The Diamond Jubilee Service of Thanksgiving and Carriage Procession: June 5, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Too bad that they're will not be on the balcony. This is a special occasion.

That's rather sad. So many other members of the Family do a great deal of work. Hopefully we'll see them all for Trooping the Colour.
I was looking forward to seeing all the grandkids on the balcony, as well as other members of the family. It's such a big occasion, and it would be a great gesture to include everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
chelly said:
Could the balcony handle all the people standing on it. Even with just The Queen Children, spouses and children that would be around 20 people. I don't remember too many pictures with that many people though I could be wrong.

At the Trooping of Colour that balcony holds 30+ people every year.

Maybe that's also a reason to trim the number on the balcony for the Diamond Jubilee flypast? I'm sure the whole family will be on the balcony not long after for Trooping the Colour, so they'll not miss out really.

The balcony thing is interesting and I would love to see Prince Andrew's face. Since Kate joined the family he's been promoting Beatrice like nobody's business as though he's scared that there won't be a role for her in the future. Well Andrew, here's the future!

BTW I thought all the Queen's family were travelling to St. Paul's in carraiges but only Charles etc were travelling back in them. Is it the case now that it is only going to be Charles' family both ways?

The balcony thing is interesting and I would love to see Prince Andrew's face. Since Kate joined the family he's been promoting Beatrice like nobody's business as though he's scared that there won't be a role for her in the future. Well Andrew, here's the future!

I don't think that's the case. For years it was harped on that Charles would scale down the family, and Beatrice and Eugenie wouldn't take part in royal duties. It just so happened that when Beatrice finished university, and had time to do engagement should she wish, Catherine got engaged to William. I think Andrew is doing right trying to "convince" whoever needs convincing that the girls would be a huge asset to the royal family, we've seen both girls on engagement with their grandparents and father poised and elegant and from personally experience Beatrice is one of the friendliest people I have ever met.

Neither William nor Harry are or even will be full time royals for 3 or 4 years so I hear, HM, Philip, Charles, Camilla nor the other children are getting any younger. The so called "next generation" (William and Harry) won't be around for a few years, and their children won't pick up any engagements until their 18 plus. Beatrice and Eugenie will be needed if Charles wants to continue the amount of engagements the royal family does each year.

But; this is the Jubilee thread must not get off topic.

I think William will become a full time working royal next year sometime. He's at the point where he's working toward becoming a Captain, but to go any further in SAR he'd have to commit several more years to it, and given SAR is due to be privatised in 2014 (I think), it makes more sense for him to leave it at that.

For Beatrice and Eugenie to become full time royals the Queen, and then King Charles III, would have to provide for them financially for pretty much their whole lives. Grace and favour apartments in one of the Palaces would have to be found for them, which the monarch would have to pay rent on for them. The taxpayer would have to fund protection for them.

The British people have no appetite for B&E to become full time royals. They should get jobs, or work for charity while living off their trust funds. Andrew should simply accept that.

So even the whole family will not walk down the aisle at St Paul's? This is turning out to be a disappointment. I always love the processions down the aisle when they leave occasions, especially as they all know exactly where their placement is. I am really quite disappointed by that.

I would be watching it on TV but I will be flying to Spain on the 4th June so will not be watching anything until I return to Britain on 10th. (I have to say I am bit gutted about this, haha.)

There will be two processions - one for the Queen, D of E & the Wales family and an earlier one for the also rans (who do most of the royal duties).

Sorry if I sound bitter but I'm disappointed in the way in which this jubilee seems to be becoming a tale of two families. The Queen's children, grandchildren and cousins are being relegated to the status of second class citizens despite the support they give & have given the Queen throughout her reign.

Last edited by a moderator:
There will be two processions - one for the Queen, D of E & the Wales family and an earlier one for the also rans (who do most of the royal duties).

Sorry if I sound bitter but I'm disappointed in the way in which this jubilee seems to be becoming a tale of two families. The Queen's children, grandchildren and cousins are being relegated to the status of second class citizens despite the support they give & have given the Queen throughout her reign.

But this is in keeping with the idea that the Royal Family is going to be reduced in size - the also rans as you call them are simply not important to the future of the family but I do hope that William, Kate and Harry, along with Charles and Camilla realise that the more they do this the more they will need to step up their workload as they simply won't have the also rans to help them carry out the duties that the royal family does.

I will join the chorus of people unhappy with how the Diamond Jubilee celebrations are unfolding. I'm not happy that the Queen's three youngest children and their children are being relegated to second class status. It's her Diamond Jubilee after all and all her children have done their share during the years. This isn't the time to introduce the "new" version of the royal family ... pick another year, any other year, just not this one.

I'll add to my voice to the chorus of those who are not too thrilled with the fact that so many of the Queen's relatives (children, grandchildren, cousins) are being put on the back burner during the celebrations. It puts a bit of a damper on the mood, especially when all of the said children and some cousins have done visits around the Commonwealth in honor of the Diamond Jubilee. I understand it's about Her Majesty's time on the throne, but she's not doing this all by herself. Her family gives her the support that she needs and does duties on her behalf and in her honor. If the other relatives and three of the Queen's younger children didn't do the engagements that they do, Her Majesty and the Heir Apparent and Presumptive would be swamped with engagements and the said Heir Presumptive won't be able to do what he's doing in the RAF for as long as he has. There won't be any time, frankly. I agree, any other year this would have been acceptable, but right now is really not the time to exclude those that have been working and doing such great and loyal service to their monarch.

I didn't see the ABC special, but after reading the commentary on here, I'm glad I didn't give it two hours of my evening. My grandmother called me and asked if the Queen had more than one sister, because she was so confused about the history (she thought it was going to be just an interview with William and Harry about their Granny, but I guess it was a bit more than that). I'm not too shocked that Ms. Couric acted the way she did. She always struck me as someone who was a bit over-familiar with those she interviewed. However, it's not the time or the place at Buckingham Palace, especially with someone who works closely with Her Majesty. Shows lack of culture, in my opinion.

Her Majesty and the Heir Apparent and Presumptive would be swamped with engagements and the said Heir Presumptive won't be able to do what he's doing in the RAF for as long as he has.

Can I just give a small correction to your terminology.

Charles is the heir apparent - true.

William is not the heir presumptive. He is the heir apparent to the heir apparent.

An heir presumptive can be replaced in the line of succession e.g. The Queen was only ever an heir presumptive because until the actual moment of her succession she could have been replaced by a younger brother.

William can't be replaced as Charles' heir so he is also an heir apparent - only an heir apparent to the heir apparent.

I must admit that I don't understand the issue with the procession/balcony appearance. HM, who is the boss let's not forget, has obviously decided to concentrate on the succession during this event. The extended family will still take a full part in celebrations; they'll still process down the aisle at St Paul's, they'll be taking part in the Thames pageant, they'll be at the concert. The whole family will be on the balcony for Trooping the Colour in a few weeks.

They have rendered very valuable service to HM, and I have no doubt she values that service. But the Queen has supported them all financially for decades. They've all benefitted personally from their work on behalf of HM. Rightly or wrongly, there is an appetite among the British public for a more streamlined royal family. Her children, grandchildren and cousins will still perform public duties as appropriate. Anne, Andrew and Edward must know that as the years go on, the Firm will have Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine and Harry at its core. I'm sure they see the writing on the wall.

This is evidently the Queen's opportunity to focus minds on her heir and the second in line. I think that's very sensible indeed.

This is evidently the Queen's opportunity to focus minds on her heir and the second in line. I think that's very sensible indeed.

I seem to be part of the minority that tends to agree with you.

Up until now, all the focus has been on HMs 60 year reign and the entire family has been very much involved and supportive in all aspects of the celebrations surrounding one remarkable and beloved monarch.

I don't think that the exclusion of some family members in certain things in the Jubilee's big weekend as being a snub but something that has been planned very carefully and most likely with the knowledge and support of the entire family behind the Queen. Many have stated that it is Charles' wish to have a downsized royal family. We've all read about Andrew's wish for Beatrice to have a part in the Firm yet it hasn't happened. Nothing the royal family does is by chance and decided on willy-nilly but carefully considered and planned for years via the Way Ahead family committee. 60 years of service to one's country and people is a remarkable milestone and my opinion is that by bits and pieces, we are going to see the gradual changes to the face of the monarchy.

