What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree. The family might have known that she wasn't expected to live until the end of the year (although older people can always surprise you), so William and Catherine might have decided to move to Adelaide Cottage now so the children can start school at their new school from the first day of the year, while knowing fully well that this was a temporary solution before moving into Windsor Castle (as has been speculated).

We can't know for sure, but it doesn't look like the family was expecting the late Queen's death imminently. It is not exactly a surprise considering her advanced age, but I see no signs that her passing was anticipated.

We can't know for sure, but it doesn't look like the family was expecting the late Queen's death imminently. It is not exactly a surprise considering her advanced age, but I see no signs that her passing was anticipated.

The queen announcing Camilla's title in February and the Cambridges move to Windsor were in anticipation of a new reign - whether they expected it to take place this soon I don't know (clearly not specifically today) but it might not have been hard to predict that she might not live until 2024 and most likely not until 2023 given how fast she was weakening. They for example will have known what the cause of her enormous weight loss was.

I am glad that she seemed to have been sharp of mind until (almost) her last day - even though her body started to show signs that the end was getting nearer and nearer.

Agreed. I always saw Adelaide Cottage as an interim between the death of QEII and the ascension of King Charles III. Other than painting the interiors, no significant renovations were made to Adelaide Cottage. I cannot see them moving out into the main Castle until after Charles' coronation, which is likely to be a year away. This way the kids have privacy during this transitional time

I can’t see them moving in to the Castle while the children are in school. Place is a tourist trap. Much happier where they are.

I disagree. The late QEII's statement on her wishes for Camilla to be known as Queen Consort, the Cambridges moving etc showed me that the family knew she was deteriorating and her death was imminent - i.e. sooner rather than later. I think this latest turn was not expected

I can’t see them moving in to the Castle while the children are in school. Place is a tourist trap. Much happier where they are.

Most of it is closed off to the public, isn't it? The Queen lived there peacefully.

Most of it is closed off to the public, isn't it? The Queen lived there peacefully.

They have their quadrangle where they live but if you know where to stand visitors can easily see them coming and going. You can literally stand at the gate. It was fine for an elderly woman but the Cambridge kids are young, it would be no different from when they lived at Kensington.

They have their quadrangle where they live but if you know where to stand visitors can easily see them coming and going. You can literally stand at the gate. It was fine for an elderly woman but the Cambridge kids are young, it would be no different from when they lived at Kensington.

I have visited the UK, but not Windsor, so I did not realise how close tourists can get. With that in mind, yes, I think they'll be staying at Adelaide Cottage for the time being

I wonder if they might in time come to use Windsor as a "workplace" but keep the children at Adelaide. They could use rooms at Windsor for meetings, visits, receptions etc but keep "private family life" at Adelaide with privacy.

I wonder if they might in time come to use Windsor as a "workplace" but keep the children at Adelaide. They could use rooms at Windsor for meetings, visits, receptions etc but keep "private family life" at Adelaide with privacy.

Definitely in time, as I think it'll be very bad optics for the new reign if William and Catherine quit Kensington palace as their workplace too.

I disagree. The late QEII's statement on her wishes for Camilla to be known as Queen Consort, the Cambridges moving etc showed me that the family knew she was deteriorating and her death was imminent - i.e. sooner rather than later. I think this latest turn was not expected

The plans for her to appoint a new Prime Minister and hold a virtual Privy Council meeting the following day, and the fact that no members of the family (except Anne?) were at Balmoral at the time and had to travel on short notice clearly suggest to me that no imminent death had been anticipated. Of course, at her age, sudden death is more common than at a younger age.

Having said that, even if she was not expected to die today, a transition was obviously in progress, not least because the late Queen was increasingly unable to perform all of her duties.

The plans for her to appoint a new Prime Minister and hold a virtual Privy Council meeting the following day, and the fact that no members of the family (except Anne?) were at Balmoral at the time and had to travel on short notice clearly suggest to me that no imminent death had been anticipated. Of course, at her age, sudden death is more common than at a younger age.

Having said that, even if she was not expected to die today, a transition was obviously in progress, not least because the late Queen was increasingly unable to perform all of her duties.

I think you are right. Whilst her health was in general decline, I do not think the family anticipated her death to be imminent. Whilst there had been rumours of Charles visiting HM every day in the last few weeks, if they thought the end was very near, C&C would not have, IMO, ventured as far as Dumfries House.

When do we think William will have his ceremony to be prince of wales

I don’t think it will be done similar to that of Charles. He had been Prince of Wales since the age of 9 and the political environment was different.

Perhaps a blessing in a Welsh cathedral??

What about Highgrove? It belongs to William now, doesn’t it? I wonder if the King intends to keep it, he would be the POW’s tenant I guess.

What about Highgrove? It belongs to William now, doesn’t it? I wonder if the King intends to keep it, he would be the POW’s tenant I guess.

I don’t think he will. He’s going to probably put that energy into Balmoral and Sandringham

When do we think William will have his ceremony to be prince of wales

No ceremony is needed for him to become Prince of Wales. Charles has already announced that he made William Prince of Wales yesterday. This will be formalized by Letters Patent. Whether a ceremony will be held to mark this occasion -and if so, what form it might take- remains to be seen.

Highgrove House is Charles's private property, purchased shortly before his wedding to Lady Diana Spencer.

He has a much loved organic garden there and might want to keep it as country retreat for himself and the Queen Consort.

I can't see him passing it on to William who really doesn't need yet another home anyway.

What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

Highgrove House is Charles's private property, purchased shortly before his wedding to Lady qDiana Spencer.

He has a much loved organic garden there and might want to keep it as country retreat for himself and the Queen Consort.

I can't see him passing it on to William who really doesn't need yet another home anyway.

It’s not privately owned though is it? It’s owned by the Duchy of Cornwall.

Highgrove House is Charles's private property, purchased shortly before his wedding to Lady Diana Spencer.

It’s Charles private home but it was bought through the trust. So yeah William owns it now…technically.

Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall. It was purchased by the Duchy on behalf of Charles, not too long before he married Diana. Charles leases the property from the Duchy.

I would think that Charles and Camilla will keep Highgrove.

I would think that Charles and Camilla will keep Highgrove.

Why wouldn’t he? That’s his home and William and Harry have seemed uninterested in it since they’ve grown up.

The changes that come with being the new Prince and Princess of Wales

Archive (if you can't access above link. For some reason, the last two months I can pass the paywall without login, I don't know why, but maybe it's just me)

(...)

There is an expectation that the Prince and Princess will eventually move into Windsor Castle or one of the larger houses on the Windsor estate, something which has become more pressing with their change in status and seniority.

But they have indicated to courtiers that they want to give their children a chance to settle into school and avoid any more upheaval for as long as possible, meaning that decisions on who lives in which property will be put on hold for now.

(...)

The Prince must also decide on arrangements for his investiture as Prince of Wales, which is scheduled to happen after the King’s coronation and is likely to be next year.

William will become only the third Prince of Wales to be invested in Wales itself, and is said to favour a more low-key ceremony than the one at Caernarfon Castle for his father in 1969.

One possibility is that the investiture could take place at Cardiff Cathedral, and a decision must also be taken on the role of the Princess of Wales in the ceremony, as no Prince of Wales in recent history has inherited the title while married.

(...)

The Prince and Princess of Wales have been given their instructions to carry out a royal version of levelling-up, by making frequent and high-profile visits to the people and the areas that have for many years been left behind.

In many respects it will be a continuation of the work they are already doing: Prince William is already a champion of mental health services and homelessness charities, and Princess Catherine is heavily involved in early years education and anti-bullying.

But the Prince and Princess are also likely to spend more time on official visits to some of the most economically depressed areas of the country, not only to lift awareness of their needs, but also to use their convening power to get communities, politicians and businesses together to find new ways of rejuvenating such places.

(...)

"Princess Catherine"? Really?
I kind of expect it from DM or Express, but the Telegraph?

The Times also report potential move to the castle.

Archive

(...)

Next year, William and Kate’s royal foundation will launch a long-term initiative on homelessness, one of William’s areas of focus alongside mental health and conservation, and the new Duke of Cornwall is keen to see how the duchy can play a part in his drive on homelessness.

His “legacy project”, the Earthshot Prize, a ten-year global environmental initiative, will be another priority, and William and Kate are expected to go ahead with a planned visit to the United States in November championing the prize. William’s team is “very alive” to positioning him into statesman territory on the international stage, and as heir to the throne that positioning will move up a gear. But the couple remain acutely aware of not queering Charles’s pitch.

(...)

Last edited:
Last edited:
No plans for Prince William to be invested as Prince of Wales, according to the BBC .

Back
Top Bottom