The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-06-2011, 05:14 AM
Courtier

Love this video in the Palace of the Princess trying on her jewellery.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
The train wasn't gone, it was still there but the bridesmaid did a horrible job and never put the train good so that it would be open and wide behind the bride... I also think the fabric of the dress and the fabric of the carpet didn't work good together.
The train from her back collar was removed at some point because you can see in a comparison with this picture before the ceremony Photo from Reuters Pictures and this picture after the ceremony Photo from Reuters Pictures.

I bet she was glad to have that big train removed. That looked heavy!

Old 07-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was very wise of Charlene to avoid wearing anything similar to Pr. Grace's wedding dress. I thouhgt her dress was magnificant and had enough details on it to make it original and special. Armani did a good job!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
The train wasn't gone, it was still there but the bridesmaid did a horrible job and never put the train good so that it would be open and wide behind the bride... I also think the fabric of the dress and the fabric of the carpet didn't work good together.

In the beginning of the ceremony you also see that witness Donatella wants to arrange the shorter train (bottom of the dress) behind Charlene but that the bridesmaid allready put down the longer train (emerging from the shoulder part). I think that's the reason the 2 trains looked so oddly arranged.

The veil was lifted by Charlene herself when giving peace (kissing Albert). Normally it's done after they exchange rings, but I suppose they forgot.
I could be very wrong, but after reviewing the video of the bridesmaids rearranging Charlene's trains at the end of the procession to the altar, I believe they kept them separate deliberately, so that the embroidery could be seen and catch the light on the diamonds. However, Charlene certainly could have used some more help from them before the recessional; it looked like she had to give a big "pull" from her shoulders to manoeuvre them into place. Again, I have to say I just loved the effect given by the double trains and it made the dress uniquely Charlene's; the worst thing she could have done would have been to emulate Princess Grace - very few ladies possess the extraordinary beauty of that much missed Princess of Monaco, although Charlene is certainly a gorgeous and elegant woman. (Still don't know what she was thinking with the "outfit" for the civil ceremony and the events that evening; it was neither a suit, nor a gown - and it had too many lingerie type elements that just added to the confusion, although the colour was lovely and suited her. But it was just too many competing "looks" that cancelled each other out, IMHO.)

But like others posting, I love her religious ceremony gown more every time I see it; and I had an extremely high opinion of the whole ensemble from first glance. I just adore her natural, simple use of cosmetics (no panda eyes a la Duchess of Cambridge ) and I think Charlene's use of Princess Caroline's brooches in her chignon to anchor her veil was original, superb, and elegant. MUCH more interesting than the usual tiara, but every bit as regal.

Unlike others, I don't particularly care for her second dress for the night festivities after the religious ceremony; I thought that neckline DID over-emphasise her broad shoulders and muscular upper arms and I agree it was the perfect opportunity to wear that amazing tiara that I am dying to see!

Does anyone have a link to a photograph of Charlene's new tiara? It sounds incredible, and I would be most grateful for any help in this regard.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Thank you for that photo. It really shows the jewelling of the Princess' gown. It is really beautiful ...such teeny-tiny application.

Because of her demeanor and reverence at her wedding, she will remember every moment of their religious ceremony. It is a solmn event. They can "let loose" later at the party. A wedding ceremony is not a party.
I do not agree. A wedding is a joyous event and I've seen plenty of vids and pics of other royal couples around the world whose religious service doesn't dampen their happy looks of love. Albert and his "runaway" bride look like something's not quite right, and nothing will convince me otherwise. No one enjoys kissing with eyes OPEN!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Excellent video of the tiara being tried on....

More work by Lorenz Bäumer:

LORENZ BAUMER | Splendor: A Celebration of Jewelry Designers

Harrow School - 2011 - Phillips de Pury - Lorenz Baumer

Designer Lorenz Bäumer is Haute Jewelry’s Hidden Gem » Jessica Michault
Old 07-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Here are reviews of her dress and tiara

Tiara

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Diamond Foam Tiara and Charlene's Wedding Gifts

Dress

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: The Prince and Princess of Monaco's Wedding: The Bridal Gown
Old 07-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

The diamond hair clip she wore for her wedding was beautiful but I couldnt help thinking as she turned her head that the points could really bite into her neck if she wasn't careful.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charlene was such a beautiful and ethereal looking bride. I love this photo: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LS22T1-jX3...rs-Daylife.jpg
I thought it was sweet that she wept a bit at her wedding. Most brides do!

BTW I just realized that was the first time we ever saw her father. Unlike the Middletons who constantly keep themselves in the press I respect Charlene's family for staying out of the limelight and not even giving an engagement interview.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post

Love this video in the Palace of the Princess trying on her jewellery.

THANK YOU, angieuk!!!!!!

I've been searching for this video, and finally found it, YES! It ranks amongst my very favorite, now I have it bookmarked.

Kudos to Prince Albert for gifting his lovely exquisite bride with not one, but TWO brand new tiaras. This one being my favorite. :) Albert truly has a heart of gold.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
The train from her back collar was removed at some point because you can see in a comparison with this picture before the ceremony Photo from Reuters Pictures and this picture after the ceremony Photo from Reuters Pictures.

I bet she was glad to have that big train removed. That looked heavy!
Oh now I see it. It must have been done when they entered the Chapelle Palatine because it is alredy gone when they step up the altar to sign the register
Old 07-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanaz View Post
Charlene was such a beautiful and ethereal looking bride. I love this photo: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LS22T1-jX3...rs-Daylife.jpg
I thought it was sweet that she wept a bit at her wedding. Most brides do!

BTW I just realized that was the first time we ever saw her father. Unlike the Middletons who constantly keep themselves in the press I respect Charlene's family for staying out of the limelight and not even giving an engagement interview.
I do agree with you about Charlene's family staying out of the limelight compared to the Middletons, but I have to wonder if the media spotlight was as glaring in South Africa as it was in the U.K.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:02 AM
Heir Apparent

I would imagine they might have found the whole occasion somewhat bewildering at first.
And it struck me as a performance, rather than a Christian wedding ceremony.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Aristocracy

I finally got a chance to youtube the civil and religious ceremonies.

1. The civil suit: in stills, it seems rather bland and uninspired, but on video--especially in movement, it totally works. I didn't like it at first, but it's growing on me. Plus, I applaud Charlene for being modern and wearing pants to get married. (How many women have the courage to that?)

2. The dress: I've loved it since I first saw it, love it even more now that I've seen videos of it. I had no idea it was that intricate and I love how the shoulder train is built on the dress. It must have been a heavy dress to wear, but Charlene looked at ease in it. (And I still adore the double train effect.) While it is similar to Victoria's, it's distinctive enough to not be considered a rip-off: Victoria's has a "comfortable," put on my favor cozy sweater sportswear element to it in how the bodie and skirt are designed (very minimalist, looks like it could be separates, etc). Classy and understated. Charlene's has more of a formal, couture element. The way the shoulder sleeves "wrap" around the body and form the train, the embroidery, and the structure is more glitzy. ('m not dissing Victoria's dress. I adore it: just explainin how I think Charlene's differs from hers even though both have the same shape.)

3. Reception outfit. I'm trying, but it's still a miss for me. It just doesn't seem to suit her figure. The Armani drawings are wonderful--but the drawings didn't translate in real life. Her Civil Ceremony suit worked because it balanced a hard jacket with a soft skirt, whereas this is entirely ethereal and Charlene doesn't have the body for ethereal, fragile dresses. (She's too toned and in shape for them.)

Can't forget her veil and hair brooch. I really like how she did that. It's blingy but subtle.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:39 AM
Heir Apparent

I think she made "a rod for her own back" with the dual train and the complex hair arrangement. She looked as if she was labouring under a great weight - physically, and perhaps emotionally also.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:20 AM
Courtier

It was lovely, classic and simple gown. However one train with the long veil would have been quite adequate. The second extra long train seemed to get in the way and spoilt the back shoulder line. She could have done away with this altogether, plus the bridesmaid did not know how to cope with both trains. Overall a lovely gown, appropriate and classic hairstyle and beautiful hair piece. A stunning combination for a very beautiful royal bride. I also loved the shade for the civil ceremony. Very different and suitably elegant for the occasion. I just feel that her mother chose a very dull shade for the church ceremony. Not a very flattering outfit either which seemed to lack a certain panache. Yet her brothers and father looked very handsome indeed.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:06 AM
Heir Apparent

I've always admired the gowns Armani made for CW, but somehow he lost his way with the wedding dress and trains.... Perhaps he's getting older...
Old 07-20-2011, 12:54 PM

I thought is was fabulous and she looked amazing at both "weddings"
Old 07-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
I think she made "a rod for her own back" with the dual train and the complex hair arrangement. She looked as if she was labouring under a great weight - physically, and perhaps emotionally also.
I would say yes to both. I noticed how she was walking to the altar with her father. She was pulling a lot of weight from the description.
Quote:
The dress took 2,500 hours to create, including 700 hours for the embroidery alone, and featured 40,000 Swarovski crystals, 20,000 mother of pearl teardrops and 30,000 stones in gold shades. The dress was made up of 50 metres of duchesse silk, and 80 metres of silk organza - and even the veil was a work of art, encompassing 20 metres of silk tulle taking 100 hours to embroider.
Vogue
Old 07-22-2011, 04:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Charlene (and possibly PA) have never understood the adage "Less is more", hence the sheer opulence of the whole "set piece" of a wedding.