Which name do you prefer for Kate (Catherine) Middleton?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which name do you prefer for Kate(Catherine) Middleton?

• Kate

Votes: 50 35.7%
  • Catherine

Votes: 81 57.9%
  • Katy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Katie

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cate

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Kat

• Kitty

• Kit

• Cathy

• Cathie

• Kathie

• other (please specify)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
She'll be HRH the Duchess of Cambridge.

If she was Princess anything it would be because William hadn't been given a dukedom yet, in which case she would be HRH Princess William of Wales.

She'll only be the Duchess of Cambridge if William is created Duke of Cambridge, which isn't certain.

Kate is a cute and popular nick name for a little girl and Willian and her close friends and famiy use it in private But in public I think now that she's in the work force and an adult and possible Consort and she likes Catherine so I thinks it's respectul to use it.
Wittykitty

I chose Catherine because it's her name. It was given to her at birth, and a person has a right to be called by their own name if that's what they prefer. It is their name, after all. It really doesn't matter if it sounds regal or not, her name is what it is.
It amazes me that someone has said they don't want to call her Catherine because she isn't a princess. What does one thing have to do with the other? If her name is Catherine then it's Catherine! It doesn't matter whether it sounds like it belongs to a street sweeper, a street walker, or a Queen.
It's not like referring to her as Catherine instead of Kate is some sort of reward for princess-like behaviour, and referring to her as Kate is more appropriate if you don't like her! Catherine is her name. Why not call her by her name if that's what she likes?

Catherine has more impact than plain Princess Kate, too informal for a future crowned queen consort. Kate should remain just as a nickname for those close to her. Now one other question, will it be Catherine with a C or Katherine with a K?

What, no one's suggested Salomé yet? ;)

Lakshmi said:
If Miss Middleton bacome a royal consort, of course Princess Catherine sounds better than Princess Kate. I voted for Catherine. I read somewhere that she prefers to be called Catherine and only madia chose to call her Kate, same as with Diana, called by media Di.
I don't think the press came up with this name. It was well documented quite awhile back that Kate had asked everyone at school to call her Kate so she could blend in. I don't know if it was during regular school or university though.

Chiyo said:
What, no one's suggested Salomé yet? ;)
Hey let's call her Debbie. She looks like a Debbie. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, she looks like an Ashley to me. Or an Amy.

I voted for Kate, but i think Catherine is more royal so if she becomes royal she should use Catherine.

I also like Kate for now because this is how we know her. But if she were ever to become queen, I think Catherine fits more when you look at history.

I like Queen Catherine or even Princess Catherine. Princess Kate sounds too childish and unroyal But I like it for now. She looks like a Kate.

No matter what her name is for public reasons, IMO William will always call her Kate.

I voted Kit. It just sounds playful. Maybe the prince calls her that in private.:wub: But if she's ever made royal...Catherine sounds very regal.

Catherine, Duchess of ? (lovely) or Catherine, The Princess William (not as nice but it would do) with Kit as her casual name, possibly for Fleet Street use as well.

Princess Catherine is beautiful, but sadly it won't be official. Only People magazine will ever call her that. But it rolls off the tongue beautifully.

Queen Catherine is divine-sounding. Britain's own Catherine the Great. Hopefully minus the husband-slaying and, er, shall we say...promiscuity!:lol:

Toledo said:
Catherine has more impact than plain Princess Kate, too informal for a future crowned queen consort. Kate should remain just as a nickname for those close to her. Now one other question, will it be Catherine with a C or Katherine with a K?

Her given name is Catherine, so the press have been unable to even get that bit right. If they have got to shorten it, at least shorten it with the right spelling! :lol:

sereta said:
It was well documented quite awhile back that Kate had asked everyone at school to call her Kate so she could blend in. I don't know if it was during regular school or university though.
I must have missed these articles in the UK, can you point me in the right direction? :flowers:

I'm sure it is true that chums call her Kate. The paparazzi probably heard her called that way ages ago at St. Andrew's and the name stuck. I doubt it came from nowhere. But of course, Skydragon does have a point. She might spell it Cate, not Kate, and the tabloids would have no way of knowing it, short of rifling through her trash for discarded notes, letters, etc.

It doesn't matter what she's called, though. People called "Di" and "Fergie" whatever they (the people) wanted to call them. These names just have a way of sticking and they don't go away without a good fight. :lol:

I think the real truth is that Kate was perfectly fine with being known as Kate when she was a university student but now that she is getting very serious with William, she's re-thinking it and wants to be known as Catherine.

Reason why I think this?

The press has been calling her Kate for a some years now and although Kate and her family have made complaints about the press intrusion from the beginning, they've never made a complaint about Kate's nickname until now.

Diana's family, on the other hand, made it very clear from the start when the press started calling her Di that Diana was never called Di and did not like the name.

I don't fault Kate for it. Catherine is more dignified than Kate but it is a bit late to try to change what everybody calls her.

kerry said:
I voted Kit. It just sounds playful. Maybe the prince calls her that in private.:wub: But if she's ever made royal...Catherine sounds very regal.

I liked Kitty but I don't think anyone but William should call her that. :lol:

ysbel said:
The press has been calling her Kate for a some years now and although Kate and her family have made complaints about the press intrusion from the beginning, they've never made a complaint about Kate's nickname until now.

They probably realised that people would pay as much attention to a request to call her by her given name, as they have about giving her some privacy.:lol: Any statement or request from them in the early days, would have been seen as presumptious as 'she is only Williams girlfriend, not a princess, yet'! :rolleyes:
Let's be honest, it wouldn't matter what she is called, it would be altered by the media. They could call her midi and there is not a thing the poor girl could do about it!

ysbel said:
I liked Kitty but I don't think anyone but William should call her that. :lol:

Now that is funny!:lol:

Obviously Catherine is a more regal name, so if she becomes William's wife, we will probably hear her referred to as "Catherine" in official contexts. However, I suspect those close to her will always call her Kate...

kate or Catherine????

The way i look at it its whatever we call her in the future( if she becomes princess)

Look at the dutchess of york her name was sarah but everyone called her FERGIE

or​
Princess diana most of the time you read in the magazines "princess DI"

I think at the end of the day if she going to be called kate or Catherine

:flowers:

I chose Kate simply because that's how she was introduced as. Catherine sounds much more royal and I'm sure that if she ever becomes the Princess of Wales that Catherine will be used in the official context. But I'll always see her as Kate.

IMO, Kate is more age appropriate for a 25 year old yound woman. Somehow, Catherine brings to mind someone in mid- to late-forties, with a brood of children following behind.:flowers:

as someone already mentioned, why is kate spelled with a ''K'''. If Catherine is kind of long and she wants something shorter, why wouldn't she go by Cate? I supposed it is possible that she spells her name Cate and they press are the only ones spelling it with a 'K', but that seems unlikely.

theprincess said:
as someone already mentioned, why is kate spelled with a ''K'''. If Catherine is kind of long and she wants something shorter, why wouldn't she go by Cate? I supposed it is possible that she spells her name Cate and they press are the only ones spelling it with a 'K', but that seems unlikely.

That's the thing....she doesn't go by Kate....or Cate for that matter. Her family calls her Catherine. That's what she wants to be called anyway. The press gave her the name Kate.

Sister Morphine said:
That's the thing....she doesn't go by Kate....or Cate for that matter. Her family calls her Catherine. That's what she wants to be called anyway. The press gave her the name Kate.

Thanks for clearing that up! I was under the impression that her family and Prince William called her ''Kate'' and that she went by that nickname in her private life too.

I picked Catherine because it sounds more regal, I had no idea that is what her family called her. I thank you too for clearing that up.

Lily

Richard Kay wrote in one of the tabloids that she recently told her friends she wanted to be knowns as Kate but some of his newscoops have been erroneous; its also perfectly possible that earlier at the university, she wanted to be known as Kate and now she wants to be known as Catherine.

catherine sounds to me perfect for an official approach, but i'm sure the press will call her kate when she marries william, if she does.

it all depends on the situation. princess catherine or queen catherine sounds very regal to me. i'm certain the queen is pleased with her (possible) successor's name.

carlota said:
catherine sounds to me perfect for an official approach, but i'm sure the press will call her kate when she marries william, if she does.

it all depends on the situation. princess catherine or queen catherine sounds very regal to me. i'm certain the queen is pleased with her (possible) successor's name.

The Queen's successor is named Camilla. Although if William and Kate get married, HER successor will be named Catherine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom