Reflections on the Princely Wedding

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
miche said:
^ So people woke up early in the morning (1am, 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am) in many part of the world to watch a wedding that they weren't interested in or didn't want to watch, just b/c all the television stations was showing it?

No, SOME people woke up at 4 or 5am because they have work that starts earlier due to financial markets closing at different times and tend to switch on the news during breakfast to keep track of current events.
SOME people were up at 1 or 2am because it was Friday morning and were just getting home from a night out.

Were there people who woke up or stayed up specifically to watch the wedding? Absolutely, but not 2 billion nor more than those who woke up to watch his parents get married.

I totally agree, Moonmaiden. The ceremony I watched was altogether dignified and solemn -- the way it should be -- with more than enough beautiful (subtle) moments. It was neither the time nor the place for anything else. PA seemed somewhat nervous, which is quite understandable, but his bride was impeccable, IMO.

And the way some media is portraying it now is just ridiculous. [The Guardian: "Monaco's implausibly named Princess Charlene weeping through her wedding..."] I mean, really! It appears they just saw a picture (from the Church of St. Devote), instead of forming an objective opinion from watching the whole ceremony.

In some people's eyes this couple will never get anything right. As far as I am concerned, they're a great match, and their wedding was both a moving affair and spectacular occasion I will remember for a long time.

I watched the wedding. The saddest wedding I've ever seen. Albert seemed very nervous, and in a "negative" way. Charlene not happy. These were my impressions. There is just no apparent "chemistry" between the two.

One plausible reason for them not being at their best:

Neither of them have ever been to a high-profile wedding, with all its attendant pressures and preparations.

They have definitely been to high profile weddings in Stockholm and in London, but this was their wedding with all the usual pressures of wanting everything to go just right as well as of course having to deal with the rumours swirling around them while a tv camera was pointed at them.
That being said there were many tender moments between them during the wedding so I was not overly concerned that in a ceremony that lasted over 90 minutes if they were not constantly holding hands and looking dreamily into each others eyes.

I meant to write: "Neither of them had been to their own wedding before".

I meant to write: "Neither of them had been to their own wedding before".

Yes I guessed that.

I often wonder how people on these boards would react to pictures of themselves if they were followed 24/7 by photographers or if they had to sit through their own weddings with a tv camera in their face. Do they imagine they would be smiling and dewey eyed all the time?

Last edited:
I agree with you both. I was confused by the statement that they had never attended....., of course, you are right. It is easier to watch than partake. And like most things, the younger you are the easier it is not to fear scrutiny.

She looked perfectly happy and at ease at the civil wedding...

She did, didn't she? It was just so much hoopala.

To me, with regards to the wedding, the body language said it all. Charlene was very weepy, and all rumours aside, to me they didn't look like a "couple". Her head was down, her face and eyes were very sad, didn't light up when she smiled :sad:. After the vows, and he sent her a "kiss" I thought he was being rather cocky myself. It certainly was a lavish wedding, with no expense spared, but, as the saying goes, money can't buy happiness. I wish Charlene much luck for her future.

Maxima wept, Letizia wept, Mathilde wept, Victoria wpt. This seems to be the thing. Diana didn't weep. She should ahve and knew that at the time.

To me, with regards to the wedding, the body language said it all. Charlene was very weepy, and all rumours aside, to me they didn't look like a "couple". Her head was down, her face and eyes were very sad, didn't light up when she smiled :sad:. After the vows, and he sent her a "kiss" I thought he was being rather cocky myself. It certainly was a lavish wedding, with no expense spared, but, as the saying goes, money can't buy happiness. I wish Charlene much luck for her future.

But where did you observe Charlene being "weepy", apart from those few moments at St. Devote?

She was actually laughing and giggling while putting the ring on his finger, and after the exchange of vows they held hands for a few moments...doesn't that body language count as well? :sad:

I think people have homed in on the Sainte Dévote moment.

Why? I think it's because CW showed a bit of humanity. More than PA managed.

