The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-15-2016, 12:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh stop with the feminist crap, this isn't about having ovaries this is about her work. It was stated that nothing Kate has done has shown that she isn't interested in work and I pointed out that everything she has done since university has shown she has no initiative in life when it comes to working. I am one of the people who gave Kate a pass for her past work history until she showed the same lack of work ethic after she got married. Her history shows that she will do as little work that she can get away with; whether it is working part time, working for her parents, or doing few engagements as she can. And before anyone tries to use the kids as an excuse for her lack of engagments this conclusion has come from her WHOLE work history: university student, normal citizen, part time royal, mother.
Denville was just pointing out her long history of not showing an interest in work based on over a decade of observation; those who insist she might do work only have speculation.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-15-2016, 12:17 PM
Heir Apparent

In the military, it's called fighting the last war. Kate already done more engagements this year than all of last year. She's only 5 behind Harry

Old 07-15-2016, 12:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Oh stop with the feminist crap, this isn't about having ovaries this is about her work. It was stated that nothing Kate has done has shown that she isn't interested in work and I pointed out that everything she has done since university has shown she has no initiative in life when it comes to working. I am one of the people who gave Kate a pass for her past work history until she showed the same lack of work ethic after she got married. Her history shows that she will do as little work that she can get away with; whether it is working part time, working for her parents, or doing few engagements as she can. And before anyone tries to use the kids as an excuse for her lack of engagments this conclusion has come from her WHOLE work history: university student, normal citizen, part time royal, mother.
Denville was just pointing out her long history of not showing an interest in work based on over a decade of observation; those who insist she might do work only have speculation.
Catherine worked in a bar when at university, Jigsaw, Party Pieces and now she's working as a senior royal. Where in there is she not working?

I understand some think her jobs were practically nothing because she didn't work the jobs you and some think she should have, but to say Catherine has shown no interest in working is flat out false.

Also, Catherine isn't a full time royal due to William's previous jobs in the SAR and now as a Air Ambulance Pilot.

Also, this is about women beating up other women and tearing each other down as well.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-15-2016, 12:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I'd love to see the feminist crap stop. I run into it all the time on this forum. Men who don't tow the feminist line are called out..women who dare to not work full time or appear to like and support 'traditional' rolls are called out.

How about we just let women decide how they want to live and leave it at that. We can stop with the 'oh she's not working enough' or 'oh she doesn't need more children' or 'oh why does she need help (nanny/housekeeping)' etc etc etc.

Most of the complainers won't be happy unless she is punching a time clock so they can make sure they get their money's worth....and even then she would be criticized for not working more.

We all know they have not been full time royals. We all know she's had 2 children within a very short amount of time and that might be her focus (yes I know she's letting the women's empowerment corner down). We all know that they are shifting into more duties and will be full time royals in the near future.

How about everyone just give it a rest and see what happens in the next couple years.

LaRae
Old 07-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Let's move it along. This thread is not about Kate's past work history. Let's get back on topic, which is William and Catherine's future duties/roles.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:46 AM
Serene Highness

It seems likely that they will gradually increase their workload as royals.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:28 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Its not only likely but pretty much a reality as time passes. I think also that we're gradually seeing a big shift in how things will be done in the future. We're living in a global society where a message can be sent instantaneously to millions in the blink of an eye. For example, William with his work on bullying and mental health issues reached more people with just appearing on the cover of a LGBT centered magazine than if he had visited 100 different communities personally. Kate reached millions of people worldwide being a guest editor for the Huffington Press for Mental Health Week than if she had visited 100 clinics to promote the work they do for mental health issues.

The future of royal engagements is changing to be more of substance and quality rather than the quantity of appearances and photo ops. For me, as they take on more and more duties representing "official" duties as representatives of the monarch, they will pretty much have their own causes and issues pretty well covered under the umbrella of The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry. We are going to see more and more of how different aspects of the Foundation will be working together for a common cause. Its been a gradual process but coming together nicely in my book.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-16-2016, 03:00 AM
Serene Highness

Seems to me to be making the Royal job pretty easy, if they can do as much sititng at home writing a blog or article for a magazine on some issue (probably with 3 aides in attnendance) as actually going somewhere and interacting and showing themselves. But I think that the present generation don't work as hard and aren't as duty bound as Charles has always been.. or even in her way Diana.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:22 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
You have to admit though that reaching multitudes of people is a whole lot different than when Charles and Diana and other members of the BRF first started out. Its not a measure of working harder but being able to utilize the tools available to the greatest advantage.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-16-2016, 03:29 AM
Serene Highness

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I think that the 2 of them do very little, Kate more so than Will. And in C and Di's day, a royal had to get out there and press the flesh, go places and talk to people. Be photographed and be noticed in the press and mags and TV...
even if their speeches were written fro them, they had to deliver them and try and put their case across...
I don't see much of what K and W are up to, because I'm not their generation and not into the social media etc. I DO know a bit about the causes that Di & C promoted and even Camilla...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
In the military, it's called fighting the last war. Kate already done more engagements this year than all of last year. She's only 5 behind Harry
Well she's finally starting to do more work, but I think it is time now. the queen is 90, she's not going to go on forever.. and Charles is now taking on more and more work, of hers.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't see anything going on that indicates to me Kate is not interested in working.

AGAIN for the 1,004,695 th time...they are not full time royals yet.

We know she does things behind the scenes...just because media isn't present doesn't mean she's sitting home watching soaps and eating bonbons.

LaRae
So what is she doing? Looking after the children, a bit, but she has a nanny. Housekeeping? No, she has staff for that.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
But I think that the present generation don't work as hard and aren't as duty bound as Charles has always been.. or even in her way Diana.
Are you just saying William and Kate or also Harry Beatrice and even other royal houses young generation? William seems more duty bound and interested in working than Prince Carl Phillip?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-20-2016, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I would imagine that much of the charity work she's involved in goes on behind the scenes. Appointments, reading up on various issues, meeting with folks etc. She doesn't just show up at a charitable event and that's all there is to it. We also know that she does some of her own shopping and errands.

Just because she has a nanny doesn't mean she's not spending a considerable amount of time minding the kids herself. No different than any working mom who's children are in daycare etc. The nanny is not 24/7 minding the kids and has time off as well. It's pretty evident she's a hands on parent (as is William).

I would imagine she does some light housecleaning..picking up after herself (we know she cooks) and the kids on a daily basis. Again no different than many working women (I've had a housekeeper before).

When William leaves his job I expect they will both shift (assuming the Queen approves the funds) into more engagements.

I think it's great they have had this time to adjust to marriage, family life, royal life (for her) before going full time. I think the family has deliberately gone about things very differently after some of the issues with his mother went on.

LaRae
Old 07-20-2016, 05:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
So what is she doing? Looking after the children, a bit, but she has a nanny. Housekeeping? No, she has staff for that.
I don't think you fully understand how hard senior members of the royal family work. Yes, they carry out official engagements publicly, but they also very busy behind the scenes.

Catherine is a very hands on mother. Yes, there's a nanny, but Catherine is busy raising her kids with William.

Catherine is royal patron of several charities. She and her staff work very hard on keeping up progress of her charities, meeting with officials in charge of those organizations and planning visits.

Catherine also work on behalf of Tne Queen by representing her in the UK and Commonwealth. Catherine do her have her down time, but don't get confused on thinking she's not a busy wife, mother and senior royal.

I do think Kensington Palace officials make the mistake in not highlighting the young royals work behind the scenes enough. It would do a great deal of good for people to see them working up close from time to time.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-20-2016, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I think they already are doing so.
This year especially they have been quite active.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:52 PM
Royal Highness

It always amuses me that people think 1 (!) nanny means they are not raising the kids. 1 nanny is basically a very flexible, focused kind of daycare. If you leave your kids in daycare and take care of your kids the rest of the time, most people count that as hands on parents. The nanny is not a 24/7 thing. She has rights, breaks, days off etc. That's why most royals have more than 1, even at the beginning. Because 1 nanny doesn't really cover that much time in the week.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:55 PM
Aristocracy

George seems very attached to Kate. I can't speak for Charlotte cause I've not seen her that much, but I'd assume it's the same way. Clearly she is an integral part of raising her children, which at this age is very important.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:39 PM
Serene Highness

Of course he's attached to her, she's his mother....It doesn't mean that she's anything like a full time child carer...

Quote:
Are you just saying William and Kate or also Harry Beatrice and even other royal houses young generation? William seems more duty bound and interested in working than Prince Carl Phillip?
I know very little abuot non British royals as I've said before. I don't know what they get up to, but I do understand that Carl Philip isn't a particularly hard working royal, he's not the heir or next heir..
As for Beatrice she is not doing royal duties so I don't include her in the "younger royals who are on the working rota" for obvious reasons.
I think that Harry was busy enough when he was in the army but now that he's left I'm not sure what his plans are...
Old 07-20-2016, 06:42 PM
Aristocracy

No more or less than anyone else that has help with their children. And speaking from experience, I can tell you that not all children are attached to their mother if their mother is absent, which Kate clearly is not. Unless this is one of those, "Kate is nothing like a normal mother" discussion. Which is quite obvious considering she is a royal.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:46 PM
Serene Highness

Who said she was absent? I said she wasn't taking care of the children full time, which she clearly isn't. And generally children are attached to their mothers, in some way no matter what, unless the mother is really missing all the time or very unkind