William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is quite possible. Once they got married, or even engaged, people would be talking babies.

My pet theory about the reason that they've not gotten engaged yet (besides still being pretty young) is that they're not ready to start having children and being parents yet. I'd expect the Firm would want them -- to be medieval about it -- to "produce an heir" not long after getting married. Perhaps Kate isn't ready to be a mother yet, and that's part of the reason they've not announced an engagement.

How can we not judge her! We live in a 24/7 news cycle and Kate is out and about. She is like Madonna: Everything she does, says, eats, discards etc. etc. is news!
She is not like Madonna or any other public person because she doesn't get to answer back. She has no spokesperson, no officials to tell her side of things. When we are judging Kate we do so only with the information that media have decided to show us and never with anything from her side.

If she gets a high-profile job in her field i.e. curating a museum or something, the place will be besieged by paps and gawkers and others will say that she got the job only because of her connections. If she gets an entry-level job, she'll be accused of just filling in time and getting the job to look busy (because she doesn't need the money). If she works or studies without publicity, then it's assumed that she doesn't do anything. From what I've seen of Kate, I can't imagine the girl sitting around all day watching t.v. and eating chocolate.

It is for her OWN sake, I think she should get a job! Becoming a royal is an uphill struggle as it is, Denmark's Crown Princess Mary came with an impressive CV and yet she is having problems - so imagine what it will be like for Kate to enter royal life without the confidence and self-esteem you get from having had a job? All these commoners, who marry princes, have to bring something fresh to the table in order for the monarchies to stay in tune with the times - and if all Kate can bring is an "Access all Areas" passport from London's trendy nightclubs, then she and the British monarchy - in MY opinion - will be in dire straits.

She is not like Madonna or any other public person because she doesn't get to answer back. She has no spokesperson, no officials to tell her side of things. When we are judging Kate we do so only with the information that media have decided to show us and never with anything from her side.

She can tell us by showing us a good example. Living off your parents' money and your boyfriend's position plus shooting the odd photo for mum's and dad's catalogue is not a good example - in MY opinion.

I agree with this completely. I've often wondered how hard it must be for Kate and her family to sit back and take the negative, spiteful things written about them without replying. But that ability to sort of turn the other cheek to the media is something that will be an incredible asset to Kate if she and William do get married.

Kate has dignity and discretion, and that's something that no amount of employment or life experience can teach.

I agree with this completely. I've often wondered how hard it must be for Kate and her family to sit back and take the negative, spiteful things written about them without replying. But that ability to sort of turn the other cheek to the media is something that will be an incredible asset to Kate if she and William do get married.

- ...so imagine what it will be like for Kate to enter royal life without the confidence and self-esteem you get from having had a job?

are you saying that someone that doesn't work outside the home doesn't have confidence and self esteem? i understand what you're saying but since, and i'm only assuming here so please don't take offence, that since since we've never heard from her we don't know whether she lacks confidence or self esteem. i would say that she's got lots of self confidence or she wouldn't be in the position she's in...self esteem on the other hand is an entirely different matter and the best job in the world can't give you that.

are you saying that someone that doesn't work outside the home doesn't have confidence and self esteem? i understand what you're saying but since, and i'm only assuming here so please don't take offence, that since since we've never heard from her we don't know whether she lacks confidence or self esteem. i would say that she's got lots of self confidence or she wouldn't be in the position she's in...self esteem on the other hand is an entirely different matter and the best job in the world can't give you that.

Absolutely not. Having been a homemaker myself for 10 years, I know exactly how fulfilling it is to raise your children and look after your family. There is no better feeling that tucking a happy, tired child up in bed at night after a long day. What I am saying, however, is that someone in Kate's position could do with the confidence and selfesteem you gain from facing the challenges of a work life and dealing with them. Yes, she has a degree, but university life is still a sheltered existence. Showing up at a royal palace without that kind of "make up" you get from interacting with other people in sometimes stressfull situations and from solving problems, while multitasking, is in MY opinion not the best start for a princess. For Kate's sake - and for William's - she could find a job and stick with it for at least a year. It will do her a lot of good. and make her a better princess if and when the time comes!

Kate has dignity and discretion, and that's something that no amount of employment or life experience can teach.

It goes without sayint that Kate is discreet and dignified - otherwise she would not have made is as "far" as she has with Prince William. These assets can not be learned from having a job, I agree. But other very important skills,badly needed in a monarchy that wants to stay alive and well in our modern society, can definately be picked up. It will in MY opinion make her a much better princess !

I wonder why so many negative augurs are around when so far Catherine has not set a foot wrong in public. To claim that the monarchy is going to be in dire straits if certain Royals or potential future Royals do not do as some plain commoners think they should, people who don't even know them!, is really preposterous IMHO. There are a lot of people around whose professional interest is it that the monarchy should be as stable as possible - including the goverment of a monarchy whose duty is it to see that the situation stays stable.

Obviously these people don't think there is need as yet to interfere with Catherine and William's relationship, so I can't see that there is a real need or reason for badmouthing her.

It's Catherine's life, her decisions, her plans and her price to pay so far and I believe people should accept that and not trying to patronize her when in fact they have no idea where Catherine stands at the moment and which internal problems she faces. She has not yet asked for the public's help, so let her alone.

What I am saying, however, is that someone in Kate's position could do with the confidence and selfesteem you gain from facing the challenges of a work life and dealing with them.
I do some 'speaking' to a variety of groups and I have never held down a job as such. I am 'involved' in the family business, although as a youngster I was more involved with my friends than a daily grind. :ohmy:

I don't think anyone has ever accused me of being without self esteem or confidence, you certainly do not, IMO, need to be employed to have either!:D

I do some 'speaking' to a variety of groups and I have never held down a job as such. I am 'involved' in the family business, although as a youngster I was more involved with my friends than a daily grind. :ohmy:

I don't think anyone has ever accused me of being without self esteem or confidence, you certainly do not, IMO, need to be employed to have either!:D

But don't you think it would be easier for Prince William and the monarchy to "sell" Kate to the British public, if she actually had some job experience? I am not trying to degrade anyone here, but merely suggesting that Kate herself would benefit from having had a job before she enters a life, where she on a day-to-day basis has to deal with staff, public life, causes she supports etc. etc. Surely, she will feel better equipped if she brings more to her table at the royal palace than "just" a university degree? Look at William! He is gathering as much experience as he possibly can at the moment by having several different postings within the army!

But don't you think it would be easier for Prince William and the monarchy to "sell" Kate to the British public, if she actually had some job experience? I am not trying to degrade anyone here, but merely suggesting that Kate herself would benefit from having had a job before she enters a life, where she on a day-to-day basis has to deal with staff, public life, causes she supports etc. etc. . . . . . .!
Oh I am sure the press will have no trouble whatsoever trying to "sell" Catherine to the British Public. More than a few tabloids will be set up for the next decade on what they can print about Prince William's fiance. I am, however, a little unsure how tabloid headlines screaming "Prince to Marry Shopgirl!" are going to help Catherine's self esteem. :bang:

Any young woman working a 40 hour week would be narked at the notion the the "Fiance" has actually slogged it out in the trenches. Let's face it, the only people screaming "get a job" are the tabloids. Expecting William's future wife (whomsoever she be) to prove herself worthy to marry the heir's heir by "getting a job", . . . . . any job, is insulting to all concerned. :ermm:

Any company employing her will be accused of trying to "cash in" while at the same time the media will make it impossible for said company to actually do business, being as how a photo of the "Fiance/future Fiance working" would be a goldmine and mean they would have to invest in heavy duty "Rodent Control" measures to keep the media out. :D

Come on . . . . media in the foyer, paparazzi in the loading dock, tabloid photographers trying to bug or vid the ladies restroom etc. ad nauseum! :ROFLMAO: And let's not forget who would get the blame when the Company went bankrupt. :ohmy:

Is is so easy to blame everything on the media! Well, who buys the tabloids? Who watches the gossip shows? Kate's future subjects. The media is - like it or not - the tool with which the royal families nowadays mostly communicate with their people. Anyway, my point here is not about the media, but about Kate herself. Surely she will feel more "dressed for the occasion" if she enters royal life having done more than "just" getting her degree. Work experience never harmed anyone and it won't harm a princess-to-be either.

. . . . . .Work experience never harmed anyone and it won't harm a princess-to-be either.
I didn't say it would harm a "Princess-in-Waiting", merely posed the question as to the validity of said "work experience". More importantly, I reiterate my main question. Who is the lucky Sacrificial Company willing to risk their financial future for the somewhat dubious honour of employing a private citizen hounded by the press 24/7? :whistling:

This incessant harping on about her getting a job is so lame. Is she the only unemployed woman under 30 in the whole of the UK? IMHO until such time as she has a ring on her finger and CH has made an official statement as to her change of staus I fail to see what business it is of ours what she does or does not do. :bang:

This incessant harping on about her getting a job is so lame. Is she the only unemployed woman under 30 in the whole of the UK? IMHO until such time as she has a ring on her finger and CH has made an official statement as to her change of staus I fail to see what business it is of ours what she does or does not do. :bang:

Absolutely! That's what it all boils down to.

I didn't say it would harm a "Princess-in-Waiting", merely posed the question as to the validity of said "work experience". More importantly, I reiterate my main question. Who is the lucky Sacrificial Company willing to risk their financial future for the somewhat dubious honour of employing a private citizen hounded by the press 24/7? :whistling:

I am sure such a company can be found. Loads of businesses would welcome the opportunity to have a smart, young woman like Kate working for them - paps or no paps! It is our business because the monarchy - Danish, British whatever - belongs to all of us. It is in our interest - and kate's as well - that she is as qualified as she can possibly be before she heads for St. Pauls Cathedral.

I couldn´t care less if she gets a job or not, but I really don´t like the image of a do nothing except wait about royal girlfriend. Why did she take a degree? It makes one think it was just to get an opportunity to meet the Prince, or was she intending to do something with it?
What is going to happen if he doesn´t propose, will she get a job then, or just continue to take photographs of cakes for her family business? I think for her own sake she should be doing something a bit more constructive than she seems to be doing at the moment. It is her life and her future so it is up to her and it is no one´s business except her own. As the constant companion of the future King of England she is bound to get attention and although everyone is saying she is discreet she doesn´t seem to avoid the photo opportunities, or, it could be that the photographers manage to get her smiling at their cameras quite by chance or skill.
My own impression of her took a turn when they "broke up" and she was seen everywhere the Prince went to the point it almost seemed stalking. To be fair, perhaps it was a pretend situation and they hadn´t really split at all.

I am sure such a company can be found. Loads of businesses would welcome the opportunity to have a smart, young woman like Kate working for them - paps or no paps! It is our business because the monarchy - Danish, British whatever - belongs to all of us. It is in our interest - and kate's as well - that she is as qualified as she can possibly be before she heads for St. Pauls Cathedral.

Problem is you don't know what she is actually doing. Only because there are no reports doesn't mean there isn't anything she is doing. We didn't hear for example about the art exhibition she put together, organised and got going till the opening night. We didn't learn about the fact that she does professional photography till someone either saw it on the webpage or told the media. Who knows for whom she's doing photography as well? Or if she is designing cake decorations for her brother - which is an artistic endeavour as well. Maybe she uses a different name like Lady Gabriella Windsor who works as Ella Windsor (Windsor without the "Lady" being quite a common name in Britain) or Sarah "Bradford" who is Lady Bangor in reality. Maye she calls herself "Kitty Middler" or just "Catton"?

I think it's okay to pass judgment on people because of the things they do, but not because of things they don't do because we don't know if they really don't do anything.

But don't you think it would be easier for Prince William and the monarchy to "sell" Kate to the British public, if she actually had some job experience? I am not trying to degrade anyone here, but merely suggesting that Kate herself would benefit from having had a job before she enters a life, where she on a day-to-day basis has to deal with staff, public life, causes she supports etc. etc. Surely, she will feel better equipped if she brings more to her table at the royal palace than "just" a university degree? Look at William! He is gathering as much experience as he possibly can at the moment by having several different postings within the army!
I didn't take your post as degrading anyone. :flowers: As soon as Catherine has 'that' ring on her finger nobody will think about whether she had umpteen jobs or not. A 'job' in the real world, IMO, can never prepare you for dealing with staff, public life or charity work, you are either born to it or taught and it is not, IMO, a lesson that can be learned from working in an ordinary job. Catherine seems to have the confidence and self assurance that mainly comes from having a loving and supportive family and that will stand her in good stead, if she does marry William and become one day, his queen.:flowers:

Regarding William, the experiences he is gaining are, at the moment, those of a privileged member of each of the arms. Life for an officer is far removed from that of an ordinary squaddie, airman/woman or rating. :flowers:

Is she the only unemployed woman under 30 in the whole of the UK?
I can assure you that she is not the only woman under 30 who does not have paid employment or is not actively seeking it. My youngest daughter and her friends could all take a leaf from Catherines' book and at least help their parents out! :bang::D

Problem is you don't know what she is actually doing. Only because there are no reports doesn't mean there isn't anything she is doing. We didn't hear for example about the art exhibition she put together, organised and got going till the opening night. We didn't learn about the fact that she does professional photography till someone either saw it on the webpage or told the media. Who knows for whom she's doing photography as well? Or if she is designing cake decorations for her brother - which is an artistic endeavour as well. Maybe she uses a different name like Lady Gabriella Windsor who works as Ella Windsor (Windsor without the "Lady" being quite a common name in Britain) or Sarah "Bradford" who is Lady Bangor in reality. Maye she calls herself "Kitty Middler" or just "Catton"?

I think it's okay to pass judgment on people because of the things they do, but not because of things they don't do because we don't know if they really don't do anything.

Well, good for kate, if she does have a job very quietly on the side. Must say, though, she is getting an awful lot of time off!

Well, good for kate, if she does have a job very quietly on the side. Must say, though, she is getting an awful lot of time off!

There seems to be a constant reference to how much time off Kate has, so I decided to do a little research. I went to the Daily Mail, one of Kate's biggest critics to see how much leisure time they reported for her in the last 12 months and this is what I got:

August 07

Week vacation in Seychelles
One night at Boujis

Sept 07

One night at Boujis

Oct 07

Balmoral Hunting Party
One dinner w/William
One night at Raffles

Nov 07

Photo Exhibit
One night at China White

Dec 07

Pheasant Shoot at Great Windsor Park
Christmas Holiday in Barbados w/ family
One night at Boujis

Jan 08

Afrika Afrika
Birthday dinner w/ family

Feb 08

Nothing reported

Mar 08

Klosters skiing vacation
Cheltenham Festival

Apr 08

RAF ceremony

May 08

Phillips wedding
Polo Match
One night at Boujis

June 08

Garter ceremony
William's birthday celebration
Mandela's birthday celebration
Boodles Boxing Ball
Polo

July 08

Rose Windsor wedding
Wimbledon party

August 08

Mustique vacation

Tally - 4 weeks vacation (average vacation time in UK - 28 days Average Number of Vacation Days Around the World Per Year — Infoplease.com)
6 nights clubbing
2 weddings
2 weekend hunting parties
1 dinner date
3 birthday parties
2 ceremonies
2 polo matches
1 party
1 boxing match
1 exhibit
1 festival
1 circus

Not including stories and photos of her that report the same thing over and over again and use old photos to make speculations about her dreams, desires and the company she keeps. That leaves more than 10 months of her life that is not photographed and scrutinized where we don't know what she is doing. I'm a married, frumpy middled aged business woman, and I go out more than this.

That's artists for you: always having an awful lot of time off, because you can't get inspirations and ideas from sitting in an office 9/17 5 days a week. I would have thought you of all people should know that, being a writer/artist yourself.

That's artists for you: always having an awful lot of time off, because you can't get inspirations and ideas from sitting in an office 9/17 5 days a week. I would have thought you of all people should know that, being a writer/artist yourself.

......but I don't have nearly as many holidays as Miss Middleton!Honestly, writing is hard work. You are chained to your computer fo rmany hours every day, which is why this forum is such bliss for me because I can dip in and out, when I need/have a break!

There seems to be a constant reference to how much time off Kate has, so I decided to do a little research. I went to the Daily Mail, one of Kate's biggest critics to see how much leisure time they reported for her in the last 12 months and this is what I got:...
Fair point. But what DOES she do with her time then? Does she have a job and is she keeping it a secret? Hats off to Kate if she is working somewhere and has managed to keep it out of the spotlight. I am rather frumpy and middleaged myself these days, but when I was Kate's age, my social calendar was far busier than the one you have posted.

Can't we give the girl a break? She's young and perhaps she's not sure what to do as a job. I mean, not everyone is sure about what he/she wants to do at 26; especially when you're in such position.

But what DOES she do with her time then? Does she have a job and is she keeping it a secret?
Last we heard she was helping out in the family company. I'm sure that qualifies as "work" by any definition.
As to "keeping it a secret", she's under no obligation to inform the general public of her day-to-day movements or activities and it would be quite odd if she did.

Last we heard she was helping out in the family company. I'm sure that qualifies as "work" by any definition.
As to "keeping it a secret", she's under no obligation to inform the general public of her day-to-day movements or activities and it would be quite odd if she did.

No obligation, whatsoever, I agree. But will we, the public, be content with that? Is kate Middleton not already one of our 24/7-celebrities we are dying to know all about? I,however, disagree on the work issue. Helping out mum and dad is not really the same as having a proper job,IMO.Perhaps Kate should do some charity work? Take up a cause, I know she did with the rowing, but that was an unfortunate choice IMO, and use her high profile to do some good?

At this point, doing some charity work is highly likely to look like and be perceived as a PR campaign to please the public (in my personal opinion).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom