William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine Kate moving to New York if she can still see William now and then or perhaps most weekends.

'Long-term girlfriend' sounds like a good description.

I think she should be "companion"

That came from a comment Wisteria made.
They met in 2001, and there have been many rumours that they have been dating since then.
It was official in 2005. :)

Please don´t put words into my post that weren´t there. I explained we were talking about long term relationships. :flowers:

Please don´t put words into my post that weren´t there. I explained we were talking about long term relationships. :flowers:

It was meant to mean that the discussion about mistresses came from a comment made by you, with the introduction of Freda Dudley Ward.
:)

Long-term girlfriend seems appropriate.

:previous:

Pax. Long-term girlfriend. :flowers:

In the photos we see she always looks quite happy in whatever position she is, or perhaps she is just happy to be with William. Let us hope it works out satisfactorily for her. IMO William will be able to do anything and he will still be heir to the heir and if there is any criticism it will be muttered not shouted.

Following the anouncement over the weekend of William not wanting to be shadow King and wanting to pursue a career in the SAR in the medium term, I think the whole issue of his potential wedding to Kate comes alive again. IMO, the wedding will be in 2010 or 2011, and William will continue to graduallyincrease his public profile without actively taking up royal duties full time. Kate will probably have a "soft launch" following the wredding, supporting a few chosen causes and supporting HM, the DoE and Camilla in their engagements.

Following the anouncement over the weekend of William not wanting to be shadow King and wanting to pursue a career in the SAR in the medium term, I think the whole issue of his potential wedding to Kate comes alive again. IMO, the wedding will be in 2010 or 2011, and William will continue to graduallyincrease his public profile without actively taking up royal duties full time. Kate will probably have a "soft launch" following the wredding, supporting a few chosen causes and supporting HM, the DoE and Camilla in their engagements.

Thats sounds about right actually ! If it wasn't for the election, I think it all would happen this year, and I think without doubt the engagement rumour will be in absolute overdrive by Christmas this year. A summer 2011 wedding seems an absolute spot on time to do the deed. It will be election and politics this summer, wedding 2011, and jubilee and olympics in 2012... seems the correct way to spread out three very eventful occasions properly.

I wonder how we should be referring to Kate -

- getting too old to be 'girlfriend'

- what about 'significant other'

- OR 'better half'

- 'companion' is the correct term either

Suggestions anyone?

She can be called a long-time girlfriend and they are in a long-term relationship. I don't see how a person can be considered too old to be a girlfriend. She is neither a fiance, wife or mistress.

Also, I wanted to state what I feel about the situation with William and Kate. I get the feeling that he is not ready for marriage, maybe he feels he's not prepared enough emotionally. He might consciously or subconsciously have issues about how his parent's marriage disintegrated. I don't feel that election, golden jubilee, Olympics are necessarily the only reason, they might be part of it in terms of logistics of the wedding, but I feel there is a deeper issue here. Because if the wedding is being held back just because of the events etc, another event might spring up in 2013 or 2014, and if they kept going at that rate, I don't when they'll get married.

In my opinion I don't think they willl marry, or I don't think they will marry for quite a long time. :)

I feel he should change somethings in his relationship with Kate. Move it forward i.e. take it to the next logical step which is marriage, if not marriage then at least a higher level of commitment i.e. a live-in relationship (but I don't know if that's good for the image) or just let each other go. I don't think their relationship should stay on the same level for too long, it sours the relationship when there is no growth. Kate, who I feel has more to lose, might start having doubts about where the relationship is headed. But, because she has given so many years to the relationship, might feel its best to stay in it.

If i'm correct it's been a thing of the BRF not to live together until they are married. Also William is training most of the time, therefore Kate would be on her own.

In my opinion I don't think they willl marry, or I don't think they will marry for quite a long time. :)

Isn't that a contradiction? Peter and Autumn lived together so do Zara and Mike. Of course, William is closer to the throne but Sophie lived with Edward for a bit. I imagine the Queen wouldn't be too thrilled about it but also wouldn't not like a divorce. Either way, if William is in the armed services he isn't living with Kate.

I feel he should change somethings in his relationship with Kate. Move it forward i.e. take it to the next logical step which is marriage, if not marriage then at least a higher level of commitment i.e. a live-in relationship (but I don't know if that's good for the image) or just let each other go. I don't think their relationship should stay on the same level for too long, it sours the relationship when there is no growth. Kate, who I feel has more to lose, might start having doubts about where the relationship is headed. But, because she has given so many years to the relationship, might feel its best to stay in it.

IMO William should marry her because he loves her, wants to have a family with her and grow old with her. He shouldn't marry her because they have been dating forever. I had a girlfriend who dated a guy for six years and was divorced after two...during counseling he said he married her because it just seemed like the next step after dating so long. To me that just means you should have broken up sooner.

As I have said before if this doesn't work out, both William and Kate have no one to blame but themselves. Kate wouldn't be the first woman to put all of her eggs in a basket and it doesn't end up at the altar and she wouldn't be the last.

