William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:

Oh, okay. I may have misunderstood you both. But after all it's a thread about Wills and Kate. I have no problem at all with people living together out of wedlock, but concerning William... I think I agree with Duchess here.

He doesn't have to marry and produce an heir. There are plenty of members of the royal family who can pick up the slack if he doesn't e.g. Edward VIII didn't marry and have an heir (well he married but only after giving up the throne). If William doesn't marry then Harry's line will take over, or if they both don't then it will be passed to Beatrice. It isn't like the situation 200 years ago when there was only one legitimate grandchild of the aging king - the Queen has 8 grandchildren plus a nephew and a neice who have both become parents and then there is the more extended family as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew that someone would bring this point up. You're right, he doesn't have to marry, but it is expected. If not from him then from Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie etc. as you already said. From theory to practice...

I don't think there is such a thing as a "sanctity" of marriage, especially when so many people, famous and not-famous, make a joke of it.
Ah! But there is because Mr. Russo and I made SURE it was there in our marriage when we tied the knot. And we keep it that way. Yes, it is work and it works for us. I understand what you are saying about how cheap marriage has become the media has helped considerably in that area.
However! Whomever William and Catherine marry, I DO sincerely hope that they WILL keep the sancity of marriage in whatever marriage they contract.

Hello, in this week magazine 7 Jours (Québec) they say Prince William and Kate's wedding will cost approximately 40 000 000$ (canadian $$$) and her wedding gown will cost 200 000..

Isabelle.

Well they aren't getting married, so they are estimating costs for an imaginary wedding.

Kate and William's wedding can cost that much?! I was thinking it would be in the same
price range as Victoria's! And a $200,000 dress? WOW!!!

I honestly can't see a royal wedding costing a huge amount of money right now. I think that they're taking prices out of the air.

Kate and William's wedding can cost that much?! I was thinking it would be in the same
price range as Victoria's! And a $200,000 dress? WOW!!!

This is pure speculation.

There is no way at the moment that the British government and people would contenance that sort of spending on a wedding.

CDN$40,000,000 sounds way too high. The estimates I can find of the cost of Charles and Diana's wedding* are all around a million pounds. Adjusted for inflation, that's around 2.5 million today, or around 4 million Canadian.

*Admittedly, they're all from Soviet government news outlets, so take that as you will. Western outlets don't mention a cost, but they do say that there was an attempt to keep the costs down because of the economy. The Globe and Mail (of Canada) said:

It is impossible to know how much the extravaganza will cost because the Queen is paying for many services out of her own purse. These include the music at the wedding service, the flowers and other decorations at St. Paul's Cathedral, the wedding cake, a private reception at Buckingham Palace after the wedding and clothes for the wedding party. One newspaper estimate put the Queen's expenses at about $70,000.

(The story also states that a poll taken in 1981 said that 68% of respondents thought the Queen should abdicate in favor of Prince Charles. Popular opinion is fickle, isn't it?)

Last edited:
I remember those polls back then and they were sometimes even higher. Charles was going to be the 'saviour' of the House of Windsor in the late 1970s and early 1980s - now that job is William's because as his father entered his mid-late 30s and 40s his marriage disintergrated and he was seen as evil incarnate in the eyes of many.

Charles has served his country totally since his teens but doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Hopefully he will in time (particularly when he becomes King and people see him for the truly caring man he really is).

I do find it interesting that we are now hearing the same ideas put forward with regard to William - Charles should step down in favour of William, William is the 'saviour' of the House of Windsor etc. To me it smakes of ageism - the Queen was in her 50s and 60s when these ideas were put forward and Charles the youngster in his 20s and 30s but now we are one generation further on....:D

Her wedding gown can cost $200,000 if its loaded with diamonds, etc.
But thats probably going to far. Will and Kate should have a nice wedding, but not to extravagant.

If Prince William and Kate decide to marry and they pay for the wedding themselves, then no one should criticize how much they spend. The same is true if a private party or indvidual pays for their wedding. It would be a different story if the taxpayers paid for the royal wedding (I doubt this would ever happen or has happened).

The royal family pays for part of the wedding, but the tax payer pays for some of it.
William and Kate themselves, couldn't afford the wedding that is expected.

The royal family pays for part of the wedding, but the tax payer pays for some of it.
William and Kate themselves, couldn't afford the wedding that is expected.

Something a lot of people forget is that there are a lot of "hidden" expenses, the street decorations, the security and other expenses linked to these.
A royal wedding is an "occasion" and brings an enormous cost to the taxpayer with it, which just might be offset by the number of people who flock to see it and hopefully spend a few pennies while doing so.
No royal, especially in Britain, is going to get away with a "cheapo" wedding, especially the heir to the heir to the throne.

No body but the royal family will be planning that wedding.

If I were a British taxpayer, I really wouldn't mind if I had to pay something for the royal wedding. I would rather pay for some happy postive event than something else.

Honestly, the Daily Mail is the absolute worst some times. Thank goodness, no one has bitten the bullet. They seem to imply that Pippa only got the job so she could plan the wedding of William and Kate. God forbid that she moved companies for a better opportunity or that she hasn't planned any big events in the past.

If there is a wedding to be had, it will be planned by Buckingham Palace and/or Lady Anson. I believe she has planned a lot of events including the Queen's 80th birthday.

Why doesn't Pippa do her own events planning via the family business? Certainly they could benefit from adding that to their existing business? Seems like they have been adding several new parts to it in the last year or so and she would probably stand to make a little bit more money than working for an outside company.

Why doesn't Pippa do her own events planning via the family business? Certainly they could benefit from adding that to their existing business? Seems like they have been adding several new parts to it in the last year or so and she would probably stand to make a little bit more money than working for an outside company.

Because then they would have even more ammo to suggest that the Middletons were preparing for a royal wedding.
She obviously wants to get away from the family business so why not let her.

I do find it interesting that we are now hearing the same ideas put forward with regard to William - Charles should step down in favour of William, William is the 'saviour' of the House of Windsor etc. To me it smakes of ageism - the Queen was in her 50s and 60s when these ideas were put forward and Charles the youngster in his 20s and 30s but now we are one generation further on.

Spot on. I believe it all comes from the more popular womens' magazines; they rarely have anyone on the covers who are in the older bracket, or look as though they are. They're all still desperately looking for another 'cash cow' like Princess Diana.

:previous:Exactly. The only way you can sell headlines with Charles these days is to point out all the ways in which it appears his marriage to Camilla is on the rocks. The papers never really cover his public engagements unless they get a picture of Charles and Camilla looking unhappy.

William, on the other hand, easily sells papers, which is why the media would love to see him become king instead of Charles.

More desperate attempts by the DM to fill column inches!!!!
Maybe they are also prompting the marriage idea along...for Wills and Kate
But the article does make sense....

The DM is pushing the idea of the "cooling off" of the Wales marriage. They can find pictures to go with whatever story they're selling. ;)

Interesting... and to think the DM used Charles and Camilla's picture to support the article...

So fellow posters, when do we think the engagement / wedding will be? My guess is a wedding next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom