William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the topic of the state of the economy impacting a royal wedding disturbing...
I think time and attitudes towards the monarchy have changed since HM & Philip married, even since Charles & Diana.

Yes the wedding will make money, for the government and some people, (mainly London based), but it will be all taxpayers expected to allow their money to be used. We have failing schools, a failing NHS, a struggling military, failing transport, failing government pension scheme, sky high fuel (petrol, diesel, home heating oil, coal, electricity, gas) and negative equity for many poor souls, fuel poverty for many more. They may not like to use the word recession but that is the only word that fits. Many have been used to good times and will, IMO, be most upset at using their money to fund the wedding of the son to the heir. Williams father and grandparents could probably buy and sell everyone without blinking.

I think the days have past of televising a wedding worldwide and making it such an over the top event like Diana & Charles went through. I can see a photospread in Hello and some live coverage on the news though...

We do get news coverage of the royal family, especially William and Kate, in America, though. They're in gossip magazines, and William's on the cover of People fairly frequently. I don't know about worldwide coverage, but I do think that people in America would want to watch it live. Even Sophie and Edward's wedding was live on television here.

I think time and attitudes towards the monarchy have changed since HM & Philip married, even since Charles & Diana.

Yes the wedding will make money, for the government and some people, (mainly London based), but it will be all taxpayers expected to allow their money to be used. We have failing schools, a failing NHS, a struggling military, failing transport, failing government pension scheme, sky high fuel (petrol, diesel, home heating oil, coal, electricity, gas) and negative equity for many poor souls, fuel poverty for many more. They may not like to use the word recession but that is the only word that fits. Many have been used to good times and will, IMO, be most upset at using their money to fund the wedding of the son to the heir. Williams father and grandparents could probably buy and sell everyone without blinking.

I definitely agree that time and attitudes towards the monarchy have changed, and not for the better IMHO which I find very sad. Maybe because the history of my own country is so very new in comparison to the rest of the world that I just can't see throwing away a millenium of royal tradition and history. Where is the national pride? Would you really see your future king married austerely in front of the rest of the world leaders? Times are tough in many countries right now, but sometimes that best salve for troubled pockets is to be able to see your home country in a positive worldwide spotlight and actually celebrating something for a change. I said it earlier, and at the risk of sounding a bore, I'll repeat myself. The less attention the subjects of a monarchy give it, the quicker it will fade away. You mentioned earlier that tourists came to Britain to see the historic sites, not the royal family. Probably true on its face, but that attraction will start to wane when there is no more living history to go along with the historic sites. The UK is also fortunate enough to have a monarch as a non-partisan ambassador to present a good will positive face to the world. Would you prefer to just have your Prime Minister being the only one that represents you? Trust me, when the entire world despises your Head of State, it's hard to keep your head up when you travel internationally.

According to recent statistics, the UK has over 60 million in population. Even if a royal wedding reached the wildly exaggerated and completely unbelieveable cost of 60 million pounds, that is still only 1 pound per resident. If the majority of the UK were to begrudge William 1 pound per person as a wedding gift, then it should be no wonder if he decides that it is not worth his life's dedication to be their sovereign. As you said, his father and grandparents could buy and sell everyone, so it is not as if he needs the civil list.

I don't know about anywhere else but here for us seems like they are very intrested in William and Kate so if he chooses to marry Kate many channels here will want to see the wedding, I mean everytime a little rumour of a ring comes up it's all over the news here. I remember ctv I think cancelled normal programming just to show Concert for Diana and her memorial service (I know not really the same thing) but I know for sure here they still love the royal family, I mean all they talked about was William and Harry throughout the whole thing I was kinda tired of it I'm like we get the point! but then again I'm not complaining. They even dedicated parts of the news hour program to Peter and Autumn and lets face it they're no William and Harry so I can't imagine what they'd do if it was William's wedding.

I definitely agree that time and attitudes towards the monarchy have changed...
I agree with your observations. The wedding would most certainly stimulate the nation's economy. Not only in the most obvious short-term capacity, but in the long-term as well since it would revive/refresh interest in the monarchy. I wish I had an exact figure to quote, but I recall reading that travel to GB increased quite a bit in the years after Charles and Diana married.

I believe that there should be a public, televised wedding when William marries. It needn't be as extravagant as Charles and Diana's wedding, because William isn't the Prince of Wales; but I think that Royal Weddings are important to give people a sense of community and something to look forward to.

Where is the national pride? Would you really see your future king married austerely in front of the rest of the world leaders?
Well, I don't believe many have a sense of national pride. In the US, I noticed that most of you have your flag in the front garden or on the porch, here we do not even fly the union jack on public buildings. If a council does fly the flag, someone will complain, threaten a lawsuit because it is not pc and might offend someone! The other problem is that so many aren't interested in Kings or Queens that might happen goodness how many years down the road. It will depend, IMO, on whether the economy is steadying or even recovering slightly. If there is no recovery on the horizon, I think the British will do what they do best.... complain, enjoy the festivities and then complain some more! :flowers: You mention the population of 60+ million, don't forget many of them are not taxpayers!:whistling:

They even dedicated parts of the news hour program to Peter and Autumn
They made a short mention on each of the terrestrial channels, not headlines just a mention on the day. Sky discussed it purely because the Mail was complaining about Hello getting the photo rights.

I believe that there should be a public, televised wedding when William marries. It needn't be as extravagant as Charles and Diana's wedding, because William isn't the Prince of Wales; but I think that Royal Weddings are important to give people a sense of community and something to look forward to.
'We' don't do a sense of community here.
--------------------
I don't mind what type of wedding he eventually has, it's always a good excuse for a new hat and frock! :lol:

Okay. How so?

i'm not sure if you've ever seen the pictures and heard the stories about what the city was like after the germans bombed it. people needed something to celebrate to help them forget the horrors of war.

this is a recession not a bombing....lavish shows of wealth might be offensive to a lot people. layoff's, gov't cutbacks, mortgage foreclosures are not the same as a devastating bombing of your hometown. isn't that why HM and the DoE chose to forego a large anniversary celebration????? i'm not saying that IF this wedding happens, or whenever william marries, there won't be a huge celebration but i think the economic situation in the UK will definitely determine the scale and grandeur of the event.

well unless the world news has been wrong, the uk is in the same economic state as north america...recession, downturn in the economy...call it whatever you like. my point was that HM's wedding came at a time when the people of britain could use a celebration.
Charles and Diana's too, I believe. Wasn't there rioting taking place in certain parts of the country?

And isn't a war torn country in a recession? And who said Britian was in a recession?

None the less, hopefully by the time that Wills marries, the state of the economy will be better, rather than worse.

are you saying that the uk is NOT suffering the same economic downturn/recession that north america is suffering right now? has the price of a tank of gas decreased in the uk? are people not being laid off their jobs? has the price of food not increased in the uk???? wow....what the heck am i doing in north america if the economy is so great in the uk!

the point, which you missed, is that at the time of HM's wedding, the city of london in particular was ready for a celebration to help lift the spirits of people that had suffered the devestating bombing by the germans.

didn't sophie stay there prior to being married to edward?

I hope we do see a big wedding, but I'm most concerned about SECURITY and TERRORISM. Are they going to have to wear bullet proof vests under their wedding clothes? Are the subways going to have to be shut down? Are the buildings going to have to have snipers on top of all of them? There aren't enough cops to cover the crowds along the route (even though I know Charles told them to stand further apart, as was mentioned in a previous post) and I know the footmen on the carriages were bodyguards. I know they had bomb sniffing dogs all over the place before Charles and Diana's wedding, but can you imagine the logistics of security that would have to be dealt with NOW? I'm afraid there is a lot more to be worried about now than there was back in 1981. I hope that doesn't keep them from having a big, splashy wedding. I would love to feel that excitement again and see all of the preparations and watch the news coverage, etc.

I don't necessarily think the fears of terrorism are greater now than they were in 1981. Remember, only a few years before Charles and Diana married, Lord Mountbatten and several of his family members were murdered by the IRA. And a man fired shots (though I believe eventually they were found to be blanks) at the Queen at Trooping the Colour in June 1981.

I think there's certainly reason today to be concerned for safety during a large-scale celebration in any global city. I was living in London during the 2005 terrorist attacks, so I can attest that there are threats around every day, any time, any place in a city. But I think the concerns would be even more for the masses gathered than specifically for the bride and groom. And I'd hate to think that fear of something possibly happening would stop a royal couple from celebrating their wedding with the people.

There probably isn't more to worry about now than in 1981 because the IRA was active in 1981 and it wasn't all that long since they'd blown up Lord Mountbatten. The royal family were known targets of theirs, and it was a very real concern back then. I think things have calmed down a lot on that front. I suppose it remains to be seen whether Islamic terrorists think there's any mileage in attacking the royal family, but if they want to do it, there are times when the royals are much easier targets.

They made a short mention on each of the terrestrial channels, not headlines just a mention on the day. Sky discussed it purely because the Mail was complaining about Hello getting the photo rights

I don't know about every where else but the coverage here was a bit more then I expected I guess since Autumn was canadian.I actually think it was headline news in atleast one Canadian news program One news program even called them "Canadian Royalty" and "Our new Canadian princess" I was like what? (I knew nothing about Peter before the wedding so that's why I was like what are they talking about)

Interesting how other royal forums are saying today that William is NOT getting engaged anytime soon even 2010 seems doubtful and in fact is getting ready to dump Kate again which is what most of them want.

I am so disappointed in William if he lets her go. But let him move back into Clarence House I hope Kate does not wait for ever in vain she can do better than him.

I hope that Kate's being one-quarter Jewish does not create any religious or cultural differences/problems for them or their children.

Kate was raised in and belongs to the Church of England. There will be no religious problems.

I hope that Kate's being one-quarter Jewish does not create any religious or cultural differences/problems for them or their children.
would that really make a differance if she is not practicing Judaism? Or is she actively practicing it? If she is i am way out if the loop:)

Kate's mother is half Jewish and grew up in a household with Jewish customs, beliefs, and values, which are part of her, and would be passed on to her children, even if Kate identifies with the Church of England. I know this from personal experience.

The only religion a future wife of William is not "allowed" to have is Catholic. Anything else is (legally) not a problem. Of course their children would have to be brought up with the Anglican (?) faith.

Kate's mother is half Jewish and grew up in a household with Jewish customs, beliefs, and values, which are part of her, and would be passed on to her children, even if Kate identifies with the Church of England. I know this from personal experience.

If the Peerage, is anything to go by(see below), it doesn't seem Carole or Kate really grew up in household with Jewish customs etc. It looks to me like the Goldsmith's assimilated into England.

) Kate's parents, Michael Francis Middleton and Carole Elizabeth Goldsmith, married at Dorney Parish Church, Buckinghamshire, on 2 June 1980.
2) Her maternal grandparents, Ronald John James Goldsmith, a lorry driver, and Dorothy Harrison, daughter of Thomas Harrison, married at Holy Trinity Church, Southall, Middlesex, on 8 August 1953.
3) Kate's maternal great-grandparents, Stephen Charles Goldsmith, a general laborer, and Edith Eliza Chandler married at the Registrar's Office in Uxbridge, Middlesex, on 27 March 1909.
4) Her maternal great-great grandparents, John Goldsmith and Jane Dorset, married at St. Mary's Church, Paddington, London, on 18 September 1882.

Since when has Kate's mother been half Jewish. The press have been all over Kate's family history and I have never seen it mentioned anywhere. The only place it seems to come up is on certain royal forums.

The only place it seems to come up is on certain royal forums.
As it has here, just a few hours ago :ermm:. Maybe we were next on the list.

If the Peerage, is anything to go by(see below), it doesn't seem Carole or Kate really grew up in household with Jewish customs etc. It looks to me like the Goldsmith's assimilated into England.

) Kate's parents, Michael Francis Middleton and Carole Elizabeth Goldsmith, married at Dorney Parish Church, Buckinghamshire, on 2 June 1980.
2) Her maternal grandparents, Ronald John James Goldsmith, a lorry driver, and Dorothy Harrison, daughter of Thomas Harrison, married at Holy Trinity Church, Southall, Middlesex, on 8 August 1953.
3) Kate's maternal great-grandparents, Stephen Charles Goldsmith, a general laborer, and Edith Eliza Chandler married at the Registrar's Office in Uxbridge, Middlesex, on 27 March 1909.
4) Her maternal great-great grandparents, John Goldsmith and Jane Dorset, married at St. Mary's Church, Paddington, London, on 18 September 1882.

By the sound of it the Jewish faith was left way behind in her family, but this information certainly puts and end to any talk about her being from an upper class family ,or even lower middle class.

I object, I don´t think that anyone can hate someone they don´t know, but I think that it is perfectly legitimate for some people not want her to be their queen.
There is certainly nothing wrong with having either jewish ancestors or working class family. It would be nonsense to dislike (or was the word "hate" mentioned) a person because of these two factors, you would certainly have to hate a lot of strangers. I have a feeling there is more to it than this. Just this morning I read an article about her accepting free dresses, whether this was because they hate her, or even dislike her, I just don´t know, but I read it as a criticism and that was the British Daily Mail.
Do you think they published this because they hate her?

I thnk Luv2Cruise was referring to unsubtle message board whispering campaigns rather than what is appearing in the London tabloids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom