William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that William's wedding will be low-key, because he's in direct line for the throne. OTOH it won't be the scale of Charles and Diana's either, because he's not yet the Prince of Wales.:flowers:

Their wedding would be fairly low-key, right? I mean I this isn't going to be a public Diana and Charles wedding, is it?

Their wedding would be fairly low-key, right? I mean I this isn't going to be a public Diana and Charles wedding, is it?

There is no way that the 2nd in line to the British throne can have a low key wedding. His wife would be the future Queen and he is a future King.

Both Anne and Andrew had very large and public weddings despite, at the time of their weddings being 4th in line to the throne - Anne was 4th in 1973 behind her brothers and Andrew had dropped to 4th by 1986 behind Charles, William and Harry.

I would expect, at least something of that scale for William.

Edward's was far more low key but by the time he married he had dropped to his current position of 7th.

Do you think his lower-key wedding was solely due to his position in the line of succession as opposed to possibly also taking into account changed public expectations? There was a more than ten-year gap between Andrew's wedding and Edward's, with the whole Diana explosion and a couple of other failed marriages having happened in the meantime.

Last edited:
Do you think his lower-key wedding was solely due to his position in the line of succession as opposed to possibly also taking into account changed public expectations? There was a more than ten-year gap between Andrew's wedding and Edward's, with the whole Diana explosion and a couple of other failed marriages having happened in the meantime.

I wouldn't expect the Charles/Diana extravaganza but I wouldn't expect the low-key approach of the Edward/Sophie.

:previous:
I thought Kate might of attended the polo this weekend, according to a post in William and Kate engagements they also were spotted at a wedding this weekend.

I doubt very much that William's wedding will be low key. He is the heri to throne and his wife will be the future Queen. Of course it will be a public OTT wedding like Charles and Diana's probabley even more so, now that we have hit the 21st Century. The public wouldn't let William and his Fiancee do things by half, and I don't think the royal family or the government would either.

I thought Kate might of attended the polo this weekend, according to a post in William and Kate engagements they also were spotted at a wedding this weekend.

The Laura Fellowes wedding was last weekend, actually, on May 30. William played polo on both Saturday and Sunday this weekend, but Kate was only photographed at the Sunday event.

:previous:

I doubt very much that William's wedding will be low key. He is the heri to throne and his wife will be the future Queen. Of course it will be a public OTT wedding like Charles and Diana's probabley even more so, now that we have hit the 21st Century. The public wouldn't let William and his Fiancee do things by half, and I don't think the royal family or the government would either.

Just a small correction.

William is NOT the heir to the throne. His father Charles is the heir to the throne. William is the heir to the heir to the throne.

It annoys me when people say that William is the heir to the throne as they are excluding Charles from the line of succession, and that is incorrect.

As the grandson of the Monarch, and with the current economic situation. I think if and when William marries, it will be more on the scale of Andrew and Sarah. Which I think was a happy medium between the Charles/Diana and Edward/Sophie weddings.

You don't want to do something too outlandish but he will be King one day. And let's face it.....while a wedding will cost a lot of money...it will also generate a lot of revenue. I am talking the souvenirs, people coming to town for the wedding..this increases money spent in tourism, etc. So it won't be small. It might also generate some monarchist and national feelings. People love weddings!

When I say low-key I mean along the lines of not inviting the whole public to line the streets while they roll down the center in a car or carriage waving. I think that might be way over-the-top for today. I can see doing some kind of exclusive with HELLO! or with the BBC to view pictures and video, but don't you think a full-on public wedding seems a bit tacky for this era?

Maybe if the economy recovers enough by the time they get married people will feel differently. Then again I don't live in The UK so I don't know how people feel about it overall. Maybe the public would like a big public wedding.

When I lived in England (only a few years ago), people still lined the streets, albeit on a much much smaller scale than Charles 'n Di's wedding, to see The Queen ride by on the way to the State Opening of Parliament.

If there's a royal wedding, there will be people who want to see the couple, and they'll line the streets. They're not invited to do so, exactly, I don't believe -- it's just expected that they will, and so security measures are taken.

They even lined the streets for Charles' "low-key" wedding to Camilla, so I don't think hiding it will be successful.

and they have no reason to have a low key wedding, it is a big event and I will be glued with some friends to the tv, as we did at the wedding of Charles & Diana

They even lined the streets for Charles' "low-key" wedding to Camilla, so I don't think hiding it will be successful.

When I lived in England (only a few years ago), people still lined the streets, albeit on a much much smaller scale than Charles 'n Di's wedding, to see The Queen ride by on the way to the State Opening of Parliament.

If there's a royal wedding, there will be people who want to see the couple, and they'll line the streets. They're not invited to do so, exactly, I don't believe -- it's just expected that they will, and so security measures are taken.

I like your Kate blog, btw, the formatting is very clean and chic. :flowers:

Well I guess most people would enjoy a big party then, I agree it would be a cool event to see. But it is a shame they probably can't pull a JFK Jr. and Carolyn Bessette and just slip away to some random secluded area.

I like your Kate blog, btw, the formatting is very clean and chic. :flowers:

Thanks, zembla! :flowers:

Well I guess most people would enjoy a big party then, I agree it would be a cool event to see. But it is a shame they probably can't pull a JFK Jr. and Carolyn Bessette and just slip away to some random secluded area.

Honestly, if I were them, I'd run away to the part of the Balmoral estate that they love so much and have a private, romantic wedding and then come back and do the big public thing. Being a royal means you're constantly divided between your public self and your private self -- why not have a wedding for each one?

William's wedding will have the carriages etc and the people lining the streets.

It is more just a matter of how long the procession will be and that will be determined by the venue.

How many pre-wedding activities will also have to be considered e.g. will there be a full State dinner on the evening before and what about a wedding ball etc.

The people will insist on lining the streets and want to see the carriages with the RF on display, along with the gold carriage taking the bride to the venue.

because that would be selfish:flowers:

Thanks, zembla! :flowers:

Honestly, if I were them, I'd run away to the part of the Balmoral estate that they love so much and have a private, romantic wedding and then come back and do the big public thing. Being a royal means you're constantly divided between your public self and your private self -- why not have a wedding for each one?

When I say low-key I mean along the lines of not inviting the whole public to line the streets while they roll down the center in a car or carriage waving. I think that might be way over-the-top for today. I can see doing some kind of exclusive with HELLO! or with the BBC to view pictures and video, but don't you think a full-on public wedding seems a bit tacky for this era?

Maybe if the economy recovers enough by the time they get married people will feel differently. Then again I don't live in The UK so I don't know how people feel about it overall. Maybe the public would like a big public wedding.

The people will line the streets for Williams wedding. I doubt they will do some Hello! or BBC exclusive they wouldn't need to. I think a full on public wedding wouldn't be tacky, it's probably what the public needs a Moral boost. And this is the BRF we are talking about, nothing they do is tacky.

How many pre-wedding activities will also have to be considered e.g. will there be a full State dinner on the evening before and what about a wedding ball etc.

The people will insist on lining the streets and want to see the carriages with the RF on display, along with the gold carriage taking the bride to the venue.

There will probably be a concert of some sort and a dinner before the wedding day. Possible a salute from the forces, or a public concert maybe.
Anybody know what was done before Charles and Diana's wedding or Edward and Sophies?

The people will line the streets for Williams wedding. I doubt they will do some Hello! or BBC exclusive they wouldn't need to. I think a full on public wedding wouldn't be tacky, it's probably what the public needs a Moral boost. And this is the BRF we are talking about, nothing they do is tacky.

There will probably be a concert of some sort and a dinner before the wedding day. Possible a salute from the forces, or a public concert maybe.
Anybody know what was done before Charles and Diana's wedding or Edward and Sophies?

I agree that it is unlikley that William will have a small wedding. My guess is that the wedding will probably be at Westminister Abbey, and the route from the palace to the Abbey and back will be kept limited to reduce the costs of the security apparatus. In keeping with the current economic climate, (and depending on the timing of the wedding) I suspect the wedding celebrations themselves will be limited to a wedding reception after the wedding, and possibly something the previous evening for the gathered royalty. It would be nice though if they had a proper royal wedding ball that was a tiara event - but I am not sure the BRF have had one of those for a long time.

I believe there was a white tie ball for Charles and Diana's Wedding at Buckingham Palace the evening before the Wedding Day but it was private and there have been never hotos appeared from it.

I know there was a fireworks display, because I remember Diana saying she was disappointed she couldn't go see it, as she had to be in bed early that night.

I'd love to see them do another event like the Concert for Diana as a part of the wedding week to raise money for charity. It would be a fun way to get the public involved in the celebrations and to benefit some of the causes they champion.

Last edited:
I hope they have a big outragous wedding one to be compared to his parents. I know things are bad right now with money but the royal's have money and we all know it. So for something like this(if/or when) it happens let them spend it!!! They will still have the money even if they don't so why not?

Well now that we seem to have made all the wedding arrangements, now it is up to William to name the bride and up until now - nothing. It might be Kate, and then again it might not be
We have verything in place, the church, the wedding ball, the route, the bridgroom but there is an important piece missing......the bride. The questions are not only "where" "when" but the very essential "who"?

I think its very likely Kate is going to be William's princess. Those two have been together for so long, they seem very happy together. If they do spilt, it would take something massive to break them up.

It does seem like it would take something earth-shattering, Sonjapearl. They had that brief public break-up back in summer '07, and they weathered that. I'd agree that Kate's here to stay. They seem devoted to each other.

I, for one, am hoping that the "who" will be Kate! They have been together for so long now and I see no end for them.

I, for one, am hoping that the "who" will be Kate! They have been together for so long now and I see no end for them.

Well there is two ways for deare Catherine. One is a wedding, and we all know the other.

I've never had a good feeling about Kate to be honest, there is something about her that I can't just seem to put my finger on. But if she makes William happy then.

As the grandson of the Monarch, and with the current economic situation. I think if and when William marries, it will be more on the scale of Andrew and Sarah. Which I think was a happy medium between the Charles/Diana and Edward/Sophie weddings.

You don't want to do something too outlandish but he will be King one day. And let's face it.....while a wedding will cost a lot of money...it will also generate a lot of revenue. I am talking the souvenirs, people coming to town for the wedding..this increases money spent in tourism, etc. So it won't be small. It might also generate some monarchist and national feelings. People love weddings!
With all due respect I highly doubt there will be thousands of people lining the streets of London if they were to marry tomorrow.

A very large proportion of people have very little time for William or Harry and view them as over-privileged spoilt brats. Harry seems to fare slightly better as a result of his stint in Afghanistan. Add to that the fact a lot of people aren't overly fond of Kate Middleton and you have a recipe for apathy.

I think that, once the press machine gets going, a lot of people would show up for a Royal wedding.

With all due respect I highly doubt there will be thousands of people lining the streets of London if they were to marry tomorrow.

A very large proportion of people have very little time for William or Harry and view them as over-privileged spoilt brats. Harry seems to fare slightly better as a result of his stint in Afghanistan. Add to that the fact a lot of people aren't overly fond of Kate Middleton and you have a recipe for apathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom