William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I think that it's Kate who's prolonging the relationship.
If she and William marry, her life will be completely transformed, and she will lose such basic freedoms as being able to go out and buy a gallon of milk without people following her. She will also forgo any chance of having a career, or of ever going anywhere anonymously again.
To make such a big and permanent decision in one's mid-20's is something that I'm sure Kate hasn't taken lightly, and I'm glad that she's not rushing into anything.

Personally I don't think the Duke of Windsor's memory will play a role in the date of Williams engagement. All the principals of that sad old soap opera have passed on, and while the Queen certainly holds the memory of her parents with great regard....she isn't going to let any hangups about the abdication get in the way of her grandson's wedding announcement. Really, one needs to see via the schedule what the Queen, Prince Phillip and Charles have on their agenda's for that time period. Harry too.

That being said...if it is going to happen in June, I don't think it will happen two or three days after the election. The country will have more important things to focus on...like who won, the transition of power etc. Not sure how things are done in England, but in the states after we elect a new president, before the old one is out the door...the papers are always reporting about daily goings on of the President Elect. It happened with both Bushes, Reagan, Clinton and Obama. It happens every time, but maybe that's cause I live in Washington, DC and we are politics here 24/7. With that in mind, I am sure the papers will follow Brown, Cameron, etc. Oh except the papers that will still be focusing on Jordan :)

If Kate and William get engaged in June, it won't be announced the day after the elections but with enough time for her to appear at Ascot (not that is particuarly important).

Last edited:
The elections are on May 6th (it's been announced) so if there's an engagement in early June it's not just after the elections but a month later. Not that I think there's likely to be an engagement announcement, a November wedding isn't likely as William begins work as a SAR pilot in October, he's not going to get married and go on honeymoon a month after he starts work!

I don't think Kate is in any hurry to marry, at the moment she's managed to claw back some semblance of privacy through legal means and is relatively free to do whatever she wants with her days. That will change should she marry into the Royal Family, why rush it!? She's got money, a boyfriend who seems quite serious about her and she's free to do whatever she wants. There's no incentive to rush into marriage, they seem quite happy with things the way they are. As it seems Zara and Mike Tindall, both have mentioned putting marriage on the backburner until after the 2012 London Olympics.

The current generation of twentysomethings don't feel a need to rush into marriage, William and Kate reflect that trend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because Tina Brown wrote about Diana a while back doesn't make her a "royal expert" and it certainly doesn't mean she's "in the know".
Exactly. To me Tina Brown isn't a royal expert either.

I'm doubting this whole story. But it will be interesting to watch what'll be happening in June, though. Hypothetically speaking, everything is possible.
It's indeed imaginable that Zara & Mike will tie the knot soon, after he has talked about marrying Zara quite a while ago.

If this all pans out it would be the engagement that was on that day.... what would they say of the Duke of Windsors wedding it was small and not a Royal event there would be nothing to compare it too, and deffently not the likes of William's wedding.I believe the only comparing goning on will be to his mother and fathers weddeing... Even Charles and Camillia's serves was grander then the Duke of Windsors ....IMO of course. but I agree with you that we should not go off the likes of Tina Brown or anyone for that matter, only William and Kate will know when the big announcement will come...but it is awful fun to guess and make point about it....;)

Why There Won't Be A Royal Wedding This Year - CBS News

News that Britain's Prince William and his long-term girlfriend Kate Middleton could be heading down the aisle before the year is out seem far wide of the mark, according to my sources at Clarence House.

Does Waity Katie know something we don't? | Mail Online

Sooner or later, something has got to give in the curious relationship between the 27-year-old Prince William and his ever patient girlfriend, 28-year-old Kate Middleton. Perhaps something already has?

For despite the seemingly impermanent nature of their romance and the longeurs between their actual dates, Kate has the creamy bloom of a woman hugging a secret close to her heart.

And it's not just that Prince William called her father 'Dad' on a recent skiing trip together. A joke, of course. Yet could it be that she and the Prince are secretly engaged?

I do think this time.... the denials are a bluff..... primarily to keep attention for the moment on the General Election. I still say my inbuilt radar feels there is TRUTH to this latest announcement that we may at long last be onto something.

I agree 100% Miss Garnett.... if not June soon there after..........

I do think this time.... the denials are a bluff..... primarily to keep attention for the moment on the General Election. I still say my inbuilt radar feels there is TRUTH to this latest announcement that we may at long last be onto something.

Completely disagree. You sound very certain about these being bluffs.
After his military career, these rumours have been going around for a while, so have the denials.
Zara I think will most likely marry before William.
Kate, nor any spouse of the boys will get Diana's ring, too many memories and bad luck.

Someone mentioned The Queen ordering Champagne? possible because State Banquets need Champagne or special occasions.
Spur in engagements, he may have realised he needs to do something or than his military career which is just for show.

The Duke Of Windsor's wedding anniversary, or birthday or abdication day, will make very little difference. No one remembers them.

I think we'll hear an engagement announcement when we least expect it. Even if these dates had been penciled in, I think William's press-phobia would lead him to change the plans to avoid having the press be right about it, honestly.

I think we'll hear an engagement announcement when we least expect it. Even if these dates had been penciled in, I think William's press-phobia would lead him to change the plans to avoid having the press be right about it, honestly.

Agree Ella Kay. I think the reaction of the press stories will make Prince William announce the engagement later. A shorter public engagement is better for them.

Tina Brown would not have announced those dates in June unless she knew someone in the inner circle of BRF. Now she will probably be half right about a fall or winter 2010 wedding. :);):)

I don't know how good Tina Brown's palace connections really are, georgiea. Wouldn't surprise me if she'd posted her blog re: the June dates on a hunch, just as a way to drive up traffic to her site.

But I agree, a short public engagement for W/K probably would be a good deal at this point. They've been together long enough -- I think we can all safely assume that they know each other well enough by now. ;)

:previous:
Jeez, they must be desperate to drag out the "royal engagement" rumours for as long as possible. How's this:

"...the Sunday Express has learned that Kate has had to give up her dream of marrying in Scotland. Members of the Royal household have been driven to distraction for months by her burning desire for a romantic Highland wedding...Officials at Buckingham Palace have been under huge pressure from Kate to try to persuade the Queen to agree to a Scottish wedding."

Let's deconstruct the above: "...give up her dream...driven to distraction...burning desire...huge pressure..." It's almost Kate Middleton the harridan.

If this is to be believed, despite her many years of mixing in the inner royal circle, Kate Middleton has seemingly no idea of the significant role royal weddings play in the panoply of monarchy. A "highland wedding" for a future King? Yeah sure. Kate trying to exert pressure on the Queen to get her way? We can just imagine Ms Middleton taking on Elizabeth R in a battle of wills. It would certainly be interesting, although very shortlived.

Then there's this: "Nor does she want to marry in Westminster Abbey because there have been so many royal and state funerals there.

Based on this statement it seems that Kate must think Westminster Abbey has only been in vogue for such things in recent years. She couldn't possiblty know that Westminster Abbey is under the personal jurisdiction of the Sovereign, the Norman Kings were crowned there, monarchs have been entombed there since the Plantagenets, and eminent citizens have been buried in the Abbey since the time of Chaucer. Yes, there have been far too many funerals over almost 1000 years for any bride to deal with. I'm surprised the "reporter" didn't take the argument further and suggest that her best wedding option is to find a church that has no history, significance or royal connections at all.

Where do they come up with this stuff? :ermm:

Erm...what's all this about Kate wanting a dream wedding in Scotland?! Whenever has Kate Middleton ever had ideas about marrying in Scotland? They may as well have said "Kate in battle with palace over wedding in Hawaii" for all the sense it makes. What a load of rubbish from the Sunday Express! Also, I can think of no chapel, church, Abbey or Cathedral in this country or any other country for that matter that hasn't had a thousand weddings and funerals during it's history! It should be illegal for newspapers to make up stories like this. How on Earth does anyone know what Kate's dream wedding plans are, if indeed she's even thinking about it!

If/When William and Kate marry i cannot see the wedding being held anywhere but London and in Westminster Abbey - i dont see it being St Pauls because of the Diana/Charles connection and St George's Chapel is too small for the wedding of a future King it is perfect for the weddings of Harry, Zara, Beatrice, Eugenie etc

Why There Won't Be A Royal Wedding This Year - CBS News

News that Britain's Prince William and his long-term girlfriend Kate Middleton could be heading down the aisle before the year is out seem far wide of the mark, according to my sources at Clarence House.

What a whacky article...like any source at Clarence House would ever say anything to the media regarding an engagement. I don't care if it's anonymous or not, CBS needs their brains examined.

The daily mail article says "As far as they're concerned, they are engaged" but then goes on to explain why they won't be getting engaged.

And, if their marriage is to be any time soon, Thursday will be the day Kate learns where she will start her life as a Royal wife

Why thursday? :ermm:

Well that was a short-lived flurry of excitement.

On the 6th of April Tina Brown claimed on her 'The Daily Beast' blog to have "inside information" about an impending engagement; the story was immediately picked up and splashed by the world's media; by the 9th it was all over.

During the frenzy, the two people who were the subject of this intense scrutiny never uttered a single word. Even worse, they were invisible.
Journos and newspaper proprietors must despair. It's hard to get a story to run more than a few days isn't it? :D

Not to worry, any number of engagement predictions can be confidently made in the knowledge that, chances are, one day they will prove correct.
Royal romantics and media watchers take heart: we can expect more of the same, for however long it takes. :)

Why thursday? :ermm:
The answer is in the same Daily Mail article you have referred to and quoted from. The relevant part states:
"On Thursday, William will learn which squadron he is to fly with and where he will spend the next 36 months."

I still have a feeling, despite all the ridiculousness surrounding so many of the out-of-whole-cloth "news" stories, that there will be a wedding announcement soon. Some say that Tina Brown is not well connected to the royals anymore, but surely she prides herself on that particular kind of inside information. I can't imagine her staking her reputation on incorrect royal wedding news! She may very well have details and dates wrong, but I have a feeling the gist of her story is true.

Predict once per year that there will be a royal wedding and eventually you will be right.

You're quite correct Scarebaby: the longer the Wills 'n Kate situation continues "unresolved" the closer we will be to the announcement which many/most of us expect. If we took a poll of those TRF members who wanted to predict an engagement date, it's quite likely that someone would be spot on or very close. But of course we won't know till the event itself and any cries of "told you so!" will be greeted by the retort of "lucky guess!" :D

Who knows, perhaps Tina Brown was leaked the information from an inside source, but maybe it was the source themselves who got over-excited and jumped to the wrong conclusion about the "vacant" diary dates at the beginning of June. Then again, we may be greeted with the big news on that very date. If not, the day will pass unremarked, or else we'll have a new round of "It will be in August!" and the hares will be let loose again for another run. Many of us have seen so many cycles of the media ramping engagement speculation based on who-knows-what or nothing-in-particular that we're not so much cyncial as unresponsive until we see the photos of the engagement ring on Kate's finger. :)

For me - and maybe I'm the only one - the fact that Kate is 28 already is an issue. If they get married in November, she'll be very close to 29. If she has her first child a year or so after that she'll be 30. I know that's not a vast age, but surely she will be expected to product at least "an heir and a spare", so that means at least a couple of kids in her 30s.

That's a timeline that works, but in my opinion, if they wait another five years, and she doesn't even start producing kids til she's 35 or 36, that begins to be a problem. Or am I way off the mark here?

Not that I don't agree with this as an issue, but both Princesses Mary and Letizia had children when they were 33 and 35 and if we go back a long way, Queen Elizbeth II herself had Prince Andrew two months before her 34th birthday and Prince Edward one month before her 38th birthday, but everybody is different so only time will tell. However, William and Kate better be more safe than sorry and not hold out too long.

I think the only thing that REALLY matters is whether William and Kate both feel ready to marry. For all we know, they may be very happy to plod along this way for a few more years, testing the waters and living without all the attention they'll have after marriage. The better safe than sorry part should apply to that decision first, then to the timing on possible children...

Wasn't there a previous poster on this thread who also seemed to be quite sure that an engagement would be announced not long after the General Election?

CHRISTOPHER WILSON: She wears Diana's tiara. Her brother bakes the cake. So what would Kate and Wills' Big Day really be like? | Mail Online

Last week, Princess Diana’s biographer Tina Brown claimed that a date for the wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton has been set for November. So what would the big day be like? Here, royal commentator Christopher Wilson imagines the marriage of the century...

==================

I think the already tenuous grasp on reality that the Mail has is starting to slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom