The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Diamond Jubilee 2012

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Serene Highness

The Kent brothers were not mentioned in the speech today but I am sure Her Majesty, the Duke and Prince Michael, are well used to this. Edward and Michael both graduated from Sandhurst and were professional soldiers for over 20 years with Prince Michael earning a U.N. peacekeeping medal for his work in Cypress following the Turkish invasion of the north which was not without considerable risk. Similarily their army careers were cut short in the 1970's as neither were allowed to serve in Northern Ireland which was an essential requirement in those days for promotion. Like most on this forum I have no problem with the Queen bestowing honorary military appointments on those who have actually served but people like the Duke of Gloucester and Prince Edward are totally ridiculous.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybags View Post
The Prince of Orange was also present.

Familia Regal

Nice to see that someone was to represent Dutch RF at the parade
Here is the picture from the blog
http://www.princeradublog.ro/wp-cont...2012/05/64.jpg

Old 05-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diamond Jubilee: Queen watches Royal Navy, the Army and RAF march through Windsor | Mail Online

Old 05-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Majesty

The fly past was certainly a sight to behold. Definitely my favorite part of the festivities. I do love the expression on the face of the Countess of Wessex when she's looking at her mother-in-law and monarch. There's lots of reverence and respect, and one can see that these two ladies have a mutual affection for one another. I did love seeing the royals taking pictures of the events. It's always nice to have something like that in one's family photo albums. After all, one doesn't celebrate a Diamond Jubilee all that often.

The Queen of Swaziland definitely had us talking. Her sense of style is surely very...unique .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Wonderful tribute to HM. But I wonder what fashion magazines and designers the Queen of Swaziland is consulting for her Sesame Street Big Bird look????
Old 05-20-2012, 03:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
While it is true Prince Richard didn't serve, Prince Michael very much did.
He graduated Sandhurst and saw active service in Germany, Cyprus and Hong King, before retiring from the Army in 1981, with the rank of Major. Her Majesty gave Prince Michael his first honouorary position more than a decade later; in 1994, Prince Michael was made Honorary Commodore (now Rear Admiral) of the Royal Naval Reserve.
Information straight off his website perhaps? My info came from wiki.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMil View Post

Nice to see that someone was to represent Dutch RF at the parade
Here is the picture from the blog
http://www.princeradublog.ro/wp-cont...2012/05/64.jpg

Not just Prince of Orange but also and Princess Maxima attend the military parade
Picture thanks to Prince Radu's Facebook page
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...56812021_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...16499674_n.jpg
Old 05-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Duke of Kent was sitting behind Prince Philipp, how old is she ? We never see the Duchess of Kent anymore ?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sashes :
Prince Philip , Princess Royal , the Dukes of York and Kent are the only wearing British highest decoration : the Order of the Garter.
Prince Edouard, Prince Michel of Kent, the Duke of Gloucester are wearing minor Orders ?
Princess Royal’s husband is wearing no sash ?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Information straight off his website perhaps? My info came from wiki.
I didn't even know he had a website.
My information came from Wikipedia as well:
Quote:
Educated at Sunningdale School and Eton College, Prince Michael entered the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, in January 1961, where he was commissioned into the 11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own), in 1963. He saw service in Germany, Hong Kong, and Cyprus, where his squadron formed part of the UN peacekeeping force of 1971. Subsequent tours of duty, during a military career that spanned twenty years, included a number of appointments on the Defence Intelligence Staff. He retired from the Army, with the rank of Major, in 1981. In 1994, Prince Michael was made Honorary Commodore (now Honorary Rear Admiral) of the Royal Naval Reserve, and in 2002 he was made Honorary Air Commodore of RAF Benson. In 2009, he was appointed Honorary Regimental Colonel of theHonourable Artillery Company. He is also colonel-in-chief of the Essex and Kent Scottish Regiment in Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMil View Post

Not just Prince of Orange but also and Princess Maxima attend the military parade
Picture thanks to Prince Radu's Facebook page
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...56812021_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...16499674_n.jpg
Thanks for the pictures, MagMil!
I had no idea the Princes of Orange attended the parade. Wonder how many other royals were there that we have no idea of.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Courtier

Does anyone know why the Cambridges, Harry, and the York Princesses didn't attend the Parade? I'm especially curious about Harry since he is an active member of the military.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
The Duke of Kent was sitting behind Prince Philipp, how old is she ? We never see the Duchess of Kent anymore ?
The Duke of Kent was born in 1935, so he is now 77 years old.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Does anyone know why the Cambridges, Harry, and the York Princesses didn't attend the Parade? I'm especially curious about Harry since he is an active member of the military.
It's possible that William and Harry were at work. They're going to need a bit of time off for the main Jubilee weekend, so maybe they have to get as many shifts in as possible before then?

I also think William and Kate are being quite careful in ensuring that their presence doesn't overshadow the Queen, which pretty much always happens when they're at a RF event. All the press were really talking about after the sovereigns' lunch was Kate.

There are plenty of events coming up where the whole family will be together.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Romanian Royal Family at Diamond Jubilee Armed Forces Parade at Windsor:

Familia Regal
Old 05-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I was also wondering regarding hte PoW and the DoC - all of the other children and spouses of HM have been present?
Old 05-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Sashes :
Prince Philip , Princess Royal , the Dukes of York and Kent are the only wearing British highest decoration : the Order of the Garter.
Prince Edouard, Prince Michel of Kent, the Duke of Gloucester are wearing minor Orders ?
Princess Royal’s husband is wearing no sash ?
Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, wears the Sash of the Order of the Garter, the Star of the Garter, the Star of the Royal Victorian Order, and the Star of the Order of St. Michael and St. George.

Prince Michael of Kent wears the Sash and Star of the Royal Victorian Order.

The Duke of Gloucester wears the Sash of the Order of the Garter, the Star of the Garter, the Star of the Royal Victorian Order, and the Star of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem.

The Princess Royal's husband wears only the Star of a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order. He does not wear a Sash because he has not been awarded the Knight Grand Cross.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks mybags what a difference between the 2 Kent Brothers
The Duke of Kent wears the highest decorations such as the Prince of Wales ?
Old 05-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Thanks mybags what a difference between the 2 Kent Brothers
The Duke of Kent wears the highest decorations such as the Prince of Wales ?
Not entirely sure what you are asking but yes both the Duke of Kent and the Prince of Wales are Knights of the Garter. The Duke is also GCMG (and Grand Master of the order) and GCVO, but the PoW does not have those orders. The PoW is KT and GCB (and Grand Master of that order).
Old 05-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post
I was also wondering regarding hte PoW and the DoC - all of the other children and spouses of HM have been present?
I believe the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall were on their way to Canada for the jubilee trip, that's why they were not there.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
The fly past was certainly a sight to behold. Definitely my favorite part of the festivities. I do love the expression on the face of the Countess of Wessex when she's looking at her mother-in-law and monarch. There's lots of reverence and respect, and one can see that these two ladies have a mutual affection for one another. I did love seeing the royals taking pictures of the events. It's always nice to have something like that in one's family photo albums. After all, one doesn't celebrate a Diamond Jubilee all that often.

The Queen of Swaziland definitely had us talking. Her sense of style is surely very...unique .
I agree with you regarding Sophie and the Queen, loved those photos. Sophie's smile to the Queen was beautiful, she has such respect for her. Someone said that the reason Sophie gets on well with the Queen is because she respects her first as the Queen, then as a mother-in-law. The images remind me of when the Queen lifted Lady Louise's hat at the Windsor Horse Show. Such cute images. Sophie definitely got lucky having a daughter who looks just like the Queen!

After looking at more images I noticed what Queen Margrethe was wearing on her head and I feel she and Sophie bonded.

Satelite Dishes R Us