The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Heir Apparent

The wedding Mass was solemn and majestic, but I have to admit I was jolted when that Xhosa singer began the "Click Song"...it was like getting cold water thrown on you! It felt out of place somehow, with the singer grinning and swaying her hips in the middle of what had been a very reverent and traditional Catholic Mass...I think it would have been more appropriate to have her sing that at the reception. But it obviously delighted the Wittstock family, they all lit up like Christmas trees.

BTW....the look on Charlotte Casiraghi's face when the Click Chant began was PRICELESS....!!

Old 07-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Aristocracy

Indeed, a traditional African wedding song and a religious Catholic service are two worlds apart. Even in South Africa, the Click Song is never ever performed as part of the religious ceremony, but at the reception afterwards. Also, the Afrikaans blessing at the beginning of the ceremony seemed out of place, considering that Charlene is not a native speaker (she was educated in and her home language is English). Nevertheless, these and other touches like the SA colors so prominently displayed everywhere signified a very historical union between Europe and Africa. And PA is very much aware of this significance.

Speaking of Africa... I was disappointed that the Royal families of Southern Africa were not better represented. Like King Mswati III of Swaziland, Zulu King Goodwill Zwelethini... Imagine if the Rain Queen, Modjadji VI had turned up -- they could have squeezed her in right next to Charlotte... lol I read somewhere that King Letsie III of Lesotho confirmed his attendance, but I didn't see him. As for the rest of Africa's royalty, at least the Moroccan Royal family was well represented...

Old 07-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
As an American, the UK does tend to be a little snotty when it comes to other royal houses. Like they can't bear that there isn't the richest, oldest, grandest, most powerful etc.
Monaco is tiny but it sure as heck is rich so Prince "can't keep his pants on" and his predecessors must know what they are doing. And people who live in the UK with their royal house of constant divorces, scandals, tell all's, and tampon conversations, really shouldn't be throwing stones at Monaco. I personally think both royal houses need to learn some decorum and class, but I live in a country were one of its greatest presidents famous lines is "I did not have sexual relations with that woman".

I'm going to get killed for this. But I think the building where Charlene and Albert got married was prettier than WnKs. I know one was a palace and the other was an abbey, I just like the structure of CnA's a lot. That might just be nostalgia though.
I am loving this post....I am laughing my head off and agreeing with every word!!

Victoria'sSecret, I am very surprised that Archbishop Barsi allowed that Click Chant to be incorporated into the Mass. Perhaps Charlene insisted on it. But I definitely think in this case she should have been overruled by the clergy...it came off bizarre and even a little embarrassing when you saw confused faces of many of the guests.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
You think they were trying to 'sell'? And a fairy tale? I've never gotten that and I very much did not see that. (I am seeing that with the British couple, but not here). They were who they were and nothing was masked. I was impressed. All in all it felt like a royal wedding - more impressive than the British wedding, probably because with this one so much was seen and it lasted over days.
Obviously your opinion fueled by your envious bias against the British Royal family IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I am loving this post....I am laughing my head off and agreeing with every word!!
I am laughing my head off too at the venom associated with reflections of a princely wedding!!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSSEAN View Post
Obviously your opinion fueled by your envious bias against the British Royal family IMO.
What is my opinion? I am making an observation shared by others - that the British wedding was not a state occasion - and it showed. It did not feel grand, it did not feel royal. However, I stand by what I have said about it - loved the trees in the Abbey, loved her dress, loved her beauty, it all felt bright and cheery and amiable - but it was not a grand wedding - not like Albert's and Charlene's wedding which was a state occasion of the marriage of a sovereign. That is not 'envious bias' - that is an observation. Why the negative characterization?

BTW, just for the record, I am not - and never have been - 'against' the British Royal family. I am a fan of the Queen and her hubbie, have always respected Princess Anne, love the Wessex's, and have a great admiration for Prince Charles and Camilla. Just for the record.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am disgusted with some comments. You can merge to different thoughts without "jolting". Everyone has their right to be recognized. Albert is a poor speaker and shy. Very nervous. When Charlene kissed his hand at his toast, which was at best, pedestrain, I knew she cared. Kate and William had a great wedding, too. They are sweet and young and I think will have a nice life together. On the other hand, his father, Prince Charles was a philanderer and married his mistress, who now is part of the RF. So, you can condemn Albert for his misalliences, but Charles is not better, just smarter.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=LOSSEAN;1281628]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

I am laughing my head off too at the venom associated with reflections of a princely wedding!!

