The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-24-2016, 09:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm thinking that a big vital point here is missing as far as William and his low numbers as far as royal engagements and duties. Its been stated over and over that William, himself, doesn't want to be a full time royal. Its been stated that William's employment with EAAA is lackadaisical at best and people have to cover for him.

This is exactly how things were planned out to be. Its not that William doesn't want to be a full time royal, its been decided that he isn't needed to be a full time royal and that comes from his father and his grandmother who, when you think about it, hold all the cards to how things are going to work. If either Charles or the Queen thought that William should be a full time royal, that's exactly what he would be.

With EAAA, it has always been the arrangement that as welcome that William is to their crew, it was understood that they would work together to ensure that William's other responsibilities in his life could be met.

Neither EAAA or The Firm owes any accounting to how they run things and what arrangements are made or how things are scheduled and carried out to the general public.

Basically, all that is happening with the "workshy" stories and the hours he's worked or hasn't worked is pure speculation on how things *might* be.
In other words, the Firm operates much like any other company with orders coming from the top down to the workers.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:26 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm really starting to believe that its not about the number of engagements or royal titles or even being an heir to the heir. Its about getting life right. This family is also a very human family that just happens to live in a fishbowl where everything they do or or don't do is dissected, analyzed and these royal figures are moved around on a chessboard as we would like them to be.

I don't think there is one member of the British Royal Family that is exempt from wishing things were different than they were/are. HM probably could have done without becoming Queen Regnant at a very young age. Philip might have wanted to keep active with his military career longer. Charles may daydream about being an ordinary farmer with plenty of time for painting and Harry finding a career as a game warden in Africa. You get the picture. It was in this vein that William was expressing his difficulty at one time in finding a balance that works. I think balance is the key word here.

Perhaps over the years with the mistakes that were made and resulting chaos that followed, they've come to realize that although duty and service are what is expected of them and they do give it freely, it shouldn't be that their own happiness and well being suffers because of it.

These are very human people and not puppets.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-24-2016, 08:30 PM
Heir Apparent

BRILLIANT!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-24-2016, 08:38 PM
Royal Highness

Almost everyone wishes their life was different be it money job health family etc etc and almost nobody can change it royal or not. For most of us the worry about having a roof over our head food on the table bills paid prevent us from doing it. Being royal would be hard but so is life for most people.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 02-24-2016, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Almost everyone wishes their life was different be it money job health family etc etc and almost nobody can change it royal or not. For most of us the worry about having a roof over our head food on the table bills paid prevent us from doing it. Being royal would be hard but so is life for most people.

I understand what you are saying but if given the opportunity, then people would take it. My father was given the opportunity to move out of appalling housing in London post war and away from the pollution and he took it - even though he got all sorts of arguments against it from his family. But he thought it right for the future and his children

William has been given the opportunity and he's taken it. I know that they are not as senior but the Wessexes also take the opportunity given - no engagements at half term or long school holidays - this never used to happen but that's how they manage the mix of work and family life.

William and Catherine have the opportunity now, the media don't like it and KP are rubbish (IMO) at dealing with it.

Please bring back Jamie L-P

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-24-2016, 09:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Brilliant posts from cepe and Osipi!.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:01 PM
Courtier

When William inherits the British throne, he will take the BRF back to a time when they hid behind palace walls and felt their lives were off limits to the public. But this is why many royal families, who are supported by their citizens, have gotten their arses kicked out onto the streets. Let's face it, royal families are wealthy from taking property and possessions for centuries from whomever they chose because they could, just even a few centuries back. They stole from their subjects and overtime they amassed great wealth. William is only entitled to have a basic private life, he owes everything else to his public. His ancestors many years back decided the oldest boy eventually becomes king and William is in that category. So if he does not want to devote himself, because of the rules of the family he was born into, to his public, he should walk out of the door of his home/palace, just keep walking and never look back. It is not the British public who put him in his position, it is his family that is responsible. He may not like it, but the public has the right to see pictures of his children, especially George, because he too falls into the same category as William. Royals should be always on public display - it's only harassment to invade his private living quarters - which was indirectly provided courtesy of British subjects robbed by the BRF many moons ago. Don't feel sorry for any royal boohooing over their lack of privacy - they are not owed that by anybody. You want to stay royal, then deal with the situation your decided for you by your ancestors. You, and your family,owe your citizens your life and livelihood and smile sincerely and be grateful you have been blessed with so much in life. Stop whining - if you don't like it, walk completely away (=live off your wages only) and never look back. I think many Brits would love to get rid of him and many more of their very expensive welfare cases. Rant over!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2016, 11:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

I disagree because all people should have the right to privacy be they public figures or not. I do not believe that in the future that the BRF will be enclosed behind palace walls in the scenario that you have described. In the future, I believe William and Kate will continue to release photos of their family on a regular basis much like his parents and grandparents did The royal engagements, tours, state visits, ceremonial events etc...will continue to be covered by the media. However until their children are adults, I do believe they will request that their privacy be respected. I've observed that other European monarchies have similar policies in place with their nation's media. They release photos of the children and provide opportunities for the press to photograph them at certain royal family events:ie National Day parades, throne ascensions etc.. The Netherlands has had its media code in place since 2005. While it was initially grumbled about by the tabloid press and the royals made good on their promise to pursue legal action for unauthorized photos, it still exists today and the Dutch royals have been given their privacy while being photographed going about their duties.

However I doubt we will see a type of relationship that his late mother had with the tabloid press. I do believe that Diana had good intentions but ultimately it grew beyond her control. She was harassed continuously until her death by the tabloid press and yes I do believe that influences her sons' decisions to this day.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:13 AM
Commoner

Agree, TLLK.

Regarding the property owned by Royals: I think most of the people in the world live on land that used to belong to other people in the past. I'm pretty sure my house in the US is built on land previously claimed by an American Indian tribe. Most land in the US was stolen from Indians. So, too, with Europeans. A lot of Europe was settled by people who drove out previous owners. Most cities are built over land previously owned by Victorian, medieval, Roman, Normans, Saxons, and prehistoric people. As the saying is: possession is 9/10 of the law. So I don't begrudge the Royals' land or possessions. Most of what they have is owned by the state, anyway. Parenthetically, I DO resent the Barons of Wall Street, who have way too much influence over governments and markets.

Everyone deserves a private life. I think the BRF gives a lot of time, effort, and thought to the UK. William will one day be king, but he is currently behind HM and PoW. He'll have a quiet time now, and a very busy time when he is old. I wouldn't want his life--I'm enjoying retirement too much!
Old 02-25-2016, 05:12 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
When William inherits the British throne, he will take the BRF back to a time when they hid behind palace walls and felt their lives were off limits to the public. But this is why many royal families, who are supported by their citizens, have gotten their arses kicked out onto the streets. Let's face it, royal families are wealthy from taking property and possessions for centuries from whomever they chose because they could, just even a few centuries back. They stole from their subjects and overtime they amassed great wealth. William is only entitled to have a basic private life, he owes everything else to his public. His ancestors many years back decided the oldest boy eventually becomes king and William is in that category. So if he does not want to devote himself, because of the rules of the family he was born into, to his public, he should walk out of the door of his home/palace, just keep walking and never look back. It is not the British public who put him in his position, it is his family that is responsible. He may not like it, but the public has the right to see pictures of his children, especially George, because he too falls into the same category as William. Royals should be always on public display - it's only harassment to invade his private living quarters - which was indirectly provided courtesy of British subjects robbed by the BRF many moons ago. Don't feel sorry for any royal boohooing over their lack of privacy - they are not owed that by anybody. You want to stay royal, then deal with the situation your decided for you by your ancestors. You, and your family,owe your citizens your life and livelihood and smile sincerely and be grateful you have been blessed with so much in life. Stop whining - if you don't like it, walk completely away (=live off your wages only) and never look back. I think many Brits would love to get rid of him and many more of their very expensive welfare cases. Rant over!!!!!!!
The alternative you present such as the royals walking away from everything would probably end up with the UK having an elected head of state who would expect (as in many other countries) that the taxpayer foot the bill for everything they do with all kinds of perks included. They would be expected to be paid royally (pun intended) in compensation for what they do. I would also wager that this type of Head of State would be far to busy to engage in any real kind of charitable endeavors.

I think the UK (with William as a future monarch and Head of State) needs to realize that the royal family isn't defined by their lands, their priceless treasures or their bank accounts. They are human beings. I'm just hoping that by the time George reaches the time he would ascend the throne, there is still a throne to ascend to. Or even a UK for that matter.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-25-2016, 08:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think that what the British press, and public, would like to see is that a 33-year-old able bodied man, who does receive many perks at the expense of the British taxpayer, work somewhere, just somewhere close to 40 hours per week. As far as we can see, he doesn't come near it.

That's the issue, not whether they are human beings, or needs a private life, etc, etc. Nobody quibbles with that, that's not the issue. But I'll point out that IF the sources are true, and Will does not even work a 20 hour shift and took off the entire month of December, leaving others to give up part of the holiday they would have off, in order to cover for him, then he's not treating anybody very well, is he? Nor does he give a toss about their private life. Would you agree, that if he is not pulling his weight, and that's an "IF" at this point, he's not merely idle. He's selfish.

And IF this is merely a PR problem, then Will had better spend what great or little free time he has getting some competent people on board.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I think that what the British press, and public, would like to see is that a 33-year-old able bodied man, who does receive many perks at the expense of the British taxpayer, work somewhere, just somewhere close to 40 hours per week. As far as we can see, he doesn't come near it.

That's the issue, not whether they are human beings, or needs a private life, etc, etc. Nobody quibbles with that, that's not the issue. But I'll point out that IF the sources are true, and Will does not even work a 20 hour shift and took off the entire month of December, leaving others to give up part of the holiday they would have off, in order to cover for him, then he's not treating anybody very well, is he? Nor does he give a toss about their private life. Would you agree, that if he is not pulling his weight, and that's an "IF" at this point, he's not merely idle. He's selfish.

And IF this is merely a PR problem, then Will had better spend what great or little free time he has getting some competent people on board.

I don't think that we have enough credible information to say that William is treating other people badly or that he's being selfish. BUT I do wish this entire episode would have been handled better by BP, and I do wish that they publicized or put out more information about what goes on behind the scenes. Sounds like it's time for another "day in the life of royals" series, but this time with someone other than the queen.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm really starting to believe that its not about the number of engagements or royal titles or even being an heir to the heir. Its about getting life right. This family is also a very human family that just happens to live in a fishbowl where everything they do or or don't do is dissected, analyzed and these royal figures are moved around on a chessboard as we would like them to be.

I don't think there is one member of the British Royal Family that is exempt from wishing things were different than they were/are. HM probably could have done without becoming Queen Regnant at a very young age. Philip might have wanted to keep active with his military career longer. Charles may daydream about being an ordinary farmer with plenty of time for painting and Harry finding a career as a game warden in Africa. You get the picture. It was in this vein that William was expressing his difficulty at one time in finding a balance that works. I think balance is the key word here.

Perhaps over the years with the mistakes that were made and resulting chaos that followed, they've come to realize that although duty and service are what is expected of them and they do give it freely, it shouldn't be that their own happiness and well being suffers because of it.

These are very human people and not puppets.
If a royal wants a normal life, then walk away and leave the royal life behind (=start with 00000 in the bank) and no handouts of any kind from any royal family member or anything gotten from being a royal, such as no house from granny/father, no land from any of them either. In other words, don't walk away independently wealthy like the Duke of Windsor did. Walk away penniless and pay for everything with your earnings, like a majority of people on this Earth. You don't have to cut all familial ties, just all of the financial ones. Let's be honest, some royals have walked away with nothing because they want it that way. I believe one of King Leopold I I I of Belgium's daughter did just that. There is also a Prince of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha that lives in Canada and works a normal job. He and his family visit relatives in Germany, but that's the extent of it. Walking away is doable only if you really want to. It seems so many ex-royals crave media attention, but if restored to their former thrones, would start whining again. Let HRH THE Duke of Cambridge keep whining and he to may one day become an ex-royal. Most of Britain would say good riddance and I also have no sympathy for him. He should thank his higher power constantly and consistently for being born into a family that can GIVE him the best in life.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Walking away doesn't do anything for William because he can't renounced the rights to the throne for George or Charlotte. If William converts to Catholicism tomorrow which is the only way right to remove him from the line of succession. George and Charlotte are still there before Harry.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:19 PM
Serene Highness

William does seem to want it all ways and that's impossible so he has to make a choice. If I was to walk up to the gates of Buckingham Palace, for example, and request that my children get to play in the palace pool like Prince George does I would get told no and that George gets this because he's royal. On the upside, my children get to play in public areas without getting their photos taken by the press because they are not royal. But, hang on, William thinks that his children ought to get that too. The bottom line is that he and his family can't get it every way and his moaning really is tiresome to say the least.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
William does seem to want it all ways and that's impossible so he has to make a choice. If I was to walk up to the gates of Buckingham Palace, for example, and request that my children get to play in the palace pool like Prince George does I would get told no and that George gets this because he's royal. On the upside, my children get to play in public areas without getting their photos taken by the press because they are not royal. But, hang on, William thinks that his children ought to get that too. The bottom line is that he and his family can't get it every way and his moaning really is tiresome to say the least.
Isn't part of the royalty gig specifically that they do have privilege?
And by your reckoning, anyone, including the regular staff who use the palace pool (and they do) should have to parade in public for pictures, right? Or maybe it is that anyone who uses the pool should "pay" with hours of labor in kind. Again, that's never how I have understood royalty to work. Or BP palace pool use either.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Isn't part of the royalty gig specifically that they do have privilege?
And by your reckoning, anyone, including the regular staff who use the palace pool (and they do) should have to parade in public for pictures, right? Or maybe it is that anyone who uses the pool should "pay" with hours of labor in kind. Again, that's never how I have understood royalty to work. Or BP palace pool use either.
I interpret sophie25's comment to mean that William has the right, due to his position of privilege, to use the Palace pool that most people (ignoring the employees for now, because they have contractual privileges) cannot use, but he also wants to use the places that ordinary people have access to and he wants to be able to do that without being photographed.

He wants to be Royal and eventually king, and to be able to enjoy the enormous privileges attached to that position, and for people to be on their very best behaviour around him and call him Your Royal Highness and Sir and to bow to him, and for his wife to be dressed in expensive clothes and wear fabulous jewellery that only that family has access to, but he also wants to be treated like an ordinary person when it suits him. He wants everything, and he wants it on his own terms, and he whines when he doesn't get his way, and a lot of people are fed up with him.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Lots of wealthy people have access to things other's don't, people more wealthy than the royals. There's nothing wrong with that...if you want it bad enough, work for it.

IIRC I've never heard that William (or Harry) requiring their titles or 'sir' to be used, let alone requiring bows and curtsey's.

I think it's ok that he wants to try to be somewhat 'normal' when he can (and I think the people want and expect it) ...I don't think the monarchy can ever go back to how it used to be with the wall of separation pre-Diana or even pre-the Queen Mother. In other countries the monarchies are much more 'normal' ...seems to me the main reason the BRF can't allow that close access is due to the public demand (media demand) to their lives...they have to be able to retreat. This really is no different than a wealthy person or a celeb.

The monarchy is a Tradition. Few believe there's some sort of God given right or special bloodline that makes one royal. The royals have very little power left. As long as the people want that Tradition the will expect a balance...but I think as time goes on they will phase down more as things change culturally.

LaRae
Old 02-27-2016, 08:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^^ Good post Pranter. Also if you were to do a bit of research at the British Monarchy website, it explains that no one is required to use titles, bow or curtsy when meeting a member of the BRF. However many people ask how to follow the tradition so they explain it. If someone chooses to work for a royal family, then they can expect to follow the traditions of that royal house.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:38 PM
Gentry

Prince William dubbed 'workshy' after it was revelaed he only works 80 hours a week | Royal | News | Daily Express

Interesting article and another perspective on William's role. I must say I was surprised Camilla would write such a supportive article considering her previous criticisms of Wills and Kate. I'm sure it won't be popular among Harry fans