What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also predict William and Catherine will have a third child within a year. But I believe they will keep it at three kids.

I'd say very unlikely. Why would they have another child? They have 2, a boy and a girl, and they are close In age so they will be able to be cared for together and be company for each other. Kate is in her 30s now and has had problems with both pregnancies. And I believe she and WIll are going to have to gradually increase their workload, so I doubt if she woud want a third child.

Kate is relatively young in childbearing years. She's only 34 - many women nowadays don't start their families until their mid 30's because they work first. Crown Princess Victoria has just had Oscar at 38 - the same age the Queen was when she had Edward. Sophie had Louise at 38 and James at 42 (and another pregnancy at 36.) Lady Helen Taylor had her youngest daughter at 40 and Lady Nicholas Windsor had her latest child in her mid 40's.

As far as problems go - her HG wasn't that bad, particularly with Charlotte. Some women with HG are sick throughout their entire pregnancy and are often unable to do anything. They lose weight rather than gain weight and are very unwell. Kate had a few nights stay in a hospital and then was out and about again. I think she could quite perfectly cope with another pregnancy if she and William were to choose to dos.

I'm secretly rooting for a little Princess Amelia or Prince Arthur... :)

I'd say very unlikely. Why would they have another child? They have 2, a boy and a girl, and they are close In age so they will be able to be cared for together and be company for each other. Kate is in her 30s now and has had problems with both pregnancies. And I believe she and WIll are going to have to gradually increase their workload, so I doubt if she woud want a third child.

The both said they wanted a large family. Why wouldn't they have 1 to 2 more?

Her medical condition is not such that she shouldn't have more children...after the first trimester she has gone about and done things just fine.

Her age is not an issue ...and workload? The Queen had a much heavier workload and had several children while carrying it out.

LaRae

Lets not count the children before they hatch... errrr chickens. :D

What I'm wondering is that with a new Prime Minister, will there be a State Opening of Parliament and what are the chances of William and Kate going? If they're heading for full time royal duties, this even would be a good indication of it.

I don't we will see the Cambridges at the State Opening until Charles is King. Charles, Camilla and Anne already attend in recent years.

They already did the opening for this year. The conservatives still control the parliament so I don't think a same party PM change would trigger a new ceremony. A Brit can probably answer.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The State Opening will happen next year as usual, and I would be very surprised if William/Kate attended.

This cul-de-sac of a topic was boring the first 6 million times we discussed it. W&K are not full time working royals but they will be someday, barring some kind of tragedy. That's about it.

Yes of course they wil be some day. I doubt if they will have more children. Most royals these days have stopped at 2 and they have their 2.. I feel that the public are pleased to see 2 little darlings, but they dont want a TOO large RF such as happened in the 80s wiht I think too many people on the royal roster... the more people there are, the more it costs and the more chances there are for people to make mistakes.
Gradually as time goes on, the public will be expecting to see W and kate moving towards more engagements. The queen is 90, she works very hard but she can't go on at full pace forever.. so gradually Charles will be taking on her job and W and K should be seen to be taking on more work.

It would be nice if the Cambridge's attended the State Opening in preparing for their future roles, but I'm thinking they will start as soon as Charles ascends.

I think them now attending State Banquets and Diplomatic Corps receptions are big indicators that William and Catheine are preparing to make the transition over. Next year, I think we will get the official word.

When it comes to the size of a family, the only ones that have an opinion that matters on it is the couple themselves. Its a private matter and not controlled by any other factors outside their relationship. If W&K want to have 10 children, that's their prerogative.

There isn't going to be another State Opening of Parliament this year. Parliament was never dissolved. It never closed, so it doesn't need to open again.

When it comes to the size of a family, the only ones that have an opinion that matters on it is the couple themselves. Its a private matter and not controlled by any other factors outside their relationship. If W&K want to have 10 children, that's their prerogative.
THey're not private citizens, and even in the days when large families were the norm, there was talk about how many children Victoria had and how were tehy all to be looked after from the public purse. I would say that having a large family is not at all likely. None of the queens children have had more than 2 children, and now that Will and K have had their second child, there is a bit of tut tutting from the press and public that they are not seen at public duties as much as is expected...

They are private citizens when it comes to determining the size of their families. Anne, Charles and Andrew's marriages were falling apart shortly after their second kids were born. Sophie lost a baby before Louise.

If that's the case then it should be that their younger children will have a certain rank but it will be clear that they are not members of the RF from the POV of doing engagements or being supported from the public purse. And none of thte minor royals who are miles away from the throne, and whose marriages are presumably stable, have had more than 2 kids. I think ti is time that Will and Kate started to do more work, and I cant see why they woudl have more children. They waited a few years into the marraiage, to start their family and have now had 2 children within a short time, so I'd imagine that they are trying to get child rearing out of the way and then start to do more work...I imagine that the queen now wants the grandchildren to have a bit of time to build their families and spend time with their young kids and has been willing to allow W and Kate those few years when they do that and he is still free to do his Helicopter job, but they had that time and now it is passing...

If that's the case then it should be that their younger children will have a certain rank but it will be clear that they are not members of the RF from the POV of doing engagements or being supported from the public purse.

None of them now are supported by a "public purse". Check the Royal Wealth and Finance thread or scroll back in this thread a bit and you'll see where the money comes from and where the money goes. :flowers:

Any future children of William and Kate won't be miles away from the throne. They will children of the monarch, siblings to a monarch. They will be ahead of Harry and his future kids. No one is talking about taking Harry's title and funding for Royal engagements away.

The public purse isn't paying for Charlotte's diapers or George's clothes. It's paying for the tea and cakes that people woof down at garden parties, repairs to the palaces, the salaries of the staff of BP etc.

None of them now are supported by a "public purse". Check the Royal Wealth and Finance thread or scroll back in this thread a bit and you'll see where the money comes from and where the money goes. :flowers:
Yes i know about that... but as members of the RF, any children of Will and Kate are going to get a certian amount of public money. they will have at least security, which costs the public purse and they will also need somewhere to live which is partly funded from the public purse. I feel that if they were to have a large family, the public would start to feel that there were too many of them.
I think that that was the problem in the late 80s, that there were too many royals out there, doing work, or not doing it and being seen as making a mess of things while being part of the UK's flagship family. Which is one reason why Charles is IMO trying to slim things back and confine royal duties to himlself and his 2 sons, when he is king. I doubt if he would be too happy to find that he had 7 grandchildren who had to be found roles, supported by his private weatlh and by the public.

Let's stay on topic...we do not need to speculate on any additional Cambridge children.

Any and all additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Lets not forget too that a lot of the public engagements that William, Harry and Kate do are not ones representing HM and the "Firm" but are related to their own Royal Foundation and their separate causes they're championing. This is an area I'm not totally sure how such events are funded.

They are funded by the charity of the event or their organizers. The foundation of these three is not a charity, it doesn't plan events and do work. It hands out money to other charities. The events Kate and William attend are planned, hosted and paid for by others.

These are the kind of events Kate could easily do without needing more money from Charles. For instance she is patron to the National Portrait gallery. They have little events, not parties but guest speakers or family days, that sort of thing. It would be easy enough when she is in London to attend one here or there. It would be sure to hit the news and get some pr for such programs. It wouldn't require 'extra staff or man hourrs' as there would be no speech or other concerns. I am sure she could google what the event is about while the kids nap. She has an extensive wardrobe so no cost for new outfit. And security would be the same as her going shopping or any private activity. And she could be gone for 2 hours, and it the kids were in London as usually are with them, likely wouldn't miss her.

They are funded by the charity of the event or their organizers. The foundation of these three is not a charity, it doesn't plan events and do work. It hands out money to other charities. The events Kate and William attend are planned, hosted and paid for by others.

These are the kind of events Kate could easily do without needing more money from Charles. For instance she is patron to the National Portrait gallery. They have little events, not parties but guest speakers or family days, that sort of thing. It would be easy enough when she is in London to attend one here or there. It would be sure to hit the news and get some pr for such programs. It wouldn't require 'extra staff or man hourrs' as there would be no speech or other concerns. I am sure she could google what the event is about while the kids nap. She has an extensive wardrobe so no cost for new outfit. And security would be the same as her going shopping or any private activity. And she could be gone for 2 hours, and it the kids were in London as usually are with them, likely wouldn't miss her.

