Prince Albert II of Monaco and Charlene Wittstock: Church Wedding - July 2, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't read up on all the pages and threads. Did Grand Duchess Maria Therese not attend the dinner? I only saw pics of her husband.

Are you sure she wore the Ocean tiara? I don't think so... The one she had on is the one that was earlier referred to by a poster as the "new modern tiara"...

Someone mentioned beforehand about how this wedding turned out to be such a dignified event and I totally agree. It was also elegant but with the right touch of understatement to it. The bride and groom looked sombre but that's understandable since I think they're both very reserved people and for two such people to get married with a lot of very important people plus a tiny country watching, well that could be more than a little overwhelming. Perfect wedding dress for her, modern and nothing frou frou and one would never see that dress and think of Grace Kelly's wedding dress like I did with the Duchess of Cambridge's, lol. Would have loved to see the details on the front. Good job, Armani!

I like how the Grimaldis do these things. There's a strong sense of family to the wedding despite it being a very formal event. All the nieces had a part to play, much like any non royal couple's wedding and their mothers looking very proud, nice touch that.

Most of all, I'm impressed with the turnout of VIPs, particularly other European royals. It means they see Monaco as an equal and that they treat Albert as a sovereign and a friend. Enough with the snootiness that used to cause these people's parents/grandparents to basically ignore Monaco. Times have changed yes but I wonder if this is also due to personal relationships Albert and his late parents have forged throughout the years with these royals, in which case, kudos to them.

Last edited:
I liked the simplicity of the area. Charlene looked really nice but in some pictures she looked like a barbie, pale and too blonde. Make up was not bad but could've been better (she didn't look as radiant as at the civil wedding).

The disappointment was that she didn't wear any earrings not even studs.

Me too with the earrings. I don't see the wedding cake everyone's commenting on. Monaco is so beautiful it makes me want to visit!

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't read up on all the pages and threads. Did Grand Duchess Maria Therese not attend the dinner? I only saw pics of her husband.

I'm not sure. I've searched and searched, but I haven't seen any pics of her. I saw Henri and Guillaume, but not MT. Maybe pics will pop up eventually...?

Someone mentioned beforehand about how this wedding turned out to be such a dignified event and I totally agree. It was also elegant but with the right touch of understatement to it. The bride and groom looked sombre but that's understandable since I think they're both very reserved people and for two such people to get married with a lot of very important people plus a tiny country watching, well that could be more than a little overwhelming. Perfect wedding dress for her, modern and nothing frou frou and one would never see that dress and think of Grace Kelly's wedding dress like I did with the Duchess of Cambridge's, lol. Would have loved to see the details on the front. Good job, Armani!

I like how the Grimaldis do these things. There's a strong sense of family to the wedding despite it being a very formal event. All the nieces had a part to play, much like any non royal couple's wedding and their mothers looking very proud, nice touch that.

Most of all, I'm impressed with the turnout of VIPs, particularly other European royals. It means they see Monaco as an equal and that they treat Albert as a sovereign and a friend. Enough with the snootiness that used to cause these people's parents/grandparents to basically ignore Monaco. Times have changed yes but I wonder if this is also due to personal relationships Albert and his late parents have forged throughout the years with these royals, in which case, kudos to them.

I agree with your statements regarding Charlene's dress. Hopefully this picture shows the details! I found it on the Myroyals blog...

http://i51.tinypic.com/34so3yb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A german comentator was wondering if the bride felt Ok the day of the wedding, they were playing a recap of the event and on the way to St Devote when they walked along the crowds she didn't even try to get close to the people and shake some hands or talk to them. Albert was very outgoing. He seemed bothered when she started crying in the Chapel.

Last edited:
Didn't Albert once suffered from stammering? Could it be why he talked the way he did during his speech?

where can I see the wedding speech ?

Do you think the marble flooring added at the base of the dual staircase of the Palace Courtyard is a permanent fixture, or is just temporary addition for the wedding? It is beautiful and looks appropriate as it creates another stage in the courtyard.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-75YL4tUa9...15839670_129575557118596_276375_1356773_o.jpg

Also, as much as positioning the royal guests this way was dramatic, I honestly think it wasn't a good idea given that you could hardly see those situated at the top of the staircase. It featured the stairway and the Gallery Of Hercules as the main focus of the photo and not the guests. Unfortunate, as it is the only photo that could have showcased the Grimaldis being honored by the presence of the other European royals who came in full force.

Last edited:
What exactly did Charlotte say? My French only consists of Bonjour and maybe a few other things.

Many thanks for that. It's the first time i could find something about the Dinner.

Didn't Albert once suffered from stammering? Could it be why he talked the way he did during his speech?
Sternchen....you are quite correct and it took him a long time to overcome it.
I think Albert was filled with emotion and the reallity that he is now 'actually' married would have played a great part on how he delivered his speech...to sum him up I think he was lost for words :in_love:

Do you think the marble flooring added at the base of the dual staircase of the Palace Courtyard is a permanent fixture, or is just temporary addition for the wedding? It is beautiful and looks appropriate as it creates another stage in the courtyard.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-75YL4tUa9...15839670_129575557118596_276375_1356773_o.jpg

Also, as much as positioning the royal guests this way was dramatic, I honestly think it wasn't a good idea given that you could hardly see those situated at the top of the staircase. It featured the stairway and the Gallery Of Hercules as the main focus of the photo and not the guests. Unfortunate, as it is the only photo that could have showcased the Grimaldis being honored by the presence of the other European royals who came in full force.

Hi there, i think it's a permanent increment. Too big, heavy and expensive to be expendable :)

What exactly did Charlotte say? My French only consists of Bonjour and maybe a few other things.

We have the same level in our French knowledge, Empress :) I wish we could have a translation, so i could post at the video description. :bang:

I think he was lost for words :in_love:

Agree - and yet he went on for 9 minutes (when, as he said, it was suppose to be 3 minutes) - one senses (or I do) that he was nervous and was really trying to tell Charlene something. (I find him charming - and see his appeal for women). There was a lot going on in that speech - it was very personal - too bad the world was watching. I suspect he went as far as he thought he could in such a public venue. Thing is, he was among friends - and his subjects love him - so that's all that matters.

Well, it´s not that important since it´s a passage/verse (don´t know which is the correct word) from the Bible. A rough translation:

"Dear friends, since God loves us so much, we ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God, but if we love one another, God lives/dwells in us, and his love is perfected in us". Word of God.

Alcatur: For a better translation just type some of these words.

Was Prince Ernst of Hannover at the either of the civil or religious wedding ceremonies? I ask, because I did not see him on television or have seen any photographs of him.

Thank you

Last edited:
I'm still catching up with the several clips and I just want to add something about the toast.The giggles shared between Princess Charlene's mom and King Gustav coz made me laughed last night when I first saw it lol..he was just standing there waiting for her and she forgot to turn to to her left side lol. I also loved Princess Caroline's brief appearance on that video,her regal posture is something I've always admired about her.

Was Prince Ernst of Hannover at the either of the civil or religious wedding ceremonies? I ask, because I did not see him on television or have seen any photographs of him.

Thank you

He was'nt present to neither of the two ceremonies but his two children,Prince Ernst August Jr and Prince Christian were both present during the JM Jarre concert,religious event and the ball.

Agree - and yet he went on for 9 minutes (when, as he said, it was suppose to be 3 minutes) - one senses (or I do) that he was nervous and was really trying to tell Charlene something. (I find him charming - and see his appeal for women). There was a lot going on in that speech - it was very personal - too bad the world was watching. I suspect he went as far as he thought he could in such a public venue. Thing is, he was among friends - and his subjects love him - so that's all that matters.

Wow, bless you both. You are very forgiving. :flowers: I guess I hold speakers to a higher standard. Read from prepared notes that you've vetted with several people or memorize your speech.

His speech was filled with "I this" and "I that." And the groom traditionally toasts the bride not "peace, love, and harmony." He just came off as self-centered to me. :sad:

If Princess Charlene doesn't speak French as many of said, does she understand it? Because the wedding was in French and I'm just curious if understood her own weddding....

Wow- huge impressive yummy looking cake :)

If Princess Charlene doesn't speak French as many of said, does she understand it? Because the wedding was in French and I'm just curious if understood her own weddding....

In my experience, it's easier to understand what is said in a foreign language rather than speak it. I'm sure they ran through the Mass in French for her... at least, I sure hope they did. :whistling:

She did wear it. It blends in so you have to look closely at pics

I was talking about the wave tiara, not the clothes hanger with diamonds tiara..

One reason for the bride's wooden demeanor and tears might be found in this article from today's Telegraph
Princess Charlene of Monaco 'tried to flee three times' - Telegraph
The fact she went ahead with the marriage speaks to her courage and determination to build a relationship with this man who seems to take his 'droit du seigneur' very seriously indeed. Good luck to the both of them. One hopes that the well known taste for gossip and scandalmongering in small communities like Monaco will not defeat the new couple princier.

Back
Top Bottom