Reflections on the Princely Wedding

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lenora

Heir Presumptive
City
Riga
Country
Latvia
Which were your favourite and least favourite moments?
Generally,I did not think that I would enjoy watching Prince Albert's wedding,but I really enjoyed it.The ceremony in itself had purely French chic and "grandeur".I liked that the royal and non-royal guests at the wedding were presented better on TV then at the British wedding this year.I enjoyed to see the traditions of Catholic Church and Sainte Devote tradition.The most touching moment for me was not only the moment of reciprocal vows,but the moment when Charlene wept ,when she seemed to be really touched after all the attention around.She did a great work in sport and she really deserves to be princess.I liked Prince Albert's words at Gala Dinner that the "decision to marry Charlene" was the best he ever had taken.

I enjoyed it a lot as well.

Her dress was gorgeous and the music was beautiful.

I think that a 3 days events was to much for them and they looked more tired than sad. Princess Charlène cried when she was in the small Sainte Devote's church because this day was so difficult for her and listening the girl and the Lady from Monaco singing and smiling was beautiful.
She will be a great Princess for Monaco because she is so beautiful ,honest and a high level competition winner.
This time her match is how to be a good Consort with the help of ?? , how to learn and speak french and as wife of a head of State she has to give Monaco an heir.
I was glad to see on french TV a film about Princess Grace, her first steps in Monaco were not easy at all.

I liked it. I thought it was really beautiful! Charlene looked amazing on both days.

This was a lovely wedding, filled with humanity. As a poster said: 'absolutely beautiful wedding dress - modern and sharp, yet romantic and classy.' I totally agree.

But what about those flower girls? Those hats surprised me. Are they a French thing? Monaco tradition? Overall very pretty.

The whole wedding had such taste. Very beautiful to watch - and a sit-down meal! Yes! ;)

We will never know the real reasons behind the weeping (the singing was exquisite, have to say, would strike a cord - I could understand being moved hearing it at such a moment), the look on her face that so many see as sorrow - but I saw relief and smiles on both their faces as they emerged from the church.

Albert does seem to have the habit of winking at people - must be his way of putting people at ease. As he walked down the aisle he was winking at people - though I have to say winking can be unconscious (I apparently do it - and I'm not aware - its the way one eye closes as I smile - but it looks intentional on his part). I saw tons of nervousness in Albert - and Charlene's apparent 'sorrow', well, these ceremonies are very long and one can't always be grinning (that would be false). They've been together a while, after all. It just all seemed very real - and I appreciated that.

I didn't get to watch the entire wedding, from what I have seen, it was beautiful. Both couples looked happy. I have nothing but best wishes for them & their families.

The dresses and gowns were so much fun to look at, and many were very beautiful. But the wedding itself....let's just say that I didn't get the same happy feeling with this wedding as W and K last April. Their joy was so evident. I don't pick up that feeling with these two. I could be wrong, and I hope I am. I certainly wish them the very best.

Albert's winks and nods are his way of trying to put people at ease, trying to make people feel special, a subtle show of familiarity. Everyone looked happy to me, I noticed more smiles than anything else and I loved the style of it all. The hats on the girls are a part of the traditional Monegasque folk costume, probably better recognized than that for the males which consists of a lively vest, red sash, neck ribbon and cloth tied around the head. I thought their presence was a very nice touch and that was probably my overriding feeling for the event. It seemed like a family wedding for that big-little clan called the Monegasque. The people seemed genuinely happy and just more present than at other weddings. It's hard to put it into words as to why, but that is the feeling I came away with. Of course you cannot compare the pomp and ceremony of Monaco with the leftover imperial grandeur of the British but I was glad that the foreign royals seemed to get better coverage this time around (based on the channel I watched the London wedding on you would think the only important people present were Mr & Mrs David Beckham and Mr & Mr Elton John). Everyone looked pretty good to me, some may have missed the mark a bit but no major disasters stood out from what I saw. All in all it seemed to me a great success and I think hit just the note they were trying for. God bless them.

:monacostandard: :monacoflag: :monacoflag2::heart::southafricaflag:

Nice wedding, the bride looked frail yet pretty but am I reading the news reports correctly? The palace is now confirming that Prince Albert WILL be taking a paternity test to determine if he has fathered a third child out of wedlock?

Poor Charlene :sad:

I refrain from speculations about what kind of relationship A&C actually have, it is certainly not the fairy tale they want to sell BUT

I never thought that this would be such a classy and dignified event. The ceremony did live up to the enormous expectation and the "heavyweight" guests: Heads of State, an almost complete european royal family, NOT sending some c-class representatives (who would have thought) but attending themselves.

It was NOT the wannabe-royal-celebrity circus wedding many people expected to see but could easily live up to any of the "serious" weddings of the "big" HRH houses.

Very well done, Albert & Charlene!

it is certainly not the fairy tale they want to sell BUT

Having watched the groom's speech, it seems clear to me that they themselves do not think of it as a fairytale and nor are they attempting to sell it as one. Infact, making mention that it hasn't been any easy journey reflects this.

Having watched the wedding and speech, it seems to me that this is a couple who can be quite shy where their relationship is concerned. Protective, I guess. And though I naturally do not know the state of their relatonship, I'd endavour to suggest it's a loving one? Not without it's trials I'm sure but they have just married so one would like to think there is a good deal of love shared.

They appeared to be really quite nervous and Albert is a softly spoken man in any case. Charlene herself seems quite demure by nature. I think they are well balanced for one another in this regard. At least I hope so.

I think this was perhaps the nicest wedding of any ruling dynasty I've ever seen. There was something about the location, the setup and the couple that resonated well with me. For such a grand occasion, it all seemed so intimate. It was an entirely stylish affair which lacked a faux dignity one would have expected from within the millionaire's playground.

Last edited:
Nice wedding, the bride looked frail yet pretty but am I reading the news reports correctly? The palace is now confirming that Prince Albert WILL be taking a paternity test to determine if he has fathered a third child out of wedlock?

I think it is two tests.

I was afraid this was going to happen. Some people will start saying "poor Charlene". If she is aware of what´s coming next weeks and she still decided to marry, I don´t see how she can be considered a victim here. It speaks a lot about her reasons to marry.

it is certainly not the fairy tale they want to sell

You think they were trying to 'sell'? And a fairy tale? I've never gotten that and I very much did not see that. (I am seeing that with the British couple, but not here). They were who they were and nothing was masked. I was impressed. All in all it felt like a royal wedding - more impressive than the British wedding, probably because with this one so much was seen and it lasted over days.

Regarding the rumors, it looks like Albert is his father's son. I'd always heard that Rainier had many mistresses, too.

BTW, when I saw Charlene's brothers I thought to myself that Princess Madelaine of Sweden needs to pay attention! :whistling:

Some people will start saying "poor Charlene". If she is aware of what´s coming next weeks and she still decided to marry, I don´t see how she can be considered a victim here. It speaks a lot about her reasons to marry.

Isn't it possible that she is in love with him? A man like that is quite compelling - and he did choose her to be his wife - that says something to her, I would think.

But by 'two tests' do you mean that there are two possible children? It will be interesting to know who he dallied with - and when.

Last edited:
The favourite moment - when Andrea Bocelli sang, he has such a great voice and warm personality.
And seeing royals that interest me (Victoria, Daniel, Haakon, Mette Marit, Willem Alexander, Maxima, Philippe and Mathilde).

This is about the wedding, not about rumours, the relationship itself nor future issues!

I found Albert´s wedding speech simply horrible and I almost felt awful about it to listen. He had done much better to draft one and read it from the note. He IMO tries to come over as shy and "good guy" but he has proofed the opposite so far....
His comment that to marry Charlene was the best decision he ever made - well obviously...(Charlene´s mother is one year his junior) It´s IMO no question that he married in the first place to have an legitim heir one day....
The whole ceremony itself was IMO one of the best I´ve ever seen - very "royal" and supportive of the state.
Charlene to me appears very royal in her distant shy manner. She should keep this. Hopefully she will have some favourable influence on Albert if this is still possible...
There was one scene on TV where Andrea and his aunt Stephanie obviously argued. Looked strange.
The wedding gown looked IMO too much like an evening gown. Would have loved to see a skirt also with the fabric of the veil - like a tutu.

Sometimes there is greatness at hand where everyone is able to see. In such matters where the representers enter a position of greatness as in the case of being chosen for the Kingdom of the land and thus inheriting a tradition or legacy of homage from the people, you may wonder as to the implications of such a right. To me I follow the Royals and am impressed with their intent to better the land and human kind with their uniformity of regard for choice. Therefore I am left keenly eye opened at the intricacies and particularities of these public personas. As far as wondering about gracefulness or fairytale like comparisons, I can only say that each and all members of Royal birth immediately qualify for speculation as such because of their importance or notoriety.

I look at this couple and I think to myself and wonder what is it I see of them. Again and again I find them to be a match made of all things fairylike. They appear perfect for each other and I hope that is why they are married and their lives are as one written upon the stars. I'm happy they chose to wed and that Charlene is now Princess. I smile to all that. I hope the Royals do great and I think they are the better for it through these two. May Albert and Charlene uphold the legacy and make Rainier and Grace happy, the former reigning Monaco Royals. I'm sure along the way they will. Cheers and congratulations!! :clap: :castle2: :cheers:

Last edited:
Reflections on the Monegasque wedding ?
Perhaps these are a little too early....

I'm still looking through the various clips and articles, and - last but not least - the output from the TRF members !!

Yes and in sites they talk about a third and a fourth child.... there are rumours too that he has had a second child with Nicole.... I REALLY hope all these are false. I really love Charlène !:sad::sad::sad:

I doubt she is a poor Charlène. I can't imagine she didn't know what she was getting herself into, nor do I think the Palace and Albert would want the scandal of Charlène having enough, stepping to the media and divorce him. No need for another Diana situation.

The wedding itself was really beautiful to me. The setting, surroundings, atmosphere were all top-notch. (It's Monaco after all) The bride was gorgeous, the people were dressed well. Too bad such rumors hve to happen right before their wedding and after it aswell, but alas, with Albert's history, it was to be expected. Legit or not.

I thought it was a beautifully staged event - not at all tacky as some had feared. The ceremony with its wonderful music made sure it was a serious occasion which perhaps partly explains why both Charlene & Albert seemed ill at ease & reluctant to share intimacies. However, Charlene's frequent faraway gazes did worry me. At what pont did the enormity of what she has taken on really dawn on her? As for her dress I personally found it one of the most beautiful I have seen & I loved the cream/white colours reflected in the uniforms/ the clergy/ flowers etc. I thought the participation of the younger family members was a brilliant touch.

Elly C, I fully concur with your comments. I would even add the word 'memorable'. I am so proud of Charlene for being so gracious throughout it all, and she looked utterly exquisite. Her deep concentration during the religious ceremony made her seem distant and contemplative even, so it was really beautiful to finally see her show some emotion at the Church of St. Devotee. It was a beautiful wedding overall, and she is going to be a worthy Princess de Monaco. I wish the couple all the happiness in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
The wedding was exactly as I expected it to be - vulgar. They seemed to think that by spending lots of money, wearing expensive designer clothes, inviting washed up rock stars and celebrities would make people marvel at how classy and chic they are. In fact it does the exact opposite. But then again given that Monaco is in decline and its history as, to quote a commentator at the Daily Telegraph yesterday, 'the moral gutter of Europe', we shouldn't expect anything less.

(..) Just goes to show that all the money in the world does not buy you class.

Will and Kate's wedding was wonderful, but I got the feeling that they would have been happier with a small, private family wedding. With the Monaco wedding they just seemed determined to use it as a way of showing off, a respected French magazine I read yesterday derided it as 'bling bling'. However, their attempts to impress completely failed given the humiliation of the bride not just yesterday but all week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes,because the BRF is exactly the paradigm of virtues *eyeroll*

These 'so called' UK journalist should be airing the dirty laundry of their own royal family instead of preaching and calling out who are the saints and the sinners and yes,I'm also also calling out the media of own country, Spain,who love to marvel at the misfortune of other royal families without airing the shenanigans of our 'very dear King'.Shame!

The wedding turned out to a well-planned event. It was great to see the whole Belgian Royal family and others to attend the event.

Yes,because the BRF is exactly the paradigm of virtues *eyeroll*

Please point to the exact spot in my post where I made this claim? Please don't insult me by making out that I said things which I clearly did not.

Please point to the exact spot in my post where I made this claim? Please don't insult me by making out that I said things which I clearly did not.

I am not insulting you..I am talking about some european articles(particularly the UK ones) and all their snidy remarks about the wedding and towards the Grimaldi family. You are entitled to your own opinion and I by no means trying to personally insult you.

I was VERY dissapionted of the wedding speach by HSH Prince Albert. Who the h...was he talking to??? UN Assembly. His new wife must have felt so warm and loved. NOT

Back
Top Bottom