Thanks much for the info and I totally agree with you. I do think that she probably keeps very much up to date with what the various charities are planning as its been stated that she does keep very well informed on what's going on. As the kids get older and involved with their own schooling, there'll be plenty of things to fill an afternoon in London. Once they do become full time royals, I expect that KP will be their main residence as planned.

Thanks much for the info and I totally agree with you. I do think that she probably keeps very much up to date with what the various charities are planning as its been stated that she does keep very well informed on what's going on. As the kids get older and involved with their own schooling, there'll be plenty of things to fill an afternoon in London. Once they do become full time royals, I expect that KP will be their main residence as planned.
I doubt it. Kate's not very intersted in work... I woudl say she will do what engagements are suggested to her, and that the RF/court advise but she's not going to keep up with her charities when she is not actually on schedule to do something.. and she's not going to do "litlte jobs" wth them....

I don't see anything going on that indicates to me Kate is not interested in working.

AGAIN for the 1,004,695 th time...they are not full time royals yet.

We know she does things behind the scenes...just because media isn't present doesn't mean she's sitting home watching soaps and eating bonbons.

LaRae

Kate has never shown initiative when it comes to work. For the 1,004,695 time the idea of her work shyness is not new and has not just developed since her marriage it has been going on for over a decade. She is 34yrs old and has only had part time jobs.
I suspect when they become full time that their advisors will push her to do more and she will just do what she is told; which isn't a bad thing some people are just better at following.

I don't see anything going on that indicates to me Kate is not interested in working.

We know she does things behind the scenes...just because media isn't present doesn't mean she's sitting home watching soaps and eating bonbons.

LaRae

Everything Kate has done - and not done - since she left university has indicated she is not interested in working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything Kate has done - and not done - since she left university has indicated she is not interested in working.

Catherine has been working since she left university. The problem people just didn't like the job she was doing and said that she wasn't doing "real" work. People have treated this one lady so much disrespect and spread lots of false rumors about her that it's not even funny.

So what if she's only had 'part time' jobs after university? There's plenty of people out there who do that ..why is it so criminal that Kate didn't work 60 hours a week?

That's nothing to do with us. Afterall women are supposed to be free to choose all these things without recriminations. Always interesting to see feminists jump on women because they aren't living how they think they should live.

LaRae

So what if she's only had 'part time' jobs after university? There's plenty of people out there who do that ..why is it so criminal that Kate didn't work 60 hours a week?

That's nothing to do with us. Afterall women are supposed to be free to choose all these things without recriminations. Always interesting to see feminists jump on women because they aren't living how they think they should live.

LaRae

It's a shame, because I notice women's worst critics are other women. They will tear each other down in a hot minute.

Catherine even worked while she was at St. Andrew's. She is now working as a senior member of the British Royal family. What the royals do is work, it's just on a different description and scale than others.

I doubt it. Kate's not very intersted in work... I woudl say she will do what engagements are suggested to her, and that the RF/court advise but she's not going to keep up with her charities when she is not actually on schedule to do something.. and she's not going to do "litlte jobs" wth them....

How do you know that Catherine is not doing work behind the scenes or making private visits to her charities? Do you think that everything she does has to be reported on? I'm willing to bet that she visits her charities privately and is up to date on what's going on. It's a lot easier to do a private visit, because there's no press and the attention is shifted in the right direction. We don't know what goes on and what is suggested to the Duchess by her advisors. That's not our business. And same goes for any work that she does behind the scenes.

LaRae

Thank you! It feels like we're beating the same dead horse since 2011 and it's just getting old. When their time comes, the Duke and Duchess will be out and about and then people will be complaining that attention is being taken away from the Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall and other members of the Royal Family. No matter what, there will be those who are always unhappy with this couple.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Dear everyone here:

For 10,000,000th time - William and Kate are not full time royals yet.

And I don't have words for some of the posts here,

Back
Top Bottom