The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Serene Highness

I don't see any way that PA would be married in a foreign country. He has all the control in case of divorce if he is married in Monaco only.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Administrator

If I am correct, the intention is to have an event (maybe just a reception) for those people in Charlene's life who live in South Africa who for whatever reason (i.e. money, work, the fact that is not a normal wedding and you have over 2000 plus guests and you could still invite more) can't come to the actual wedding.

In the States, its somewhat common for people who marry (i.e. destination weddings or those who are from different states that are somewhat far or the family member is older and traveling is a problem)....you might have a smaller get together (just a reception/party) for those who couldn't attend the actual wedding.

Maybe that is what is meant by doing something in South Africa. Not an actual wedding per se. Just an event that for the South African contingent to celebrate the marriage.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:51 AM
Royal Highness

I agree with you Zonk, it is what I wanted to exprim. Why begin a disscussion about an another wedding in South Africa,it's a rumor which came where we don't know, they are going in Durban for theIOC comettee, it will be the native land of Charlene, she has friends, family.An article talk about the south Africa wines which will be served at the wedding diner at monaco and at a private diner in South Africa.the couple will have diner with members of ioc comitee, mutual friends or members of the family they will be pleased to see and have a dinner at the beginning of a new life. It will be a privat diner that is all.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
If I am correct, the intention is to have an event (maybe just a reception) for those people in Charlene's life who live in South Africa who for whatever reason (i.e. money, work, the fact that is not a normal wedding and you have over 2000 plus guests and you could still invite more) can't come to the actual wedding.

In the States, its somewhat common for people who marry (i.e. destination weddings or those who are from different states that are somewhat far or the family member is older and traveling is a problem)....you might have a smaller get together (just a reception/party) for those who couldn't attend the actual wedding.

Maybe that is what is meant by doing something in South Africa. Not an actual wedding per se. Just an event that for the South African contingent to celebrate the marriage.

I think you are correct. Also I just thought of something. CW is known to be very fond of Nelson Mandela...she is said to idolize him.

But he is well into his 90's now, frail and in failing health so I doubt very much he will be making the trip to Monaco for the wedding.

Perhaps this side trip to South Africa will also give the former President an opportunity to congratulate his compatriot and to share somewhat in the nuptial festivities?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Serene Highness

I cannot figure out why Mandela would be interested in attending this wedding, or whatever this is.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
I cannot figure out why Mandela would be interested in attending this wedding, or whatever this is.
Yes, me neither.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps because he and CW are friends and natives of the same country?

And as I pointed out CW is a great admirer of his, as are the entire Grimaldi family.

But I definitely do not think he will attend. He is too frail these days.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
Yes, me neither.
Charlene has milked the Mandela connection long enough. Is there anything else.. NO.
She is now marrying a right wing Prince with millions.
Once this happens she will be the wife of a Prince and Mandela is progressive and not of a feudal mentality. Many of the Princesses that married into the European houses happened to know many left wing individuals before their marriages- take Letizia- and after sort of drifted away. For all the discipline Charlene put into her Olympic training she has hardly applied herself here to the position she is about to enter. Had she applied herself with the identical focus and discipline of that marathon called the Olympics her French would have been learned; the certainty of conversion bagged;and her popularity in Monaco soaring. There would have been tangible results to speak and write about.The only reason to return to the broken record called Mandela is because there isn't anything else.
Grace had friends in America- plenty- she invited all to join from Frank Sinatra; Ava Gardner who was there to Gloria Swanson who was covering for a magazine.- those who could- did and those who could not did not and saw Grace another time.
Strabucks for Monaco indeed.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Playing the devil's advocate....

But didn't Nelson Mandela attend another royal wedding in the past or am I thinking of another event.

And Finally, I realize that people don't think much of Charlene...but whose to say that Nelson Mandela's presence has anything to do with her? I would imagine he has met Prince Albert in the past? And perhaps Prince Albert would like his attendance at his wedding but because of his health, that is not possible? And just because she is a swimmer, or a South African...she can't respect Mr. Mandela? So we know what her inner most thoughts are now?

Old 03-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Playing the devil's advocate....

But didn't Nelson Mandela attend another royal wedding in the past or am I thinking of another event.

And Finally, I realize that people don't think much of Charlene...but whose to say that Nelson Mandela's presence has anything to do with her? I would imagine he has met Prince Albert in the past? And perhaps Prince Albert would like his attendance at his wedding but because of his health, that is not possible? And just because she is a swimmer, or a South African...she can't respect Mr. Mandela? So we know what her inner most thoughts are now?
Nelson Mandela was a guest at Letizia and Felipe's wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Perhaps because he and CW are friends and natives of the same country?

And as I pointed out CW is a great admirer of his, as are the entire Grimaldi family.

But I definitely do not think he will attend. He is too frail these days.
Technically she is a native of Zimbabwe, known as Rhodesia at the time. But she holds South African citizenship and represented them in the Olympics now.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
Nelson Mandela was a guest at Letizia and Felipe's wedding.
And also at Willem-Alexander and Máxima's.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 03-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

WOW! What a waste of energy pouring vitriol toward Charlene. Does anyone really think she would give a rat's patootie about what "we" think she has done, hasn't done, will do or won't do. She's laughing all the way to the palace! Y'all make me giggle.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Serene Highness

The Grimaldis know Nelson Mandela. He has been a guest in Monaco. I think they even helped him raise money for his foundation. I think of them more as moderate than conservative. They are financially conservative but are also involved in many liberal social causes such as ecology, helping the poor and Aids. A S. African being involved with Mandela causes is just common sense.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ok. So Mandela is a possible/potential guest to the wedding. I got that.

Anyone knows, if Charlene will wear a tiara? I think Grace wore it during the reception, but not during the wedding. Maybe Charlene will do the same? And if she does, which tiara could she possible use?
Old 03-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Courtier

I hope she will.
I'm hoping for the diamond and pearl tiara of Princess Charlotte, Caroline has also worn it.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Aristocracy

The only thing is if CW wears a tiara, and high heels of some sort she will tower over Prince Albert!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Charlene has milked the Mandela connection long enough. Is there anything else.. NO.
She is now marrying a right wing Prince with millions.
Once this happens she will be the wife of a Prince and Mandela is progressive and not of a feudal mentality. Many of the Princesses that married into the European houses happened to know many left wing individuals before their marriages- take Letizia- and after sort of drifted away. For all the discipline Charlene put into her Olympic training she has hardly applied herself here to the position she is about to enter. Had she applied herself with the identical focus and discipline of that marathon called the Olympics her French would have been learned; the certainty of conversion bagged;and her popularity in Monaco soaring. There would have been tangible results to speak and write about.The only reason to return to the broken record called Mandela is because there isn't anything else.
Grace had friends in America- plenty- she invited all to join from Frank Sinatra; Ava Gardner who was there to Gloria Swanson who was covering for a magazine.- those who could- did and those who could not did not and saw Grace another time.
Strabucks for Monaco indeed.
Are we talking about Prince Albert II of Monaco?! There is very little about him that is right wing...his championing of environmental issues is not exactly a cause celebre of the right.

Princess Stephanie has stated publically that she admires Mandela more than any other living person and would give him the Nobel Prize year after year if it was up to her(Paris Vogue Dec/Jan 09)

Princess Caroline has paid tribute to him both in South Africa and in Monaco.

I think Rainier and Grace were rather conservative, their children not so much.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:09 PM

Charlene will be a Princess of Monaco at her religious mass when the majority of people will be in attendance. The day before, she will be married in a civil ceremony, thus is she will be a Princess of Monaco at that point. She hopefully will wear a tiara, as Grace did, for the same reason.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Heir Apparent

But I thought Grace did NOT wear a tiara to her Nuptial Mass?

She wore one to the ball that followed the civil ceremony the evening before the Mass, but her bridal attire did not include a tiara from the pictures I saw.

Her veil was comprised of a juliet cap, and it is rather awkward wearing a tiara with that sort of headpiece.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
But I thought Grace did NOT wear a tiara to her Nuptial Mass?

She wore one to the ball that followed the civil ceremony the evening before the Mass, but her bridal attire did not include a tiara from the pictures I saw.

Her veil was comprised of a juliet cap, and it is rather awkward wearing a tiara with that sort of headpiece.

You are right. She did not wear a tiara during the wedding ceremony and the luncheon/reception after. She did not change her attire for the luncheon. She wore a tiara to the ballet the eve of the wedding, and it was the tiara composed of the three detachable pins with rubies. Plus her enormous but tasteful diamond necklace.

I wonder if those jewels will pass down to Charlene. I think that the jewels that Grace mostly wore were not state jewels that should be passed down from the Princess Consort to her successor but personal gifts of Prince Rainier to her.

Grace it seemed did not "inherit" Royal Jewels as she was never photographed with jewelry that were from Princess Charlotte, such as the pearl and diamond tiara, the fringe diamond necklace (that can be worn as the tiara too) and the diamond and sapphire parure. Princess Caroline has worn these items a lot though, so it seems she got them directly and not Grace.

I wonder though what Princess Antoinette inherited from her mother?

The challenge for Albert then is to provide his Princess with a formidable collection. Although Charlene seems to be a minimalist when it comes to jewelry and accessories, she needs an impressive tiara that will not look pathetic next to the jewelry worn by the other princesses. After all, Albert is one of the wealthiest royals.