What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've deleted a number of posts. This threads is not about the staff Charles employs. Nor is it about Catherine's clothing choices and whether she needs a stylist. Please keep the thread on topic, which is future duties and roles of William and Catherine.

Why do people keep going on and on about William and Catherine not being full time because that is the way the Queen and Charles want it.

Time after time William has said it was his decision.

He stated that in 2012 in the Katie Couric interview, he stated it again in ITV interview in 2016 and IIRC he said something along those lines in the Ant and Dec interview.

As far as not enough money, that was a one time event due to the money spent on the wedding and renovating KP.

^I'm no expert on the monarchy's expenses, but logic would tell me tours are specifically planned for at least a year in advance and funds are set aside for that particular reason. In addition, those aren't necessarily to benefit the royals on tour, but about representing Britain and foster better relations between countries. I suppose the British people could be asked to provide more money for engagements from their own pockets if they want to see W&K more. William doesn't pay for those engagements, Charles and the Crown's budget does. One thing's for sure, I don't see Charles taking money from his pocket to promote his son and daughter-in-law instead of using the money to promote him and Camilla as they are the next monarchs. Now one could make the argument that William should use his own money for the extra expenses (which for a fact there would be), but that's a separate conversation altogether.

Last edited:
Why do people keep going on and on about William and Catherine not being full time because that is the way the Queen and Charles want it.

He stated that in 2012 in the Katie Couric interview, he stated it again in ITV interview in 2016 and IIRC he said something along those lines in the Ant and Dec interview.

As far as not enough money, that was a one time event due to the money spent on the wedding and renovating KP.

I've always said, it's all down to a personal decision that's respected and supported by The Queen and Charles. William and Catherime don't have to wait for anyone tell them to become full time royals. They can make this move and it will be supported by The Queen and Charles as well. I think they know the reality is now right around the corner, and I think they're okay with it. They will balance family and duties well.

^I'm no expert on the monarchy's expenses, but logic would tell me tours are specifically planned for at least a year in advance and funds are set aside for that particular reason. In addition, those aren't necessarily to benefit the royals on tour, but about representing Britain and foster better relations between countries. I suppose the British people could be asked to provide more money for engagements from their own pockets if they want to see W&K more. William doesn't pay for those engagements, Charles and the Crown's budget does. One thing's for sure, I don't see Charles taking money from his pocket to promote his son and daughter-in-law instead of using the money to promote him and Camilla as they are the next monarchs. Now one could make the argument that William should use his own money for the extra expenses (which for a fact there would be), but that's a separate conversation altogether.

When the tour is to another Commonwealth realm like Australia or Canada, my understanding is that the visited realm pays for it, doesn't it ?

Yes, when they go realms like Canada, NZ and Australia it's on those countries dime. The California section of Canada tour was on behalf of UK government so they pay for that portion. Don't know about super small realms like when they went to the Solomons Islands and Tuvalu? However going there isn't very common.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I am not sure about others, but when the Queen visits Canada, yes we pick up the bill for her visit

Monarchy is a top down organisation. Both William and Harry in the last couple of weeks have reiterated the Queen is the 'Boss'

Monarchy and especially the British monarchy would never have survived all these years without discipline, and the notion the Queen allows everyone to just pick and choose what they want to do doesn't square with what we know about the Firm.

Of course individuals have to find their own way but at the end of the day everyone answers to the Queen.

What William says in those interviews is that HM has so far let him choose his own path i.e. that she could have gone the other way and he wouldn't have had much choice.

What I don't understand is why you think that HM and Charles are such weak individuals as to let their son and grandson dictate to them? Do you seriously think that anyone in that family tells the Queen what to do when it comes to the direction of the Firm? The person whom Harry only last week said he sees first and foremost as his 'boss' as opposed to his grandmother? Are we thinking of the same person?

The Queen is no dictator, but she's clearly still in charge. It doesn't take the IQ of Stephen Hawking to figure that, having had her semi-private family life derailed, first with her parents unexpectedly ascending the throne and then with her husband and young children upon her own accession, she wants to give her grandchildren and great-grandchildren what she was prematurely denied. This, to me, is the bottom line and is symptomatic of the Queen's generosity towards her family. I admire her very much for that.

In fairness Harry was talking about the military, not his role as a prince. The queen is commander in chief of the armed forces. So anyone from the newest recruit to the highest general would consider her their boss. This was not meant to be a comment on her role in his private life or royal life.

In India Prince William described himself as the "Queen's representative" and said his grandmother was "still very much the boss", as he read out a message from her and Prince Philip.

Yes, The Queen is their "Boss", but not a dictator though. She allows her family to make their own choices.

In fairness Harry was talking about the military, not his role as a prince. The queen is commander in chief of the armed forces. So anyone from the newest recruit to the highest general would consider her their boss. This was not meant to be a comment on her role in his private life or royal life.

Really? Because the quote given to the media was: "I still view her more as the Queen than my grandmother. You have this huge amount of respect for your boss and I always view her as my boss, but occasionally as a grandmother.”

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/11/prince-harry-queen-is-boss-first-grandmother-second/

All of this to say, there is also an argument to be made that the Queen is indeed the boss, and she has a big day on what William, Catherine, and Harry's roles currently are.

I was watching the video. And he was talking about having just left the military. That for the past 10 years he was reminded the queen want simply his grandmother, she was his boss. That he and all of his military comrades shared the same boss. The difference?? (which he pointed out) when they go home for Christmas with their families, he sits down for dinner with the boss. At least in that interview, he was referring to her as the commander and chief of the army, making her his boss in his military role. Not his role as prince.

Really? Because the quote given to the media was: "I still view her more as the Queen than my grandmother. You have this huge amount of respect for your boss and I always view her as my boss, but occasionally as a grandmother.”

Source: Prince Harry: Queen is boss first, grandmother second

All of this to say, there is also an argument to be made that the Queen is indeed the boss, and she has a big day on what William, Catherine, and Harry's roles currently are.

It is correct that Queen Elizabeth II is the boss. However she is also the grandmother to Princes William and Henry and the other grandchildren. Yes, it may be difficult to understand: Which occupation do put first Boss (employer) or Grandmother (relative)?

Source: Prince Harry: Queen is boss first, grandmother second

Thank you for posting his quote in full. I have to agree with your argument that QEII is the boss and will have the final say on the roles played by the various members of the BRF.:)

I was watching the video. And he was talking about having just left the military. That for the past 10 years he was reminded the queen want simply his grandmother, she was his boss. That he and all of his military comrades shared the same boss. The difference?? (which he pointed out) when they go home for Christmas with their families, he sits down for dinner with the boss. At least in that interview, he was referring to her as the commander and chief of the army, making her his boss in his military role. Not his role as prince.
I think you might be mixing it up. The story you are talking about is from the documentary that has already been aired (the one with Kate in it), while the quote people are talking about is from the documentary that has not yet been aired. Or at least that is how I've understood it.

That makes no sense to me at all. She is indeed the boss to the military and the boss to the royal family. The way the first video put it his comrades get to go home and be away from the boss but he has to go home and sit with the boss. I do not think he says that in a bad way just a matter of fact way. I believe no quote until I see it in it's entirety.

Monarchy is a top down organisation. Both William and Harry in the last couple of weeks have reiterated the Queen is the 'Boss'

Monarchy and especially the British monarchy would never have survived all these years without discipline, and the notion the Queen allows everyone to just pick and choose what they want to do doesn't square with what we know about the Firm.

Of course individuals have to find their own way but at the end of the day everyone answers to the Queen.

That's the point that really sticks out for me. I just can't believe that everyone in the RF goes about their own business and decides how they will be used in terms of royal engagements and how they will be viewed by the public. I think if that were true Andrew would have had his way and his daughters would be full time royals.

The way I look at it is that William, Kate, and Harry (and indeed every other member of the family) are not out there representing themselves, but the BRF. When it comes to their personal life, I do believe the Queen has allowed them to find their own way because she has learned from past experiences that it is best to do so. However, if that leeway extends to the direction of the firm and the Queen really does allow William and Kate to just decide how the monarchy will be represented then the BRF have a lot more to worry about than just a few royals being termed 'work-shy'.

We are a bit off topic. But what a number of you have said/quoted/referenced made me realize, more than ever that this family is at work when they are together. That there is not much relaxing during big family moments, even when were are not seeing them. Instead, there seems to be an undercurrent of always being measured and assessed by one another. It's a harsh dynamic without offsetting affection.
It makes William's obvious affection for his wife's family more understandable.

I don't think they are judging and an assessing each other but the press and Royal fans like here on this forum. They are the ones comparing engagement numbers. The Daily Mail writes a story that Sophie doesn't like Kate and disapproves of her parenting technique even though there is no evidence to support it and the evidence actually shows Sophie and Kate appear to get on well.

They are a family first. We see them interacting all the time. Kate and Andrew were chatting to each other during the Festival of Rememberance, during the Olympics we saw a wide variety of family at the various events together. Kate, Anne and Tim were on a boat watching the sailing. I would be scared to hang out with Anne on a boat for several hours. We have seen Zara, Autumn, Peter warmly hug Charles at Polo.

Wasn't William in the military as well?

Yes Wiliiam was also, he left the military before Harry.

LaRae

Most people are not ardent monarchists, but they support the monarchy for two reasons: 1 - Because it has always been there. 2 - They don't like politicians.

And here are some other facts to what you wrote:

1 - According to several experts, there are more people who support the monarchy today with a very critical press than it was in 1952 with a very uncritical press.

2 - There have always been many republicans in the parliament, but as former political editor of Sky News, and current presenter of Sky News Tonight Adam Bolton said in 2012, they are more careful about expressing them self now than they were in 70, 80 and 90s.

3 - It's also an known fact that if the young Queen had made some big mistakes in the 50s and 60s, it would have been much easier to abolish the monarchy then, than it had been today.

4 - William has not put a premium on privacy for himself and his family. He and Kate are not full-time working royals, but they have traweled on several official tours, did many walkabouts, he has given interviews both before and after he married Kate etc, and we will see much more of this in the future.

The monarchy is a big part of Britain's identity and as YouGov said last year, its here to stay.

This will be my last post on the monarchy's future in this thread.

I rarely ever post, but I think the Monarchy is here to stay for a very basic reason. It attracts tourists to the UK. They may be supported by tax payers, but they also make a lot of money for the country too. I would love to go to the UK , but if there were no royal family I could care less. There is a whole mystique that surrounds this, particularly to us Americans.

I rarely ever post, but I think the Monarchy is here to stay for a very basic reason. It attracts tourists to the UK. They may be supported by tax payers, but they also make a lot of money for the country too. I would love to go to the UK , but if there were no royal family I could care less. There is a whole mystique that surrounds this, particularly to us Americans.
I agree. I went to London two weeks ago, and as a person from a country without monarchy I was fascinated for being there. I kept 5 pounds because of the Queen's face :lol:
Around Buckingham Palace and the Victoria memorial there was so many people IMO, London attracts many people because of the Monarchy as well.

I think it helps tourism or at least adds a certain something to an already awesome trip. I went to the UK last year. It was cool to see actual working palaces, like BP and Windsor. While Westminster Abbey is famous for many many historic events beyond the most recent wedding, I admit it added something to the visit since I watched it on TV.

That said, given my love of history (especially British history), decorative arts, architecture, museums, etc.....the UK would have been well worth a visit whether they still had a royal family or not.

Let's get back on topic please.

Video: The Duke of Cambridge Interview-
Prince William: 'I don't lie awake waiting to be king' - BBC News

Prince William has done many interviews before, but this interview with BBC's Royal Correspondent, Nicholas Witchell, is by far the best interview William has ever done, IMO. Whereas other interviewers has carefully tiptoed around certain subjects with William, Nicholas went straight to the point with him and got the answers he wanted. I think we all wanted these answers.

I got the sense that William has a level head about his duties as a- husband, father, air ambulance pilot and future King. When his air ambulance contract ends, things will change and I think he's ready for it.

I don't like the title. I don't like how the question of becoming king sounds always misleading and reluctant. Yes, I sad that.

By the way, my favourite interview was the one with sky news. It went straight to the point as well.

It's always seems awkward when they interview William and Charles and ask about wanting to become King. When they do become King, it is a mix of emotions, you have the challenge of this new position but it comes with the death of your parent to get it.

Back
Top Bottom