The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Diamond Jubilee 2012

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder if there will be any pics from the luncheon hosted by Lady Elizabeth Anson after the military parade.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
...monarchies operate their own protocol rules...
Quite. It is very simple: royalty is a caste, and a very exclusive one at that; they are different, and they have their own set of rules. Within their private circles, former monarchs such as Kings Michael and Simeon (deposed by the communists) and Constantine (effectively deposed by a military junta) are accorded sovereign status, although the manner of their deposition is irrelevant. They may be former Kings but are treated by their own kind as reigning Kings.

The protocol of the royal caste holds that individual ranking is based on one's date of accession. Thus in the formal photograph to commemorate the Jubilee luncheon King Michael (1927 and 1940) sat on the Queen's right, and King Simeon (1946) sat on her left. King Constantine (1964) was next to King Michael and the Sultan of Brunei (1967) was next to King Simeon. And so on. The King of Tonga (2012) took up the rear (but dead centre for reasons of balance as he is very tall), between the Crown Prince of Serbia and the Crown Prince of Thailand.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Serene Highness

What the heck was the woman from Swaziland wearing? For the love of god! No kidding over the top. It reminds me of that program " My big fat gypsy wedding". Talk about disturbing.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
What the heck was the woman from Swaziland wearing? For the love of god! No kidding over the top. It reminds me of that program " My big fat gypsy wedding". Talk about disturbing.
I think 'disturbing' is a good word for it. It's a shame that someone who more than likely has the resources for a decent stylist is more than likely not utilizing one. It's quite disgraceful to come to functions such as these dressed in such gaudy and tasteless outfits.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you very much. I thought I was the only one out there who thought it tasteless. What could she have been thinking knowing she will be in the presence of Kings and Queens? Maybe it was temporary insanity. I know I have claimed it a couple times.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I think 'disturbing' is a good word for it. It's a shame that someone who more than likely has the resources for a decent stylist is more than likely not utilizing one. It's quite disgraceful to come to functions such as these dressed in such gaudy and tasteless outfits.
Even thought it was a formal dinner in the evening, it was a stately occasion for crowned heads of the world. The word refined must not have been in her vocabulary when she dressed for dinner. I'm wondering if she caught on to this at all? Perhaps if Philip had said something.....
Old 05-20-2012, 12:53 AM
Serene Highness

Hahaha. Wouldnt that have been something? He was probably thinking she looked ghastly! Well actually Im sure everyone there was thinking it, even the workers Im sure. I thought Camillas dress for dinner was quite lovely on her. Good color. Would have loved to have seen more bling though.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Aristocracy

I would love to been the fly in the room when everyone returned to to their hotels. That dress was terrible and over done for the event I think. At least if you compare it to the other dresses.

I though everyone's outfits at the lunch and dinner was nice. Well except for the Lady from Swaziland.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Even Italian press wrote about the " inconvenient" guests at the Queen's Jubilee Luncheon.
Londra, è polemica sugli invitati «scomodi» che siedono al tavolo della regina - Corriere.it
Google Переводчик
At the same time I wonder why prince Aga Khan was absent from the ceremony.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:34 AM
Aristocracy

How distasteful and inappropriate for the Swaziland king's wife to choose loud and garish designs to represent her country where most of its citizens are starving.

Girl, this was the time to tone it down! Not the time to go crazy with the feathers, ruffles, and glue gun.

I suppose her fashion "sense" is her way to cope for being one of 13 wives.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breffney View Post
I think that it was Margareta that she curtseyed to. This has set me off again.
I found the picture of Kate curtseying; the lady was not Crown Princess Margareta of Romania, but Queen Margarita of Bulgaria (also a "former" royal); both wore red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtatum View Post
How distasteful and inappropriate for the Swaziland king's wife to choose loud and garish designs to represent her country where most of its citizens are starving.
The Queen's dress was horrible, tacky and distasteful all right. On the other hand, how many of us knew about the existence of the third wife of King Mswati III until the luncheon? And now we are all talking about her. Mission accomplished from her point of view, I guess.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Falls under the category of "What was she thinking?" But maybe Artemisia is correct; the Queen of Swaziland might have had a strategy for her 15 minutes of fame for her Big Bird look, and she got it!
Old 05-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I found the picture of Kate curtseying; the lady was not Crown Princess Margareta of Romania, but Queen Margarita of Bulgaria (also a "former" royal); both wore red.
Thanks for that, Artemisia. !
Old 05-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The York princesses are royal by birth. Anne's children aren't royal - her words not mine. Anne said many years ago 'my children aren't royal, they just have The Queen for their grandmother'.

The York princesses will probably turn out at events like this for the rest of their lives, in the way that the Kents and Gloucesters do. The difference is that the York princesses won't be having a load of royal duties to do as well.
Please clarify for me this quote from Royal Princess Anne: "my children aren't royal,they just have the Queen for their grandmother". How does this quote exclude her children from being royal?

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, . . . .
Old 05-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Artemisia, can you please direct me to that photo of Kate's curtsey?
Old 05-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Danishla,
Her children are commoners. They are not HRH Prince or Princess of the United Kingdom. They play no role in the official life of the nation and are free to pursue their own lives and interests.
They have a grandmother who is Queen and a mother who is a princess and get to attend big family occassions, but they themselves are not official royals.
Margaret used to say the same thing about her children "They are not royal, they just have an aunt who happens to be the Queen".
Old 05-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Heir Apparent

And both Anne and Mark Phillips refused a title at the time of their marriage so that their children would have private lives and not have to perform in the public life of a royal.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Danishla,
Her children are commoners. They are not HRH Prince or Princess of the United Kingdom. They play no role in the official life of the nation and are free to pursue their own lives and interests.
They have a grandmother who is Queen and a mother who is a princess and get to attend big family occassions, but they themselves are not official royals.
Margaret used to say the same thing about her children "They are not royal, they just have an aunt who happens to be the Queen".
Also, isn't it correct that Anne's children wouldn't have been styled His / Her Royal Highness as in the UK, the title of Royal Highness is governed by letters patent issued by George V in 1917.

These deem that the title of Prince/Princess, with the qualification of Royal Highness, was restricted to the children of the sovereign, the children of the sons of any such sovereign, and the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales (the title held by the heir apparent to the throne).
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breffney View Post
Thanks for that, Artemisia. !
I owe you an apology; looks like Kate talked to both Queen Margarita and Crown Princess Margareta, and curtsied to each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Artemisia, can you please direct me to that photo of Kate's curtsey?
I am trying to find the picture again (didn't think to save it), but meanwhile if you check out the YouTube video below at 1:15, you'll see her curtseying to Crown Princess Margareta.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I owe you an apology; looks like Kate talked to both Queen Margarita and Crown Princess Margareta, and curtsied to each.
Bless you, not at all. I hadn't seen the curtsey myself and was only going on reports.