The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Diamond Jubilee 2012

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Serene Highness

No pics of Monaco Royals or Queen Sonja yet?

Old 05-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
No pics of Monaco Royals or Queen Sonja yet?
I'm not sure Monaco royals where there, but King Harald and Queen Sonja definitely attended the parade.
I caught a glimpse of the couple on BBC, and you can just see them in this picture (King Harald is behind Queen Margrethe, and Queen Sonja - behind Prince Henrik and next to Grand Duchess Maria Teresa). King Constantine and Queen Anne Maria of Greece also attended the parade.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Courtier

I think Queen Anne-Marie is wearing the suit she wore to the christening of Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine? It looks familiar.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

The King and the Queen of the Belgians such as Queen Beatrix did not attend.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Margarethe has busy days. To Morrow the Christening of her Granddaughter.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative - Morocco

if i am a royal i'll invite the to all my events even the private oneshe is sush brave lady.
Queen Elizabeth looks wonderful as usual and so do the Duchess Maria Teresa.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

How weird is it to see royals taking photos of the festivities like any other tourist? The juxtaposition is just a bit strange.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
How weird is it to see royals taking photos of the festivities like any other tourist? The juxtaposition is just a bit strange.
I noticed Prince Andrew taking pictures, a hobby he shares with his mother. He is quite a skilled photographer.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Margarita of Bulgaria and King Carl Gustav were also taking photos.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
I noticed Prince Andrew taking pictures, a hobby he shares with his mother. He is quite a skilled photographer.
I noticed that in some of the images I saw and thought how normal that made them look. Everybody takes many, many photographs when attending these things. It was really lovely. Andrew has taken many family photographs, including some of Charles and Diana, and we all know he took Lady Louise's first images. I wish I had a talent in photography.

I am just about to watch the episode on BBC iPlayer. Looking forward to seeing the fly past, particularly the 60 and EIIR. What a talent.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Watching it on BBC I player and the one thing that's annoying me is Fiona Bruce's commentary on the Queen's parade down to the arena. I wanted to listen to the crowd not her repeating information.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am almost finished watching it, but I have to say I felt a bit awkward when General Sir David Richards was speaking and he mentioned all of the Queen's members of the family who had served and they obviously did not mention Edward as he has not done it. As he listed The Prince of Wales, The Duke of York, The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry, I sort of thought Edward must feel a bit awkward. I know he chose to drop out, which is fair play to him as he knew it was not for him and he did not want to carry on just because it was "tradition" (and he got away with it being the youngest), I still feel he must feel a bit odd at times like that.

Having said that, I like the uniform he was wearing today! Odd question, but I noticed Prince Michael and The Duke of Gloucester wearing uniforms; have they ever served or are they similar to Edward's ie. honorary appointments.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101
I am almost finished watching it, but I have to say I felt a bit awkward when General Sir David Richards was speaking and he mentioned all of the Queen's members of the family who had served and they obviously did not mention Edward as he has not done it. As he listed The Prince of Wales, The Duke of York, The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry, I sort of thought Edward must feel a bit awkward. I know he chose to drop out, which is fair play to him as he knew it was not for him and he did not want to carry on just because it was "tradition" (and he got away with it being the youngest), I still feel he must feel a bit odd at times like that.

Having said that, I like the uniform he was wearing today! Odd question, but I noticed Prince Michael and The Duke of Gloucester wearing uniforms; have they ever served or are they similar to Edward's ie. honorary appointments.
Both hold honorary appointments and never served. Anne was also wearing a uniform today, one she technically did not "earn". Like her brother Edward, but people forget that because she is either Anne or they see that she is a woman. The armed forces are very difficult and you have to be a certain type of man to hold out, Edward unlike his brothers is a very different character.

Love the diamond jubilee fanfare and the anthem to the Queen btw, simply beautiful.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Prince Michael was in the army for 20 years. The Duke of Gloucester never served.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Both hold honorary appointments and never served.
While it is true Prince Richard didn't serve, Prince Michael very much did.
He graduated Sandhurst and saw active service in Germany, Cyprus and Hong King, before retiring from the Army in 1981, with the rank of Major. Her Majesty gave Prince Michael his first honouorary position more than a decade later; in 1994, Prince Michael was made Honorary Commodore (now Rear Admiral) of the Royal Naval Reserve.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Both hold honorary appointments and never served. Anne was also wearing a uniform today, one she technically did not "earn". Like her brother Edward, but people forget that because she is either Anne or they see that she is a woman. The armed forces are very difficult and you have to be a certain type of man to hold out, Edward unlike his brothers is a very different character.

Love the diamond jubilee fanfare and the anthem to the Queen btw, simply beautiful.
It really bothers me when people give Edward such stick for wearing a uniform, yet they never argue over Anne riding on horseback for Trooping the Colour, even though she never served. Edward did not even wear military wear for his marriage (which I thought was much more romantic), yet nothing is ever said over Anne wearing a uniform every year for Trooping the Colour. Edward is unlike his brothers in that he knew the army lifestyle was not for him, though I believe a lot of that was due to him being the youngest and the rules were much more lax for him. Always have been and likely always will be, right down to the fact he did not have to make his marriage a state occasion, nor did he have to marry the first woman he met.

Thank you for the information of the Duke of Gloucester. I was aware that his son had served, but was unsure of Richard himself.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Belga galleries
BelgaPicture - Category details
BelgaPicture - Category details
Old 05-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't disagree, Molly, but I just think that for male royals especially, a period of military service is now the least that the public expects from them. It's the clearest way to serve the nation, to be willing to spend several years in full time employment, often in uncomfortable and challenging surroundings getting yelled at by superiors. It also justifies the honorary appointments because it means you can look your fellow service personnel in the eyes and understand something of what they're going through.

I don't begrudge Edward a uniform, but if he chose to refuse to wear one because he hadn't earned it, I think a lot of people would respect him more.

With females it's different, although it probably shouldn't be. I think Anne has a reputation of being a tremendously hard working royal and that's what comes to mind when people see her.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Diamond Jubilee parade: Magnificent salute to 60 glorious years - hellomagazine.com
Old 05-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Courtier

The Prince of Orange was also present.

Familia Regal