Who looks most regal? Lily Cole puts on her sparkling tiara to meet the Queen at Diamond Jubilee celebration of the arts **
Old 05-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Amazing pictures .The Queen is so lovely
I especially like this one, Joan Collins courtesy to the Queen and the Queen have her perfect smile
But also I'm little disappointed because we haven't see any pictures of the Countess of Wessex, the Duke of Kent or Princess Alexandra
Old 05-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

HM looks great. She's carrying a cute little handbag.

On the other hand, Joan Collins should burn that dress she's got on.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Courtier

i agree - i think its left over from her dynasty days.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think she's clinging on to her glory days a bit too tightly. I mean, she's almost 80. At some point you have to admit that you're not going to win the battle.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

For almost 80, she looks pretty OK. The camera angle is quite awkward, but Ms. Collins does seem to be quite bloated. I hope she's not ill. MailOnline has more photos of the Arts gathering.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post

Also, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have been given the very rare honour of replacing the Household Cavalry as the Queen's personal body guard and will take part in the Changing the Life Guard ceremony. This is very rare as it's normally soldiers who guard the Queen, not police.

Tourists Watch As Constable Jennifer Mcrae A Member Of The
It was the Queen's personal wish that the mounties stand guard for her, this is the first time ever in history that that's been done...she has a very personal/close relationship with the RCMP.

Also, Constable Mcrae who's pictured above is the first Canadian woman ever to stand guard for the Queen.

This brief news clip from the CBC explains the event: CBC.ca Player

Mounties guard the Queen in London for a day

. . . Their turn guarding Queen Elizabeth II, at her majesty's invitation, marks the first time a non-British, non-military unit has been tasked with guarding the ceremonial gates to the royal residence. Mounties guard the Queen in London for a day | CTV News
Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I found just one picture from other royals
Countess of Wessex looks absolutely fabulous
here is a video from the event
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Xo9By8eegIU

one more including Zara and Princess Royal also
Old 05-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Majesty

Everything is looking spectacular for next weekend. It'll be exciting to watch everything happen (hopefully my Internet will work). Her Majesty and the Countess of Wessex looked absolutely spectacular.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Commoner

Here's the R.C.M.P. official site with more background:
Backgrounder - RCMP Participation in Celebrations of Her Majesty’s Diamond Jubilee - Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

I do wish however they had been allowed to smile as the normally would here on a ceremonial guard.

It was a very nice gesture by Queen Elizabeth to include "Her Mounties" in this historical occasion!
Loved hearing that she had to peak out her window to watch them ride by!
Thou many-headed monster-thing, O who would wish to be thy king?--
Old 05-24-2012, 05:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Truly an indication of HM's deep respect and admiration for the RCMP. I'm sure some of the tourists turning up to watch the changing the guard ceremony got a bit of a shock!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Lego has created a model of Buckingham Palace, including members of the Royal Family on the balcony, at the Legoland theme park in Windsor, west of London, on May 24, 2012.
- The Buckingham Palace 1
- The Buckingham Palace 2
- The royals on the balcony
- A 10cm high figure of Queen Elizabeth, with a real diamond-encrusted crown
Old 05-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Majesty

Wow! Simply impressive. I remember seeing something like this on television once. A lovely tribute.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Royal Mail unveils special stamps to celebrate Queenソs Diamond Jubilee | Mail Online
24 May 2012
Diamond Jubilee Royal Mail Stamps

Her side portrait appears on every standard British stamp.
But now letter-senders will be able to see the Queen from a range of different angles,
as the Royal Mail launches a new collection to mark the Diamond Jubilee.

The eight adhesive labels, featuring archive photographs, highlight some of the most memorable moments during her 60 year reign. From her first televised Christmas broadcast in 1957 to inspecting the 2nd Battalion Royal Welsh half a century later in 2007 the set reveals some of hugely diverse duties she has performed over the years.

Moya Greene, chief executive of the Royal Mail, said: 'The Diamond Jubilee, only the second in royal history, is a very important anniversary. The whole world’s attention will be drawn towards this special occasion. Royal Mail is honoured to have such an enduring relationship with the Queen. We are proud to mark the occasion by celebrating the official roles of the Queen with distinctive and memorable images, many of which have not been widely seen before. The stamps chart the Queen’s reign across the six decades and highlight her unwavering commitment to national duty.'

The stamps, on sale from May 31 at all Post Office branches, are the third and final stamp issue to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.

v the stamps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stamps 1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	285251   Click image for larger version

Name:	stamps 2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	285252   Click image for larger version

Name:	stamps 3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	285253  
Old 05-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Administrator

One is not amusement: Queen Victoria memorial is turned into fairground-style stage for Jubilee concert at Buckingham Palace | Mail Online
24 May 2012

Diamond Jubilee Concert in front of Buckingham Palace

Hold tight for a right royal spectacular.
The Queen Victoria Memorial at Buckingham Palace has been transformed into an amazing fairground-style stage
in preparation for next month's Diamond Jubilee concert.

The incredible 360 degree stage, designed by Mark Fisher who has previously worked with U2 and The Rolling Stones, cost 」200,000 and will host a raft of stars for the two-and-a-half hour show on Monday, June 4. Old favourites such as Elton John, Sir Paul McCartney, Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey will share the lime light with modern acts such as JLS and Jessie J in front of an audience of 10,000.

Gary Barlow, who has been put in charge of the acts, has given each artist a strict six minute slot. He is expected to take to the stage to perform a song accompanied by Prince Harry on Tambourine.

Speaking on the Graham Norton Show last week he said: 'The Queen is absolutely delighted with the whole line up.'
前nly a couple of weeks ago I got the job of presenting the whole plan of the concert to her and I壇 learnt everything about the gig, there痴 not a question she can throw at me that I知 going to falter on.
選 went 'Your Majesty, this is what the concert is going to look like, it's going to be incredible, this is where it's going to be in front of the palace'.
羨nd she said, "So all that equipment, how long is that going to take to dismantle?"
'At this point I知 guessing, so I say "about six or seven hours," and she said, "so, the concert finishes at half ten at night, which means you will be doing that all night at the front of the palace where my family lives."'
'A little bead of sweat ran down and I was like, "So, moving on Your Majesty this is the Royal box, this is where you'll be sitting"'.
全he said "How am I going to get there?".
選t was something else I didn't know the answer to.

全he is incredible for her age, very. very smart. She's excited about the whole weekend, she really is.

The three hour extravaganza will be broadcast live on BBC One and BBC Radio 2 from 7.30pm.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

^^^^^^^^^
I saw that on the news tonight, looks horrific!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Administrator

The endlessly repetitive questions regarding a Diamond Jubilee tiara event and why there won't be one have been moved to the Protocol thread.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

There are some more images of Sophie attending the event available from Isopix, a particular favourite of mine is the one of her curtseying to the Queen: Sophie and The Queen

One of Princess Alexandra looking ever so glamourous, as usual. Princess Alexandra

Tags
diamond jubilee parade, windsor castle