William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roslyn said:
This is the cover story in Australia's New Idea this week:

http://au.blogs.yahoo.com/new-idea/1748/wills-and-kates-2007-royal-wedding/
It's funny how the comments on the bottom of the article are congratulating them as if there's already been an official announcement of the engagement. As it has been said before, they are too young to get married. But everyone seems to forget one little detail and that if they announce an engagement, get married and Catherine adjust well into to all of that, then the pressure would be: when is Catherine going to get pregnant? Maybe (William and) she are ready to join their lives together forever, but are they ready to be parents? Because there was alot of pressure for Princess Alexandra of Denmark to get pregnant (and after five, I think, years of marriage she finally did) and she was married to the second in line for the throne. Imagine what it would be for William and Catherine!!!!!

if it was anyone but william i'd say take all the time you need...if you need 2 years or ten years. unfortunately he doesn't have that luxury. the pressure on charles was marry diana or move on. i hope william doesn't have that same pressure.

As soon as the announcment is made Kate has to quit her job. There is no way that she can work, it didn't work with Edward and Sophie and Kate is going to be under much more pressure.

Ok so now we have unemployed Kate and William in the army still. She can stay with him and be an officer wife. I doubt this is going to go over well, people will be expecting her to be a 'working' once she is married. So she becomes a working royal with a husband still in the army, so she gets to deal with her first few years of royal life by herself. Like that isn't going to be difficult enough, add on top of that baby pressure. I can't imagine any scernio in which it would be a good idea for them to get married when he was still in the army.

I find it very interesting that William said that he wouldn't get married until he was 28 or 30, the same age he will be when he is out of the army. Notice he didn't say "when I am older" or "not for a few years" He said a specific age which is the same when he is going to be expected to be a full time working royal. I think he knows exactly what he is doing, and unless he and Kate break up I wouldn't expect anything until 2010.

Duchess said:
if it was anyone but william i'd say take all the time you need...if you need 2 years or ten years. unfortunately he doesn't have that luxury. the pressure on charles was marry diana or move on. i hope william doesn't have that same pressure.

Charles was pressured into an announcement because of all the publicity they were getting and because Diana was unable to deal with the press of photographers (at this stage). She couldn't have royal protection unless they were engaged and it was unheard of for Prince Philip or the Queen to pay for protection for her themselves, as that would have been a signal that it was serious.

Catherine and William are not in the same position. Her parents are willing to pay for protection and so it seems is Charles. I believe that Charles would pay to protect any girlfriend of his son's. :flowers:

I am of the same opinion, Skydragon. :flowers:
Prince Charles obviously wants his son not to worry about his girlfriend, while he is away.

I agree with you but wonder why a) catherine's parents haven't provided any protection for her yet. b) why charles hasn't provided any protection for her yet. c) not to get off topic but diana's parents could've provided protection for her as well but didn't and i wonder why (perhaps because that type of press frenzy hadn't happened before)

Duchess said:
c) not to get off topic but diana's parents could've provided protection for her as well but didn't and i wonder why (perhaps because that type of press frenzy hadn't happened before)

Maybe she didn't want it to stop. :rolleyes:

Indeed. There was a British pianist who had alot of public attention which he detested. He was always complaining about the press etc. Well, time went on and he put on weight, went bald and was barely recognisable. I had the pleasure of being sat next to him at a dinner dance and after about an hour, he flounced off saying that he was furious as nobody had recognised who he was or asked for an autograph. People may say they don't like publicity but when it goes, they soon miss it. It's just one of those odd things much like the showbiz bug.

BeatrixFan said:
Indeed. People may say they don't like publicity but when it goes, they soon miss it. It's just one of those odd things much like the showbiz bug.

Perhaps you are right and Kate may have been liking the publicity initially. However, IMO, it can get pretty scary once you are being approached rather hurriedly and confusion can come on quite fast and Kate may be frightened now with all the attention outside her door, especially telephoto lens peering through the windows. The andrenolin is pumping and the fears grow that you might get hurt, especially, if your boyfriend had talked about the 'razzi' and the death of his mum.

Duchess said:
i agree with you but wonder why a) catherine's parents haven't provided any protection for her yet. b) why charles hasn't provided any protection for her yet.

Possibly with Catherine, the excessive media interest took them all a little by surprise. I think that she also felt she could handle it herself. Possibly Charles and her parents are helping her via the press complaints, solicitors and possible court action.

Can you imagine the headlines if they hired 2 or 3 bodyguards and one of them pushed a photographer out of the way?

I really feel sorry and nervous for this girl regarding the media & paparazzi. I hope she has the fortitude to deal with it should this engagement/marriage occur!

Diane

If you go to this link and scroll down the right hand side to the video section - the heading says William close to date or something like that.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/0,20295,,00.html

The piece says that William will 'pop' the question at the Diana concert or will introduce her as his future wife at that concert.

Personally I doubt if he would do it on that day - the concert to remember his mother is not the place to introduce his wife to the world IMO.

:bang: The concert is in June, Prince William is 22. And this guy spoke to Kate 'close friends' And with that I stopped watching.

Well I guess we have our new 'target' date since the Christmas engagment didn't ahppen.

Oppie said:
:bang: The concert is in June, Prince William is 22. And this guy spoke to Kate 'close friends' And with that I stopped watching.

Well I guess we have our new 'target' date since the Christmas engagment didn't ahppen.

I am so pleased that someone else got a laugh out of it.

Prince William is actually 24, and he will be 25 this June, but I still think that he will not be announcing Catherine or anyone else as his future bride at the Concert for Diana! :lol: Talk about crass! :ROFLMAO: I do think the members of the press have a vivid imagination.

Thanks chrissy57. It is so funny, what do these reporters do when their exclusives don't come true.

I have exclusive news...... Prince William may one day get married and I can reveal, (exclusively) that no one yet knows when! :lol:

Skydragon said:
Thanks chrissy57. It is so funny, what do these reporters do when their exclusives don't come true.

I have exclusive news...... Prince William may one day get married and I can reveal, (exclusively) that no one yet knows when! :lol:

Now I wonder why the media don't report that!!

It wouldn't sell would it?

But it was from an unnamed source! :lol:

Yet another article about the engagement. People can exclusively reveal the date of the marriage, no less (and of course, it has some reference to the wedding of Charles and Diana). :wacko:

WILLS & KATE NAME THE DAY: JULY 2008

Prince William will marry girlfriend Kate Middleton in July 2008, The People can reveal. That is the same month his mother Princess Diana wed Prince Charles in 1981.
William, now 24, had said he had no intention of getting hitched until he was at least 28. But advisers have convinced him that a delay would be grossly unfair on Kate, 25.​

I don't see the unfairness for Kate, because a lot of couples have long relationships before settling down (like prince Carl Philip).

Avalon said:
Prince William will marry girlfriend Kate Middleton in July 2008, The People can reveal. That is the same month his mother Princess Diana wed Prince Charles in 1981.

Of course they can! :rolleyes: Wasn't this rag, one of the ones that 'revealed' the new year proposal or was it christmas? :ROFLMAO:

Skydragon said:
Of course they can! :rolleyes: Wasn't this rag, one of the ones that 'revealed' the new year proposal or was it christmas? :ROFLMAO:
And don't forget the 'expected' engagement announcment during the concert! ;)

Avalon said:
And don't forget the 'expected' engagement announcment during the concert! ;)

Hello, does any tabloid journalist read this? I´ll give you the next headline:
It will happen at Williams 25th birthday, i´m sure....:lol:

I wonder why never ever in one of the tabloid the theory is mentioned that Catherine and William simply are modern people who have an agenda and go through with it.

And why not? It's not romantic, but why should they be when it is much more comfortable the other way round? They at the moment can have their cake and eat it. Catherine enjoys the pleasurable part of the prince's lifestyle without having to bother with the official duties - we learned several times that they could use some of the Royal haunts for weekends (In Balmoral and Sandringham) and who wants to see the future in-laws on a daily basis anyway? The paparazzi are mainly kept at bay at the moment, that will change once the engagement is confirmed. So the only thing Catherine is missing is the title and the curtseys - well, things like that can wait, can't they, when you're still young. Same for babies.... And if - if! - the house Charles is building at the moment at Harewood Park really is for them, they have all the time in the world to tell Charles and the constructors how they want it without having the interior editor of each mag in the world on their future doorstep for a look inside. I'd do it the same way, really!

A spokeswoman for William said: "We don't have anything to say on speculation of this kind."

That is the most important sentence in the whole stupid article. They don't have anything to say because there will be no wedding at this time. These tabloids are really getting on my nerves.​

What I find even more interesting is that there was no absolute denial that there is any truth to the rumor. A simple "Prince William will not be getting engaged or married to Kate Middleton this year or next, and there is absolutely no basis for these rumors, which are completely false" would suffice and put a stop to the fever pitch of these stories -- for this year anyway. But oh yeah, they don't comment on the princes' private lives. Not even to put a stop to the torture that William and his girlfriend needlessly endure because of this stupid and pigheaded rule.

William's obvious off-the-cuff remark that he wouldn't be getting married until he is 28 or 30, spoken like a kid with no conception of 28 or 30 years of age and no clue as to what or whom he would be involved with in the future is probably Exhibit A as to why he should have kept his mouth shut back then.

So if his statement is as true now as it was then, he can easily and emphatically deny these engagement stories through his spokesmen for this extraordinary circumstance or he can reiterate that infamous statement on the slopes or piste or whatever it's called. What are they waiting for??? Sure it might be humilitating to Kate, but she has the last laugh because she knows she'll eventually marry William barring her jumping up and doing the funky chicken in front of the Queen and Prince Phillip. :lol:

Luv2Cruise said:
William's obvious off-the-cuff remark that he wouldn't be getting married until he is 28 or 30, spoken like a kid with no conception of 28 or 30 years of age and no clue as to what or whom he would be involved with in the future is probably Exhibit A as to why he should have kept his mouth shut back then.

He probably said it because he couldn't imagine getting married then. Now he can imagine getting married and so his words are a lot more circumspect.

Ah well, I don't foresee any real problem unless he does as his father did and his 28th birthday comes by with no wife and no girlfriend to speak of.

I would find it odd if William married before his cousins--Zara and Peter Phillips. But if he did, I could understand why. If the Queen remains healthy, which its in her genes to do, until her mid-90s. I think an early marriage would suit him because William can settle into married life with Kate without the added pressures of royal duties. They could enjoy themselves while Charles and Camilla globe trot as the Prince and Princess of Wales fulling all of the royal commitments that William and Kate will someday inherit. I think William would found married life while young and without the serious obligation to duty hovering over head.

He should simple enjoy the "relative" peace with whom I suspect is his future bride while he can. Because the longer William waits the closer he gets to the end of days for grandma and daddy which equates to up-coming obligation to duty and service. Which I feel William has gotten by with relative ease thus far (and Harry).

originally posted by Luv2Cruise
What I find even more interesting is that there was no absolute denial that there is any truth to the rumor. A simple "Prince William will not be getting engaged or married to Kate Middleton this year or next, and there is absolutely no basis for these rumors, which are completely false" would suffice and put a stop to the fever pitch of these stories -- for this year anyway.

Actually I don't think this would help the William and Kate rumors at all unfortunately. I follow the Monaco family a lot and Prince Albert did just what you suggested above. To stop the rumors that he was going to marry his companion Charlene Wittstock, he went on worldwide television and declared he had NO INTENTIONS on marry in the near or distanct future.

So what was the result? a slew of magazines covers that said, 3 reasons why there will definitely be a marriage between the two and that the Prince was only trying to protect her from the media, they want it to be a surprise, and a bunch of other nonsense like that.

So if the palace or Prince William himself were to try to deny the rumors of an upcoming engagment to Kate, the opposite effect would happen and it would fuel the rumors even more so.

Tabloids will find whatever it takes to sell their magazine, they would event some reason for the denial as a confirmation that an engagment will take place soon. I know its funny but that seems to be how it works. :bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom