What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh the good old opinion poll. Never fails does it ? All in the way your asked and when etc ? not that I have ever been asked.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Interestingly, while the Queen and Prince William have favorability rates in the mid 60s, the figures for Prince Charles are only around 43 %, and his "very favorable" rating is only 13 % (compared to 33 % for William and 38 % for the Queen).

There are no figures for Camilla.

Last edited:
I was rebutting the odious Jan Moir who says William must win back our love

Last edited:
Not quite sure that can be classed as "rebutting". Whilst Jan Moir doesn't speak for everyone, neither do 1,518 chosen people speak for the 65 million population of the UK. Seeing as Jan used the term "our" I doubt she was just referring to the UK either. Also this poll was done in March, Jan's article was written last night.

William has always looked to me like a man who doesn't want his position. Which is fine, he just needs to suck it up and smile because i'm sure there have been hundreds of days where every member of every royal family has wanted not to be who they are. But they're smart enough not to show it to their public.

William and Catherine are popular because they're young and fresh faced. Somebody said the other day about how this scenario will potentially happen to William or more than likely George. If William has a long reign like his grandmother, George will get older and older and there will be cries for George's children to skip ahead of George. Popularity has very little to do with the people themselves, it has all to do with the publics perception of people IMO.

Not quite sure that can be classed as "rebutting". Whilst Jan Moir doesn't speak for everyone, neither do 1,518 chosen people speak for the 65 million population of the UK. Seeing as Jan used the term "our" I doubt she was just referring to the UK either. Also this poll was done in March, Jan's article was written last night.

William has always looked to me like a man who doesn't want his position. Which is fine, he just needs to suck it up and smile because i'm sure there have been hundreds of days where every member of every royal family has wanted not to be who they are. But they're smart enough not to show it to their public.

William and Catherine are popular because they're young and fresh faced. Somebody said the other day about how this scenario will potentially happen to William or more than likely George. If William has a long reign like his grandmother, George will get older and older and there will be cries for George's children to skip ahead of George. Popularity has very little to do with the people themselves, it has all to do with the publics perception of people IMO.

Being young with a good-looking wife and two little children certainly helps William, but I feel there is more to his popularity. Many people still feel sympathetic to him for having lost his mother when he was a teenager and a big share of his popularity is still a spillover from his mother's. That effect will fade over time though and William will have to make a case for himself. As of now, he is still popular, but, if he keeps making statements that make him sound like a spoiled rich kid, his popularity will be gradually eroded as he ages.

Well if Jan Moir looked outside the hypersensitive media bubble, she see would all the royals are popular, not just William

The Queen, Harry, William and Catherine have the highest number, So Jan Moir appears to be talking out of her hat

Interestingly, while the Queen and Prince William have favorability rates in the mid 60s, the figures for Prince Charles are only around 43 %, and his "very favorable" rating is only 13 % (compared to 33 % for William and 38 % for the Queen).

Its not surprising, I don't think the Queen counts because she's more an institution than any other monarch (perhaps apart from the Thai king), but usually, and especially in European monarchies the runners up/younger generation are more popular than the 'old guard'.

And in the last 4 years: IpsosMORI, YouGov and Populus have had the approval/good monarch polls at 80 to 90% for the Queen, 70 to 89 for William and 60 to 78% for Charles.

I have followed British television very closely in the last 2 days and many royal authors/experts, (with the exception of the 3 to 4 anti Cambridge people) have praised William and Kate and said that William is more like the Queen than his parents. There were (as usual) a lot of negativity towards both Charles and Diana.

Last edited:
I think even if William (or any other royal)had an engagement per day, they still could not relate to the lives that Jan Moir is describing. They're royals...their lives are different, it is what it is. I think human being share certain emotional hardships: loss, loneliness, happiness, etc. However, that does not always extend to life experience. As if the Queen and a working father that struggles to pay their bills have anything in common. No matter how many engagements the Queen does or how little or much that British citizen pays as a tax, they will never be a royal. I find the relatability argument absurd to be honest, perhaps someone can give me a fresh perspective because I don't quite understand.

I don't particularly believe the Queen was thrilled to become a monarch, she simply accepted it. When or if William becomes king, I think he will do the same. I'm not sure what else he's supposed to say. It is a burden and a big responsibility, but I did not hear him say that he was not willing to take it on. Again, I point to my previous statement, how many engagements is 'enough' before he sufficiently pays his dues. William does not do his engagements for himself, he does so on behalf of the BRF. To my knowledge, tax payers do not pay separate taxes based on the royal; they pay for the family as a whole. And the BRF conducts various engagement a day. Maybe it's because I don't have a 'favorite' royal, it has never really mattered to me who is doing them as long as they are done. A bit off topic, but could someone direct me to a place where I can see the expenses of the BRF in comparison to the money they bring in; if such a study exists.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, if William was to really up his royal engagements, wouldn't that actually cost the taxpayer more considering the security sweeps, the PPOs and all else that would be involved?

Moir seems to stress the point how the everyday man/woman doesn't have the opportunities that William has. She has conveniently forgotten to take into consideration that its the BRF and their work with their charities and their foundations that is striving to give those that need it the opportunities. Its also downplayed that the service that William does for the EAAA is given freely with his paycheck donated to charity which I am sure that those that have needed his services while on duty appreciate immensely. William is not just sitting home in his underwear watching cartoons with the kids and swigging beer with a 24 hour a day sports channel on.

Between home and family, working with his foundation and his charities and serving his community, he also represents his sovereign when he is asked to. That's a pretty full, involved and productive life in my book. Its almost like if William isn't out and about constantly in the public eye, he's slacking and work shy. If anyone would know from experience just how much pressure it is to be a full time working member of the British Royal Family, it would be William just by seeing what all is involved and expected first hand from his own family and realizes just what lies ahead for himself and in my opinion, he's preparing himself nicely for when that time comes.

I don't understand. Polls are statistically built to measure a random sample of people that approximate the makeup of a larger group. In essence, the sample group does (or is supposed to, if the poll is conducted correctly) represent the 65 million people in the UK.

ITA, He came across as a selfish man.
It came across very much as is he not willing to volunteer to help to his clearly overworked father, elderly grandmother or elderly grandfather unless they specifically ask for help or delegate some work.
Prince Philip is not the type to ask for help.
And as William has repeated stated the Queen does not instructs but allows family members to find their own way. He has stated that she gently guides by example. The Queen is not the type to push. (Maybe William is the type that needs pushing.)

ITA with your quote and the highlighted below is an excellent example.

His comment when asked if he was being partially exempt from royal duties due to his young age he
When he was reminder of the Queen will be 90 and Philip will be 95.
The red highlighted tell a very telling story and IMO, accurately portrays William's attitude toward his royal duties. As long as others are doing the work he can do what he truly enjoys.

It is not like it was years ago when a royal tour took 6 months. The Queen traveled by ship and was away for 6 months at a time.

In the early part of C&D's marriage they also traveled by ship and spent a month away. In Australia they took William with him so no excuse.

Now foreign tours are usually 7-12 days. It is not the same. There is no comparison

duchessrachel, I believe you meant grandmother.
William did not have unstable childhood. He had the same nannies taking care of him when his parent or parents were away.

Prince William hints he might quit air ambulance job to take on more royal duties amid 'workshy' criticism

What I meant by "unstable" was the problems in his parents marriage. That must have been a saddening thing to deal with.

I think even if William (or any other royal)had an engagement per day, they still could not relate to the lives that Jan Moir is describing. They're royals...their lives are different, it is what it is. I think human being share certain emotional hardships: loss, loneliness, happiness, etc. However, that does not always extend to life experience. As if the Queen and a working father that struggles to pay their bills have anything in common. No matter how many engagements the Queen does or how little or much that British citizen pays as a tax, they will never be a royal. I find the relatability argument absurd to be honest, perhaps someone can give me a fresh perspective because I don't quite understand.
Being relateable is critical IMO to a royal family's sustainability and relevance. I agree that the British Royal Family cannot be relateable because of their material privilege but that is just one aspect. Most of the relateable comes from Britain, not just having a monarch, but a Royal Family with the strategy of promoting the monarch's family dating back to Victoria and Albert.

Modern royals have to strike an interesting balance because many like and expect pomp and ceremony as well, so they basically have to show "realness" but when required also rock a tiara or a military uniform.

I don't particularly believe the Queen was thrilled to become a monarch, she simply accepted it. When or if William becomes king, I think he will do the same. I'm not sure what else he's supposed to say. It is a burden and a big responsibility, but I did not hear him say that he was not willing to take it on. Again, I point to my previous statement, how many engagements is 'enough' before he sufficiently pays his dues. William does not do his engagements for himself, he does so on behalf of the BRF. To my knowledge, tax payers do not pay separate taxes based on the royal; they pay for the family as a whole. And the BRF conducts various engagement a day. Maybe it's because I don't have a 'favorite' royal, it has never really mattered to me who is doing them as long as they are done. A bit off topic, but could someone direct me to a place where I can see the expenses of the BRF in comparison to the money they bring in; if such a study exists.
I don't think it's about dues paying it is about optics. William is a healthy man in his 30s and his nonagenarian grandparents do more royal work than he does. IMO a valid rebuttal to William royal workload being less than his grandparents would be his job as an air ambulance pilot but the it was revealed that either his overall workload at EAAA is very light, or he played hooky for a few weeks and someone tattled leading to the workshy characterization, which has actually been around for a while, getting traction and becoming a label.

That being said, there's an expression "haters gonna hate" and I do believe that there's a segment (not speaking about TRF) for whom William (and Kate) can do no right, and IMO there is nothing that they can do to get on that segment's good side.

Last edited:
Being relateable is critical IMO to a royal family's sustainability and relevance. I agree that the British Royal Family cannot be relateable because of their material privilege but that is just one aspect. Most of the relateable comes from Britain, not just having a monarch, but a Royal Family with the strategy of promoting the monarch's family dating back to Victoria and Albert.

Modern royals have to strike an interesting balance because many like and expect pomp and ceremony as well, so they basically have to show "realness" but when required also rock a tiara or a military uniform.

I don't think it's about dues paying it is about optics. William is a healthy man in his 30s and his nonagenarian grandparents do more royal work than he does. IMO a valid rebuttal to William royal workload being less than his grandparents would be his job as an air ambulance pilot but the it was revealed that either his overall workload at EAAA is very light, or he played hooky for a few weeks and someone tattled leading to the workshy characterization, which has actually been around for a while, getting traction and becoming a label.

That being said, there's an expression "haters gonna hate" and I do believe that there's a segment (not speaking about TRF) for whom William (and Kate) can do no right, and IMO there is nothing that they can do to get on that segment's good side.

I suppose that goes back to the fact that relatability is a subjective term. Aside from their personal lives, I don't see anything relatable to the royals, yet they've been around for a very long time. I agree that it is about optics which is a word that has always annoyed me. It hardly ever takes into account context and the big picture. It's more about appearance than fact, something that I try to fight rather than encourage. However, in this PR fueled world it seems a futile attempt.

Last edited:
Wait and see If The Duchess gets pregnant next year when PC is almost 2!

Emily Andrews and co didn't tell us how much time he actually spend at work at the EAA, they just said the amount of flight time which is completely different. Cepe explain it well before.

For me the most important things we've learned is William is receiving briefings from the cabinet office and also receives briefings from the Duchy of Cornwall. We see him participating in state visits and interacting with heads of state. These are the most important developments imo

What charity work William decides to do or what job he wants to hold down is important but this should be left up to William and the Firm to decide at what level he does these things

Things will starting coming full circle by the new year.

Does anyone know if William and Catherine will attend Ascot this year in light of the Queen's 90th Birthday celebrations? I don't think they have been since they got married.

We all discussed this just last week. The short answer is we don't know until we see them there. It's never been their thing.

Rudolph I thought someone posted an article saying they were attending...hmmm I must of misread it.

LaRae

Perhaps they will start attending this year. They probably found some time in their schedules to attend;) They're also not attending family events they didn't attend before.

I guess Catherine will take over The Queen's Wimbledon patronage next year, as nothing as been announced so far.

What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

Wimbledon could just be waiting for the tournament to start. Right now it's pretty heavy with upcoming vote on leaving the EU in press. They could announce it day 1 of the tournament and have Kate attend.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
With Kate assuming the role as Royal Patron, I wonder how the role will change for the Duke of Kent who serves as the president of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club and as such has always had a very highly visible role during the fortnight.

I assumed the 'passing of the torch' as patron would occur after the Patron's lunch - it will be interesting to see how this will play out. I expect very delicate handling.

:previous: I don't see how it would affect the Duke and his roll. The club has always had a royal patron, and considering it is the queen, a very high profile one. I doubt there will be any change in the Duke of Kent's role as president. He inherited the presidency from his mother Marina who served for 26 years. The president is a more active member, sitting on the board of directors for the private club (separate from the championships). Along with his numerous patronages, DOK is the president of a number of groups, presidency considered a different commitment then a simple patron.

Back
Top Bottom