The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Nobility

William and Commonwealth Realms

I wonder how William feels about the fact that he may well one day be king of nations other than the UK? And, I wonder how he feels about the movements in some of those other nations to abolish the monarchy and establish republics? I doubt he'd say anything about his feelings, though.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Aristocracy

I think it would be good if he spend some time living in each country. He could stay in Canada and Australia for about a year for example. As long as the Queen is still alive he's not really needed as support in the UK so he could use the chance and get to know the other countries better. I always wondered why not some of the Queen's children moved abroad to represent her there.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

GG of Canada just like Queen Victorias son
Old 01-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Nobility

I think the Commonwealth Realms insist that Governors-General be citizens of the Realm concerned. It's a great way to reward people, after all. However, having William live in each country for some period of time sounds like a great idea. If he did so and behaved himself he might counter any republican tendencies. I'm sure he would enjoy it, too.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:52 PM

I doubt the Commonwealth nations that share a monarchy with the UK will keep it up for very long after the Queen dies.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I doubt the Commonwealth nations that share a monarchy with the UK will keep it up for very long after the Queen dies.
I think you're likely to be right, Sam.

The Former federal minister for Environment and Water resources, and former leader of the Australian Republican movement, Malcolm Turnball, has himself conceded that Australian's have no desire to oust the monarchy given their (our) effection for the Queen. He however thinks that after Her Majesty pasess away things will change, and I'm inclined to agree.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd be very happy to see a member of the Royal Family as Governor General. For one thing, it would draw more attention to the importance of the job as non-political. Too many former politicians get this job, although the last couple of GGs here are/were journalists.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
HRH The Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester was Governer General of Australia from 1945 to 1947. This appointment cannot be considered a resounding success.

The days of royals becoming GG are, I think, long gone.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I agree, except for Canada, simply because it's next to impossible to do. It requires getting the federal Parliament and all 10 provincial legislatures to agree. At least one, probably Newfoundland, would disagree simply to piss the rest off.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I know what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
At least one, probably Newfoundland, would disagree simply to piss the rest off.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Gentry

Here in Papua New Guinea, I doubt we would become a republic (for a long time at least) after the Queen's reign ends, the main appeal being the independence of the Queen from domestic politics. Although this is so, we sure would be happy with more royal visits since they hardly ever come here anymore.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
Won't happen. Two reasons:

1) Must be a Canadian citizen. Wills is not, and while I'm guessing that he sort of automatically assumes citizenship when he ascends the throne, at this time he would have to go through all the normal immigration BS.

2) The post is generally used as a reward or official notice for being a truly outstanding Canadian.. thus Adrienne Clarkson, Michaelle Jean (who is, quite frankly, spectacular. I hope they extend her term indefinitely, because she really is just lovely, and so very emblematic of the Canadian identity.)
Old 04-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Courtier

It's been discussed before on this forum that HRH Prince Charles put himself forward as a suitable Governor General for Australia and was rebuffed. It's been common knowledge in Australia for decades, and although most were unhappy at the personal hurt that it may have caused him, most were accepting that this was the right decision. Personally, I have my doubts, despite my belief that our Governor General should be an Australian, because there's been only one, in the last few decades, whom I, as an Australian, have been proud of, viz., Sir William Deane.

Prince William, through no fault of his own, wouldn't be acceptable. If his father were thought unsuitable, there's no way that young William would ever be.

And from my limited observation of Canadian politics, I agree that their current Governor General is an inspiration and a wonderful representative of Her Majesty and the Canadian population, both.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Commoner

I wish Prince Charles and his sons the very best in their associations with Australia. As an Australian by birth I hope Prince William will visit Brisbane soon in such a capacity to visit the Governor General of Queensland, Quentin Bryce, and also meet our Premier Anna Bligh.

Relations between Australia (as a Republic) and England will not really change for the worse.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:59 AM
Courtier

[quote=Prince Daniel Vincent;752901] As an Australian by birth I hope Prince William will visit Brisbane soon in such a capacity to visit the Governor General of Queensland, Quentin Bryce, and also meet our Premier Anna Bligh.quote]

I was hoping for a royal visit for the Q150 celebrations, but it was not to be.

Back to other matters and I, too, would support William as a GG. It would also help in restating the role of the position as the Queen's represenative rather than a political patronage appointment.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:08 AM
Majesty

The majority of Australians, myself included, believe that the GG should be an Australian and William doesn't qualify.

We won't have a non-Australian as GG again and at some stage in the not too distant future we will sever the final official links with Britain vis a vis the sharing of The Queen.

10 years ago I voted No to the republic but I would now most definitely vote Yes. The reason for my change in attitude is that I believe that Australia is an independent nation and to really be taken as independent on the world stage with have to have get rid of having a foreigner as Head of State.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Royal Highness

If I was heir to the throne or monarch of several other nations, I would spend all my time visiting each one regularly and getting to know the people well, rather than only visit every few years (if at all) for just a few days at a time. Indeed, I would be constantly asking the people if they were happy to have me as their head of state - then again, I probably wouldn't last very long in the job! Also, if I was the monarch of places like Australia or New Zealand, I'd be over there visiting all the time!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Theres alot to visit in the commonwealth. And he wouldn't want to follow in his uncles footsteps and be Air Miles William now. To be honest he barely does any engagements in the UK, let alone spending his time flyng around the commonwealth. I cannot remember the last time William or Harry visited the commonwealth, I think it was when he was a baby with his mother and father and pictures we taken of him playing on a blanket outside Government House.

I wish Harry and William would visit the commonwealth sometime soon. But they seem intent on doing very little.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Heir Apparent

As William gradually increases the number of royal engagements he carries out, he will no doubt gradually start to undertake overseas royal engagements as well. At that stage, I am sure a trip down under will definately follow. I am sure that will be one of the first foreign trips William and his wife will undertake after they are married.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Daniel Vincent View Post
As an Australian by birth I hope Prince William will visit Brisbane soon in such a capacity to visit the Governor General of Queensland, Quentin Bryce, and also meet our Premier Anna Bligh.
Governor General of Australia, not Queensland. How very zealous of you.

Quentin was Governor of Queensland, but that post is now held by another.

Tags
british commonwealth, prince william