The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-19-2016, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think they are judging and an assessing each other but the press and Royal fans like here on this forum. They are the ones comparing engagement numbers. The Daily Mail writes a story that Sophie doesn't like Kate and disapproves of her parenting technique even though there is no evidence to support it and the evidence actually shows Sophie and Kate appear to get on well.

They are a family first. We see them interacting all the time. Kate and Andrew were chatting to each other during the Festival of Rememberance, during the Olympics we saw a wide variety of family at the various events together. Kate, Anne and Tim were on a boat watching the sailing. I would be scared to hang out with Anne on a boat for several hours. We have seen Zara, Autumn, Peter warmly hug Charles at Polo.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 04-19-2016, 10:36 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I was watching the video. And he was talking about having just left the military. That for the past 10 years he was reminded the queen want simply his grandmother, she was his boss. That he and all of his military comrades shared the same boss. The difference?? (which he pointed out) when they go home for Christmas with their families, he sits down for dinner with the boss. At least in that interview, he was referring to her as the commander and chief of the army, making her his boss in his military role. Not his role as prince.

Wasn't William in the military as well?

Old 04-19-2016, 04:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes Wiliiam was also, he left the military before Harry.

LaRae
Old 04-19-2016, 08:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Most people are not ardent monarchists, but they support the monarchy for two reasons: 1 - Because it has always been there. 2 - They don't like politicians.

And here are some other facts to what you wrote:

1 - According to several experts, there are more people who support the monarchy today with a very critical press than it was in 1952 with a very uncritical press.

2 - There have always been many republicans in the parliament, but as former political editor of Sky News, and current presenter of Sky News Tonight Adam Bolton said in 2012, they are more careful about expressing them self now than they were in 70, 80 and 90s.

3 - It's also an known fact that if the young Queen had made some big mistakes in the 50s and 60s, it would have been much easier to abolish the monarchy then, than it had been today.

4 - William has not put a premium on privacy for himself and his family. He and Kate are not full-time working royals, but they have traweled on several official tours, did many walkabouts, he has given interviews both before and after he married Kate etc, and we will see much more of this in the future.

The monarchy is a big part of Britain's identity and as YouGov said last year, its here to stay.

This will be my last post on the monarchy's future in this thread.
I rarely ever post, but I think the Monarchy is here to stay for a very basic reason. It attracts tourists to the UK. They may be supported by tax payers, but they also make a lot of money for the country too. I would love to go to the UK , but if there were no royal family I could care less. There is a whole mystique that surrounds this, particularly to us Americans.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I rarely ever post, but I think the Monarchy is here to stay for a very basic reason. It attracts tourists to the UK. They may be supported by tax payers, but they also make a lot of money for the country too. I would love to go to the UK , but if there were no royal family I could care less. There is a whole mystique that surrounds this, particularly to us Americans.
I agree. I went to London two weeks ago, and as a person from a country without monarchy I was fascinated for being there. I kept 5 pounds because of the Queen's face
Around Buckingham Palace and the Victoria memorial there was so many people IMO, London attracts many people because of the Monarchy as well.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post

I think it helps tourism or at least adds a certain something to an already awesome trip. I went to the UK last year. It was cool to see actual working palaces, like BP and Windsor. While Westminster Abbey is famous for many many historic events beyond the most recent wedding, I admit it added something to the visit since I watched it on TV.

That said, given my love of history (especially British history), decorative arts, architecture, museums, etc.....the UK would have been well worth a visit whether they still had a royal family or not.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic please.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video: The Duke of Cambridge Interview-
Prince William: 'I don't lie awake waiting to be king' - BBC News

Prince William has done many interviews before, but this interview with BBC's Royal Correspondent, Nicholas Witchell, is by far the best interview William has ever done, IMO. Whereas other interviewers has carefully tiptoed around certain subjects with William, Nicholas went straight to the point with him and got the answers he wanted. I think we all wanted these answers.

I got the sense that William has a level head about his duties as a- husband, father, air ambulance pilot and future King. When his air ambulance contract ends, things will change and I think he's ready for it.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-20-2016, 09:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't like the title. I don't like how the question of becoming king sounds always misleading and reluctant. Yes, I sad that.

By the way, my favourite interview was the one with sky news. It went straight to the point as well.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

It's always seems awkward when they interview William and Charles and ask about wanting to become King. When they do become King, it is a mix of emotions, you have the challenge of this new position but it comes with the death of your parent to get it.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

Prince William has done many interviews before, but this interview with BBC's Royal Correspondent, Nicholas Witchell, is by far the best interview William has ever done, IMO. Whereas other interviewers has carefully tiptoed around certain subjects with William, Nicholas went straight to the point with him and got the answers he wanted. I think we all wanted these answers.

I got the sense that William has a level head about his duties as a- husband, father, air ambulance pilot and future King. When his air ambulance contract ends, things will change and I think he's ready for it.
I'm afraid Prince William didn't strike the right tone in this interview. To me, he often came across exactly as his critics portray him, i.e. as a self-centered person who puts his family life and personal interests above public duty. I was particularly surprised that he actually implied that taking a publc role might weigh someone down "at an early age". That is quite offensive IMHO for a person who lives a life of privilege (unlike many really "weighed-down" people of a similar age) and is expected to serve the country in return for the privilege that is extended to him.

I know many posters will disagree with me, but that is how I feel about it.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:56 AM
Aristocracy

I think the interview was very carefully designed to look like Witchell was asking the hard hitting questions, while actually being a case of William and his team getting a very specific message out there.

Now, I tend to think it's an honest message; I do think William thinks very carefully and is highly aware of the duty he's accepted. But the interview was designed to answer the critics.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

I saw the duty waying you down as a young age as you don't have the freedom to chose your life path, you have this role eventually that you are born into that you didn't chose that is your destiny. To fulfill this destiny your family has to die, the world will watch your every move from the day you are born until the day you die. That's a pretty heady thought especially say for a teenager. A regular teenage mind is confused enough and now drop this Royal thing on top of it.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
I think the interview was very carefully designed to look like Witchell was asking the hard hitting questions, while actually being a case of William and his team getting a very specific message out there.

Now, I tend to think it's an honest message; I do think William thinks very carefully and is highly aware of the duty he's accepted. But the interview was designed to answer the critics.
I think other interviewers have tiptoed around William too much. Nicholas Witchell decided to go there and tried to get to the bottom of the real issue at hand, IMO. William appeared cool, calm and comfortable in answering the hard hitting and inevitable questions. Both sides got what they wanted to get across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I'm afraid Prince William didn't strike the right tone in this interview. To me, he often came across exactly as his critics portray him, i.e. as a self-centered person who puts his family life and personal interests above public duty. I was particularly surprised that he actually implied that taking a publc role might weigh someone down "at an early age". That is quite offensive IMHO for a person who lives a life of privilege (unlike many really "weighed-down" people of a similar age) and is expected to serve the country in return for the privilege that is extended to him.

I believe William knows what lies ahead of him and he's ready to embrace it. Priorities have to be straight though. He knows how important royal duties are, but he must put his family first and royal duties second. One can't properly do the job, if ones private family life isn't taken care of. His top priority is his wife and kids.

His own parents did the opposite, he knows only to well how that all turned out.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-20-2016, 10:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:

I agree! The interviewer put it right out there and William answered. I very much respect his openness.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
I agree! The interviewer put it right out there and William answered. I very much respect his openness.
I agree. William was more candid in this interview than ever before.

While watching him, I've came to the conclusion that his mother and father raised him very well. He's not an obnoxious, terribly spoiled and stuck up Prince.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Royal Highness

BBC royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell (which is by far my favorite) has said live on BBC News Channel that he thinks that William will follow in the Queen's footsteps and be completely above politics, and said that this comes as a relief to many.

I can reassure both Nicholas Witchell and all the others who are concerned about the monarchy's future under Charles. As a close friend of him (which I don't remember the name of) said during the Diamond Jubilee: He's going to be as apoltical as the Queen, just wait and see.

I lov and adore the Queen, but I have read almost all her speeches, talked with many who have followed her for 50-60 years, and as several journalists/ekxperts have said: She isn't as apolitical as people think. She is known to ask very tough questions to policans, and have repeatedly shared her opinions with people, but its never been leaked to the media. And what with 1986, which could have lead to a Constitutional crisis.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

I agree with you.
Prince William says being a pilot and a dad means he is 'doing another worthwhile job' | Daily Mail Online
Old 04-20-2016, 10:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I believe William knows what lies ahead of him and he's ready to embrace it. Priorities have to be straight though. He knows how important royal duties are, but he must put his family first and royal duties second. One can't properly do the job, if ones private family life isn't taken care of. His top priority is his wife and kids.

His own parents did the opposite, he knows only to well how that all turned out.

I don't see why the two things (private family life and public duty) should be incompatible. After all, we all work full-time and still have a private family life, don't we ? And it is not like Prince William is a terribly busy person to the point of having to be away from his wife and kids, as was the case with his grandmother who became queen at a much younger age than William is now.

William may have the excuse that he is not the heir (his father is), but, still, I think his sense of duty as a person directly in line to the throne is lacking compared to some of his royal counterparts in continental Europe.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:03 AM
Courtier

His royal counterparts in continental Europe are children, toddlers and/or not born yet