I do agree that perhaps William is using his parents marriage as a guide for What Not To do. He has said in the past that he is not ready for marriage, perhaps we should take him at his word.

It wouldn not be surprised if they didn't marry. They both started at the same point, but William has worked with the military and seen a bit of the world. It wouldnt surprise me if he outgrew her. William lives in a bubble, so its going to be hard for him to meet someone else and date her. Look at what happened to Harry when he broke up with Chelsy. Every person and their mother who he looked at and articles about them, their family and daily histories written in the Daily Mail for a week!

I know that's why I said previously that its really not good for their image. Its frowned upon as well as the reason you gave, William's training. I just wanted to state that a live in relationship might be a logical step for a couple who don't want to get married yet but don't want to remain just boyfriend/girlfriend either. Clearly in the case of this couple, that's not possible.

I guess I didn't state it clearly before, but I meant to say that he should marry her if he feels he's ready to take the relationship to the next level. If not then let go. But, some change should definitely take place. Because, IMO the relationship is now sorta like a safety crutch. William lives in a bubble, as you said above, and it'll be hard for him to date someone else. IMO, he feels he should just stay with Kate and not venture out. But, I don't know how fulfilling such a relationship would be for the couple, if he were to stay with her for just that reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
People who live together before marriage have a higher rate of divorce. So, statistically speaking, regardless of "image", it would be wiser for them not to live together before marriage.

If i'm correct it's been a thing of the BRF not to live together until they are married.

Really?
I always assumed it would be the other way around.
That people who had lived together, who knew each other would last longer. :)

Unfortunately for us, I think he will marry her. And most likely...sorry to say...divorce.

The problem for William is that he does have his parents marriage (and that of Charles marriage to Camilla) as guide. He knows he has to get it right because if he doesn't it can go horribly wrong (i.e. Charles and Diana).

He knows that his father met his true love when he was younger and because he dithered and honestly, she wasn't really PoW potential because of her history (it was the 70's not a slam towards her but times were different). But anyway...he met the love of his life when he was young and William doesn't want that to happen to him. So with that in mind, he is hesitant to let her go.

What he needs to realize is that he is not his parents and he can't live their marriage but rather learn from their mistakes.

For Charles marrying at 32 was the right thing the problem was he picked the wrong bride. Having met and loved Camilla, he did date quite a bit before marrying Diana. Sp he knew what he didn't want...the problem is that she was married to someone else and he thought he could marry a young, nice sweet girl who thought the world of him.

William needs to do this..he needs to meet and date other woman. He needs to discover what he doesn't want. He needs someone who is not saftey net (because they met at college, they care about each other and she knows him). He needs something else. He needs someone who understands his position (hello British aristocracy, who has worked a bit and has world experiences). He needs someone who is not Kate.

And if they do break up, he will be the one to do it. She wont'. She won't rock the boat by putting pressure on him or telling him to marry her. No way.

Last edited:
If i'm correct it's been a thing of the BRF not to live together until they are married. Also William is training most of the time, therefore Kate would be on her own.

I agree, it wouldn't make a big change for them, JMHO. And as far as I know there has been no couple in the BRF which was living together before a marriage...

IMO William should marry her because he loves her, wants to have a family with her and grow old with her. He shouldn't marry her because they have been dating forever. I had a girlfriend who dated a guy for six years and was divorced after two...during counseling he said he married her because it just seemed like the next step after dating so long. To me that just means you should have broken up sooner.

As I have said before if this doesn't work out, both William and Kate have no one to blame but themselves. Kate wouldn't be the first woman to put all of her eggs in a basket and it doesn't end up at the altar and she wouldn't be the last.

I agree wholeheartedly. You can never know which game life (or destiny) plays with you. Maybe they are soulmates and their longterm relationship will end up in marriage, maybe they will split within the next two years and each one of them will find the love of his life later. Important IMO is to get to know each other really well. After reading this threads for almost a year, I indeed would feel a bit sorry for Kate if it wouldn't end up in marriage. BUT: of course William doesn't owe her anything and who knows which positive experiences Kate gained during her years as his girlfriend or whatever we will call it?

It wouldn not be surprised if they didn't marry. They both started at the same point, but William has worked with the military and seen a bit of the world. It wouldnt surprise me if he outgrew her. William lives in a bubble, so its going to be hard for him to meet someone else and date her. Look at what happened to Harry when he broke up with Chelsy. Every person and their mother who he looked at and articles about them, their family and daily histories written in the Daily Mail for a week!

I agree it's hard for both the Princes, but maybe they should search within the bubble then if there will be a next time? ;) I know that's easy to say, Love goes where love will go.

:previous:
He needs to find his "Camilla" shall we say.
But fingers crossed she isn't married with 2 children. :flowers:

People who live together before marriage have a higher rate of divorce. So, statistically speaking, regardless of "image", it would be wiser for them not to live together before marriage.

Could you provide me with those statistics? Even if the according to statistics a couple living together prior to marriage has a higher rate of divorce than couple not living together. I wouldn't discount the fact that statistics are many a times are skewed and one shouldn't make a definitive choice in life based on them. Such as, I wouldn't make the choice to live together or not based solely on some statistic. I would do it if I feel its better for my relationship and mine only and wouldn't really bother with what other couples are doing. But, in the case of William and Kate they can't live together because its simply not done in the BRF. If it were done, I don't think a statistic would hold them back.

But, in the case of William and Kate they can't live together because its simply not done in the BRF. If it were done, I don't think a statistic would hold them back.

Maybe it isn't for the heir to the heir but it has certainly been happening in the BRF with both Anne's children living with their partners - Peter with Autumn and Zara and Michael actaully own a home together but aren't engaged.

And as far as I know there has been no couple in the BRF which was living together before a marriage...

I think the Earl and Countess of Wessex lived together before they were married.

Maybe it isn't for the heir to the heir but it has certainly been happening in the BRF with both Anne's children living with their partners - Peter with Autumn and Zara and Michael actaully own a home together but aren't engaged.

I would think that might be the reason. William being in the spotlight, the others not so much. After all he's a future king, he'll get special treatment, in this case maybe to his detriment.

Btw, I think we should rephrase the statement, "that no one in the BRF lived together prior to marriage." BRF is pretty big, there is bound to be someone who did, and as others have already mentioned above, indeed couples such as Edward/Sophie, Peter/Autumn, Zara/Michael have lived together prior to marriage. I guess, the heir and family are given a different set of rules to follow.

William needs to do this..he needs to meet and date other woman. He needs to discover what he doesn't want. He needs someone who is not saftey net (because they met at college, they care about each other and she knows him). He needs something else. He needs someone who understands his position (hello British aristocracy, who has worked a bit and has world experiences). He needs someone who is not Kate.

:lol: A pity we have no "thumps-up-smiley". I can only agree with your advices. I always thought that it's rather odd that Kate seems to be his only serious and longterm girlfriend. How will you know the difference between women? But otherwise it could speak for a really deep connection between them that they're still together. I'm a bit torn.

I think the Earl and Countess of Wessex lived together before they were married.

I didn't know that. But I still think it wouldn't be likely for the heir to the heir?

I don't think its possible for William because he is the future Head of the Church. You know...he should be held to a higher standard than everyone else. That kind of thing.

In reference to my earlier posts it should be noted that I have nothing against Kate. For all we know, she seems like a nice girl. I realize we don't know her but with each other royal girlfriends/brides I got something...a vibe. Diana appeared to be a sweet girl with a twist of sadness. Fergie seemed like she was fun. Sophie steady and loyal. Camilla I didn't like because of how everything went down but I can concede that she appears to be loyal and has a calming presence. And IMO all of these women have brought to the BRF exactly what I thought (with a whole lot more!).

With Kate I got nothing. Like empty space. As one of my friends says....what does she bring to the table?

With Kate I got nothing. Like empty space. As one of my friends says....what does she bring to the table?

I get the same thing - nothing - but that is exactly what I think William is looking for - someone who will be there but nothing more - just there.

I get the same thing - nothing - but that is exactly what I think William is looking for - someone who will be there but nothing more - just there.

And that is the problem...he needs a combination of Diana, Fergie, Brigitte and Camilla.

From Diana, he needs someone who can just jump in the BRF and star performing engagements at his side and alone. When Diana was a worker bee for the BRF she was on and good. Its the other stuff that wasn't so good.

From Fergie he needs the passion. When Fergie was good and not causing drama for the BRF you got excitement. You got energy and personality (a little too much at times but sometimes it was good). And I am sorry....Andrew when he was with Fergie before the drama was a good Andrew. You could just see the electricity between them. All you need to do is look at the tapes when they first got engaged. Andrew's look was like WOW I can't believe this woman loves and gets me. William needs that. No safety zone for him.

From Brigitte he needs someone who can work like Diana but without the negative of Diana ---- attracting press for all the wrong reasons. Let's face it the press is always going to love a pretty girl and focus on her looks and her clothes. But you can do so without telling the world all of your baggage.

From Camilla he needs smoeone who is his soulmate, completes him and gives him a calming presence.

Not sure if Kate is that person.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why it works this way, unless people who live together assume that marriage will be a continuation of the same, and it's not. I'll try to find that statistic.

Really?
I always assumed it would be the other way around.
That people who had lived together, who knew each other would last longer. :)

Well...from my friends who lived together and then got married...they told me that it was totally different. i.e. ...living together is not the same as being married. Maybe some people can't handle it...and never should have gotten married and the only level of commitment they could do is living together. Marriage isn't for everyone.

Plus I think its the point that with living together one person can just leave. With marriage....in order toleave a marriage it takes a LOT MORE THAN THAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom