William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect I highly doubt there will be thousands of people lining the streets of London if they were to marry tomorrow.

A very large proportion of people have very little time for William or Harry and view them as over-privileged spoilt brats. Harry seems to fare slightly better as a result of his stint in Afghanistan. Add to that the fact a lot of people aren't overly fond of Kate Middleton and you have a recipe for apathy.

Honestly, these are the only 2 children of Diana, i think that might have an impact aswell. Heir the thrones. I don't think a large proportion of people believe they are over-priveliged brats? And who are we to judge if we had that title, how would we deal with having the burden of being a future king?

And to be honest I think William is better of than Harry, William has kept his nose out of trouble more than Harry. But yes he would win favour for his stint in Afghanistan.

Well I hate to burst a few people bubbles but the fact that these are Diana's children is neither here nor there. Diana may still be an icon around the globe but these days plenty of people in the UK take a very different view of her.

The average person on the street is more wrapped up in their own woes and quite frankly the Britian's Got Talent probably mustered more public interest than any wedding between William and Kate.

The average person on the street is more wrapped up in their own woes and quite frankly the Britian's Got Talent probably mustered more public interest than any wedding between William and Kate.

Not world wide i don't think. People will travel from all over the world I think to see a wedding involving william. Nobody said he would be marrying Kate. This of course is only my opinion, as we are all entitled to our own.

I sincerely doubt there will be many people who will fly thousands of miles to see William get married.

Why would they?

Fair enough right now, but if they do get engaged, the press and the media are going to be splashing it all over the television screens and newspaper pages of every outlet in Britain and all over the world. Everyone may be thinking about Diversity and Susan Boyle right now, but the inevitable media coverage will likely spark at least a mild interest in the average Briton, I'd wager.

Perhaps among certain generations and classes.

However, the idea that the people of Britain are going to feel warm and fuzzy inside, line the streets of London in their droves and rejoice at a Royal wedding is a very antiquated idea imho.

Younger generations are unlikely to feel warm and fuzzy about Prince William's wedding because they are more, shall we say, cynical.

Those generalizations about people based on age and class status make me a bit uncomfortable -- they're oversimplifying the situation, IMO.

But regardless, I think that the general opinion that William will have a fairly large wedding, in London, with an expected presence from interested spectators, is pretty accurate.

I sincerely doubt there will be many people who will fly thousands of miles to see William get married.

Why would they?
Because Hellllloooo! It's history. Living breathing history. I would. But Mr. Russo wouldn't care.
Hey Udy, you up for a trip to London if Wills ties the knot? I've got time shares. I'll cook!:D

Those generalizations about people based on age and class status make me a bit uncomfortable -- they're oversimplifying the situation, IMO.

But regardless, I think that the general opinion that William will have a fairly large wedding, in London, with an expected presence from interested spectators, is pretty accurate.
I agree, I think the that big occasions tend to bring out those who normally don't have a great deal of interest in the Royals. I always remember people saying how most wouldn't want to celebrate in 2002 but thing turned out differently. When he does marry I can see him having a large wedding with many, many people there to see it.

Of course, it will be a large wedding because noblesse oblige. Prince William stands to inherit the throne. There will be some spectators, who may or may not feel warm and fuzzy about the royal wedding. That is all.

That's fair, Al_bina. I'm sure some will come because they feel genuine affection for William, Diana, or The Queen; some will show up because, as Russophile rightly pointed out, they'll be participating in history; some will be dragged along by spouses, friends, or family; some will just want to gawk at the big gold carriage and the wedding dress; and some will just show up out of curiousity. Regardless, they'll show up.

I think its hard to judge.

Its important to note that people said the same thing (people dont care) at the Queen's jubliee, at her anniversary, at the death of the Queen Mother, the weddings of Charles/Diana, Sarah/Andrew, Edward/Sophie and yes Charles/Camilla. And yes, times have changed a couple of bad marriages, scandalous divorces, the celebrity of the anyone on Big Brother, the economy, etc.

But people will come...why...because (with all due respect to everyone else) NO ONE puts on a show like the British!

And so people will watch it on the telly, will make it their business to be in London, etc. It might not be the same crowds as in the past but it wont go on quietly.

Last edited:
But people will come...why...because (with all due respect to everyone else) NO ONE puts on a show like the British!

Thats quite right. If i didn't live in the UK I would travel to see Williams wedding. I will be travelling down when he does get married. I did for the Queens Jubliee, the death of the queen mother and princess margaret. Unfortunately I was at the Grand National celebrating my birthday the day Charles and Camilla got married. They're royals, they wil always to me anyway have an appeal to them. :flowers:

And as for events prior to a Wills wedding I would love.
- A Concert at wembley
- A salute from the forces
- Concert at the Albert Hall
- Formal dinner the night before.

Fab times. :):)

There are over 50,000,000 people in England alone. If only 10% of those people were interested, for whatever reason, that's 5,000,000, which is quite a crowd! I think the occasion is likely to inspire a higher percentage to go to London to be there for the festivities.

The heir's son's wedding is a part of history, and, as Zonk said, no-one puts on a show like the British! I'd love to see the gold carriage and all the other shiny things that get shown off on occasions like this. It's a long way from where I live and I don't like flying so I won't be there, but if it was just a day's drive down the road I'd be there with bells on!

Last edited:
Fair enough right now, but if they do get engaged, the press and the media are going to be splashing it all over the television screens and newspaper pages of every outlet in Britain and all over the world. Everyone may be thinking about Diversity and Susan Boyle right now, but the inevitable media coverage will likely spark at least a mild interest in the average Briton, I'd wager.
The media will help build up a frenzy and I think a majority of the British would want to celebrate, many will wish to line the streets. I don't know if there will be street parties in other parts of the country beforehand, but it will be big and as a grandchild of the monarch and son of the heir, many will want to be able to say 'I was there' or 'I took this photo', 'Ooh wasn't the bride lovely, I saw her you know', etc, etc.:D

Not everyone has any interest in Diversity or Susan Boyle. :flowers:

People will always come for these events if for no other reason but a sense of wanting to be a part of history. We went along to the jubilee celebrations just for that reason, and I know somebody whoi went to the funeral of the QM for similar reasons. Sure, the best views will always be on TV, but I would think a lot of people will want to be around at least one of the celebrations.

Digressing slightly, but its a low cost celebration day out for the family in these difficult times.

From my personal experience the day I spent in The Mall for the 60th anniversary of the end of World War II was sheer magic. Forget that I didn't get a great view of the events as such. It was being there and seeing the coach drive down and the Queen and Duke return in the open landrover with all those wonderful veterans. There was one old fellow who was absolutely determined to walk the full distance and constantly refused a life - he was cheered until he entered the gates. Then we madly rushed to a good view of the balcony. It was a wonderful day and one I will long remember. It was being there and part of the atmosphere not just sitting at home watching others have the fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no doubt at all that the occasion will be huge, even bigger than the Golden Jubilee (because that's in the nature of the event).

It's one of the rare occasions monarchy is all about. People will rally, if only to say "I was there" (agree with what sky said).

Having said that, the public's appreciation won't come for free. It will help if the wedding is seen as the right occasion at the right time and Buckingham Palace and Clarence House will have to orchestrate the right spin, with the couple presenting themselves as trustworthy people. If that works out - priceless. If not - a life time opportunity wasted.

Having said that, the public's appreciation won't come for free. It will help if the wedding is seen as the right occasion at the right time and Buckingham Palace and Clarence House will have to orchestrate the right spin, with the couple presenting themselves as trustworthy people. If that works out - priceless. If not - a life time opportunity wasted.

I agree completely, DoM. That's why I think it would be fabulous to see a wedding used as a way to support some of the couple's charity patronages. A concert would be a great way to do so (and William and Kate were instrumental in planning the Concert for Diana, so they've got experience). Selling commemorative pieces to benefit a charity would also be a great move on the part of the palace.

I think they could do some nice things to make the wedding both a celebration of their relationship and a celebration of Britain and its people.

I think we can say with some certainty that Kate will be William's bride. She can deal with the media attention well, she's clearly trust-worthy and she has never put a foot wrong in any big way to publicly embarrass herself, plus I just don't see him ending it again. Not many women will put up with his lifestyle, it comes with a lot of scrutiny.

That's the main reason I decided to bring up their wedding now, because Kate seems to be here to stay.

Zembla, I agree it is highly likely that Kate is the one!!!!!!!!!

I don't like Kate very much and I don't think I would be too happy if she became my Queen. I don't think she would cope with the pressure of being a royal wife and i think she would possible crack under pressure. On the other hand she does seem to make William so. It is of course his decison after all.

I don't think she would cope with the pressure of being a royal wife and i think she would possible crack under pressure.

How so? She hasn't cracked under the media pressure during the 5 years since it was revealed she was William's girlfriend. That shows Kate's got tough skin, and would likely survive being a royal.

How so? She hasn't cracked under the media pressure during the 5 years since it was revealed she was William's girlfriend. That shows Kate's got tough skin, and would likely survive being a royal.

I didn't mean the media she seems to be doing just fine. Although she has asked for police protection and I believe recieved it, Diana seemed to manage fine before her marraige without protection.

I meant the pressure of being a royal wife, not specifically media pressure. :)

Although she has asked for police protection and I believe recieved it, Diana seemed to manage fine before her marraige without protection.

As far as I know, any mentions of police protection have so far just been tabloid rumors, haven't they?

One thing she's got going for her: she's loyal. That goes a long, long way in the royal family.

I didn't mean the media she seems to be doing just fine. Although she has asked for police protection and I believe recieved it, Diana seemed to manage fine before her marraige without protection.

As I recall Diana did not manage fine at all behind the sences! I can remember her covering her face and saying in a couple interveiws how she thought it would stop and it never did (not saying I don't think some was sought out) and Diana's Father and Mother also made comments about their daughter being vertaully on her own before the engagement and how hard it was on her.

As I recall Diana did not manage fine at all behind the sences! I can remember her coving her face and saying in a couple interveiws how she thought it would stop and it never did (not saying I don't think some was sought out) and Diana's Father and Mother also made comments about their daughter being vertaully on her own before the engagement and how hard it was on her.

She managed with protection, which is more than can be said for Kate. Look I stated my opinion, your opinion differs and I respect that. The media buzz around ex-royals and royals will never stop, the cameras a still on Fergie. :flowers:

But, again, Kate doesn't have official royal protection officers, unless I've missed an article that was more than News of the World or Mail speculations. She has a lawyer that she's called to stop the increasingly intrusive media on more than one occasion, but I don't think she has a protection officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom