What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something I wonder about with the recent Sturm und Drang around the Cambridges is how much of a role that Twitter is playing.

All the royal correspondents are on Twitter, and if you follow the dialogs that they're having with people, *most* of the people who engage with them are highly critical of the Cambridges. There are a few exceptions, but there seems to be a preponderance of critics. This means that when the reporters go in for a kicking, they get a lot of positive feedback, immediately, and a chorus of people defending the kicking against anyone who disagrees.

It's not really surprising or new that the majority of feedback on a topic be negative; most people who bother to chime into the Letters section of a newspaper, or come out to a city council meeting, etc, are the people who're unhappy. What is new is the first person dialog between reporters and the readers, and that immediate positive feedback when they write a story that makes the critics happy.

It really feels to me like some of the reporters are falling prey to confirmation bias. Funny, then, that one of the criticisms of William is that he surrounds himself with yes men. A bit of projection?

In 1974/1975 Charles was still in the Navy when he was 26 years old.:whistling:
Charles left the Navy in 1977.

Sorry do not understand your 2nd comment, please explain.

You're absolutely correct that Charles was still in the service at the time. My mistake. He was the heir at the time though.

Fishing for cash cows just means that the media has been pushing for their flavor of the day to do more and give them opportunities for a very long time. They hit the jackpot after Charles married and I don't think we'll ever see the likes of that again.

You're absolutely correct that Charles was still in the service at the time. My mistake. He was the heir at the time though.

Fishing for cash cows just means that the media has been pushing for their flavor of the day to do more and give them opportunities for a very long time. They hit the jackpot after Charles married and I don't think we'll ever see the likes of that again.[/QU

We won't see the same again but now we have the fact that the press are fighting for their lives. Newspapers are dying and online is not working. None are making money. So it's as if the press are reverting to what they know best - fight hard, fight dirty. Make it up, pay lots of money to anonymous sources, who knows - hack PCs and phones for all I know.

More to come IMO. Just don't automatically believe it.

Newspapers and magazine are dying but the internet brings things in the open much sooner.

People may not be getting their news from televisions, newspapers or magazine and they may not visit online newspapers or magazine websites but the internet can turn the masses against someone quicker than the days of print journalism.

The 'royal press' and tabloids might be upset with William but they still can start the snowball rolling.

Next time the YouGov/Daily Mail/Express runs their poll to see who is the popular royal or who should be the next King it will be interesting to see the results.

From 2008,
A YouGov poll has found that Britain''s Prince Charles, the current heir apparent, would be a more popular king than his son Prince William. According to The Telegraph, the YouGov poll found 42 per cent of people were in favour of him succeeding Queen Elizabeth II, compared to 35 per cent who thought the title should skip a generation and go to his eldest son Prince William.
http://www.topnews.in/poll-says-prince-charles-would-be-more-popular-king-son-william

William has had a problem with his image for sometimes.

He has just been given a pass because he married and then had a son and now a daughter but that goodwill has eroded with a large segment of the media.

The media has only been interested in William in relationship to his marriage and his children and they have now gone after his 'record'.

The media cropping his image from the ski trip and just focusing on Catherine, George & Charlotte is just step one.

The who should be the next King question is bogus. How many people say Charles just because that who will be the next King? William himself would say his father, too. It doesn't mean that William is unpopular. The next King is not up for debate, if he is alive its Charles.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Next time the YouGov/Daily Mail/Express runs their poll to see who is the popular royal or who should be the next King it will be interesting to see the results.

From 2008,
http://www.topnews.in/poll-says-prince-charles-would-be-more-popular-king-son-william

William has had a problem with his image for sometimes.

He has just been given a pass because he married and then had a son and now a daughter but that goodwill has eroded with a large segment of the media.

The media has only been interested in William in relationship to his marriage and his children and they have now gone after his 'record'.

The media cropping his image from the ski trip and just focusing on Catherine, George & Charlotte is just step one.

Personally, I think William's image is exactly how he wants it to be at this time and probably doesn't pay any attention to whatever the media puts out.

We will have to wait for the next YouGov poll to see what questions they will ask.

In addition to the usual who should be the next King, the next YouGov poll will probably go after William's work record.

Example:
Last year Prince William only performed 87 royal engagements while his elderly 94 year old grandfather performed 217.

Do you think William is lazy/workshy?

Do think William should perform more royal duties than his 95 year old grandfather?

Last year Prince Charles performed 527 royal engagements, should William work more than his 67 year old father?

Catherine has been a member of the British Royal Family for five years, do you think it is now time that she is a full time working royal? Last year she only performed 62 royal engagements, considerable less than her 95 year old grandfather-in-law?

They are probably conducting the YouGov poll this week.

Last edited:
Can I just explain for non UK people that youGov is an independent polling organisation and newspapers report their results. They are NOT part of the U.K. Media and connected, as seems to be assumed on earlier posts co ected to DM, Daily Express or any other paper. They are reporting the results.

I know this because my other half is regularly asked by YouGov to take part in polls so we know thebackgrou nd

YouGov is a marketing research company.

I do not know it rules are different in the U.K but in the U.S. anyone, including the media can hire a marketing research firm and the 'client' gets to create the questions in their polls.

Last edited:
Thanks much for the explanation Cepe. What I'm wondering is just how much pull do these independent polls actually have when it comes to changing things as far as the monarchy goes and how it operates?

Here polls are just taken to get feedback on what "the person at the corner" thinks and is just an indication of what people think. As I see it, they can take polls left and right until the cows come home but as far as it actually having an effect on the royal family or the monarchy, I would say the chances are zilch in that department.

Personally, I can't see the general British population being very overly concerned on what William does or doesn't do. There are far more important issues that concern them in their lives.

But then again, what do I know? :whistling:

When the economy is bad and the people are struggling, I actually think the people are more likely to care what their royals are doing. Tax money is paying for them after all.

If anything William attending state banquets and such is likely doing the opposite of helping. When the stories are calling him work shy and more interested in being a country farmer, photos of them attending fancy banquets are not going to help. Nor do the 'private funded' vacations (questions to where those private funds actually come from) help either.

Nor would 'meetings behind closed doors' help. Even if they reported every last one. Right or wrong, better or worse, people want tangible proof these people they are supporting, are working for them.

When the economy is bad and the people are struggling, I actually think the people are more likely to care what their royals are doing. Tax money is paying for them after all.

If anything William attending state banquets and such is likely doing the opposite of helping. When the stories are calling him work shy and more interested in being a country farmer, photos of them attending fancy banquets are not going to help. Nor do the 'private funded' vacations (questions to where those private funds actually come from) help either.

Nor would 'meetings behind closed doors' help. Even if they reported every last one. Right or wrong, better or worse, people want tangible proof these people they are supporting, are working for them.

I was under the impression that very little of the taxpayer's money actually goes into funding the BRF. Its not like here in the US where everything the government does (or doesn't do) is funded with federal monies.

Perhaps we need a sticky note in the British Royal Wealth and Finance thread that clearly designates exactly how everything regarding the monarchy and the royal family are paid for. It really would help clarify exactly what the taxpayers really pay for I think. Any volunteers?

Just a suggestion. :flowers:

The major expense, paid by taxes, is security.
A skeleton of security would be maintained at all times for William and his family.
The more public engagements he does the greater the complexity of the security arrangements, I would think, considering crowds and protection of the general public as well.

I would like to see reports of meetings - after they occur. It would interest me to know the background work that Royals do.
I would like to know of a steady consistency of community service carried out by the younger royals. Not official State Visits necessarily but involvement that makes a difference. The charity programs etc. The media would not have the glitzy photographs, however.

Would pictures of William doing the tasks Anne cheerfully does calm the press? I think not. William does good work, like all rescue pilots, though it is private.
When he represents the Queen, he does well.

I agree with William's stance of protecting his young children from photographers in their private life. The media is bound to complain. They should fill their pages more with the hundreds of events carried out by the other royals who don't fly helicopters part time.

The press for Wills & co isn't going to get any better until he steps up and takes on some more responsibilities
He is the future King of England....
I know he's not the crown prince yet but he's close enough and when you look at the shockingly low number of public engagements he does compared to others in the BRF and his peers in other royal families you have to wonder why

His numbers are on par with his peers in other royal families

^^^IMHO the press isn't really interested in covering William's engagements and quite possibly Harry's as well. Photos of them meeting with charities, government officials and performing investitures are not selling papers/magazines. Photos of their private lives however are an entirely different manner. And with Harry they're really wanting photos of him on his off duty activities and/or with a new girlfriend. I believe the tabloids are truly after Kate and candid paparazzi style photos of the kids out and about. The same type of photos that they stalked and harassed their late mother for decades ago.

So the trio could increase their engagements but I believe those won't really satisfy the press' desire for intimate photos and details of their private lives.

I think this is spot on.

I believe there was a lot of resentment when only one photographer had access to the family on their ski trip.

(Usually the press gets pictures the first day and then lets them alone- an unspoken agreement that has always worked before. Now they won't be willing to do that, and the Cambridges will be hunted 24/7, imo).

Members of the press have admitted that both "unspoken agreement" and "lets them alone" is basically press public relations. The photogs stay because they want a money shot.

It's not all about how many public engagements William & Catherine carry out. The royals do a great deal behind the scenes as well. The palace officials don't properly shine a light on what they do officially, when they're not on public duty. They are holding meetings, hosting teas, lunches, dinners, receptions, etc. We don't hear much to anything about it.

Several years ago, the Prince of Wales website released a great set of videos call "A day in the life of The Prince of Wales." It's now up on YouTube if anyone wants to see it. The short videos did a pretty good job in showing Charles at work behind the scenes. It would be great if the same was done for William and Catherine.

The royals work, and work very hard, but there's little focus on the hard work they really do. It takes a great deal work to put official diaries and engagements together. Also, certain members of the media feel they are being shut out, so they are at a lost of royal stories to write about and pictures to go with the stories. Royal reporters like, Richard Palmer, aren't looking for a big scandal or anything like that. They really do want to report on the official lives of the young royals. They're not getting a lot of material to work with, IMO.

I'm just trying to understand both sides...

Royal reporters like, Richard Palmer, aren't looking for a big scandal or anything like that. They really do want to report on the official lives of the young royals. They're not getting a lot of material to work with, IMO.

I'm just trying to understand both sides...

Do you follow his twitter? You obviously don't get him if you think he wants to only report on official lives.

Palmer says many times it's all about the 'narrative' and that his job as a royal reporter is to create 'mischief'

If he had his way the royals would be in a fish bowl 24/7 - Palmer is no different from any other tabloid reporter.

Unless someone has lived in Britain and experienced the tabloid press it's hard to appreciate.

It would be like American's having TMZ as their national news broadcaster

Do you follow his twitter? You obviously don't get him if you think he wants to only report on official lives.

Palmer says many times it's all about the 'narrative' and that his job as a royal reporter is to create 'mischief'

If he had his way the royals would be in a fish bowl 24/7 - Palmer is no different from any other tabloid reporter.

Unless someone has lived in Britain and experienced the tabloid press it's hard to appreciate.

It would be like American's having TMZ as their national news broadcaster

I'm very aware of Richard Palmer. There are times where they want to report on the royals private lives. I fully support the royals guarding their private lives. The reporters will just have to get over it.

On the other hand...the veteran royal reporters would like to report on the royals official lives with more insight. I think a few pictures, and more insight into the work the royals do behind the scenes would provide them with the stories they want to report on. It would also give us (longtime royal watchers) more insight into the royals official roles.

The "workshy" and "lazy" headlines isn't pleasant nor fair, but it must be officially addressed. Solutions must be found or things will continue to grow ugly, IMO.

I think this is spot on.

I believe there was a lot of resentment when only one photographer had access to the family on their ski trip.

(Usually the press gets pictures the first day and then lets them alone- an unspoken agreement that has always worked before. Now they won't be willing to do that, and the Cambridges will be hunted 24/7, imo).

The BRF knows first hand what happened during those ski trips and that the agreements made were not always honored. There is just too much financial incentive for the "money shot" of a royal falling, a frustrated child crying or an opportunity to misinterpret a facial expression or gesture.

"Would pictures of William doing the tasks Anne cheerfully does calm the press? I think not. William does good work, like all rescue pilots, though it is private.
When he represents the Queen, he does well."

I agree. Photos of the older, married, royals behaving well does not sell papers/magazines. Though the younger, single or "glamorous" ones spark some interest. William has moved into the former group but Kate is still in the latter. I believe that Harry is somewhere in the middle at this point in time.

Can I just explain for non UK people that youGov is an independent polling organisation and newspapers report their results. They are NOT part of the U.K. Media and connected, as seems to be assumed on earlier posts co ected to DM, Daily Express or any other paper. They are reporting the results.

I know this because my other half is regularly asked by YouGov to take part in polls so we know thebackgrou nd
Thank you cepe for this explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know being an air ambulance pilot seems quite hard rewarding working saving LIVES. I would love for William to write a statement calling out the media for their crap.

I don't know being an air ambulance pilot seems quite hard rewarding working saving LIVES. I would love for William to write a statement calling out the media for their crap.

I think William writing a statement calling out the media would be like feeding into trolls. Its what they want. They goad and push and shove until they get a reaction. Then they know it works and figure out new things they want and start the whole process all over again.

You're absolutely right that the job he does is very rewarding but can also be very stressful. Usually when an air ambulance called, its a critical issue and time is of the essence. It makes the difference between life and death. Of all the things that William does, I think this job is the one I admire him the most for.

^^^William is not the heir-to-the-throne as his father holds that role. His engagement numbers are close to those adult members of royal families ie siblings who undertake engagements for their families but are not the direct heirs.

Prince Charles named hardest working royal in Europe - with the Queen right behind him | Daily Mail Online

This is a DM article from December 2013 based upon one from Denmark's Ekstrabladett. It reviewed the number of days worked by a group of royals. (It does not cover engagement numbers.) William's father was considered the "hardest working royal" in this group made up of the Scandinavian royals and the BRF. William's numbers are in between Sweden's Carl-Phillip and Denmark's Joachim. In 2013 Joachim was still farming and William had spent most of 2013 as an RAF pilot. The other royals noted are monarchs and consorts, direct adult heirs and consorts and others ie: siblings.

Last edited:
I still wonder what on earth Kate does all day, apart from being a mum. Even just one shift a week would be more useful than collecting a long list of patronages that require very little on her part.

I've understood they do behind the scenes events as well. However since she's not a full time royal and has children, and apparently does most of the cooking etc.. she probably spends time doing that on a daily basis also.

LaRae

I still wonder what on earth Kate does all day, apart from being a mum. Even just one shift a week would be more useful than collecting a long list of patronages that require very little on her part.

Apart from being a wife and mother, Catherine is a working senior royal. Usually, meetings are held with her advisors and assistants. There's correspondents from her charities to go through as well. I'm sure she have her relaxing time, but the royals days are always busy.

I imagine there is a lot of reading involved. Who you are meeting, background of the organization etc. Last Thursday's suicide events would have required lots of pre engagement reading to learn more about the subject.

A foreign tour would also involve lots of prep work beforehand. The cultural aspects of each country, who you are meeting, the background for each specific engagement, their relationship with the U.K. etc.

She is also going to be involved in picking out her wardrobe for official events. A weeklong tour could be 20 plus outfits.

There also would be lots of invitations to accept or decline. They are filling in things months in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Quick question, do you have children?

I myself don't but from what others tell me being a mum is an incredibly hands on process. Being a mother and a wife are her two biggest priorities. Whilst I would love to see more of Catherine, I don't take anything away from her for being a hands on mother to those kids.

The fact you wrote "apart from being a mum", is incredibly rude I think.

Back
Top Bottom