The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Gentry

The press for Wills & co isn't going to get any better until he steps up and takes on some more responsibilities
He is the future King of England....
I know he's not the crown prince yet but he's close enough and when you look at the shockingly low number of public engagements he does compared to others in the BRF and his peers in other royal families you have to wonder why

Old 03-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^^IMHO the press isn't really interested in covering William's engagements and quite possibly Harry's as well. Photos of them meeting with charities, government officials and performing investitures are not selling papers/magazines. Photos of their private lives however are an entirely different manner. And with Harry they're really wanting photos of him on his off duty activities and/or with a new girlfriend. I believe the tabloids are truly after Kate and candid paparazzi style photos of the kids out and about. The same type of photos that they stalked and harassed their late mother for decades ago.

So the trio could increase their engagements but I believe those won't really satisfy the press' desire for intimate photos and details of their private lives.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Royal Highness

Will is called work shy for not working
Will releases photos of his children so all is forgiven
Will was on holiday when photos were taken but that's ok because he let us see some holiday snaps of the children. Winner !!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

William only left full-time military service two years ago. Which is expected of a future king

It's taken Charles and Anne decades to build up patronages and regiments but if we are to believe what we're told by Richard Palmer, the royal family is going to be reduced with hundreds of charities being scraped.

I believe that until Charles is king nothing drastic will change.

Prince Harry is much closer to the throne than Andrew , Edward or Anne and he's done just a few engagements this year.

The royal family does thousands of engagements a year and only a handful get covered in the national press so it's not about engagements. Edward and Sophie are currently in the Caribbean and no one is covering them at all.

What the tabloids want is Kate out and about and they figure the best way to achieve this is to try and goad William to becoming a full time royal
Old 03-09-2016, 05:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think the press do want to see the young royals working, and it's not all about just wanting to get to Catherine.

William & Catherine and Harry do a great deal behind the scenes, but unfortunately, their work don't get the proper highlighting as it should. The media would like to have opportunities to photograph the royals attending meetings, hosting lunches and dinners, but the palace don't publish any pictures of these events, nor do we hear anything about them. By doing this, I think, it does a disservice to the young royals and their work, it leaves the press out to dry and reduce them to searching for a royal topic to write about. Also, the public and royal watchers don't get a real insight into how hard working the young royals really are. It's an real and legit issue that I think the young royals and their palace officials should fix.

The Official Royal Court Circular really don't publish everything the young royals do. Also, the Monarchy website pretty much sucks when it comes to updates.

Now, I totally understand and fully support how the Cambridge's handled their recent family skiing trip. The press wants to go back to the time where they knew the locations where the royal family vacationed and met the royals there for pictures. It didn't work out so well back in the day, and now William & Catherine are doing the family vacations their own way. Members of the media will just have to suck it up and understand the Cambridge family position on this.

I do think their should be more transparency between the young royals, palace officials and the media when it comes down to official royal duties though. The young royals aren't lazy or workshy, but when there's less insight on the official work William & Catherine and Harry do behind the scenes, when not conducting public engagements, it gives the impression the young royals aren't doing their fair share.

Just my take on things...

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It seems to be a general consensus that William should "up his game" and get out there and do more of what royals are supposed to do and he's "work shy" because he's not living up to the expectations of some.

From what I've read, it seems like it is thought that it is almost a given that William can up his game at any point in time whenever he wants but he doesn't want to. Do we really know this is the case? Who does what and where and how they get there is up to the head CEO of the Firm which is HM, The Queen herself and those that are well above William in the Firm's hierarchy.

As the Queen's reign is heading into the sunset years, I don't think it'd really be wise to have W&K as the "power couple" doing full time royal duties 24/7 as it would naturally draw attention away from the actual heir to the throne. Their time to shine as the heir and consort will come when Charles ascends the throne.

I think things are just fine as they are now. The Firm has never been one to bend under media pressure and I don't believe it will start now.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-09-2016, 05:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It seems to be a general consensus that William should "up his game" and get out there and do more of what royals are supposed to do and he's "work shy" because he's not living up to the expectations of some.

From what I've read, it seems like it is thought that it is almost a given that William can up his game at any point in time whenever he wants but he doesn't want to. Do we really know this is the case? Who does what and where and how they get there is up to the head CEO of the Firm which is HM, The Queen herself and those that are well above William in the Firm's hierarchy.

As the Queen's reign is heading into the sunset years, I don't think it'd really be wise to have W&K as the "power couple" doing full time royal duties 24/7 as it would naturally draw attention away from the actual heir to the throne. Their time to shine as the heir and consort will come when Charles ascends the throne.

I think things are just fine as they are now. The Firm has never been one to bend under media pressure and I don't believe it will start now.
I thought William did up his game by conducting Investitures on the Queen's behalf, he and Catherine now attend State Visits and the Royal Diplomatic Corps receptions. Catherine just took on her first military appointment and more is due to come. To me, the Cambridge's have stepped up their game officially, but the problem is less transparency between the palace and media on the young royals work when they're not conducting official engagements publically and there's less picture opportunities.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I thought William did up his game by conducting Investitures on the Queen's behalf, he and Catherine now attend State Visits and the Royal Diplomatic Corps receptions. Catherine just took on her first military appointment and more is due to come. To me, the Cambridge's have stepped up their game officially, but the problem is less transparency between the palace and media on the young royals work when they're not conducting official engagements publically and there's less picture opportunities.
You see it, I see it and the rest of us here sees it but obviously the media is less than impressed and still call Wills "work shy" and "gentleman farmer" and whatever else they can think to throw at him. If they don't have anything to write about, their aim is to goad them into doing something to fill their articles with.

One thing W&K are not going to allow to happen is for anyone to cackle with glee at having their "cash cows". They're above that and know from experience that you give a inch, they'll want a mile. To set the rules and the line in the sand of what they will not and cannot tolerate from the get go is going to make it easier for them when they do step into the glaring limelight as full time royals. In this respect, I think its wiser not to publicize each and every move they make behind the scenes.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-09-2016, 06:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with everything you've stated Osipi.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
William only left full-time military service two years ago. Which is expected of a future king

It's taken Charles and Anne decades to build up patronages and regiments but if we are to believe what we're told by Richard Palmer, the royal family is going to be reduced with hundreds of charities being scraped.

I believe that until Charles is king nothing drastic will change.

Prince Harry is much closer to the throne than Andrew , Edward or Anne and he's done just a few engagements this year.

The royal family does thousands of engagements a year and only a handful get covered in the national press so it's not about engagements. Edward and Sophie are currently in the Caribbean and no one is covering them at all.

What the tabloids want is Kate out and about and they figure the best way to achieve this is to try and goad William to becoming a full time royal
I agree. The good work done by the older members of the BRF is IMO too often ignored in favor of the younger ones so I agree it is not just about engagements.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I think the press do want to see the young royals working, and it's not all about just wanting to get to Catherine.

William & Catherine and Harry do a great deal behind the scenes, but unfortunately, their work don't get the proper highlighting as it should. The media would like to have opportunities to photograph the royals attending meetings, hosting lunches and dinners, but the palace don't publish any pictures of these events, nor do we hear anything about them. By doing this, I think, it does a disservice to the young royals and their work, it leaves the press out to dry and reduce them to searching for a royal topic to write about. Also, the public and royal watchers don't get a real insight into how hard working the young royals really are. It's an real and legit issue that I think the young royals and their palace officials should fix.

The Official Royal Court Circular really don't publish everything the young royals do. Also, the Monarchy website pretty much sucks when it comes to updates.

Now, I totally understand and fully support how the Cambridge's handled their recent family skiing trip. The press wants to go back to the time where they knew the locations where the royal family vacationed and met the royals there for pictures. It didn't work out so well back in the day, and now William & Catherine are doing the family vacations their own way. Members of the media will just have to suck it up and understand the Cambridge family position on this.

I do think their should be more transparency between the young royals, palace officials and the media when it comes down to official royal duties though. The young royals aren't lazy or workshy, but when there's less insight on the official work William & Catherine and Harry do behind the scenes, when not conducting public engagements, it gives the impression the young royals aren't doing their fair share.

Just my take on things...

