Abdication of HH The Emir, Sheikh Hamad: June 24, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
Emir of Qatar to cede powers to 33-year-old son
Article

Qatar emir to cede crown to son within month: UK press
Article

Till now no official confirmation from the Amiri court .. Just press reports.

the news are more and more intense about eventual abdication and even no there is no deny from Sheikh Hamad Qtari Palace or even Aljazera and i guess that maybe is saying something.

Till now no official confirmation from the Amiri court .. Just press reports.

The official confirmation is to be announced later this month. Diplomats have been speaking to the press about this and thats where the news came from. Moreover, all media that first posted the news was from trusted and known news agencies that haven't spread gossip in the past.

Last edited:
The official confirmation is to be announced later this month. Diplomats have been speaking to the press about this and thats where the news came from. Moreover, all media that first posted the news was from trusted and known news agencies that haven't spread gossip in the past.

That´s very interesting, I would have expected that the news is released by the Al Thani family officially and not spread through international press.
If there are so many people confirming the story, I would guess that it is true!
How do the people in Qatar think/feel about the transition of power? The Emir seems to be very popular in his country from what I have seen, but of course Sheikh Tamim is also respected and appreciated, I believe he has a similar vision for Qatar like his father.
Hopefully he will be able to invite more freedom of speech and chances for normal Qatar citizens to have a chance to participate in important political decision-making processes.

Is Tamim the guy people were saying was going to get engaged to one of the Jordanian princesses but didnt?

Is Tamim the guy people were saying was going to get engaged to one of the Jordanian princesses but didnt?

Haha, yes this is the guy :D
It was purely speculative, he did not get married to the Princess,she married someone else!

This is not an abdication, it's a putsch camouflaged abdication. Like the actual Emir did with his father in vacations then in Switzeland, and took power over Qatar with help of his wife Sheikha Mozah and her father Nasser bin Abdullah Al Missned (died in 2007), who was an opponent of Sheikh Khalifa bin Hamad bin Abdallah Al Thani, father of the current Emir.The family lived in exile in Egypt and Kuwait.

Here is a list of Qatar´s emirs from the past and the current head of state List of emirs of Qatar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , interesting to notice:
Two emirs abdicated and the last two were disposed by close family members. Hamad bin Khalifa disposed his father Khalifa who still lives in exile,while Khalifa took over from his uncle´s son.
I personally believe that if Sheikh Tamim takes over now, the Emir (his father) abdicated for reasons of health, we do not need an expert to notice that Hamad bin Khalifa has weight issues and may have developed other health problems due to his obesity.

The abdication/retirement is in vogue this year. Having said that, I would say that it is a shrewd move on Emir's part to abdicate and help his son to govern the country behind the scenes.

The 18th anniversary of Emir Hamad's accession occurs on June 27th. Perhaps he will follow Queen Beatrix and abdicate for Crown Prince Tamim on that day?

Maybe today itself .. Let us wait for the ruling family meeting news.

The 18th anniversary of Emir Hamad's accession occurs on June 27th. Perhaps he will follow Queen Beatrix and abdicate for Crown Prince Tamim on that day?

Possibly it could be as new reports mentioned end of the month he will announce it.

Breaking news:
Aljazeera#: The Amir informed his family officially that he is to abdicate & transfer his powers to his son CP Tamim.
Reuters#: The Amir will abdicate tonight.

@zaidbenjamin: #BREAKING: Amir of #Qatar Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani to speak to his people at 8 am local time 1 am EDT

@zaidbenjamin: #BREAKING: Amir of #Qatar Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani to speak to his people at 8 am local time 1 am EDT

Qatar's local time = KSA local time (Mecca) = GMT+3 hours.

Emiri Diwan Announces HE the Emir Will Address Qatari people Tuesday
QNA

Tomorrows a public holiday in Qatar.

will there be a formal ceremony for the new sheikh's enthronement?

Maybe someone with more insight into Qatari politics can enlighten me here-is this kind of thing common? I suppose I was always of the impression that the Emir was more or less ruler for life. I find this a very interesting situation.

How sad, since i assume this will signal the disappearance of Sheika Mozah from high profile public life? Royal watchers everywhere will miss her outstanding sence of style !

Maybe someone with more insight into Qatari politics can enlighten me here-is this kind of thing common? I suppose I was always of the impression that the Emir was more or less ruler for life. I find this a very interesting situation.

According to Wikipedia's article "list of emirs of Qatar" (I don't know how to link things on this forum):

• Hakim Thani bin Mohammed Al Thamir ruled 1825-1850, when I believe he died.
    Hakim Mohammed bin Thani Al Thamir ruled 1850-1878, dying in December on the 18th, a day which is still Qatar's national day.
    Emir Jassim bin Mohammed Al Thani ruled 1878-1913, dying in power 100 years ago this July.
    Emir Abdullah bin Jassim Al Thani ruled 1913-1949, when he abdicated for his son, dying in 1957.
    Emir Ali bin Abdullah Al Thani ruled 1949-1960, when he abdicated for his son, dying in 1974.
    Emir Ahmad bin Ali Al Thani ruled 1960-1972, when his cousin Khalifa deposed him. He died in 1977.
    Emir Khalifa bin Hamad Al Thani ruled 1972-1995, when his son Hamad deposed him. Emir Khalifa still lives today.
    Emir Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani ruled 1995-2013, when he abdicated for his son Tamim. Emir Hamad is still obviously alive.
    Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani ruled 2013-present, will apparently become Emir of Qatar on June 25th, 2013, when the present emir Hamad abdicates tomorrow.

So as you can see, Emir Hamad will tomorrow become the 5th successive Emir of Qatar to cease reigning before his death. He will be the 3rd Emir to give up the throne of his own volition. (The other two were deposed in coups, both bloodless.)

Qatar is in this respect quite similar to the Netherlands, but with bloodless coups sometimes replacing abdications.

How sad, since i assume this will signal the disappearance of Sheika Mozah from high profile public life? Royal watchers everywhere will miss her outstanding sence of style !
i don't think saw maybe she will be more active and involved with Qatar issues as she is the mother of Tamim.
in general she is powerful woman and i don't see her taking a side and leaving her mega Projets however it will be intersting to see wich one of Tamim wives will have the role of the first lady.

Well better to go voluntarily than to be deposed by your son.

i don't think saw maybe she will be more active and involved with Qatar issues as she is the mother of Tamim.
in general she is powerful woman and i don't see her taking a side and leaving her mega Projets however it will be intersting to see wich one of Tamim wives will have the role of the first lady.

That´s true, Sheikha Moza has many important posts in Qatar and also internationally & she is still leading the Qatar foundation that does a lot of charity work. She has always emphasized that her role is humanitarian and not political,
she will certainly go on working & continue with her fashion statements as well :D

I do not know any of Sheikh Tamim´s wives except for their name, but they seem to prefer to keep a low profile, this is why I can´t imagine that any of them will be as public, opinionated and influental like Sheikha Moza.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom