William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am afraid you have it completely wrong Shaiya. William is going to be King of England, is not that a catch for any social climbing girl, you couldn´t go higher than that.
Kate has nothing to qualify her for the "position" of Queen of England except she looks good in photographs and for some reason so many middle and lower middle-class girls have identified with her. Cinderella all over again. I think that this is all very well in story books but in real life it is almost impossible. I admit it has happened - but so far in Britain it hasn´t.

A marriage is so much more than getting a title. In fact, some wouldn't even want a relationship with William at all due to his title. When you ask what qualifies Kate, seriously, what qualifies William besides the fact that he was born into his role? Just because she's no Angelina Jolie doesn't mean that she should be dismissed. The role of William's wife should go to someone who he loves, not someone who is only good at playing the role of Queen. The fact that Kate and Will have been together for this long shows that there is something a lot more important than titles at play. I mean, by now wouldn't he be an expert on seeing which girls want the crown and which ones want him? We don't know too much about their relationship and who knows, he might be fighting to keep her, not the other way around.

I have a feeling that Kate is completely out of the race now so it is really wait and see. Chelsy is still there for sure, but Kate is either being hidden from sight and being what every seems to think she is - extremely discreet. One paper said that from being THE girlfriend she has become A girlfriend.
I find the argument of what qualifies William a little strange especially comparing what qualifies Kate for his wife even stranger. It shows a complete lack of understanding of history and the British royal family..... Anyway in my opinion this is a useless exercise, when Kate appears again with William it will be time to start commenting on her again. For the moment I feel she is trying to get her life back on course again and it is (if I am right) going to be very difficult for her. If Prince William has kept her on a string for so many years it is cruel but if she is as smart as everyone seems to think then she must have seen that it could happen.

Off Kings Road. Is this still South Kensington? Or already Chelsea?

Oakley Street runs from the Kings Road towards the river, conneting up to Albert Bridge. Its very much Chelsea, but this area (and South Ken) are part of the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea!

I find the argument of what qualifies William a little strange especially comparing what qualifies Kate for his wife even stranger. It shows a complete lack of understanding of history and the British royal family......

I don't have a lack of understanding of history, just the realization that William lives in different times. Yes, back when royal marriages were political treaties between two countries, no one cared about the qualities and character of the bridegroom (or bride) for that matter. Princes and princesses were expected to marry who their parents told them which had nothing to do with the character of the young people being married, procreate children no matter what their sexual orientation may be, and live long enough for the children to grow to adulthood. If they didn't like each other, they could have friendships on the side but marriage was for life.

William is not in that position. Charles and the Queen are not going to pick out a bride for him and force him to marry her. The British Royal Family doesn't have close contact with any of the other royal families who are the only ones who can imagine what royal responsibilities are and besides, those princesses don't want to marry a prince either.

William is probably going to pick a bride who from a class that is used to evaluating the character of the man as husband material. If he's going to pick out a bride from this class, being a jerk cuts down his available choices because it will turn off a lot of women who are probably very decent.

William's character is very important because it will influence the kind of woman that will likely say yes to him and her character will be very important. She will be a mother of a future King and will have a lot of influence on the monarchy. If William is a jerk, he is most likely to marry a woman who is equally a jerk regardless of how well she does in front of cameras and that could affect the dynamics of the family for years to come.

Are you suggesting Will might be a bit of a jerk? :rolleyes:

I am sorry Ysabel if I sounded as though I was doubting your knowledge of history, who could?
Actually I was questioning anyone thinking that Prince William was not an eligible young man, I am sure that at the moment he is the World´s most eligible bachelor.....
Now, young Kate, is she the most eligible young lady in the World......? a resounding no. She will make a good wife for someone I am sure, it is just that the opinion I interpreted was that William wouldn´t be a good catch for her.......as a man perhaps not, but as the future King of England?
Remember that silly TV programme, who wants to marry a millionaire? All those silly girls clamouring to marry one. Well just imagine a British edition "Who wants to marry Prince William"...... do you think anyone will apply to be a contestant?......mmmmm-
They would probably have to put barricades up for miles along the road from the studio door....

muriel said:
Are you suggesting Will might be a bit of a jerk? :rolleyes:

Well, he's done a couple of jerky things but its hard to tell, we'll have to see more of him. I always thought William's character was more important anyway since he will be King. The character of the King really determines the character of his reign. But in the meantime, the ease with which his new bride can acclimate herself to her role will be directly proportionate to how strong her bond with William is. The more mature and decent he is, the better chance he'll have of marrying a decent girl and having a strong marriage and a strong reign when his time comes to become King.

Well, he's done a couple of jerky things but its hard to tell, we'll have to see more of him.

What in your opinion are the jerky things that Will has done?

I am sorry Ysabel if I sounded as though I was doubting your knowledge of history, who could?
Actually I was questioning anyone thinking that Prince William was not an eligible young man, I am sure that at the moment he is the World´s most eligible bachelor.....
Now, young Kate, is she the most eligible young lady in the World......? a resounding no. She will make a good wife for someone I am sure, it is just that the opinion I interpreted was that William wouldn´t be a good catch for her.......as a man perhaps not, but as the future King of England?
Remember that silly TV programme, who wants to marry a millionaire? All those silly girls clamouring to marry one. Well just imagine a British edition "Who wants to marry Prince William"...... do you think anyone will apply to be a contestant?......mmmmm-
They would probably have to put barricades up for miles along the road from the studio door....

Hi Menarue, now I understand you. No offense taken, I assure you. :) Yes, I agree, as far as pulling off a brilliant marriage that is the envy of all your friends (like my mother used to say when a girl captured a society name for a husband) a girl couldn't do better than William. I doubt if my mother would say that William was making a brilliant match by catching Kate.

But its hard to see what men see as brilliant catches these days. They all seem to like models, even the princes. The men I know give their highest praise to a guy whose been able to snag a top model for a girlfriend or a wife. He's made it, in their terms, and has the ultimate trophy.

I think women still seem to want the prince but what men want in a woman (to show off to their friends) is far different than it was a few generations ago.

Why would a man who could have any woman he wants "settle" for someone he doesn't really care for?

I wish I could just 'wait around' with Prince William for five years and bide my time. Yes, yes, she has nooo chance... Prince William could have any woman he wanted but he's just settling for Kate and biding his time too - seven years of it.

:previous:

To a known royal quantity at the urging of his grandmother. To a woman of noble blood and virginal past that was the requirement of the day.

The royal family has no connections to Kate Middleton and no vested interest in seeing her become the next Princess of Wales.

It is an entirely different matter.

The question was why would a man who could have any woman settle for someone he didn´t care for. Charles did just that. Family pressure perhaps, but he did. I can´t see Prince William settling for someone he doesn´t care for. We will just have to wait and see if he cares for Kate enough. IMO he doesn´t, but we will know one day.

But it is exactly because his father did settle for someone that I believe that William will not do the same thing. When you grow up in the household of unhappily married people and have to sit by, as a child, while mud is publicly thrown, the last thing you want to do is repeat history.

The question was why would a man who could have any woman settle for someone he didn´t care for. Charles did just that. Family pressure perhaps, but he did. I can´t see Prince William settling for someone he doesn´t care for. We will just have to wait and see if he cares for Kate enough. IMO he doesn´t, but we will know one day.

I agree with you and also disagree with you. The part that disagrees is too much on the side of people who don't regard William as a great catch who can have "anyone." Speaking only for myself, I can say I would never be with him, and I believe it is safe to say I am the only person who would never court the royal life. Maybe the pre-Diana generations still had the fairy tale idea of royalty, but after the tell-alls and manipulations and exposes of the 80s and 90s, there seem to be plenty of women who just don't want the drama. Furthermore, there appears to have been plenty of women in William's society who flat out rejected the notion of being his girlfriend. We obviously can't know exactly what happened and we also don't know if it's true at least half the time about the reported romances and dalliances. Yet the name of a certain person (won't say her name because I know it's been mentioned too much here and it irks the moderators):D has been brought enough times to raise the suspicion that she, perhaps, is one such person who simply doesn't want the drama.

But let me grant you that all of the above is mere opinion and speculation. Except of course the part about myself. :cool:

I don't think that Charles didn't care for Diana in the early days of the relationship. From what I've read, the problem of their relationship was that they had no interests in common, she was very manipulative and, well we all no both made a lot of mistakes. Yes, he did chose her because she was suitable. But you can't compare british society from 1981 to 2008. Mentality is a little different, imo, though it's obvious that Uk still a conservative country in many social issues.

I beg to differ from those who think that Wills is the greatest catch for any woman. e is not the richest, the most powerful, or the sexiest man alive. It depends on what you are looking for.

But I agree with those that think that if KM was smarter, she wouldn't be trapped in Will's web. The hole situation is good just for him.

My prediction for 2009 is that they will break up, and this time for good. Imo, it will be boring not to have KM in the game, I do like her.

A reminder that this thread is still not about Chelsy.

A note to those who didn't read read kimebear's Moderator post immediately above:
This thread is not about Chelsy Davy nor is it a Kate vs Chelsy comparison debate. Those posts have been removed.
I trust this is now clear.

Warren
British Forums moderator

But I agree with those that think that if KM was smarter, she wouldn't be trapped in Will's web. The hole situation is good just for him.

My prediction for 2009 is that they will break up, and this time for good. Imo, it will be boring not to have KM in the game, I do like her.

Your prediction is interesting.

I am neutral about Kate. If she is or is not "The One" I don't care. What will be will be and it is stronger than any resistance we can put up. Resistance would actually empower it.

Your prediction is based on what - gut feelings?:)

There would be nothing wrong with it if his/her "gut feelings" triggered the prediction. The thread is about our musings. From my interpretation of the thread's title, I think "gut feelings" are legal here!!!!:lol:

I can totally see them breaking up and him rebounding with someone quickly to get married. But I do think they have an understanding at this point to end up together, Kate will be 27 soon...she's at an age where the immature relationship games should be fading.

With the average age of men marrying in the UK hovering around 30, they still have some time yet before they reach their sell-by date.

CasiraghiTrio wrote:I am neutral about Kate. If she is or is not "The One" I don't care. What will be will be and it is stronger than any resistance we can put up. Resistance would actually empower it.

You are completely right CAsiraghiTrio.

Georgiea, it's not my gut feeling. As a barrister, I don't like using it or my sixth sense. My prediction is just based on everything we have been reading (maybe some news are true, or simply big lies, but who knows??)

For the record: I like KM.

Sorry moderators for comparing KM to Chelsy, didn't know it's a taboo. But it's a little awkward that it's a forbidden issue, because it's nothing personal, we are just using public people as a way to understand the situation. However, i totally respect the rules and will never do it again.

Sorry to say that, but sometimes i think people tend to take everything we say too seriously. If we want to be like "The Economist", maybe there should be an examination to see if some people are able to take part of the forum.

From everything I've been reading, not just here, I think i should return to my complete silent participation.

Take care all and sorry again for breaking posting rules (i'm not being sarcastic).

You are completely right CAsiraghiTrio.

Georgiea, it's not my gut feeling. As a barrister, I don't like using it or my sixth sense. My prediction is just based on everything we have been reading (maybe some news are true, or simply big lies, but who knows??)

As a barrister, you must also be aware that if you base your thoughts and comments on incomplete or inaccurate information, your resulting analysis may well be incorrect. I have no idea what you read or where you get your information abut Kate, but I am a firm believer in GI-GO!

In most threads I would think it's very important to have careful and credibly sourced posts. But here, under the title of "musings and rumors," doesn't that seem to point the way to free thinking?
I might be wrong, but I think that this thread was created for the purpose of taking the kind of posts that are inappropriate for current events.

Why would a man who could have any woman he wants "settle" for someone he doesn't really care for?
Because he *can't* have any woman he wants. Though I am sure he cares for and like Kate.

Why do you think that he can't have any woman he wants? The last few marriages in the previous generation have pretty much been to whomever the royal spouse wanted. Charles and Camilla, Anne and Tm Lawrence, Edward and Sophie...all the way back to the Margaret Snowden Marriage....commoners all, some divorced, one of jewish family heritage, one of dubious sexual preference....all of these in 'the old days' would have been a deal breaker. Except the dubious sexual preference, of course. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom