The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-26-2018, 08:26 AM
Nobility

When Charles becomes King, how big an increase in his royal workload is William likely to see?

Obviously he will have new responsibility with the Duchy of Cornwall but this in itself won't lead to an increase in his public role.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
When Charles becomes King, how big an increase in his royal workload is William likely to see?

Obviously he will have new responsibility with the Duchy of Lancaster but this in itself won't lead to an increase in his public role.
He has already stepped up his workload considerably since becoming a full time working senior royal.

According to Iluvbertie's tallies from the Court Circular on engagments, William is almost on an even level with the Countess of Wessex as far as engagements.

HRH The Countess of Wessex – 77
HRH The Duke of Cambridge – 73

I don't see William being involved at all with the Duchy of Lancaster as that is the King's domain and is a separate organization in and of itself. He might, on occasion, begin to learn the workings of the Duchy of Lancaster over time just as he is now getting more and more involved with the running and management structure of the Duchy of Cornwall which he will inherit when Charles becomes King.

When Charles becomes King, William will be titled as the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge in case you're wondering.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-26-2018, 09:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
He has already stepped up his workload considerably since becoming a full time working senior royal.

According to Iluvbertie's tallies from the Court Circular on engagments, William is almost on an even level with the Countess of Wessex as far as engagements.

HRH The Countess of Wessex – 77
HRH The Duke of Cambridge – 73

I don't see William being involved at all with the Duchy of Lancaster as that is the King's domain and is a separate organization in and of itself. He might, on occasion, begin to learn the workings of the Duchy of Lancaster over time just as he is now getting more and more involved with the running and management structure of the Duchy of Cornwall which he will inherit when Charles becomes King.

When Charles becomes King, William will be titled as the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge in case you're wondering.
Sorry I meant Duchy of Cornwall and have edited my post now.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

S'ok. I do that all the time and usually its a big indication that I haven't had enough coffee in me yet.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:07 PM
Majesty

Unfortunately, it doesn't look all that good being on par with his Aunt. She is way older than him and he should be moving forward as Charles heir. Unfortunately, having another baby in the house is going to slow him down as we live in a world of co-parenting. Catherine will want to have the odd engagement if only to get out of the house and we should see both of them at Royal Ascot if only for Ladies Day.

I do not mean he should be taking on heaps of engagements but rather raising his profile, is seen here and there. We need to see him at the World Cup and Wimbledon just as much as the Opening night at the Ballet, Opera, Theatre, etc. a man for all seasons or, more correctly, a man with wide interests and knowledge.

Sadly, that takes really good PR and KP have never been noted for their expertise in that area
Old 04-26-2018, 08:12 PM
Majesty

There is nothing stopping them from co-parenting and still working. These aren't people who have to worry about someone home with the kids. They have a loving nanny who works full time, and a housekeeper whose duties included 'part time babysitting' when needed.

When off maternity leave, there is no reason that both of them cant take on more duties. Many parents work 40 hours a week with kids. Doing even 2 or 3 engagements a week would not make them bad parents. 6 hours a week away from the kids??? Many parents would be happy at such a luxury. With the older kids in school, even easier. Kate goes to an engagement at the national gallery at night for 2 hours, still has all day with the 2 youngest, and afternoon with George. The kids would likely be in bed.

Living in London, they don't have to leave the kids over night for many duties.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:12 PM
Majesty

William’s aunt built up her profile over decades just like his father. Here’s a question. Should Harry at sixth in line be doing more than his aunt who’s thirteenth in line?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
William’s aunt built up her profile over decades just like his father. Here’s a question. Should Harry at sixth in line be doing more than his aunt who’s thirteenth in line?
Perhaps that is best left for the Harry thread This is the Cambridge thread.

Anne's work ethic is not going to vanish because her place in line for succession falls. She is the princess royal, and daughter of the monarch. Until she retires, I doubt she will ever slow down. For her its simple old fashioned work ethic.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think the Aunt that Marg was referring to is Sophie as its Sophie's and William's recent tally of engagements that I was referring go. Sophie is just slightly ahead of William this year in numbers of engagements.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think the Aunt that Marg was referring to is Sophie as its Sophie's and William's recent tally of engagements that I was referring go. Sophie is just slightly ahead of William this year in numbers of engagements.
No matter how you slice it my point still stands regarding Harry.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

I just think of all of it as "Team Windsor". Its not a competition or a race to the top of the heap like who sells the most Girl Scout cookies.

Aw crap... now I want Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

Indeed, we can discuss Harry's future in the Prince Harry Leaving the Army (June 2015): What will he do now? thread. Meghan also has her own thread here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ies-43858.html
Old 10-31-2018, 07:52 PM
Nobility

Would people consider William and Harry's roles in the BRF to have diverged so far?
Old 10-31-2018, 08:02 PM
Majesty

Not a lot, especially when they were both part-time and many of their engagements centred on charities within the umbrella of the Royal Foundation and on the Heads Together campaign. It will diverge more and more in the future though, especially as the Queen undertakes fewer public engagements.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
There is nothing stopping them from co-parenting and still working. These aren't people who have to worry about someone home with the kids. They have a loving nanny who works full time, and a housekeeper whose duties included 'part time babysitting' when needed.

When off maternity leave, there is no reason that both of them cant take on more duties. Many parents work 40 hours a week with kids. Doing even 2 or 3 engagements a week would not make them bad parents. 6 hours a week away from the kids??? Many parents would be happy at such a luxury. With the older kids in school, even easier. Kate goes to an engagement at the national gallery at night for 2 hours, still has all day with the 2 youngest, and afternoon with George. The kids would likely be in bed.

Living in London, they don't have to leave the kids over night for many duties.
All the hours that go into preparing for visits and/or (new) Royal Foundation projects seem to be missing in the above quotation. While I agree that there is still room for additional engagements, it's not that they only work the hours mentioned in the CC and can spend all time left with their children.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
All the hours that go into preparing for visits and/or (new) Royal Foundation projects seem to be missing in the above quotation. While I agree that there is still room for additional engagements, it's not that they only work the hours mentioned in the CC and can spend all time left with their children.
Yes all the hours their staff do into planning events and speeches and more is a lot.

I am sorry but implying royals even work part time jobs is a stretch. For an event where they don't make a speech or anything, I highly doubt they do more then maybe an hour of reading a brief that was made by their staff. This is something easily done over tea when the kids are in bed.

Again even if they spent 3-4 hours a day doing leg work, that is hardly making them not hands on parents. When you have full time childcare, house care, gardener and even cook, you can give up a few hours to paper work.

Co parenting doesn't require either parent to work less then part time.

And before I get jumped on for attacking the couple, goes for All royals.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:08 AM
Commoner

That is simply not true. I've seen a video where Princess Anne and others talk about the hours of prep work they do before an engagement.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

I distinctly remember when Kate was organizing a basket to be auctioned off for one of her charities (I can't remember which one off hand) from her hospital bed when she had HG with George.

As their royal roles grew and their Foundation keeps adding more and more projects, its pretty much a given thing that the order of things would change. We have William preparing for his role as the Duke of Cornwall/Prince of Wales while Harry will most likely be focused on Commonwealth youth incentives. Even with the Foundation, each project such as United for Wildlife has its own structure intact for management. Keeping abreast of things that are happening with the different incentives and projects is an ongoing thing. That's why we see a lot of "The Duke of Cambridge today attended a meeting with XXX of YYY" in the CC.

That's why each royal has a private secretary to keep the order of things going smoothly as far as their day planners. Things get added to the planners months in advance and everything goes according to plan even to the point of deciding on the wardrobe for the event. When you think of it this way, you realize how these royals can't just decide to "call into work sick" unless its a dire necessity (like Kate's HG) as there is so much work and planning put into these events and the last thing a royal wants to do is let people down.

We all are used to having schedules but I don't believe any of us have lived with a schedule where things are planned and executed right down to the minute. That, in and of itself, would be totally stressful for me. Then again, I'm retired and my time is my own. The working royals have to schedule their times of their own in advance for the most part.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
That is simply not true. I've seen a video where Princess Anne and others talk about the hours of prep work they do before an engagement.
Exactly, they also have weekly meetings to decide which invitations to accept or not to accept. And especially for the women they spend far more time than I would personally like buying new clothes and dressing up for each and every engagement.

So, while Catherine clearly is part-time and prioritizes taking care of the children (with indeed the help of others - so managing staff is probably also part of her 'job'), I expect William to work about full-time, just not in a regular day job.