William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
William isn't going to disappear, he will become King unless something drastic happens, Kate or someone else will give him an heir and the Windsor dynasty will continue.

This is an illusion Queen Elizabeth doesn't have enough blue blood in her veins William or Harry must do something to correct that People will say what kind of royals are these?

What illusion?
William or Harry will be King after Charles, they aren't going to disappear. And not many people are screaming from the rooftops "these royals are too much like commoners" they might when William becomes King, but not yet. IMO.

In general, I think royal houses are becoming less "blue-blooded". Since morganatic marriages are not really re-inforced much these days, royals are marring people that tend to look good, rather than have stellar breeding. Daniel, the future Charlene, etc. are not highly bred people. They aren't even from notable bourgeoise "old money" families. So the idea of nobility is being watered down. I also find it appauling how royal geneologist are going out of their way to try to prove that some 30 generations ago some individual had some noble member in their family tree., as was the case with Daniel. It is rediculous. I would hardly consider Daniel to have any real blue-blood in him just because there may have been some minor nobleman way removed in his family tree. I would not consider anyone a true blue blood if their immediate parents were not titled. Otherwise everyone is a blue-blood if we go back farther enough in time to find some resemblence of noble lineage.

Recognising the concept of monarchy cannot really be rationalised in the context of the modern world, I think the level of "blue blood" is not very relevant. The monarchies that have survived and done well in the 20th century are those that have made themselves relavant to prevailing times and to their subjects, and not because the monarchs have "blue blood"

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: But this is a slippery road. One can not support tradition, if the rules are constantly being broken to merely support the immediate interests of a royal house, and if that continues to happen, than what does it even mean to be noble/royal. Moreover, if the rules need to be broken, then the real question is if royalty is even relevant or needed in the modern world. Royals can not have their cake and eat it too. I don't want to see some bogus marketing of a non-royal into a blue-blood, like what the Sweedish Royal House did to pretend that Daniel had some blue-blood in him or that he was some sort of high-power businessman, when in reality he was as common as common can get and was nothing more than a fitness instructor. Being truly royal is bred into a person, not simply created by spin doctors to serve the interests of a royal house.

When Queen Victora married all of her children and some grandchildren into every Royal family in Eourpe it became very hard for later members of the Royal family to find a non-relatives to marry what other chocie in this day and age do young royals have to marry outside of thier box. Also how far back do we really have to go to find where Kings, Queens, Princes, and Princess stopped marring other Royals that where not there 5 cousin twice removed.. I think new blood lines are not such a bad thing. I mean come on are we really talking about Marriage of State in 2010?

Although tradition and culture regarding who marries whom is very important let's remember that whether one believes in evolution or creation, no-one among the original people came into this world as royal. All lines of ancestors started from the same point. As all royal "blood" and dynasties started along the way from different circumstances so can a new bloodline start today.

I think the press are so bored of waiting for an event they are begining to write anything to fill the gossip until prince william actually proposes. after 8 years there's nothing they havn't written about!

It is getting rather boring, isn't it?? How much longer do we have to wait... and more importantly, I am beginning to think.. Who cares!

It is getting rather boring, isn't it?? How much longer do we have to wait... and more importantly, I am beginning to think.. Who cares!

We wait until William is ready to announce that he is getting married and then we will know.

Who cares? Anyone who cares about the future of the BRF as William does have a responsibility to that family. Of course the fact that Peter is about to be a father reduces that responsibility somewhat as that means there is an heir in the next generation (certainly this child will be born 12th line replacing Zara in that position and their chances of becoming monarch almost non-existent but the child does give the family the child in the next generation).

Who knows maybe when Peter becomes a father William migth get 'clucky' and want to become a Dad and that might stir him to action (assuming that he is the one dragging the chain - if a chain is being dragged at all of course).

The press has written almost everything about them but what is true I want William to marry into Royalty If he proposes to KM they'll become engaged not married Maybe during the engagement period will both realize this is a mistake like Mad & Jonas and will call off the engagement Maybe that's their destiny

^ Such a bitter statement to say about a couple who clearly love and care for another. The only way their engagement would be called off is if one is dumb enough to cheat on the other.

What engagement? So you think they clearly love and care for each other? Perhaps, we don´t know do we? Sometimes living together leads to marriage, and many many times it doesn´t. Whatever!
I know that I would never enter a business arrangement without a signed contract and I think that marriage is far more serious that a mere investment, because of that I just
can´t understand why people live together without getting married. In the case of Prince William, he is a royal and can´t be judged by the standards of the normal lives of people in Britain and especially in other countries, whatever he does he will come through it, no problems, but to be the ex girlfriend of a King or Prince of Wales or any royal Prince is not so good. Well time will tell, I never thought that Prince Albert would become engaged to Charlene and he did, he isn´t married yet but it seems that the marriage will take place so there is still hope for Kate.

I agree it is getting very very boring. If William marries Kate he will be the first heir to the throne in British history who has married a real commoner, (there is sure to be someone who will correct me on this) If we take commoner to mean as it does someone who is not a born royal, then there was the Queen mother, but the Queen mother was of royal descent as was Lady Diana. Prince William is in direct line to the throne so who he marries is of importance to all British Monarchists but it is getting very boring and I am nearing the point when I am beginning not to care any more. I believe that the Queen is going to be the last really regal Monarch of GB so whoever comes after her doesn´t really matter, at least to me.

A true commoner would be someone that has no royal blood in their background at all. In the United States would be where you would find more people than would fit into this category. Princess, Diana and Ferge had royalty in their blood lines. It was very distant but it was there. Even I would not be a true commoner because I have it in my blood lines even though this is going back over 200 years ago. In my case common commoner blood was mixed with Polish royalty.

I agree it is getting very very boring. If William
marries Kate he will be the first heir to the throne in British history who has married a real commoner, (there is sure to be someone who will correct me on this)

A true commoner would be someone that has no royal blood in their background at all.

Cousins would mean something in her blood? :ermm:

Not a bitter statment If William and and Kate love each other dearly like Popeye and Olive they will tie the knot one day I'm saying we must not jump to conclusions like the press They have said everything about this couple I don't belive anything anymore

I wish he would marry someone from a royal family. Some family that aren't directly related, maybe related 200 years ago or something. Then again he's too much like charles ewwwwww. Harry would be a better king.

Cause Harry is dating a member of a royal family?

I wish he would marry someone from a royal family. Some family that aren't directly related, maybe related 200 years ago or something. Then again he's too much like charles ewwwwww. Harry would be a better king.

I recently watched a documentary about the British royal family and learned that King George V (Queen Elizabeth's Grandfather) changed the family's last name (to Windsor) and changed requirements for marriage (to allow marriages to British commoners) in an effort to create a more quintessentially British royal family. He saw the marriages to foreign royalty as problematic as public opinion certainly did regard these European princes and princesses as foreign. I think that his decision to change marriage requirements was a good one and resulted in this family, now three generations later, really identified as a British family.

I don't see why there is all this fuss for William and Harry to marry European princesses- why not let them marry for love? We saw what happened when their father married for duty rather than for love. Do you really want these boys to have to endure the same experience?

And as Zonk said- Harry is certainly not dating a European royal... nor has he ever! I also think that your assessment of who would make a better king based on who they are dating is completely off base.

:previous:
George V changed the family and House name from Saxe-Coburg & Gotha to Windsor in 1917 but he didn't change any "marriage requirements".
Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise married a commoner as did Edward VII's daughter Louise, Princess Royal.

Sorry for the error- this documentary emphasized the changes George V made to the monarchy and public perception of the monarchy. Were there any marriage laws changed for heirs to the throne, or have they always been able to marry commoners?

Thanks for the correction.

I think that the law doesn't forbid them to marry commoners. But if they are to marry Roman Catholics then they will be removed from the succession.

There are no marriage laws specifically for heirs to the throne. The Act of Settlement determines succession (eg, marriage to a Roman Catholic disbars the person).
The Royal Marriages Act states in short that male-line descendants of George II must seek the Sovereign's permission to marry.

Last edited:

I think Harry would be a great king but I don't know if he'd be a better king than William.

I like the fact that royals are now marrying commoners. Most royals are in some way related...so even if Harry goes back 200 years he's still probably marrying his distant cousin. Which is just nasty! I don't care how far back it is. Royals marrying royals are over. Besides I won't be surprised if he marries outside his race...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom