The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Administrator

As Iceflower requested, let's focus on the ACTUAL wedding.

If you would like to discuss the "other events" please do so here, http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...e-31355-3.html

It doesn't look like this is going away anytime soon, so while there is plenty of time to discuss this....it doesn't need to be discussed in every Monaco thread.

Zonk
Monaco Forums Moderator

Old 07-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Royal Highness

I thought it was a beautifully staged event - not at all tacky as some had feared. The ceremony with its wonderful music made sure it was a serious occasion which perhaps partly explains why both Charlene & Albert seemed ill at ease & reluctant to share intimacies. However, Charlene's frequent faraway gazes did worry me. At what pont did the enormity of what she has taken on really dawn on her? As for her dress I personally found it one of the most beautiful I have seen & I loved the cream/white colours reflected in the uniforms/ the clergy/ flowers etc. I thought the participation of the younger family members was a brilliant touch.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Aristocracy

Elly C, I fully concur with your comments. I would even add the word 'memorable'. I am so proud of Charlene for being so gracious throughout it all, and she looked utterly exquisite. Her deep concentration during the religious ceremony made her seem distant and contemplative even, so it was really beautiful to finally see her show some emotion at the Church of St. Devotee. It was a beautiful wedding overall, and she is going to be a worthy Princess de Monaco. I wish the couple all the happiness in the world.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

The wedding was exactly as I expected it to be - vulgar. They seemed to think that by spending lots of money, wearing expensive designer clothes, inviting washed up rock stars and celebrities would make people marvel at how classy and chic they are. In fact it does the exact opposite. But then again given that Monaco is in decline and its history as, to quote a commentator at the Daily Telegraph yesterday, 'the moral gutter of Europe', we shouldn't expect anything less.

(..) Just goes to show that all the money in the world does not buy you class.

Will and Kate's wedding was wonderful, but I got the feeling that they would have been happier with a small, private family wedding. With the Monaco wedding they just seemed determined to use it as a way of showing off, a respected French magazine I read yesterday derided it as 'bling bling'. However, their attempts to impress completely failed given the humiliation of the bride not just yesterday but all week.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Nobility

Yes,because the BRF is exactly the paradigm of virtues *eyeroll*

These 'so called' UK journalist should be airing the dirty laundry of their own royal family instead of preaching and calling out who are the saints and the sinners and yes,I'm also also calling out the media of own country, Spain,who love to marvel at the misfortune of other royal families without airing the shenanigans of our 'very dear King'.Shame!
Old 07-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Aristocracy

It started with a solemn ceremony, then it turned into a tacky affair and culminated with the glamour one would expect from a royal wedding.

A solemn and glamorous wedding powered by Lexus | Royal Insight
Old 07-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Heir Apparent

The wedding turned out to a well-planned event. It was great to see the whole Belgian Royal family and others to attend the event.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt View Post
Yes,because the BRF is exactly the paradigm of virtues *eyeroll*
Please point to the exact spot in my post where I made this claim? Please don't insult me by making out that I said things which I clearly did not.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Please point to the exact spot in my post where I made this claim? Please don't insult me by making out that I said things which I clearly did not.
I am not insulting you..I am talking about some european articles(particularly the UK ones) and all their snidy remarks about the wedding and towards the Grimaldi family. You are entitled to your own opinion and I by no means trying to personally insult you.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Nobility

I was VERY dissapionted of the wedding speach by HSH Prince Albert. Who the h...was he talking to??? UN Assembly. His new wife must have felt so warm and loved. NOT
Old 07-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by olebabs
I was VERY dissapionted of the wedding speach by HSH Prince Albert. Who the h...was he talking to??? UN Assembly. His new wife must have felt so warm and loved. NOT
I totally agree. He should have hired Crown Prince Frederik as his ghost writer. No warmth ... Brr!
Old 07-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
You think they were trying to 'sell'? And a fairy tale?
Maybe not a fairy tale but a love match that at least I dont buy. But the wedding had class and wasnt tacky at all, Monaco is a state that honors its state religion what came across very seriously.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Courtier

It surprised me that it wasn´t tacky. But thanks to the people who organized this. I don´t think Albert has something to do with it, besides the money of course

Old 07-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Thw whole of Monaco seemed to support this "event" - from the clergy, right down to the last Monegasque child.

Okay, so there were many commercial deals - the champagne, the china, the carpet, the car.

But even Monaco has to get its income from somewhere.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I totally agree. He should have hired Crown Prince Frederik as his ghost writer. No warmth ... Brr!
Or Prince Daniel; loved his wedding speech.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I didn't get to actually watch the entire wedding but from the short snippets I saw I thought the wedding was lovely. I'm very very pleased the members of old line royal houses came out in force in support. No royal house is without scandal so I refuse to judge too harshly. I attribute the attendance of Europe's "classier" houses to Prince Albert seems to have made an effort over the years to befriend all royal houses and in think that effort is being rewarded.

I also really like Princess Charlene's dresses. I thought she looked fantastic and her jewels were surprising and lovely. Somehow I was more impressed with her dress choices than I was with Catherine's (but I'm not sure why).

The scandal was a distraction that sadly soured some of the meaning of the ceremony...and I wished I could see Princess Stephanie in a tiara.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

It seems to me that Stéphanie sees herself as a member of the Grimaldi family. However, she also seems to see herself and her children as one family unit.

Over the two or three days, there seemed to be some discord between Caroline's family members and those of Stéphanie's.

I'm not sure whether PA knows about this, or whether he has the time and energy to devote himself to this.

It would be very sad if the sisters and their children were to break up, especially after such a momentous and unique occasion as The Wedding.

So it's unlikely that Steph would dust off her tiara...
Old 07-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Serene Highness

EIIR, did we watch the same wedding? I thought it was very classy and very thoughtful of the locals. As for the UK press, I have found it to be very biased and sometimes downright catty against other royal houses. Maybe some jealousy that this tiny little country can get the publicity that it does. Monaco is not in decline. They have the highest standard of living per capita in the world. And unlike the UK or USA, they actually have a national surplus! They have done this with no personal income nor capital gains tax since 1861! Monaco is as close to utopia as it gets.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

My least favorite moment would be when Albert pulled away from the kiss so fast. Maybe he's shy about kissing in public but he left Charlene lingering for more IMO.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
My least favorite moment would be when Albert pulled away from the kiss so fast. Maybe he's shy about kissing in public but he left Charlene lingering for more IMO.
He didnt only pull away so fast but didnt look at Charlene during the kiss (his eyes were open) or afterwards, while she was gazing at him.