The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 06-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Myself1995's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 237
Do commonwealth countries pay taxes to support the BRF?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-18-2009, 10:51 PM
wbenson's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: -, United States
Posts: 2,266
The only time they incur public expense in a commonwealth realm is, as far as I know, when they make official trips to the country. Otherwise, the money that in the UK would go to support the office of the monarch goes to fund the local Governor-General.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,507
That's true. We only pay expenses when they're in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
The only time they incur public expense in a commonwealth realm is, as far as I know, when they make official trips to the country. Otherwise, the money that in the UK would go to support the office of the monarch goes to fund the local Governor-General.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-19-2009, 05:03 AM
Myself1995's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 237
Quote:
That's true. We only pay expenses when they're in the country
I was suprised when Canada had an election awhile back, and the news kept saying that the Q of E might step in and somehow put the election on hold - I guess I didn't know the BRF had any real power in England, much less in other countries.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,507
It's actually the Governor General who exercises those powers here. The Governor General doesn't act against the advice of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. But if a new election were to be called, the GG would have to sign off on it. Ultimately, it's a democratic system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself1995 View Post
I was suprised when Canada had an election awhile back, and the news kept saying that the Q of E might step in and somehow put the election on hold - I guess I didn't know the BRF had any real power in England, much less in other countries.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 9,228

As next year is an election year in Australia any timing would have to be very carefully thought out so that it can't be seen as the British royals trying to influence the vote e.g. by showing support for the incumbent government for instance.

As there is also the possibility (at the moment it isn't on the agenda for that time but that doesn't mean that it won't be) that there could be a plebiscite attached to the election about Australia becoming a republic it would be very difficult to have a royal visit in the lead up to such an event.

I am not saying the visit won't happen just that there are considerations that may mean it won't.

Note that the article says that the PM's of both countries haven't been informed of this decision yet and it is possible that the PM won't extend an invitation.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-07-2009, 05:05 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I am not saying the visit won't happen just that there are considerations that may mean it won't.

Note that the article says that the PM's of both countries haven't been informed of this decision yet and it is possible that the PM won't extend an invitation.
It is understood he plans to go next spring and would visit as an official representative of the Queen at the request of the Foreign office.The move will also help ease the burden of foreign travel on his 83-year-old grandmother

Prince William tells tourists of Australia trip plans - Telegraph
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-07-2009, 05:56 AM
Vongentry's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1
Prince William

My question is simple....Is it true or faulse that prince William will visit Australia...
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 9,228
True.

At some stage in the future William will visit Australia.
However - whether that is next year officially or at some later date is unclear.

There are reports in various papers that he has indicated that he is to visit next year however the reports also indicate that there have been no official invitation extended by Mr Rudd and the government for him to do so.

At this stage - as far as next year is concerned the simple answer is - we don't know.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 9,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
It is understood he plans to go next spring and would visit as an official representative of the Queen at the request of the Foreign office.The move will also help ease the burden of foreign travel on his 83-year-old grandmother

Prince William tells tourists of Australia trip plans - Telegraph

But if the Australian government don't wont a representative of the Queen at the request of a foreign countries' Foreign Office he won't come.

It has to be by mutual agreement.

The British government can NOT just tell the Australian government "We are sending you an official representative of the Queen" anymore. We are an independent country and control who enters this country.

If the Australian government issues an invitation then he may come as an official representative of the Queen but until the Australian government agrees he can't. He has no more right to come here than any other British citizen - he needs the permission of the Australian government, just as I need the permission of the British government to enter Britain.

I am not saying it won't happen just that it isn't only up to the British government/Foreign Office to decide but that the Australian government also has to agree.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 07-08-2009, 01:46 AM
RoyalistRiley's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As next year is an election year in Australia any timing would have to be very carefully thought out so that it can't be seen as the British royals trying to influence the vote e.g. by showing support for the incumbent government for instance.

As there is also the possibility (at the moment it isn't on the agenda for that time but that doesn't mean that it won't be) that there could be a plebiscite attached to the election about Australia becoming a republic it would be very difficult to have a royal visit in the lead up to such an event.

I am not saying the visit won't happen just that there are considerations that may mean it won't.

Note that the article says that the PM's of both countries haven't been informed of this decision yet and it is possible that the PM won't extend an invitation.
If the republic is not on the immediate agenda, then it shouldn't matter whether a royal visit is made and if one is, it shouldn't be seen as an attempt to influence voters to swing to the monarchist side as the republicans will be parading all of their high-profile supporters, no doubt.
__________________
God Save the Queen! Advance Australia Fair!
"Life is a game in which the player must appear ridiculous" - The Dowager Countess of Grantham, Downton Abbey
http://twitter.com/FutureSirRiley
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Sereta's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The, United States
Posts: 2,012
Can someone please tell me what all the countries of the Commonwealth are? I know Australia and Canada are part of it, but I don't know what the other countries are.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Marsel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 967


The list of 53 independent sovereign states - members of the Commonwealth of Nations can be found in this Wikipedia article.
The Commonwealth realms (16 Sovereign States within the Commonwealth of Nations that share the same Head of the State - currently Queen Elizabeth II) are the following:

In North America

* Antigua and Barbuda
* Bahamas
* Barbados
* Belize
* Canada
* Grenada
* Jamaica
* Saint Kitts and Nevis
* Saint Lucia
* Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

In Oceania

* Australia
* New Zealand
* Papua New Guinea
* Solomon Islands
* Tuvalu

In Europe

* United Kingdom
__________________
Audentes fortuna iuvat - Fortune favours the bold *** ... ***Amore, more, ore, re - Love, behaviour, words, actions *** ... ***Aquila non capit muscas - An eagle does not hunt flies
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Sereta's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The, United States
Posts: 2,012
Thank you Marsel. I wasn't expecting a response so quickly.
Wow! I didn't realize there were 53 in the commonwealth and in such diverse areas. Some of the countries? I never even heard of.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 09-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,408

It's wonderful being apart of this Commonwealth of Nations.
And one day I hope William will be the head of state of all of the realms and 53 nations.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 9,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post

It's wonderful being apart of this Commonwealth of Nations.
And one day I hope William will be the head of state of all of the realms and 53 nations.
As a citizen of one of the countries other than Great Britain, I hope that he is never King of Australia.

By the time he becomes King of Britain I hope that we have an Australian as our Head of State.

Of course when that happens the rest of the Commonwealth will have to decide whether or not we stay in the Commonwealth and I really can't see a point in that any more.

The only time we hear of the Commonwealth in Australia is the Commonwealth Games and CHOGM. So whether he ever becomes Head of the Commonwealth is rather meaningless to many citizens within that organisation as there is no benefit to belonging that I am aware of - it made sense before Britain sold out its Commonwealth and joined the European Union but now it is just a pointless talkfest for the leaders and a chance for our athletes to attend a sporting festival every four years.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Marsel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 967


There is a hope that when England gets a new Government after next elections (and for the sake of the country, I hope they it does), it will re-define the Governments priorities and the Commonwealth will be meaningful once again.
I agree though that it is increasingly unlikely William will be King of all 16 current Commonwealth Realms.
__________________
Audentes fortuna iuvat - Fortune favours the bold *** ... ***Amore, more, ore, re - Love, behaviour, words, actions *** ... ***Aquila non capit muscas - An eagle does not hunt flies
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,507
I rather enjoy being in the Commonwealth. I see it as belonging to a voluntary club of nations. There must be some sort of advantage to being in the Commonwealth because republics such as India are still within the Commonwealth without having the Queen as the head of state. The Commonwealth can exercise influence by suspending countries--such as happened with South Africa at one time--because of human rights abuses.

Here's the home page. The Republic of Fiji has been suspended: http://www.thecommonwealth.org



Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

The only time we hear of the Commonwealth in Australia is the Commonwealth Games and CHOGM. So whether he ever becomes Head of the Commonwealth is rather meaningless to many citizens within that organisation as there is no benefit to belonging that I am aware of - it made sense before Britain sold out its Commonwealth and joined the European Union but now it is just a pointless talkfest for the leaders and a chance for our athletes to attend a sporting festival every four years.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Marsel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 967


I agree, membership in the Commonwealth of Nations must be beneficial for member - states, otherwise they would have left the organization years ago.
It's rather like Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), which unites 10 of the 15 former Soviet Republics: everyone loves to say it's useless but the CIS does actually solve questions and unites people from different countries.
__________________
Audentes fortuna iuvat - Fortune favours the bold *** ... ***Amore, more, ore, re - Love, behaviour, words, actions *** ... ***Aquila non capit muscas - An eagle does not hunt flies
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 09-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Opal's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Coastal, Ireland
Posts: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel View Post


The list of 53 independent sovereign states - members of the Commonwealth of Nations can be found in this Wikipedia article.
The Commonwealth realms (16 Sovereign States within the Commonwealth of Nations that share the same Head of the State - currently Queen Elizabeth II) are the following:

In North America

* Antigua and Barbuda
* Bahamas
* Barbados
* Belize
* Canada
* Grenada
* Jamaica
* Saint Kitts and Nevis
* Saint Lucia
* Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

In Oceania

* Australia
* New Zealand
* Papua New Guinea
* Solomon Islands
* Tuvalu

In Europe

* United Kingdom
Looking at this extensive list (including what's on Wikipedia) I'm just wondering, has the Queen actually visited all of these places in the Commonwealth?
And would William be expected to visit all of the countries/regions that are still a part of the Commonwealth when he reigns?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british commonwealth, prince william


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Queen, the Royal Family and the Commonwealth saxon Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh 142 05-03-2015 07:10 PM
Charles and the Commonwealth Huddo The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 42 11-28-2014 08:43 PM
Questions relating to Commonwealth Realms wedmonds General Royal Discussion 40 08-02-2014 11:07 PM
The Commonwealth and Commonwealth Realms post Elizabeth Keystone British Royals 104 04-08-2014 04:51 PM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium best outfit brussels carl philip crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess catharina-amalia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events death fashion fashion poll funeral hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king juan carlos abdication king philippe king willem-alexander letizia maxima official visit picture of the week poland president gauck president hollande president komorowski prince carl philip prince daniel prince henrik princess alexia (2005 -) princess charlene princess haya princess madeleine princess mary princess mette-marit princess of asturias queen elizabeth ii queen fabiola queen letizia queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima fashion queen maxima style queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sonja royal fashion sofia hellqvist spain state visit stockholm sweden the hague van vollenhoven visit wedding willem-alexander


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]