The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-27-2017, 10:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Still Philip isn't probably going to dump 600 organizations in the next couple of months. We only saw the Queen pass on 20 some charities earlier this year. When Charles becomes King, a lot of his charities related to Cornwall and Wales are going to go to William and Kate. William will probably switch over from Irish Guards to replace his father with the Welsh.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:22 PM
Courtier

I really don't think that the numbers on a piece of paper is going to show how much work the Cambridge's are doing. It is about quality not quantity and lots of that time is spent in meetings going over everything in each institution that they are involved in. We do not know all the ins and outs of behind closed door and never will. IMO with time they will take on more and more as each generation does. Wishing them the very best in this new adventure in life.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:26 PM
Majesty

I believe it will be a difficult time for both William and Catherine. They have been enabled to live a life relatively free from any real commitment with Williams job being a very small part-time obligation and then there are those they were involved with and, to be honest, William was less than committed to those causes other than the trio's Foundation.

The BAFTA's, of which William has been President since 2010, has only been graced by his presence twice until this year when his and Catherine's fashionably late arrival cleared the Red Carpet, much to the chagrin of those yet to walk it. But let's face it, it's not like they were expecting it and as the Royals are the last to arrive, in future attendees will schedule their arrivals earlier. This is is not the OSCAR's after all. But there you have it, chaos because William has not been consistent in his support of the BAFTA's.

Until now William has been able to work a part-time job with the odd royal appearance and short tours to interesting places. Now comes the hard graft where they have to study up on the engagements they attend lest someone ask a basic question and they end up looking stupid. That being the case, I think the taking on of patronages, etc. will happen slowly over a matter of years. The engagements they undertake for HM will take precedent and I am sure there will be more tours.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:37 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I believe it will be a difficult time for both William and Catherine. They have been enabled to live a life relatively free from any real commitment with Williams job being a very small part-time obligation and then there are those they were involved with and, to be honest, William was less than committed to those causes other than the trio's Foundation.

The BAFTA's, of which William has been President since 2010, has only been graced by his presence twice until this year when his and Catherine's fashionably late arrival cleared the Red Carpet, much to the chagrin of those yet to walk it. But let's face it, it's not like they were expecting it and as the Royals are the last to arrive, in future attendees will schedule their arrivals earlier. This is is not the OSCAR's after all. But there you have it, chaos because William has not been consistent in his support of the BAFTA's.

Until now William has been able to work a part-time job with the odd royal appearance and short tours to interesting places. Now comes the hard graft where they have to study up on the engagements they attend lest someone ask a basic question and they end up looking stupid. That being the case, I think the taking on of patronages, etc. will happen slowly over a matter of years. The engagements they undertake for HM will take precedent and I am sure there will be more tours.
Whenever Will and Kate walk the red carpet at a premiere or award show, they are always the last to arrive for security reasons. Not sure what that has to do with a perceived lack of support for the BAFTA's. The BAFTA's are more than just one night of awards. I can recall William attending various BAFTA affiliated events.

I think referring to Williams current workload as an odd royal appearance is a bit of a hyperbole. His engagement numbers last year are not that far off from Camilla, who is considered a "full time royal" (204 to her 221). And he did that with small children and a part time job.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyT View Post
I am interested to see what "full time" royal duties entails for William. Will he be doing 500+ engagements a year like his father and aunt? Or will it be a slight increase to closely match other members of the family like Camilla and Phillip?
Many think that the nature and type of engagements will (already is) changing. And that there will be fewer, but more meaningful engagements moving forward.
Engagements used to be loaded with official openings, dedications, curtain pulls and other unveilings. If you notice, as the royals have tended to group these kinds of engagements geographically, they are less timely/relevant and engaging. Many are poorly attended by the public, who prefer active and entertaining engagements. Some royal openings now are happening over a year after the facility is in use. So there
seems waning interest in traditional engagements both on the part of the royals and the public.

Instead, there is a trend to focus on successful social/economic change and aggregate efforts. So, one engagement might have the impact of 20 from 15 years ago.

And yes - office work is required to lead these efforts, and it does not count in official tallies.

Likely overall numbers of engagements will dip in coming years. But the effectiveness of engagements may actually increase. Doing more with less is the very American way I would describe it. The royal family needs to effectively lead the Kingdom - and many public engagements may not be the best way to do that.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Agree, quality over quantity is better. Gives the royals more time to become more immersed in the issues and more familiar with the people involved in the projects/causes they wish to support.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

William has gone to Bafta awards 4 times. He went the year he became President, he presented fellowships to Helen Mirren and Vanessa Redgrave in separate years and this year with Kate. He has also attended various other Bafta events -most famous one being the dinner in LA. His trip to China and the incoming Chinese visit had Bafta related events.

Bafta is one of William's most often supported patronages along with Centrepoint, Tusk, Royal Marsden.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Really I can't see how difficult it can be, unless for a very overtly indulgent pair.

Kate spent at least eight years as a royal intern after leaving collage and doing little else until and after her engagement. She is now, thanks to her patience, the mother of two young children in the country's premier family. Willliam has in fairness held down a number of roles, knowing none of them would be a long term career but has gained significant insight throught them.

They have had ample time and (I don't doubt in Kate's mind, the one she is probably bored out of already) are ready and able to take on any royal roles the Queen may give them.

They are still referred to as "the young royals".

Within there or there abouts a year William will be older than his mother, who surpassed all he and Kate as royals have achieved to-date within her lifetime. Should either pass away at this stage of their lives would we remember them for any particular reason 20 years on?

I think not!

So time to stop. There is a job to be done. Time to stand up.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:26 AM
Majesty

You seem to be fighting the last war. William left his job. They along with Harry are 'standing up' and when the sovereign is in her nineties, 35 does make you a young royal.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
Really I can't see how difficult it can be, unless for a very overtly indulgent pair.

Kate spent at least eight years as a royal intern after leaving collage and doing little else until and after her engagement. She is now, thanks to her patience, the mother of two young children in the country's premier family. Willliam has in fairness held down a number of roles, knowing none of them would be a long term career but has gained significant insight throught them.

They have had ample time and (I don't doubt in Kate's mind, the one she is probably bored out of already) are ready and able to take on any royal roles the Queen may give them.

They are still referred to as "the young royals".

Within there or there abouts a year William will be older than his mother, who surpassed all he and Kate as royals have achieved to-date within her lifetime. Should either pass away at this stage of their lives would we remember them for any particular reason 20 years on?

I think not!

So time to stop. There is a job to be done. Time to stand up.
Did someone get out of the wrong side of the bed today?

With HM being in her 90's and Prince Philip in his middle 90's, I do think that the mid 30's is quite young, heck I am in the middle of all of them and still think that 30 something they still have lots to learn about life in general. Just wait till they hit 90 and see what they have accomplished, it takes time and learning and growing.....just what they are doing now with HM's blessings.....amen!
Old 07-28-2017, 07:54 PM
Courtier

Go back and read the comment I replied to.

I don't see why this should be a particularly difficult time for Will & Kate. In my opinion they have had an easy time of it compared to William's Mother over the same years span.

It's just a comment!
Old 07-28-2017, 08:35 PM
Majesty

Difficult because this is an entire lifestyle change. Instead of Anmer Hall is their principal residence and KP their London pied-à-terre, KP will now become their principal residence, Anmer Hall for holidays.

Prince George is due to start school in September after he turns 4 in August and Charlotte will probably go to Tomas's pre-school. So that is going to be a huge change of lifestyle for all four of the family and I don't think it's going to be an easy change.

Add to those not insignificant changes, William and Catherine's personal lifestyle is set to undergo a total change with William having left a job he loves and Catherine beginning the empty nest lifestyle. I'd lay odds she, along with many other Mothers, is going to cry when her baby starts school.

And then there is the full-time royal aspect . . .
Old 07-28-2017, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

George is already 4. His birthday isn't in August but July 22.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Difficult because this is an entire lifestyle change. Instead of Anmer Hall is their principal residence and KP their London pied-à-terre, KP will now become their principal residence, Anmer Hall for holidays.

Prince George is due to start school in September after he turns 4 in August and Charlotte will probably go to Tomas's pre-school. So that is going to be a huge change of lifestyle for all four of the family and I don't think it's going to be an easy change.

Add to those not insignificant changes, William and Catherine's personal lifestyle is set to undergo a total change with William having left a job he loves and Catherine beginning the empty nest lifestyle. I'd lay odds she, along with many other Mothers, is going to cry when her baby starts school.

George has already turned four. In reality we do not know and rightly so, what the Cambridge's day to day activities are. I thought empty nest syndrome was a term used when ones children had leafy home as young adults. I doubt either will have problems filling their days.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

"Empty Nest Lifestyle"? Her kids are 4 and 2. They likely can't go to the bathroom without help yet.

They're not exactly moving out of the house tomorrow and heading to university.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
"Empty Nest Lifestyle"? Her kids are 4 and 2. They likely can't go to the bathroom without help yet.

They're not exactly moving out of the house tomorrow and heading to university.
One would hope not 😀.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:

All fair.

As regards the children, the first few terms will be tricky, as Catherine tries to settle both the kids into proper school routines at the same time. There will be lots of minor illnesses and viruses to content with, and the anxiety of the children as they adapt to their new lives.

It will also be a time that Catherine will be trying quite hard to make friends with some of the other parents at the school, x2 as she will be doing this with parents of both children. At the best of times this can be tricky, as you try and make sure you make friends with the parents of the right children, and you have to do this twice over for both your children at the same time. And that is before you overlay that you are the future Queen, and you will need to be assessing other potential friends very carefully.

That said, it should also be a time that they adapt to their new full time status with enthusiasm. There will be a vacuum to fill by the side of HM, as well as further work to do with their existing charities. Time will also be ticking, and the press and the public will be looking to see the enthusiasm they display for their roles.

All in all, I suspect it should be a busy and challenging year ahead for them.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
George is already 4. His birthday isn't in August but July 22.
You are of course correct. Still 4 years old and he starts proper school at Michaelmas 7th September 2017.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:23 PM
Nobility

Are the Cambridges both now full time royals?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Are the Cambridges both now full time royals?
Yes, they are now (both) focusing on full time royal duties. They are balancing out their duties and family life.

A.W. TOZER