I understand, but there is no venom...at least from me. I love the Grimaldis, they are scandalous, tragic, sleazy, elegant and devout all at once..you can't make this stuff up...it's too over the top!

Not to mention that they are physically the most beautiful Royal/Aristos in the world, imo...no one can touch them.

Rock, on Monaco!

BTW COUNTESS...I bow down to you once again, especially regarding Prince Charles vs Prince Albert.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles is no more of a philanderer than Albert is, actually he might be more of one. Charles loved Camilla for years before he met Diana and unfortunately he continued to love her after he was married. He did not go around impregnating everybody with a uterus and a set of ovaries like Albert did.

As for the cake, I know it is getting a lot of hate, it was quite ugly, but it looked really good.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Sticky business when transcending the moral highground

It's their business and they'll work through it the best way they know how, whatever the outcome.

Quote:
But I think the building where Charlene and Albert got married was prettier than WnKs. I know one was a palace and the other was an abbey, I just like the structure of CnA's a lot.
I agree. I mentioned earlier in this thread, or another, that this wedding was my favourite of any dynastic wedding and it really was. As beautiful as Westminster Abbey was on the inside, I was rather bored while watching it (if one is to reflect), and it wasn't anything to do with the couple or that particular family it was just, well, dull. Perhaps not what I was expecting though to be fair I'm not really sure what I was expecting from that occasion.

I was captured by the Monaco wedding the entire time and I admit I find Catholic nuptials to be abundantly rich in ceremony, moreso than Protestant weddings and that's coming from someone who is themselves Protestant and very happy to be so I might add.

Perhaps it was because it was a State occasion? The ambience in Monaco seemed electric and I've always found there to be something quite romantic about the principality. Perhaps it's exotic location has something to do with it.

The courtyard of the Prince's Palace was the perfect setting for the religious ceremony. So grand, yet at the same time there was a real sense of intimacy to it I thought.

I loved the length of the train and veil. Fabulous. And the sheer quality of the bridal veil was very pretty and suited Charlene.

And I love love LOVE the white naval uniforms with decorations and gold aiguillettes. No Prince has ever looked so fine, imo.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Aristocracy

What a beautiful ceremony! I'm behind the times as I could not watch the wedding until tonight and I was just stunned by how gorgeous and regal the ceremony was.
I don't know what others are discussing, but I saw a beautiful bride, who to me, looked very much in love, as did Prince Albert.
Congratulations to Prince Albert and Princess Charlene: May they know happiness and joy!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Heir Apparent

One of the things I loved about the wedding was how all the foreign Royals and dignitaries were handled...each one as if they were the most important guest.

Doormen outside the Hotel de Paris bowed low before each one as they were leaving for the Mass, while another doffed his cap, bowed and opened the car door for them...then when they reached the Place du Palais carabinieri saluted them.

This happened to each dignitary and Royal guest, no exception...and I was thinking to myself...now this is the way you treat your Royal guests when they honor you by coming to your wedding. Albert seemed to make a point of being the most gracious of hosts.

One thing was curious...as a Catholic Head of State, Albert was entitled to receive a special blessing from Pope Benedict XVI at the Nuptial Mass, but I don't remember hearing it read.

Almost every Catholic Royal wedding features this, and I wonder what happened....???
Old 07-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
What is my opinion? I am making an observation shared by others - that the British wedding was not a state occasion - and it showed. It did not feel grand, it did not feel royal. However, I stand by what I have said about it - loved the trees in the Abbey, loved her dress, loved her beauty, it all felt bright and cheery and amiable - but it was not a grand wedding - not like Albert's and Charlene's wedding which was a state occasion of the marriage of a sovereign. That is not 'envious bias' - that is an observation. Why the negative characterization?

BTW, just for the record, I am not - and never have been - 'against' the British Royal family. I am a fan of the Queen and her hubbie, have always respected Princess Anne, love the Wessex's, and have a great admiration for Prince Charles and Camilla. Just for the record.
I agree with you completely. There was far more of a princely atmosphere at the Monaco wedding than at William and Kate's. William and Kate had a GORGEOUS wedding, but it did not feel anything like those of William's parents or even Andrew and Fergie. I understand it was not a state occasion, but neither was Andrew's and that wedding still had a very royal feeling to it. The word "grand" that you used is perfect to describe what was "missing" to some people, myself included. It almost seemed incidental to the whole affair that the marriage was that of a future King.

I was shocked (pleasantly) at how beautiful and regal the Monaco wedding (the religious service) turned out to be. It was just stunning. Charlene's gown was monumentally beautiful and original while still having a traditional air about it. I put it in the top two of all the royal brides' gowns I've ever seen in my lifetime. The Monegasques really pulled off a magical day.

I think this marriage will last; Charlene seemed to take the ceremony so seriously and her tears at St. Devote showed how much emotion was flowing underneath her calm, placid demeanour. Still waters run deep and Albert and Charlene had enough little touching moments to reveal their love, IMO.

I never realised just exactly how amazingly beautiful Charlene is until this past weekend. I think Albert realises what a gem he found, pardon the pun!

Beautiful wedding; beautiful bride; beautiful dress; beautiful day! What more can one ask for? We all hope they'll live happily ever after, but since this is not a fairy tale, I wish them all the love and luck in the world.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:53 AM
Courtier

Now that's it all over I would like to add my thoughts as well:

Ah, where to start, that is the question. :)

I think I will start with the love I saw shining throughout in Princess Charlene's eyes, most notably captured in this clip ~ Le Mariage de Monaco (officiel) - Monaco Wedding (official) | Facebook ~ she just stares at him the way Katia Gordeeva used to stare at her late husband Sergei Grinkov all the time, not just while on the ice. In fact, I think this is what I will remember the most, the way Charlene stares at Albert, be it during the fireworks, at the Gala Opera dinner, when they took their first dance as husband & wife, or most especially after she laid down her bouquet at the tiny chapel church and kissed Albert outside.

Other special moments, there were so many, it's hard to choose, I will just type them as they come:

Albert pointing out & greeting one of the Special Olympics participants at the St. Devota Church, and this putting a huge smile on Charlene's face, as she did the same.

***Note: it seemed to relax her, put her at ease, reminiscent of the time Princess Diana had just gotten married, and while on one of her many visits, I recall everybody was speculating whether or not she was pregnant, and the only one to ask her directly was this little developmentally disabled girl, who touched her stomach and said "baby". And Diana laughed out loud, she was delighted, but of course remained mum on the issue.*** :)

During the religious service, at one point the Archbishop remarked early on about marriage and fertility, and I'll never forget Charlene & Albert slightly turning to each other at that moment and shyly smiling (this makes me think they'll have a baby as soon as possible). :)

Seeing the whole family together, with Princess Caroline & Princess Stephanie sitting in the first row (beside best man Chris Levine), then Charlotte, Andrea, Camille, and Alexandra in the next, finally Prince Christian, Prince Ernst-August Jr., Pierre, and Pauline rounding out the family. And looooved how they were all colored coordinated to fit the occasion & especially each other. :)

President Sarkozy entering like Napoleon, and immediately greeting Princess Caroline & Princess Stephanie, which bemused me because both women appeared a bit flustered/honored, as did everyone else around them, judging by the way all their eyes followed him.

***Note: at first I didn't know why Andrea was the only one standing throughout when Sarkozy entered, then I recalled Andrea is working at the Embassy of Qatar in Paris, France, and also he's very politically-minded, having majored in political science, which makes me think he is being groomed for a major political position in the future, mayhap even the President of France one day. I honestly wouldn't be surprised.***

Charlotte, Pauline, Camille, Alexandra, and two other little girls (think they are the children of the matron of honor, Donatella Knecht de Massy, as I saw her with them) reading from the Bible, very touching, and beautiful. Nice touch, as well as having Camille & Alexandra presenting the wedding rings.

Princess Alexandra de Hannover's gorgeous smile throughout, including the civil ceremony.

Hmmm, what else, there were so many, but alas my well has run dry. Thus I will add to the list as it comes to me in the future. :)

Until then:

"LONG LIVE MONACO! LONG LIVE THE GRIMALDI FAMILY!"
Old 07-06-2011, 03:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
two other little girls (think they are the children of the matron of honor, Donatella Knecht de Massy, as I saw her with them)
There were Christine and Alexia Knecht.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

It appears that some people are making comparisons between the Monegasque royal wedding and the British one. Naturally many comparisons can be made, right down to the last detail and I myself compare certain elements of Albert and Charlene's wedding more favourably to William and Catherine's. Yet I do not think it necessarily fair to suggest that one was better than the other - the reality is tha they were totally different events and not least of all because one was the wedding of the sovereign and the other the wedding of the second in line to the throne. Comparisons should be made between ALL the recent royal weddings if indeed comparisons are needed.
One thing I will say is that with Albert and Charlene's wedding, there was so much more to see from the ceremony itself to the reception and firework display. Unfortunately, we were all rather cut off from William and Kate's wedding as soon as they arrived at Buckingham Palace.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:50 AM
Heir Apparent

I can't and don't care to speak on anyone elses behalf but for me, it's not about comparing them per say, but if you liked the Monegasque wedding more than say the Cambridge wedding, then that's just the way it is. And vice versa.

Quote:
Comparisons should be made between ALL the recent royal weddings if indeed comparisons are needed.
I've never seen Haakon and Mette-Marit's wedding, so can't comment.

Willem-Alexander and Maxima's wedding was if I recall rightly, rather visibly emotional for those present. I can't remember all that much of it as it's been some time since they wed.

Frederik and Mary's wedding was a wonderful display of Danish pride. A really lovely wedding to watch with a reasonable amount of coverage.

Victoria and Daniel's wedding was a spectacular event with coverage that lasted a good 7 or so hours. The Swedish, imo, understand the importance of being transparent where it counts most.

Filipe and Letizia's wedding was a grand ceremony in an awe inspiring setting, though that too became a little tiresome I found.

Louis and Tessy' wedding I didn't see and I don't even know if it was televised in Luxembourg, but I doubt I'd have cared to watch it even if it had been.

William and Catherine's wedding was pleasant to watch, but rather boring. I was more interested in who was wearing what and the floral décor of the Abbey.

Albert and Charlene's wedding had a real atmosphere about it which transcended through my live feed. I was gripped by the occasion.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

All-or most-Royal weddings are simply beautiful and memorable.

William and Kate had hundreds of years of pageantry and tradition(RAF flyover, Westminster Abby, ceremonial route)

Albert and Charlene had glamour and elegance to spare

Victoria and Daniel were probably best at incorporating romance and grandeur on a huge scale.

I enjoyed each wedding, for different reasons.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Aristocracy

what i really liked about the wedding was the royals that i like: the danish, dutch, norwegians and sweedish.

andrea bocelli's performance was spectacular.

the wedding was beautiful, but albert and charlene made me feel the same thing felipe and letizia made me feel on their day: a total emptiness. no emotions(and when charlene showed some emotion, albert looked at her very angry, "don't cry!"). IMO, she loves him, but for him, she's just the "baby machine" that will help him to get andrea out of the throne's path.

sorry, that' s what i see and think. i only feel sad for her, because she really loves him.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Let's keep Charles and Diana's marriage out of this thread.

Thanks!

Zonk

Monaco Forums Moderator

Old 07-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm getting a little tired of the ongoing comparisons between the two couples.
Once Zara and Mike have done their bit, will there be three-way comparisons ?

And my reflections .....the experience is already receding, I'm afraid.

But - to break the resolution of a lifetime - I went into a shop and bought Hello Magazine - the one with all the weddings in it.

I wonder whether there will be lots of coverage of Zara's "do", and whether the magazine will go over the top.

But that's for the Zara & Mike Wedding thread....