The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-19-2015, 02:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

I have to give Camilla Tominey some credit. She and her "sources" called it and said Catherine would be giving more speeches and expanding her role as a senior royal. We are now seeing Catherine on the path to doing so. We're hearing from her than we did before.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-16-2015, 01:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 37m37 minutes ago
The Duke of Edinburgh today passed his 63-year patronage of the RAF Air Cadets to the Duchess of Cambridge, Buckingham Palace says.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 39m39 minutes ago
It is the first military role for the Duchess of Cambridge, who becomes Honorary Air Commandant of the Air Cadet Organisation.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-16-2015, 01:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Well...that's quite a step up right there.

LaRae
Old 12-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm glad Catherine's official honorary military role is starting to grow. Bring on more military roles. Congrats to The Duchess of Cambridge!

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-16-2015, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
The BBC has learnt that the Duke of Cambridge does receive Cabinet papers. He is given them occasionally.

Prince William is given the gov documents to help him understand the workings of Whitehall and to prepare him for when he is King.

Cabinet Office: "The Duke of Cambridge is a senior member of the royal family and future heir to the throne and therefore of course ...

....it is appropriate that he is regularly briefed on government business".
Old 12-16-2015, 04:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The BBC has learnt that the Duke of Cambridge does receive Cabinet papers. He is given them occasionally.

Prince William is given the gov documents to help him understand the workings of Whitehall and to prepare him for when he is King.

Cabinet Office: "The Duke of Cambridge is a senior member of the royal family and future heir to the throne and therefore of course ...

....it is appropriate that he is regularly briefed on government business".

I don't know why anyone would think William shouldn't have cabinet papers. Is it not part of his training ?
Old 12-16-2015, 04:16 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^ I agree

Prince William receives confidential cabinet papers - BBC News
Old 12-16-2015, 08:49 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 37m37 minutes ago
The Duke of Edinburgh today passed his 63-year patronage of the RAF Air Cadets to the Duchess of Cambridge, Buckingham Palace says.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 39m39 minutes ago
It is the first military role for the Duchess of Cambridge, who becomes Honorary Air Commandant of the Air Cadet Organisation.
It looks like Santa came a bit early for you Dman and gave you what you've been wanting Kate to have for a very long time and I am so very happy that she's finally getting her very own military roles. It also shows that there is trust and closeness between Kate and her grandfather-in-law and the passing of this torch is really a big deal I think.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 12-16-2015, 09:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It looks like Santa came a bit early for you Dman and gave you what you've been wanting Kate to have for a very long time and I am so very happy that she's finally getting her very own military roles. It also shows that there is trust and closeness between Kate and her grandfather-in-law and the passing of this torch is really a big deal I think.
Catherine's military appointment was a beautiful surprise. I'm glad she's now receiving some military positions of her own, and I'm sure she's going to do an amazing job on representing these thousands of cadets in the UK and abroad. I have full confidence in her and so does Prince Philip. You'd think he would've handed the role down to William or Harry, since he took over after the late King. It's a really big deal for him to hand the role over to his grand-daughter-in-law, The Duchess of Cambridge. I'm sure she's thrilled and so is William and the family.

Catherine's official senior royal role is expanding, and I'm very pleased indeed,

Also, West Point just named it's first female commandant of West Point’s Corps of Cadets today.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The more I think about it, the more I realize just how fitting it was for Philip to pass it on to Kate. From what I've read on these cadets, they're in a program in their early teens to build on possibly having a career in the future with the military. It really fits into the overall plan that Kate is working on with roles that aid and support things related to youth and their issues and needs.

Quite fitting if you ask me.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 12-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I realize just how fitting it was for Philip to pass it on to Kate. From what I've read on these cadets, they're in a program in their early teens to build on possibly having a career in the future with the military. It really fits into the overall plan that Kate is working on with roles that aid and support things related to youth and their issues and needs.

I couldn't agree more.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-16-2015, 11:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I also think the family thinks fairly well of Kate. She's being trusted, they know she can handle it.

LaRae
Old 12-17-2015, 12:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Yes, I think she's being very smart about building a specific profile- essentially learning and development for young people who face challenges. Scouts, the Art Room, Action on Addiction, Children's hospices... I expect her profile to grow in that area and I think this was a wise decision.

She'll be taken more seriously if her patronages seem to be working towards a common goal, rather than just a random assortment.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Kate has taken her first military patronage - but will she ever let Prince George serve in the forces-

"Apropos Prince Philip, it’s said he’d like Kate to take over from him as Colonel of the Grenadier Guards.
Now in his 45th year with the Grenadiers, handing this duty to Kate would mean a lot to him."

Will Kate Middleton let Prince George serve in the forces? EPRHAIM HARDCASTLE writes | Daily Mail Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-18-2015, 10:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Will she let him serve in the forces? The age of majority in the UK is 18, isn't it? And he'll be in school until he's 17 or 18. She must have known when she married in to the family that any child was likely to join the military. I really can't imagine her saying she won't let her son join.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:58 PM
Heir Apparent

What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

I would take that article with a grain of salt especially with that headline. The answer is yes- George will serve in the military. Just like almost every male in his family. He is the future head of the armed forces. I don't think Kate will have a problem with it. She went through it will William. George isn't ever going to be put in the front line.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-18-2015, 11:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

Quote:

Dman isn't the only one who has been wanting a long time for this announcement. :). As I said a couple of months ago, she's entering her Fifth Year as a Senior Member of the British Royal Family and it's time for her to step things up. First, her first actual speech last month and now this Announcement. Both are very big, and combine it w/Kate wearing Prince Phillip's Wedding Gift Bracelet he designed for The Queen at The State Banquet a few weeks ago, also very visible signs of how Kate is viewed w/in the BRF IMO.

Quote:
Catherine's military appointment was a beautiful surprise. I'm glad she's now receiving some military positions of her own, and I'm sure she's going to do an amazing job on representing these thousands of cadets in the UK and abroad. I have full confidence in her and so does Prince Philip. You'd think he would've handed the role down to William or Harry, since he took over after the late King. It's a really big deal for him to hand the role over to his grand-daughter-in-law, The Duchess of Cambridge. I'm sure she's thrilled and so is William and the family.

Catherine's official senior royal role is expanding, and I'm very pleased indeed,

Also, West Point just named it's first female commandant of West Point’s Corps of Cadets today.

That it is and you can add me to the list of those who have full confidence in HRH. This is indeed a very big deal and sign of the confidence he has in Kate to not only handle the role well, but very well. :)

Quote:
Kate has taken her first military patronage - but will she ever let Prince George serve in the forces-

"Apropos Prince Philip, it’s said he’d like Kate to take over from him as Colonel of the Grenadier Guards.
Now in his 45th year with the Grenadiers, handing this duty to Kate would mean a lot to him."

Will Kate Middleton let Prince George serve in the forces? EPRHAIM HARDCASTLE writes | Daily Mail Online

I thought The Queen was Honourary Colonel of The Grenadier Guards?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-18-2015, 11:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I would take that article with a grain of salt especially with that headline. The answer is yes- George will serve in the military. Just like almost every male in his family. He is the future head of the armed forces. I don't think Kate will have a problem with it. She went through it will William. George isn't ever going to be put in the front line.
That's why it's ridiculous to even suggest it. Why do the newspapers print such inane things? Yes, I realise it's the Daily Mail, but still....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post

HM is the Colonel in Chief. Philip is the Colonel of the Regiment.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Dman isn't the only one who has been wanting a long time for this announcement. :). As I said a couple of months ago, she's entering her Fifth Year as a Senior Member of the British Royal Family and it's time for her to step things up. First, her first actual speech last month and now this Announcement. Both are very big, and combine it w/Kate wearing Prince Phillip's Wedding Gift Bracelet he designed for The Queen at The State Banquet a few weeks ago, also very visible signs of how Kate is viewed w/in the BRF IMO.

That it is and you can add me to the list of those who have full confidence in HRH. This is indeed a very big deal and sign of the confidence he has in Kate to not only handle the role well, but very well. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
The Queen is Colonel in Chief of The Grenadier Guards, but Prince Philip is the Honorary Colonel of the Regiment. If he hands it down to Catherine, she would be the Honorary Colonel of The Grenadier Guards.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-19-2015, 01:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Kate has been rather busy the past 5 years...it's not like she's been sitting home eating bon bons and watching soaps with nothing else to do.

I think it very smart of the BRF to give Kate TIME to find her footing and ease into things. Things appear to be moving along smoothly.

LaRae