:ausflag:I am a monarchist in Australia; the British Royal Family is My Royal Family - I am interested in them, (My Husband & Sons are not - but that's okay - I get to watch in peace lol!!).
I watched the Royal Wedding with great interest and felt a part of something special; this is History in the making!
I have also enjoyed watching Royal Families of other countries and as Prince Rainier was one of my favourites I am interested so watch Albert & Charlene.
Of course there are differences, differenct people of different ages and stages of life living in different countries.
IMO the grandeur of a Royal wedding is a wonderful spectacle, and have to admit I would watch every Royal wedding if it was televised here in Aus.
Long live the Royal Houses of all the nations, so that we - The Royal Watchers - can enjoy them forever!!!:flowers:

I'll give it 20 or 30 years, and there won't be a monarchy left - except, perhaps, the BRF.

I'll give it 20 or 30 years, and there won't be a monarchy left - except, perhaps, the BRF.

:previous::sad: That's sad - I hope it's not so!!!!
Mary of Denmark (Aussie) has done a great job in producing 4 heirs - I hope we one day see them grow up to be King & Dukes & Duchesses!!

:p Wouldn't Greece, Italy & Russia (to name a few) be more fun for tourism if they still had their Royal Families???

:flowers: I hope, on this occasion, you are wrong xoxos

I also hope that I'm wrong - but the writing is on the wall, as they say.

I also hope that I'm wrong - but the writing is on the wall, as they say.
:previous::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:
Okay ... Here's a challenge for ALL ROYAL WATCHERS!! ....
If we continue to love & enjoy all the Royals --- it will be harder for them to be seen as irrelevent!!!
...We can continue to write to & about them, turn out in numbers to see them at events & celebrate them.
Lets keep them all !!!
love to all the Royal fans around the world!!!!
xoxos

I can't tell if she was "sad" to be marrying him or,she was uncomfortable with millions of people watching.

I hope she was not "sad",as a lot of people were calling it.

I totally agree, Moonmaiden. The ceremony I watched was altogether dignified and solemn -- the way it should be -- with more than enough beautiful (subtle) moments. It was neither the time nor the place for anything else. PA seemed somewhat nervous, which is quite understandable, but his bride was impeccable, IMO.
I think Charlene looked beautiful and very nervous. Surprisingly so did Albert. I didn't expect that as he has been on the public stage for decades. But there he was, like thousands of men before him (and not a few recently married Crown Princes) nervous! And it showed!

And the way some media is portraying it now is just ridiculous. [The Guardian: "Monaco's implausibly named Princess Charlene weeping through her wedding..."] I mean, really! It appears they just saw a picture (from the Church of St. Devote), instead of forming an objective opinion from watching the whole ceremony.
Implausibly named? Wasn't that the name her parents gave her when she was baptised? I thought she held it together pretty well throughout the very public ceremony and was allowed a few tears at the Church of St. Devote. It was a semi-private and very emotional moment and they were serenaded with a very beatiful song. I nearly cried it was so lovely.

Albert, being a man of his time, looked like he didn't know whether to hug her or hand her a handkerchief. That didn't mean he doesn't love her, just that he is unused to public displays of emotion. Give him time and he'll adjust to a slightly more demonstrative wife.

In some people's eyes this couple will never get anything right. As far as I am concerned, they're a great match, and their wedding was both a moving affair and spectacular occasion I will remember for a long time.
You are absolutely right. People and especially the continental press seem to delight in spreading pure bile about both Albert and poor Charlene who has done nothing but get married and look great doing it! I guess that's enough to get the knives out . . . . .

I find Monaco hard to fathom. The royal family seem to have their issues, the people have theirs, the press exploit both and when they run out of headlines? Well I guess they make them up.

I read somewhere that King Juan Carlos did end up going to the wedding. Maybe the President of Spain's wife got kicked off the plane.

I think the "implausible" name must have been due to the Charlene in the Australian soap "Neighbours".

Juan Carlos was not at the wedding, nor were any memebrs of his family.

I suspect that was because of the "austerity" budget of the people of Spain. It would have looked bad if they had turned up to the wedding. In addition, the King was ill.

Probably but there were suggestions that the reason was the invitation addressed to HRH the Duke of Anjou, a title and claim that JC does not recognize.

Stephane Bern at the wedding exhibition with the good news (at last ) of an official souvenir book to commemorate the wedding and the exhibition of photos at the Oceanographic museum

Nice Matin

I'm going on holiday to Monaco next week.
I will go to the bookstore and see what I can find about them.
If there is something interesting I'll let you know
:monacoflag:

Back
Top Bottom