A slight nuance was the luncheon for all the crowned heads. The Queen entertained at Windsor Castle where she has been gradually starting to spend more and more time and really seems to feel more "at home". Her heir had the more formal banquet at Buckingham Palace which is the the more "business" residence of the monarchy. With the procession and the balcony appearance, it'll be making a statement that "This is the future of the monarchy as it continues on into the future". Perhaps after the heart scare last winter, it is time for Charles and Camilla to step up and take on more of the duties and for William to start preparing to step into his role as the Heir Apparent and time for all of us to realize as they do that the changes will come.

All any of us really have is today.

:previous: I'm in agreeance.

To me it signifies the natural progression of what is to come. Allowing people to familiarise with the prospect of a smaller and immediate royal family.

It's a practical way of thinking.

Why will the Queen and Prince Philip be travelling in the 1902 State Landau and not the Gold State Coach to St Paul's Cathedral on Tuesday?

Well the Golden State coach is very uncomfortable to ride in. Even after renovation it is said you can feel every bump in the road. It is also incredibly grand and over the top which may not be quite the message the Queen wants to send in 2012.

I think HM focusing a little bit on the succession--ie the future of the family- is a good idea. Things will eventually change and focus will shift to the Wales/Cambridges. That's just what will happen after HM dies. It makes sense to me. The rest of the family has been-and will be- part of the celebration--just with a little minor distinction made.

As for the TV special, I enjoyed it. It was what I expected, more or less, and fit the main intended audience.

Reading the Daily Mail article (Kate and William among just SEVEN senior royals given key roles during jubilee weekend | Mail Online) i was wondering why is the Gold State coach not being used for this Jubliee as it was used for the procession to St Pauls for the silver and gold ones? This time the Queen seems to be going in the state landau

In my opinion, they've chosen the 1902 State Landau because they want as many people to see the Queen and DoE as possible. As stunningly beautiful as the Gold State Coach undoubtedly is, it's very difficult, particularly for crowds standing 10-15 deep, to actually see its occupants. The 1902, weather permitting, will ensure the crowds get to see the main attraction - our Queen.

Regarding the streamlining of the royal family. I see the point that with a smaller royal family their reach is clearly going to be reduced. I expect that Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie will continue to perform public engagements for the next 30-40 years. At that stage, we'll have William, Kate, Harry, Princess Harry, and W&K's adult children and their spouses performing engagements.

Fundamentally, I cannot see a situation where a King Charles III is financially supporting his nieces and nephews while they perform public duties. I think if you asked the public: would you prefer a smaller RF performing an overall reduced number of engagements, or having to pay for police protection for the lifetimes of Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise and James while they become full time working royals? I think I know which of these options the public would go for.

The public believe that all these 'peripheral' royals are receiving public funds. Now, we all know that they don't, with the exception of security, but like it or not the public look at Andrew trying to secure a place for Beatrice as a full time royal, and see someone trying to achieve a lifetime of grace and favour accommodation, chauffeur driven cars, police protection, fancy dinners and galas etc. for his daughter. They look at that and see a woman who's not willing to get a 'real job' and just wants to mooch off the state/the taxpayer/the monarch. That's unfair, but it's the way the public thinks.

Overall though, harsh as it may seem, if we only had a core RF performing fewer public duties overall, I genuinely don't think 99.9% of the public would notice.

no york, wessdx and princess royal to the prosession? when is the evet in st paul?

no york, wessdx and princess royal to the prosession? when is the evet in st paul?

No other royals except, HM, Prince Philip, Charles, Camilla, William, Harry and Catherine will be in the procession and event is next Tuesday the 5th.

I understand why people are disappointed that the extended royal family will not be present on the balcony. Obviously, the Prince of Wales and his immediate family will become the focus, but this is an historical occasion and the whole family has supported the Queen throughout their lives.

Please keep in mind that I am American and don't fully understand all the intricacies of royal protocol. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think the Queen's cousins or her niece or nephew often appeared on the balcony, but didn't Princess Margaret? If so, it would seem to me that at least the Queen's children and spouses should appear on the balcony. They are Prince Charles's immediate family.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think the Queen's cousins or her niece or nephew often appeared on the balcony, but didn't Princess Margaret? If so, it would seem to me that at least the Queen's children and spouses should appear on the balcony. They are Prince Charles's immediate family.

On Tuesday we will see Charles, Camilla, William, Harry and Catherine on the balcony with HM and Prince Philip. The only occasion you see almost every member of the royal family, titled or not is Trooping The Colour, almost nobody is left out of that appearance.

Back
Top Bottom