The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Diamond Jubilee 2012

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you Artemisia. The pictures of the streets in London are great. How festive and fun. It makes me wish I could be there. What a wonderful time it will be.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post

....This may well be an indication of where HM sees the monarchy going over the next years - a smaller royal family focussed on HM, the DoE, and the Waleses.
I think this Jubilee is very much a move about positioning the next generation of the royal family. Charles has a PR problem; he is not as beloved as his mother and mixed with the political climate in some of the commonwealth countries, there is talk of eliminating the monarchy and the passing of QEII would seem like a natural break.

I think the Clarence House court is using these Jubilee celebrations as a foundation for passing the torch in the future ...in addition to celebrating HM's accomplishments.

This fits consistently to the message sent last weekend when entertaining the crowned heads. I feel that it was very conscious decision that Charles & Camilla did not attend the luncheon where they would have been reduced to 'one of the many family members'. By hosting the crowned heads separately at Buckingham Palace puts Charles on a more elevated and equal level with crowned heads.

I dont feel Charles is in anyway disrespectful of this mother, I just feel he is trying to elevate himself (and by extension Will & Harry) from the rest of the family; perhaps redefining going forward who is considered a senior royal and a lesser royal. The balcony appearance will be an iconic photograph - generations of monarachs. Subtle, but effective.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Nobility

I'm not sure it's Clarence House making these decisions though. I would have thought the decision about who is on the balcony would be the Queen's and not the Prince's. Similarly, the Jubilee celebrations would be approved by the Queen. It's not a case of Clarence House trying to muscle in.

I'm disappointed the entire family won't be on the balcony. Personally I'd rather see anybody else than yet another event with the media focusing on Kate (not her fault I know).
Old 05-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Courtier

I dont think of it as Clarence House muscling in - but there are essentially 2 courts and I do believe that the POWs office is working in conjunction with BP and how this is being positioned. I do believe HM has of course agreed to this, and it is probably better in the long run for the monarchy - but this definitely feels as though this tone/message was set by the POWs office.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree, Michelle. But, I don't think this is necessarily Clarence House's initiative. I think the Queen is clever enough to admit that her reputation in the eyes of her subjects has probably never been higher. I don't think it's overstating things to say that she is a beloved figure in the hearts and minds of the big majority of her people. This gives her an opportunity to use some of the groundswell of admiration and respect for her to benefit her son and heir.

Let's face it, her reputation is cemented now and the reputation of the Cambridges is rising all the time. I think the Queen is very aware that she probably could do a bit more to let the people know that she believes that Charles has what it takes to be King; that she's proud of the amazing work he's done as PoW; that she is confident of his ability to fulfil the role; that the future of the monarchy is Charles as well as William.

There's also the fact that the smaller balcony group reinforces and validates the positions of Camilla and Kate and is a way of saying, yes the last 60 years have been wonderful but these are the people who will lead you through the next 60 years and I'm confident in their ability to do so.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Gentry

absolutely agree!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, this is disappointing news. I know there have been several additions to the family since 2002 (more grandchildren, more spouses etc.), but I do think it is a bit disappointing that all the Queen's children are not going to be on the balcony. Anne was at the Coronation, she should at least have been allowed to be present. I will still obviously watch the balcony and carriage rides (once I return from Spain, where I will be spending the Jubilee by the poooool), but I will be a bit disappointed to not see Andrew and co. on the balcony. I had sort of hoped this would have be Viscount Severn's big balcony moment! Now that is not going to happen, haha!

I agree that this is their way of slimming down the Royal family, focusing on the next generation. I am all for a slimmer Royal family, but you cannot discredit what the Queen's other children and their spouses, as well as her cousins, have done for the family. If I were them, i'd feel a bit jippped at this news.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Courtier

Very, very disappointing news indeed. Anne, Andrew, Edward & Sophie are her blood and hard working. They too just be part of the celebration.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMil View Post

Agree Artemisia this is not a good news.Such a shame, they all work hard for HM, Princess Alexandra from the beginning
oh so so sad! I really want to see all the royal family together!
a official photo may be?
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 05-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Aristocracy

Could the balcony handle all the people standing on it. Even with just The Queen Children, spouses and children that would be around 20 people. I don't remember too many pictures with that many people though I could be wrong.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Serene Highness

Too bad that they're will not be on the balcony. This is a special occasion.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:56 AM
Majesty

That's rather sad. So many other members of the Family do a great deal of work. Hopefully we'll see them all for Trooping the Colour.
I was looking forward to seeing all the grandkids on the balcony, as well as other members of the family. It's such a big occasion, and it would be a great gesture to include everyone.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelly
Could the balcony handle all the people standing on it. Even with just The Queen Children, spouses and children that would be around 20 people. I don't remember too many pictures with that many people though I could be wrong.
At the Trooping of Colour that balcony holds 30+ people every year.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe that's also a reason to trim the number on the balcony for the Diamond Jubilee flypast? I'm sure the whole family will be on the balcony not long after for Trooping the Colour, so they'll not miss out really.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Serene Highness

The balcony thing is interesting and I would love to see Prince Andrew's face. Since Kate joined the family he's been promoting Beatrice like nobody's business as though he's scared that there won't be a role for her in the future. Well Andrew, here's the future!

BTW I thought all the Queen's family were travelling to St. Paul's in carraiges but only Charles etc were travelling back in them. Is it the case now that it is only going to be Charles' family both ways?
Old 05-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
The balcony thing is interesting and I would love to see Prince Andrew's face. Since Kate joined the family he's been promoting Beatrice like nobody's business as though he's scared that there won't be a role for her in the future. Well Andrew, here's the future!
I don't think that's the case. For years it was harped on that Charles would scale down the family, and Beatrice and Eugenie wouldn't take part in royal duties. It just so happened that when Beatrice finished university, and had time to do engagement should she wish, Catherine got engaged to William. I think Andrew is doing right trying to "convince" whoever needs convincing that the girls would be a huge asset to the royal family, we've seen both girls on engagement with their grandparents and father poised and elegant and from personally experience Beatrice is one of the friendliest people I have ever met.

Neither William nor Harry are or even will be full time royals for 3 or 4 years so I hear, HM, Philip, Charles, Camilla nor the other children are getting any younger. The so called "next generation" (William and Harry) won't be around for a few years, and their children won't pick up any engagements until their 18 plus. Beatrice and Eugenie will be needed if Charles wants to continue the amount of engagements the royal family does each year.

But; this is the Jubilee thread must not get off topic.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think William will become a full time working royal next year sometime. He's at the point where he's working toward becoming a Captain, but to go any further in SAR he'd have to commit several more years to it, and given SAR is due to be privatised in 2014 (I think), it makes more sense for him to leave it at that.

For Beatrice and Eugenie to become full time royals the Queen, and then King Charles III, would have to provide for them financially for pretty much their whole lives. Grace and favour apartments in one of the Palaces would have to be found for them, which the monarch would have to pay rent on for them. The taxpayer would have to fund protection for them.

The British people have no appetite for B&E to become full time royals. They should get jobs, or work for charity while living off their trust funds. Andrew should simply accept that.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Bit more on topic. This sort of thing makes me long to be in London right now. London's shops deck out their window displays in honour of the Queen:

Queen's Diamond Jubilee: Patriotic shop window displays - Fashion Galleries - Telegraph
Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Horses and carriages are prepared for Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee at the Royal Mews in Buckingham Palace
London, England - 28.05.12
WENN Photo Library - Search Results
Old 05-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Courtier

Diamond Jubilee: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge given key role in service at St Paul's - Telegraph

This article includes the program for the Jubilee Thanksgiving Service at Westminster Abbey next Tuesday (scroll down). Interestingly, the New Testament reading is the same one that James Middleton read at the royal wedding. HM must have really liked it, assuming she had a role in the planning .