This is one area where I think the Swedish RF really excels at. If there's a meeting or Official Working Dinner, it's both on the Official Calendar for all to see and at least one picture taken, then posted to their Official Website. So the public does know they're working hard behind the scenes and not just doing the glitzy engagements.

The British RF could do it this way too and it would certainly help w/the "work shy" stupidity that's on going.

JMO and 2 cents Cdn.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 03-09-2016, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^^The Spanish courts follows a similar pattern to the Swedish counterparts. I agree it is a good way to demonstrate that the BRF is working, but this may be a change that will happen when one reign ends and another begins.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
This is one area where I think the Swedish RF really excels at. If there's a meeting or Official Working Dinner, it's both on the Official Calendar for all to see and at least one picture taken, then posted to their Official Website. So the public does know they're working hard behind the scenes and not just doing the glitzy engagements.

The British RF could do it this way too and it would certainly help w/the "work shy" stupidity that's on going.

JMO and 2 cents Cdn.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
I agree. I think it's important for the royals official work behind the scenes to be highlighted. The nasty "workshy" headlines would not only go away, but everyone would get a chance to see the young royals at work, and folks would be chance to see what it really takes to be a working senior royal. Again, it's about transparency. Outside of the few and far between engagements the young royals carry out, the media is looking for a good and legit royal story to cover. When scarce material is given, the media get testy.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-09-2016, 08:12 PM
Royal Highness

Stumbled upon this yesterday when researching Prince Charles' riding career.

William has been labeled workshy for some time. Here is a Sun's article from March of 2009.

Quote:
Prince William has reportedly been lectured by his father Charles to involve himself in more royal commitments.

The report comes just a few weeks after the 26-year-old was accused in a TV documentary of carrying out only 14 engagements as compared to his father, who touched 84 at the same age.

A palace adviser added: "William is a very lucky young man who lives an extremely comfortable life.

"But he often doesn't see that his privileged life comes with some serious responsibilities."
Prince Charles ?lectures Wills to do more royal duties? | TopNews
Old 03-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

When it comes to privacy for the Cambridge family. I support them, and the royal family and palace support them too. I just think, if everyone want to give this marriage and family life a chance to survive, a certain amount of privacy is needed. William and Catherine must be able to sit back, relax, and be able to be husband and wife and parents without having the media shoved down their throats.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-09-2016, 08:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Stumbled upon this yesterday when researching Prince Charles' riding career.

William has been labeled workshy for some time. Here is a Sun's article from March of 2009.

The report comes just a few weeks after the 26-year-old was accused in a TV documentary of carrying out only 14 engagements as compared to his father, who touched 84 at the same age.
Its comparing rutabagas and parsnips. Charles was heir to the throne and a full time royal at the time while at the same age, William was heir to the heir, in the military and doing some royal engagements.

The fishing for cash cows has gone on for a long time hasn't it?
― John Lennon
Old 03-09-2016, 08:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
When it comes to privacy for the Cambridge family. I support them, and the royal family and palace support them too. I just think, if everyone want to give this marriage and family life a chance to survive, a certain amount of privacy is needed. William and Catherine must be able to sit back, relax, and be able to be husband and wife and parents without having the media shoved down their throats.
Just like the Queen and Prince Phillip had early in their marriage and she was the heir! Heck they lived in Malta when the DoE was stationed there!

LaRae
Old 03-09-2016, 08:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Just like the Queen and Prince Phillip had early in their marriage and she was the heir! Heck they lived in Malta when the DoE was stationed there!

LaRae
Yeah, unfortunately, that was during a time when the media held the Monarchy in high regard and respected their right to privacy.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately, that was during a time when the media held the Monarchy in high regard and respected their right to privacy.
They (media) don't have enough sense to not kill the goose that lays the golden egg nowdays. They just want to cause trouble.

Similar to the US as well...Just think if Kennedy was running now. HA.

LaRae
Old 03-09-2016, 09:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Its comparing rutabagas and parsnips. Charles was heir to the throne and a full time royal at the time while at the same age, William was heir to the heir, in the military and doing some royal engagements.

The fishing for cash cows has gone on for a long time hasn't it?
In 1974/1975 Charles was still in the Navy when he was 26 years old.
Charles left the Navy in 1977.

Sorry do not understand your 2nd comment, please explain.