The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-10-2017, 08:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Balcony appearances have nothing to do with the Cambridges. The extra police and security costs for Trooping the Colour are for the crowds. Any large crowd is a security risk. Fireworks on New Years Eve with no royals there required a large police presence and high security costs.

Having other royals on the balcony for the diamond jubilee isn't going affect the crowd numbers. One million more people aren't going to show up on the Mall to see Andrew or Anne.

Charles suppressing the engagement numbers of the Cambridges would not improve his popularity or increase his media coverage.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Charles is an old school guy. He's very much into the old way of royalty. I think he's very proud to have his heir and his "darling daughter-in-law" officially playing their part in the firm. I have no evidence that he's jealous of William and Catherine's attention. We have to leave the Prince of Wales's past problems behind. I think he's improved with age and time.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-11-2017, 01:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

Having other royals on the balcony for the diamond jubilee isn't going affect the crowd numbers. One million more people aren't going to show up on the Mall to see Andrew or Anne.
Once you're committed to having a balcony appearance, you have cost. From that point, having just the "magnificent seven" or whatever doesn't cost any less than having everybody related to Her Majesty crowded on the balcony. Princess Anne and Bea and the Duke of Kent aren't getting an extra clothing allowance because they'll be on the balcony at Trooping the Color or the Queen's birthday celebration, but Charles has certainly started pushing to limit the number who walk out of the palace and onto the balcony at certain key events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Charles suppressing the engagement numbers of the Cambridges would not improve his popularity or increase his media coverage.
I agree that it wouldn't actually be good strategy. What I'm saying is I don't buy that Charles sees things that clearly. His actions through the years have shown a certain amount of emotional bull-headedness that is separate from actual logic.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

I totally agree with the plan that the monarch and immediate heirs should be the only ones on the balcony. Trooping of the Colour normally involves the extended family though.

That's how it should be.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Once you're committed to having a balcony appearance, you have cost. From that point, having just the "magnificent seven" or whatever doesn't cost any less than having everybody related to Her Majesty crowded on the balcony. Princess Anne and Bea and the Duke of Kent aren't getting an extra clothing allowance because they'll be on the balcony at Trooping the Color or the Queen's birthday celebration, but Charles has certainly started pushing to limit the number who walk out of the palace and onto the balcony at certain key events.
Are you aware of any event other than the balcony appearance in 2012 at the end of the Jubilee celebrations that only 7 members of the family were present, and not the larger extended family?

At that appearance, a clear and simple message was being delivered: this is the core of "The Firm" going forward.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Are you aware of any event other than the balcony appearance in 2012 at the end of the Jubilee celebrations that only 7 members of the family were present, and not the larger extended family?

At that appearance, a clear and simple message was being delivered: this is the core of "The Firm" going forward.

The whole family - the Queen's children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, her cousins, and her cousins children and great grandchildren - definitely did not make an appearance at the most recent Trooping balcony appearance.

There definitely wasn't 40+ people to appear on the balcony.

Nope, definitely not. Charles would never allow that.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The whole family - the Queen's children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, her cousins, and her cousins children and great grandchildren - definitely did not make an appearance at the most recent Trooping balcony appearance.

There were plenty of members of the family at Trooping 2016, see link below. The Gloucesters, Kents, Princess Alexandra and several more were certainly present.

Trooping the Colour: the most memorable moments in pictures - Photo 5

Quote:
Yup, he did, he did indeed allow it!
Old 01-11-2017, 04:05 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I seriously doubt that Charles was in the position to allow or disallow anything when it comes to the balcony appearances. Its all up to his mother first and foremost. Charles' time will come when he is King. Not before.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:

In the picture posted I count 41, perhaps 39 as there are 2 people a bit obscured.
I don't see Peter (maybe the top of his head behind Anne?) am not sure about Autumn and definitely not Anne's young granddaughters. I don't see Beatrice or Harry, either.
Frankly the balcony isn't big enough to hold the entire extended family anymore.
I've noticed that the major publications seem to crop the trooping balcony photos to include just the central figures and that if you want to see everyone who was on the balcony you have to search for a pix that shows the entire balcony even then people shift around, so one shot may miss some one.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I fear my post may have been taken more seriously than it was intended to.

I actually looked at that picture and counted exactly how many people were in it before posting.

From left to right: the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and what I believe is their family; Autumn Phillips, Mike and Zara Tindall, and Anne; Camilla with a boy I can't identify and Charles; the Cambridges and (just behind William) part of Harry's head; the Queen, DoE, and (just behind his grandfather) Peter Phillips; Sophie, the Wessex children, Eugenie, and (behind Louise) I believe Andrew; a group of women who I think are part of the Duke of Kent's family, and the Duke of Kent; and finally a large group of people who I would believe are also part of the extended Kent family (possibly including Princess Alexandra), with Prince and Princess Michael on the end.

By my count, 41 people. I've also seen other pictures of last year's trooping that show Edward and Eugenie on the balcony, so I think they just hadn't walked out yet when this picture was taken.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I fear my post may have been taken more seriously than it was intended to.

I actually looked at that picture and counted exactly how many people were in it before posting.

From left to right: the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and what I believe is their family; Autumn Phillips, Mike and Zara Tindall, and Anne; Camilla with a boy I can't identify and Charles; the Cambridges and (just behind William) part of Harry's head; the Queen, DoE, and (just behind his grandfather) Peter Phillips; Sophie, the Wessex children, Eugenie, and (behind Louise) I believe Andrew; a group of women who I think are part of the Duke of Kent's family, and the Duke of Kent; and finally a large group of people who I would believe are also part of the extended Kent family (possibly including Princess Alexandra), with Prince and Princess Michael on the end.

By my count, 41 people. I've also seen other pictures of last year's trooping that show Edward and Eugenie on the balcony, so I think they just hadn't walked out yet when this picture was taken.
This thread is about William/Kate and their future roles, but Beatrice stands behind Sophie. I counted 42 with Edward - he stands behind the Queen - you can see a bit of his brown uniform.

And I didn't take your post seriously, because I thought you meant to be ironic.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Courtier

Well, I've oft been accused of being a bit too literal.
It is a shame that the Queen's great granddaughters aren't there w/ George & Charlotte since I'd love to see that group of cousins all together on the balcony.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:16 AM
Heir Apparent

We are way off topic - but it makes me giggle to imagine some courtier:
"OK, cousins now, over here to this end of the balcony, in two rows please, littles in front...Lady Loiuse could you lean left just a bit..ok lovely, now everyone smile and there we have it!" Perhaps in the BP reno, the balcony could get an addition or a cousin's annex added on?
Old 01-14-2017, 07:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Roya Nikkhah on the Cambridge's future:
https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyaNikkh...92547524743172

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-14-2017, 08:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Am I the only person who thinks he will not come close to his dad's engagement numbers in 2017?

The youngsters are running a different engagement plan. They focus on issues not appearances. W shows up unannounced. It is not listed in the CC.
I hate to listen to whining so I hope William does hit big numbers this year. I just am not at all sure that is the goal for william-the-full-time-royal. And I also believe Charles has helped to sculpt that new goal. I've always thought Charles gave his son a different goal/timeline than Elizabeth gave Charles.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Some interesting points from this article. I would have posted more, but then I had broken the rules:

Prince's new mission: to be full-time royal | News | The Times & The Sunday Times
Quote:
The Duke of Cambridge is to end his career as a Norfolk-based helicopter pilot this year and move his family to London to take on full-time royal duties.

The move follows months of discussion within the royal family, who are said to have been “very supportive” of William’s decision. The duke recently addressed suggestions that he had become a “reluctant” or “workshy” royal, unwilling to take on more official duties, and insisted he took his responsibilities “very seriously”.

A royal source said there had been “no pressure from above” to increase William’s workload but “he knew there would come a point where this would be his life for ever more. He has always been a lot less reluctant than people think to take on more work and this phase of his life.”

Sources said William would “take on much more work in his areas of interest, including homelessness, cyber-bullying, conservation and supporting vulnerable young people.

“His focus on mental health will also expand and he will continue to champion mental health issues both publicly and behind the scenes for many years to come.”

William is believed to be acutely conscious that his emergence as a full-time royal should not overshadow his father’s role as heir to the throne. One friend said: “Some people may question why William still won’t do as much as Princess Anne but he is dead set on not queering his father’s pitch. He sees that Charles will probably be in his seventies before he becomes king and he doesn’t want to be seen as elbowing his father out the way.”

While royal aides insist William is ready to commit to official life, friends say the duke will miss the normality and privacy he has enjoyed while living and working away from the royal spotlight. One friend said: “I know he has really loved living in Norfolk and being just one of the lads at work. He loves the banter.”

A royal source added: “He will really miss the flying. He does love it.”
Old 01-14-2017, 08:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Am I the only person who thinks he will not come close to his dad's engagement numbers in 2017?

The youngsters are running a different engagement plan. They focus on issues not appearances. W shows up unannounced. It is not listed in the CC.
I hate to listen to whining so I hope William does hit big numbers this year. I just am not at all sure that is the goal for william-the-full-time-royal. And I also believe Charles has helped to sculpt that new goal. I've always thought Charles gave his son a different goal/timeline than Elizabeth gave Charles.
Of course he wont. Charles and Anne have been doing this for 40 years with 100's of charities. No other royals come close to 500+ engagements.

And how can he get there when he wont start full time prob until September and they are based in London.

We need to be realistic. And the first thing he should do is get some really good staff, preferably from BP.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-14-2017, 08:39 PM
Majesty

I think William is a credit to the BRF and it's a shame he has to give up flying but I understand his decision and it's no surprise.

He thinks outside the box. The upcoming BBC documentary on mental health is an example.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post

No I think that the new model of focus on issues combined a new approach to their royal duties has begun with with the Queen's grandchildren. Yes I also agree that Charles has been instrumental to "sculpt that new goal." (Like how you phrased that.)
Old 01-14-2017, 09:10 PM
Majesty

From my post #463

The only certainties I consider happening are:
1. Move back to KP by September

2. Catherine will not undertake a greater workload than William

3. The media will complain whatever they do as will people who don't like them.

4. The causes they take up will pay off. The PM today made a public statement on promoting/supporting childrens mental health and specifically mentioned the Heads Together campaign

LOL

The reason I'm laughing is that we've all known this would happen for weeks or even longer. Probably from when he signed his contract.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,